Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Sir Alex Ferguson has today released a statement about Manchester United planned share issue.

"Being aware of the media coverage that is currently ongoing I felt, on this occasion, that I should make my position clear to the Manchester United fans.

"In regards to suggestions that I have praised the Glazer Family because I stand to financially benefit from the proposed IPO, there is not a single grain of truth in this allegation. I do not receive any payments, directly or indirectly, from the IPO.

"Ultimately, I run the football side of this club and in order to do this, you need backing from above.

"The Glazer family have let me get on with my job, there is no interference or obstruction, only support.

"My decisions and beliefs are not based around what is best for my personal financial gain. That is an accusation that insults me. If that was the case, I would have left Old Trafford a long time ago.

"I am speaking out because I do not want a situation to develop whereby the media and other parties create a rift, however small, between myself and any Manchester United fan. I've spent 25 years of my life pushing this club forward and not only could I not have done it without those fans, I do it for them."

Apoligies if this has been mentioned on previous pages as I am working back a few pages... but...

Has anyone considered that this may be a negative thing? What I mean is, Fergie has now PUBLICLY committed himself to the fact that he does NOT stand to gain from this, but what if it turns out that he does? It is not unreasonable to think that he would recieve some sort of bonus out of all of this (I AM NOT SAYING FOR 1 SECOND THAT HE WILL OR HAS PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF SUCH) but IF it did come out he did, they surely his position is under threat, it simply has to be..

By making this statement he has 'picked a corner' as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

According to reports in ESPN Brasil, São Paulo have said ‘no’ to an official €25 million (£19.6 million) offer from Inter Milan for Lucas Moura. The bid is less than that offered by Manchester United and was immediately turned down. ESPN Brasil also say that Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala are willing to top United’s offer but that the player and his parents are set on a move to Old Trafford.
    http://pitacodogringo.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/sao-paulo-turn-down-inter-milan-and-anzhi-offers-for-lucas-moura-player-wants-manchester-united-move/

I can see this turning into a last minute deal (if it goes ahead)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

By making this statement he has 'picked a corner' as such

Eh? All he said was he's not receiving any payments as part of the IPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Nani is the only exciting player at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There's something strangely exciting about Bebe too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

zerks wrote: »

I wont be too unhappy if the Moura deal falls through. He is not what we need and Utd offering less than 25M tells me Fergie was not too serious about getting him here, its just another to good a youth prospect to pass up so lets try a bid situation imo. The money could be better spent on a holding midfeilder.

We are not in bad shape for wingers, but in the centre we are not up to scratch, spend the money there instead or if we can't get anyone in there and only if we cant then throw more money at the RVP transfer.

I have been underwhelemed with the idea of Moura coming to Utd since the story broke. Its got the "meh" factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Nani is the only exciting player at Old Trafford.

I think exciting is the wrong word, but he's the only player, along with Rooney, who is capable of producing a moment of pure world class play out of nothing. That goal against Chelsea last season is an example. Only Rooney (and maybe, just maybe Young the odd time) would have done something like that.

We have Kagawa as well who will hopefully help with that in the season ahead.

Eh? All he said was he's not receiving any payments as part of the IPO.

Maybe 'picked his corner' is the wrong phrase to use there... (as it implies he chose a corner in the fans vs glazers issue, which is not what I meant at all)

maybe 'backed himself into a corner' would be better.. By making that information public he has stuck his neck out, because surely if it did come out that he did in the end (all hypothetical of course) gain from it then surely his position would be under threat???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

540324_505184292828671_1476861598_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Hope he rots in Juventus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

LostBoy101 wrote: »

Harsh. He preferred Juve so chose them. Rainy Mancfester v Turin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Would have been much more reassured about Nani's future if he had got the shirt number 7.

iirc, Nani sees the number 17 as a lucky number, or something along those lines, I remember reading it in this thread during the Euros, his number is also 17 for Portugal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Maybe 'picked his corner' is the wrong phrase to use there... (as it implies he chose a corner in the fans vs glazers issue, which is not what I meant at all)

maybe 'backed himself into a corner' would be better.. By making that information public he has stuck his neck out, because surely if it did come out that he did in the end (all hypothetical of course) gain from it then surely his position would be under threat???
    Or just maybe he has nothing to hide........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

LostBoy101 wrote: »

Come on, that's not warranted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

540324_505184292828671_1476861598_n.jpg

"In other news, Juventus bosses reveal to Pogba what the likely number of games he'll play next season for the first team is in a new, unique way...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,436 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reports in Italy that Inter have agreed a fee with Sao Paolo for Lucas.

Don't know if it is true, and even if it was it doesn't mean Inter have signed him, obviously. Will be interesting to see if United make a new as a result of this (if true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

DM-ICE wrote: »
    money is not his motivation

Rock of Gibraltar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

G.K. wrote: »
    Come on, that's not warranted.

Particularly when you see the quote from Ferguson last summer saying that Pogba would be playing a decent part in the season ahead as if he didn't he'd understandably want to leave.

He didn't feature. He wanted to leave. Ferguson & Utd can have no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Selling Nani and keeping Young makes next to no sense. Wrists will be slit if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

How many midfielders are ahead of Pogba in the pecking order at Juventus? It's looking like he is 6-7th choice, but money was not the motivation...

• Advertisement

It was mooted a while back that he would go out to Udinese for the season in return for Isla and Asamoah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Don't know if it is true, and even if it was it doesn't mean Inter have signed him, obviously. Will be interesting to see if United make a new as a result of this (if true)

Weren't there 'reports' yesterday that PSG were signing him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was mooted a while back that he would go out to Udinese for the season in return for Isla and Asamoah.

I have it in my head he will be playing for Bologna this season for some reason!

Paulo Freitas‏@Cynegeticus

São Paulo's vice-president talked to 'Lance!', he said he isn't aware of an #Inter offer, But that a #MUFC offer wasn't good enough

Reports in Italy seem to be the usual

kryogen wrote: »
    I have it in my head he will be playing for Bologna this season for some reason!

There was definitely a more recent rumour that he would go to a smaller-name club in Serie A as well, it might have been Bologna but conversely it may have not have been, I can't remember.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Or just maybe he has nothing to hide........

I did say.... "all hypothetical of course"

Play devils advocate for a second and discuss if it were true, what would people think?

There was definitely a more recent rumour that he would go to a smaller-name club in Serie A as well, it might have been Bologna but conversely it may have not have been, I can't remember.

Its something I heard ages and ages ago, even while he was still technically a United player from an Italian chap, he was saying if he signed for Juve he would more then likely be farmed out to Bologna for the first season, just stuck with me I guess

Agreed, he will be farmed out for sure rather than be pushing for a starting place come next season...

I say best of luck to the lad, he was badly advised but he made his decision, and don't forget - at the end of the day it was his decision.

I wish Pogba nothing but good luck in his future career, it is a real shame it will not be at United. Losing a youth player has never hurt this much that I can remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I wish Pogba nothing but good luck in his future career, it is a real shame it will not be at United. Losing a youth player has never hurt this much that I can remember

Not a similar disappointment when Morrison left?

Eathrin wrote: »
    Not a similar disappointment when Morrison left?

Nope, much more disappointed with Pogba leaving.

I had ranked them Pogba, Morrison, Petrucci in terms of who I thought could really be first teamers a couple of years ago, then Petrucci had his injury troubles and it was just Pog and Ravel, Pogba seemed nailed on to me, Ravel, well it was up to him tbh and he fcuked up chance after chance, actually glad to see the back of him in the end if Im really honest.

Petrucci returned to form when he got fit last year and imho outperformed Pogba for the reserves, I really hope he pushes on again this season, Fergie knew if Pog didnt get his chance he would be leaving, he didnt give him a real chance so no complaints there. I now see a spot in the squad for Tunni where I was unsure before, and Lingard has come on leaps and bounds too. Hopefully they will continue to impress, but I view none of them in the way I viewed Pogba.

Petrucci I hope can have an impact but he needs to be looked after properly.

Along the same lines of a youth player, I felt very disappointed when Pique actually went home.... I know technically not a youth player & not a whole lot we could do, but sickining all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I did say.... "all hypothetical of course"

Play devils advocate for a second and discuss if it were true, what would people think?

I wouldn't care and I don't think it would lead to his resignation. He's not a public figure akin to a politician. It would make him look like a hypocrite but aside from that there'd be nothing else to it. It wouldn't affect his employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I had ranked them Pogba, Morrison, Petrucci in terms of who I thought could really be first teamers a couple of years ago, then Petrucci had his injury troubles and it was just Pog and Ravel, Pogba seemed nailed on to me, Ravel, well it was up to him tbh and he fcuked up chance after chance, actually glad to see the back of him in the end if Im really honest.

Petrucci returned to form when he got fit last year and imho outperformed Pogba for the reserves, I really hope he pushes on again this season, Fergie knew if Pog didnt get his chance he would be leaving, he didnt give him a real chance so no complaints there. I now see a spot in the squad for Tunni where I was unsure before, and Lingard has come on leaps and bounds too. Hopefully they will continue to impress, but I view none of them in the way I viewed Pogba.

Petrucci I hope can have an impact but he needs to be looked after properly.

Mine was bit reverse, I rated Ravel more than Pogba but Morrison never played as a midfielder, I mean CM. He was a attacking midfielder playing from wide or behind the striker. Most of the games Morrison dominated reserves than any United player. He was just unplayable at times. Shame he ended the way it did. If not we could have had two fantastic prospects.

Re Petrucci, I was very much impressed with his attitude. He was injured for 2 years, came back strongly and adapted to his new role and was one of the best players in the reserves. He was not afraid to challenged 50/50 ball either. Hopefully we give chances to him this season, also there were reports that he rejected offers from Serie A to stay at United and in his interview he made it very clear how much he wanted to make it at United. I just wish Morrison had this attitude and drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Re: Youth players.

I loved watching Rav and Pogba the season before last. For the first time in a long long time, we had one home grown from underage level (Rav) to be excited about. I still expect Rav to be a success. Really a natural with the ball at his feet.

Pogba again we've lost out here, if he stays at Juve this season I expect him to break into the first team. He has that much ability.

Last season we lost 2 players that in 2/3 years time we will see just what the could have been for us. I have no fear in saying that (imo) SAF really dropped the ball on this one, particularly in relation to Pogba. Rav, i think he was forced to play him or sell him. I think he was good enough to get games. I also think that neither player moved for more money. The sole reason here was United dicked them around in relation to game time.

lordgoat wrote: »
    . The sole reason here was United dicked them around in relation to game time.

And playing Rafael as CM ahead of Pogba was just beyond joke.

Pogba would have been great player for us, he has all the attributes and also the physical presence. And Ravel would have been the player to come up with moment of magic. Shame really, last season and before that I was not much worried when we didn't sign CM as we had Pogba and also Morrison. So always felt they will get the game time and we will have CM sorted for years.

Now our hope is Petrucci and also Lingard. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

. I also think that neither player moved for more money. The sole reason here was United dicked them around in relation to game time.

Morisson was f8cked out as he was a pup, simple as that.

Pogba said clearly that he had no problems with Fergie and he would be the only reason he would stay, so i am 100% sure that Pogba left due to money and not cost of team selections.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Re: Youth players.

I loved watching Rav and Pogba the season before last. For the first time in a long long time, we had one home grown from underage level (Rav) to be excited about. I still expect Rav to be a success. Really a natural with the ball at his feet.

Pogba again we've lost out here, if he stays at Juve this season I expect him to break into the first team. He has that much ability.

Last season we lost 2 players that in 2/3 years time we will see just what the could have been for us. I have no fear in saying that (imo) SAF really dropped the ball on this one, particularly in relation to Pogba. Rav, i think he was forced to play him or sell him. I think he was good enough to get games. I also think that neither player moved for more money. The sole reason here was United dicked them around in relation to game time.

I think it's a bit unfair to say that Pogba was dicked around and that SAF dropped the ball. We are not privy to most of what goes on in the club. We cannot gauge training sessions and attitudes.

There were games last year when it can be argued that Pogba should have been given his chance, but in the end I trust SAF's judgement to not play him. Maybe his attitude wasn't great despite his obvious talents.

Id look towards the agent IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pogba would have been great player for us, he has all the attributes and also the physical presence. And Ravel would have been the player to come up with moment of magic.
    Pure conjecture. Every chance that Pogba and Morrison could have been Ben Thornleys rather than David Beckhams. You cannot say anything for certain about young players. Time for everyone to forget these players and focus on who we have got. They're gone. Deal with it.

• Advertisement

Pure conjecture. Every chance that Pogba and Morrison could have been Ben Thornleys rather than David Beckhams. You cannot say anything for certain about young players. Time for everyone to forget these players and focus on who we have got. They're gone. Deal with it.

Yeah it was just a hope/guess with how they were playing.

Will focus on what we have got. B3B3 :cool: Can't stop scoring. Goal Machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That's a very valid point, does anyone remember the Man City midfielder, he's still on their books, is it Johnson? (Could be way off with regards the name)
    Tipped for glory after a few games of wonder in the 1st team, went mental and hasn't returned to any form at all, there was a recent article on him in the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yeah it was just a hope/guess with how they were playing.

Will focus on what we have got. B3B3 :cool: Can't stop scoring. Goal Machine.

All joking aside, he's actually looked decent.
    He probably won't feature in the united 1st team much, but if you look at his age in conjunction with his progress and add in the HUGE injuries he's had I think he's developing well.

A loan spell with regular 1st team football and him playing up front where his power and pace will give teams something to think about and I believe we could recoup a good chunk of the initial fee.

I have more respect for BEBE than I ever will for Pogba / Ravel and he's a player im REALLY wishing makes a good living for himself.

Sky Sport Italia claimed late last night that Inter Milan have agreed a £21m fee (rising to £25m) with Sao Paulo for the Brazilian.

Bit odd that seeing as we were reported to have offered more but it still wasn't enough???
    On a purely financial level it would be in the players & agent's interest to join United thanks to the clause in Moura's contract entitling him to a hefty percentage of any transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Man Utd may miss out on Lucas Moura

40184.2.jpg
    © Getty Images
    ... Sky Sport Italia reported late on Thursday evening that Inter had trumped their powerful rivals by agreeing to a €27 million transfer fee, which could rise to €32 million depending on appearances.

Earlier on Thursday, Inter president Massimo Moratti confirmed director Marco Branca had been in "ongoing" negotiations with Sao Paulo officials over the transfer fee.
    "As you know we are strongly interested in the guy," Moratti told Sky Sport Italia. "But our interest does not compel us to accept every kind of condition imposed."

ESPN

Man Utd chief: Expect £40m summer spend

40054.2.jpg
    © PA Photos
    Speaking at an investor roadshow ahead of the club's IPO, Bolingbroke said that United's net spend over the last 10-15 years had averaged out at between £20-25 million but added: "We are giving guidance at the moment that the current transfer period could result in net expenditure nearer £40 million."

ESPN

All joking aside, he's actually looked decent.
    He probably won't feature in the united 1st team much, but if you look at his age in conjunction with his progress and add in the HUGE injuries he's had I think he's developing well.

A loan spell with regular 1st team football and him playing up front where his power and pace will give teams something to think about and I believe we could recoup a good chunk of the initial fee.

I have more respect for BEBE than I ever will for Pogba / Ravel and he's a player im REALLY wishing makes a good living for himself.

It was nothing against him, anyways last year I copied/pasted the post from Besiktas fan who was really happy with how Bebe played in the preseason for them and how impressive he was in the training and then he got injured. He rated him and if we can loan him to championship teams or smaller teams in the league, maybe we can good decent fee for him.

James Ducker from The Times is reporting that another £40 million is available to spend as the fees for Kagawa & Powell have been offset by transfers out & loans.

Having £40 million would mean the pursuit of 2 or maybe 3 more players.

Sao Paulo vice-president Joao Paulo de Jesus Lopes has denied reports that they have agreed any deal with Inter Milan over the transfer of starlet Lucas Moura.

Reports in Italy on Thursday stated that a deal has been struck between the two clubs, with just Lucas left to agree personal terms with the Italian giants.

However, the Brazilian outfit have now dismissed these reports, with Paulo de Jesus Lopes claiming that they have held official talks only with Manchester United.
    "I'm not aware of this information," he told Lancenet. "I was with (Sao Paulo president) Juvenal Juvenicio yesterday (Wednesday) and today (Thursday).

"We sat only to negotiate with Manchester United, but their offer was not good enough."

Lucas, 19, is one of the best young players in world football and is currently in action for Brazil at the Olympics.

He has previously said he will make a decision on his future after the Olympics after Sir Alex Fergusonconfirmed United's interest last month.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7959236/-No-Inter-offer-for-Lucas

Same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I'm well and truly bored by this story now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Manchester United make scouting check on Celtic's Victor Wanyama
    article-1343910348972-14555F8D000005DC-700894_466x310.jpg
    Man United are considering a £7million bid for Celtic's Victor Wanyama (Picture: Action Images)
    Manchester United are understood to be front runners for the player, and sent trusted scout Martin Ferguson, brother of manager Sir Alex, to watch Wanyama in Champions League action last night (Wednesday)

Metro

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement