Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I like the font chevrolet is printed in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mars Bar wrote: »
    We'd want to be seeing every penny of it going to pay off the debt to really be worth it's terrible logo.

Better then vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Owen_S wrote: »
    At the moment it is not too far ahead of some other major club's sponsorship deals, and even with the fees/rise in a few years, it won't be very special compared to other sponsorship deals. People are getting carried away.

Barcelona are getting €30 million a season for their deal. This one with Chevrolet starts off at €64 million and finishes at €74 million per season. That's more than Barca will earn over the course of two seasons.

It's a hell of a lot ahead of other deals at the moment.

I know other teams will probably be getting that money in 5 years time but that's up to them. Plus we're getting $18 million over the next two season while we still have a deal with AON. Again that's more than almost all the teams in the PL are getting.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    We'd want to be seeing every penny of it going to pay off the debt to really be worth it's terrible logo.

Hopefully so. I'm hoping that this deal was the reason for the change in the IPO terms. I know it's a bit of a naive thing to wish for but we can always try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Barcelona are getting €30 million a season for their deal. This one with Chevrolet starts off at €64 million and finishes at €74 million per season. That's more than Barca will earn over the course of two seasons.

It's a hell of a lot ahead of other deals at the moment.

Hopefully so. I'm hoping that this deal was the reason for the change in the IPO terms. I know it's a bit of a naive thing to wish for but we can always wish.
    It's only fair to compare this deal to projected sponsorship deals in the future, as in 2021 we could regret this. Just look back at the numbers 4-5 years ago and get an idea at how rapidly sponsorship deals are increasing.
    Other clubs also have the advantage of selling naming rights, and loopholes to make FFP pointless.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/08/manchester-city-deal-etihad-airways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Bayern's deal with Deutsche Telecom was the biggest in Europe before we signed with Chevrolet, and their deal was worth £25 Million a year. We're doing exceptionally well out of this.

Yer man who signed it however...

Chevrolet's press release about becoming only the fifth shirt sponsor of the club in its history was sugar and spice and all things nice.

Strange then, the General Motors, Chevrolet's parent company sacked its head of Marketing, Joel Ewanick, at almost the same time, with a curt statement which read, "He failed to meet the expectations that the company has for its employees".

The statement about the Man United deal says it was signed for "an undisclosed amount" – which is ironic because rumour has it that GM didn't know the full amount either – Ewanick is said to have kept the details from his bosses.

Considering that GM is one of the most process-driven companies in the world, and that it is still partly state owned by a reluctant US government on the look-out for any misbehaviour, that would be an amazing situation. At GM you don't buy paperclips without three levels of approval – keeping the details of a multi-million pound deal secret at GM is about as sensible as trying a casual break-in at MI6 HQ.
    http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/07/31/chevrolet-delighted-with-man-united-deal-then-sacks-the-man-wh/

No wonder he got the boot.

• Advertisement

It's only fair to compare this deal to projected sponsorship deals in the future, as in 2021 we could regret this. Just look back at the numbers 4-5 years ago and get an idea at how rapidly sponsorship deals are increasing.
    Other clubs also have the advantage of selling naming rights, and loopholes to make FFP pointless.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/08/manchester-city-deal-etihad-airways

That Etihad deal looks very dodgy though. Not every club will be able to do that.
    Bayern's deal with Deutsche Telecom was the biggest in Europe before we signed with Chevrolet, and their deal was worth £25 Million a year. We're doing exceptionally well out of this.

Yer man who signed it however...

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/07/31/chevrolet-delighted-with-man-united-deal-then-sacks-the-man-wh/

No wonder he got the boot.

How the hell did the deal go ahead then if he kept the details from management?

It wasn't long ago that GM were on the verge of being shut down. I'm amazed that it ever happened and especially with the figures involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I seem to recall at the time Wenger was very upset by this deal.... Did he not complain that this was done to simply help offset the heavy handed spending City were doing at the time? Something about balancing the books ahead of the financial fair play???

Also with regards looking to the future, unfortunately given the financial state of the club at present we need these sort of deals to give us hope that there will be light at the end of the debt tunnel in the forseeable future, this deal in my eyes provides some sort of financial hope for us, at least we know there is income from this, how it is spent though is a different subject matter....

In short, this can only be good news for Utd :o

Ever since they were bailed out, cost approvals are said to have been ridiculously stringent. Triple signatures for paper clips and that. The deal is sensational, in every sense of the word.

Ever since they were bailed out, cost approvals are said to have been ridiculously stringent. Triple signatures for paper clips and that. The deal is sensational, in every sense of the word.

I've got very limited knowledge of business deals and all that, but is there a chance that they could renege on this deal?

Have all the documents been signed?

I've got very limited knowledge of business deals and all that, but is there a chance that they could renege on this deal?

Have all the documents been signed?

If they could have, I'd say they would have already :pac:

Once the replacement started trying to put a brave face on it, about how proud they were to do this deal which management disapproved of so much, I knew our money was safe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

People are mixing this deal with a previous deal involving Chevrolet and United. Nobody's getting the bullet for the shirt sponsorship deal...the controversy and the guy's departure are linked to a previous deal.

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    People are mixing this deal with a previous deal involving Chevrolet and United. Nobody's getting the bullet for the shirt sponsorship deal...the controversy and the guy's departure are linked to a previous deal.

It was the previous deal that we signed with them. The one back in May that made them our official car sponsors I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The fact Chevrolet also signed a sponsorship deal with Liverpool in the last week is strange.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18980569

Opr

It was the previous deal that we signed with them. The one back in May that made them our official car sponsors I think?

Exactly.

This guy got into trouble for the deal making Chevrolet official car supplier to United back in May. The controversy doesn't relate to the shirt sponsorship.

It seems to have been a case of GM feeling that "there's no benefit to being official car supplier but there is to being lead sponsor".

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-chevrolets-manchester-united-sponsorship-is-a-waste-of-money-2012-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I see people talking about Pogba if he stayed he would have got games this season so what do people think about Petrucci. From reports he was better than Pogba last year so should he stick around next year or go on loan. I havent seen enough of him the odd reserve game and during pre season. He seems to have a great range of passing. Again im sure other posters would have seen more of him than me. But i think its looking more likely that Fergie is not going to sign a midfielder. Im a muppet who loves seeing young players getting matches but do people think it would be a disaster if Petrucci was kept around and involved next season and we dont sign a midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I see people talking about Pogba if he stayed he would have got games this season so what do people think about Petrucci. From reports he was better than Pogba last year so should he stick around next year or go on loan. I havent seen enough of him the odd reserve game and during pre season. He seems to have a great range of passing. Again im sure other posters would have seen more of him than me. But i think its looking more likely that Fergie is not going to sign a midfielder. Im a muppet who loves seeing young players getting matches but do people think it would be a disaster if Petrucci was kept around and involved next season and we dont sign a midfielder.

No tank, it would not be a disaster, but he has had a couple of years of non stop injury up till last season where he really impressed, so his development has got to have been affected, keeping him for the first half of the season, letting him get more games under his belt and hopefully some CC cup or FA cup games would be great, if he is going well I would love to see him loaned out in January then.

Don't think he is ready for the first team at United yet.

My own personal issue with our midfield situation is that a favourable, progressive outcome hinges on everything going right. Scholes and Giggs have to not fade physically, suffer from an extended run of poor form or get injured, big risks at their age. Cleverley and Anderson have to stay fit all season and I've no faith in that happening with Anderson for a start. They both have to perform consistently over a season as well, question marks over both with regard to that. Carrick can't get injured. Way, way too many what if's. I've no problem with Petrucci being kept around the club this season and I hope he's phased in properly, it has to be a gradual process, a League Cup game here and a few minutes in the Premier League and Champions' League there. But we badly need reinforcement, both physically and creatively. Giggs, Scholes and Fletcher all need replacing NOW. It's unfair to pin it all on Petrucci, not saying that you're doing that. But we need more of both bodies and quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Theoretically with the midfielders we have and if they were playing at the top of their game we would have real strength in a title bid but the chances of that happening due to Injury and age/fatigue are slim to none.

On another note, between Rooney and Berba, there's a potentially quality cm partnership right there. Not saying we should actually do this but to me it looks like they have the right attributes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

opr wrote: »
    The fact Chevrolet also signed a sponsorship deal with Liverpool in the last week is strange.

Opr

Maybe it'll be the start of a beautiful relationship between the two clubs. Bonded together by Chevrolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

J. Marston wrote: »
    opr wrote: »

Opr

Maybe it'll be the start of a beautiful relationship between the two clubs. Bonded together by Chevrolet.

I see the storyline for a Disney movie right there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Antonio 'The Machine' Valencia's birthday.. Hopefully he will continue his second half of the season form and even improve on it.

article-2123199-12712214000005DC-138_634x399.jpg

Oh forgot to add, OUR NEW #7..

tumblr_m6m7x0FHGU1qg38m8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

So is Michael Owen clubless now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

So is Michael Owen clubless now?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Reports gathering in Spain that we are closing on a deal to sign Llorente for FREE in January.

He was even booed by his own fans. Always a sign the player is on the way out.

Surely other teams will also move for him, City included. One theory could be that City have nabbed Van Persie and this is United's reaction. He would certainly add another dimension and would love to be feeding on Valencia's crosses.

Sorry can't provide link, on the phone at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Reports gathering in Spain that we are closing on a deal to sign Llorente for FREE in January.

Surely other teams will also move for him, City included. One theory could be that City have nabbed Van Persie and this is United's reaction. He would certainly add another dimension and would love to be feeding on Valencia's crosses.

I cant get my head around why we're being linked to out and out strikers. Lewandowski again today too. It has to be tabloid nonsense IMO.

It would be great to be able to understand Fergies thoughts on what exactly he wants to do with the team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I thought the friendly was on at 3 today? MUTV don't seem to be showing it?

Quandary wrote: »

I cant get my head around why we're being linked to out and out strikers. Lewandowski again today too. It has to be tabloid nonsense IMO.

It would be great to be able to understand Fergies thoughts on what exactly he wants to do with the team.

I'm not 100% sure but I suppose they would offer something we do not currently have in the squad, which is a dominating, crusher of a forward who can, for the majority of crosses get on the end of them. Think of how bad we have been on corners (I know that is also down to the quality of the corner) and a player like this could/would help.

Last few years we have been linked with this sort of player. From Dzeko, Lewandowski, Llorente, Santa Cruz and many more.

Fergie could be waiting for the right one and in fairness, Llorente is quality.

Or it could be all paper talk! Who knows....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I thought the friendly was on at 3 today? MUTV don't seem to be showing it?

It's tomorrow.

I suppose it could be a case of plan A is 4-2-3-1 with Rooney usually the front man.

Maybe signing a Llorente or RVP or Lwandowski means we can easily switch to a more conventional Plan B 4-4-2 with the crosses being lashed into the big man being supported by Rooney in more of a free role?

As always though, you'd have to worry about our centre mid pairing in the 4-4-2!

• Advertisement

That's not possible. We can sign him on pre contract in Jan so that he can join in next june, but we can't sign him now for free.

Also I think this is non story, just randomly linking player with club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Eathrin wrote: »
    Theoretically with the midfielders we have and if they were playing at the top of their game we would have real strength in a title bid but the chances of that happening due to Injury and age/fatigue are slim to none.

On another note, between Rooney and Berba, there's a potentially quality cm partnership right there. Not saying we should actually do this but to me it looks like they have the right attributes.

not a chance, 2 guys in a 3 man midfield though, Rooney and some mainly defensive lad beside him, berba standing in the amc area pottering about with exquisite passes and harrying the opponents defenders (he does that sometimes)

Certainly. Which makes the reported interest in these players a strange one because if the acquisition of Kagawa. I was delighted to hear Fergie talk about Kagawa's best position the other day. Bodes well that he should play him there regularly.

Can't see the move for Llorente happening regardless. Either due to competition for his signature or we actually don't want him.

Jesus I'd love Sahin or Javi Martinez though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Giggsy11 wrote: »

That's not possible. We can sign him on pre contract in Jan so that he can join in next june, but we can't sign him now for free.

Also I think this is non story, just randomly linking player with club.

Sorry, yes that's what I meant. Not that Atletico would allow it to go that far anyway.

• Advertisement

I'll be appalled if Rooney or Berbatov end up playing in midfield. For f..k sake Fergie, just sign a world class midfielder.

I can't see Berbatov's languid style working in midfield and in my view Rooney is wasted when he's played out of position. He suffered badly when stuck on the left during the Ronaldo years and often when he plays up front in his own he just ends up getting frustrated.

Sahin would be a super signing for United. Rumours of an £18m bid doing the rounds today but unfortunately rumours of a £19m bid by Real for Nani also doing the rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

@nickcoppack: Mike Phelan will take charge of the team in Oslo, with Sir Alex on "other club business". SAF to join in Gothenburg.

Wonder what fergies up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    @nickcoppack: Mike Phelan will take charge of the team in Oslo, with Sir Alex on "other club business". SAF to join in Gothenburg.

Cue the plethora of 'I just spotted Fergie leaving Brazil's olympic training camp' tipsters :pac:

Vertigo100 wrote: »

RVP? Moura? Sahin? Dembele?

Or none of the above?

You'd have to think that Fergie's most needed when there's somebody who needs to be persuaded to join United...could be RVP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Cue the plethora of 'I just spotted Fergie leaving Brazil's olympic training camp' tipsters :pac:

he's obviously gone to collect some dirty money from the "Glaziers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

No chance of United taking advantage of Malaga's financial troubles and swooping for Toulalan? He was fantastic for them last year! Guarin would have been a fantastic addition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

RVP? Moura? Sahin? Dembele?

Or none of the above?

You'd have to think that Fergie's most needed when there's somebody who needs to be persuaded to join United...could be RVP?

That's what I was thinking. Surely fergie only meets potential transfers when the deal is fairly advanced. Hopefully it's not just some gala dinner or ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Liam O wrote: »
    he's obviously gone to collect some dirty money from the "Glaziers"

Ah yes I forgot they were throwing their champagne and caviare IPO celebration in their super secret bond villain lair this weekend

I hope we sign Ever Banega, I know we are not even linked with him which is very surprising as he will improve our first team easily and better than the CMs we have. There were rumors that Valencia were ready to sell him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'll be appalled if Rooney or Berbatov end up playing in midfield. For f..k sake Fergie, just sign a world class midfielder.

I can't see Berbatov's languid style working in midfield and in my view Rooney is wasted when he's played out of position. He suffered badly when stuck on the left during the Ronaldo years and often when he plays up front in his own he just ends up getting frustrated.
    Did you see the first friendly of the season? Berba was playing in the hole, and was amazing, many even thought that the role could be his future at the club(Kagawa can't play every game).

Did you see the first friendly of the season? Berba was playing in the hole, and was amazing, many even thought that the role could be his future at the club(Kagawa can't play every game).

Yes he was amazing, but you have to take into account the opposition were far below premier league standard. Berbatov has all the technique in the world but he doesn't have the bite needed to play in the hole IMO, if that makes any sense!

On another note, was watching Victor Wanyama for Celtic against Aberdeen just now. Based on his performance (in that game ONLY :)), he wouldn't be a bad addition if all else fell through...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think Berba can be okay in that position. Definitely good enough to be a back-up. But we already have Rooney who is much better than Berb in that role and Welbeck who is only a bit better than Berb but will improve, and Welbeck will be desperately in need of games.

Berba is surplus to requirements at this stage so we'd be better off with him off the wage bill.

Yep - Given the quality of the opposition though, it's difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Pro. F wrote: »

I think Berba can be okay in that position. Definitely good enough to be a back-up. But we already have Rooney who is much better than Berb in that role and Welbeck who is only a bit better than Berb but will improve, and Welbeck will be desperately in need of games.

Berba is surplus to requirements at this stage so we'd be better off with him off the wage bill.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

European tour squad announced.

Tour squad: De Gea, Lindegaard; Evra, Ferdinand, Jones, M Keane, Vidic; Anderson, Carrick, Nani, Powell, Lingard, Scholes, Valencia, Young; Berbatov, Hernandez, Kagawa, Macheda, Rooney, Welbeck

Sun 5 - Valerenga (Oslo)
    Wed 8 - Barcelona (Gothenburg)
    Sat 11 - Hannover 96 (Hanover)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement