Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Knex. wrote: »
    Hey lads, don't usually post in here so forgive me if this has already been posted.

Talks of United's deal with Chevy being 40m a year and the guy who brokered it getting the sack :eek:
    Seen a lot of articles reporting it as £51m a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well if Lucas impresses then yes. But think the intention will be to ease him in like it was for CR before he turned out to be semi decent. Either way his arrival doesnt have any implications for Nani. Let there be no panic. Way too much girlish hand ringing in this thread in general. Trust the boss. He has this.

Ronnie played 40 games in his first season. He was thrown in. I totally agree with you on Nani btw, I just reckon that a signing of that amount (i think that does matter!) will mean he will play an awful lot of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Ronnie played 40 games in his first season. He was thrown in. I totally agree with you on Nani btw, I just reckon that a signing of that amount (i think that does matter!) will mean he will play an awful lot of games.

Fergie has been quoted as saying he was gona ease CR in but he proved too good to doso.

As for price tags Fergie wont let that sway him either way. He dropped a 30mstriker from the CL final squad after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fergie has been quoted as saying he was gona ease CR in but he proved too good to doso.

As for price tags Fergie wont let that sway him either way. He dropped a 30mstriker from the CL final squad after all.

That was after he turned out not to work. When he was first signed he was straight into the first team at the expense of Tevez. I just really cant see us spending 30m on someone and then leave em out. Meh, hypothetical debate anyway bud.

That was after he turned out not to work. When he was first signed he was straight into the first team at the expense of Tevez. I just really cant see us spending 30m on someone and then leave em out. Meh, hypothetical debate anyway bud.

True. I just hope people see Lucas a s a huge investment in a lomg term project rather than a guy whos the finished article. Forget the price tag nd remember his age and rawness.

But yeah pure hypothetical debate. He may very well not be going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Let there be no panic. Way too much girlish hand ringing in this thread in general. Trust the boss. He has this.

If Fergie signs Moura and / or Van Persie and doesn't sign a midfielder and a fullback, he will (in my view) have dropped the ball BIGTIME.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Lucas isn't a winger, so why would Nani be affected? Lucas is primarily a central player who plays in the whole behind the striker.

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    If Fergie signs Moura and / or Van Persie and doesn't sign a midfielder and a fullback, he will have dropped the ball BIGTIME.
    Id be pretty sure hell get a fullback. I think Cleverley deserves his chance to shine in midfield. The problem there is overstated. Kagawa floating about in front of the midfield will transform how we play next year. As I said people need to relax a little. The squad is in fine shape withe the aerage age dropping all the time. The future is bright.

My cock is stirring, think both RVP and Lucas might be in the bag. Acini now reckonhes not off to City. Hes either confirming the media reports that VP wamts United or hes playing silly buggers. If we get those two itll be our best Summer ever and we'llwin the league.

If Fergie signs Moura and / or Van Persie and doesn't sign a midfielder and a fullback, he will have dropped the ball BIGTIME.
    Id be pretty sure hell get a fullback. I think Cleverley deserves his chance to shine in midfield. The problem there is overstated. Kagawa floating about in front of the midfield will transform how we play next year. As I said people need to relax a little. The squad is in fine shape withe the aerage age dropping all the time. The future is bright.

I have to disagree.

We've one right back and one left back. Other than Rafael and Evra, we've wingers and centre halves who can "do a job" at fullback. Given Fabio's non availability, we need to sign a right back and a left back in my view.

And as for midfield, we're short one and maybe even two quality signings in my opinion. The problem there is tangible and it has been there for years but ignored by Fergie. It isn't fair to rely on elder statesmen like Scholes and Giggs or young players like Powell or Cleverley. Based on the last few years, Anderson is too injury prone to be relied upon and Fletcher is chronically ill. Kagawa is not a central midfielder in the strictest sense of the word. That leaves Carrick who divides opinion among fans.

The squad is not in fine shape until we sign a midfielder / midfielders and a fullback / fullbacks.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree.

We've one right back and one left back. Other than Rafael and Evra, we've wingers and centre halves who can "do a job" at fullback. Given Fabio's non availability, we need to sign a right back and a left back in my view.

And as for midfield, we're short one and maybe even two quality signings in my opinion. The problem there is tangible and it has been there for years but ignored by Fergie. It isn't fair to rely on elder statesmen like Scholes and Giggs or young players like Powell or Cleverley. Based on the last few years, Anderson is too injury prone to be relied upon and Fletcher is chronically ill. Kagawa is not a central midfielder in the strictest sense of the word. That leaves Carrick who divides opinion among fans.

The squad is not in fine shape until we sign a midfielder / midfielders and a fullback / fullbacks.
    I already said I think a FB will be signed. Fergie has more or less said it himself.

As for midfield Scholes for all his years is still the best passer in the league. Cleverley and Ando are going to have big seasons as well IMO. Throw in Giggs, Arrick and Ones\Powell if needed then if anything we'll do well to keep them al happy.

Our attacking options are so good well just outscore everyone either way. I have a feeling were gonna be unreal to watch next year.

@Roger Sterling

I hope that you're right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Squad for Barca game on Wednesday:

De Gea, Lindegaard; Evra, Ferdinand, Jones, M Keane, Vidić; Anderson, Carrick, Nani, Powell, Lingard, Scholes, Valencia, Young, Kagawa; Berbatov, Hernández, Macheda, Rooney, Welbeck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Rafael,Jones,Smalling,Valencia are more than enough right back choices plus we have allways had centre halfs covering this position ie O'Shea and Brown. We need a left back and I doubt Fergie would have let Fabio go if he hadn't someone lined up.

The presence of Lingard in the last couple of squads ahead of Petrucci and Tunny suggests hes rate ahead of them at the moment. Expaect loans for both in the next few weeks while Lingard should be kept on and given the odd rum out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If Utd go on to spend another £50 million pound this summer, like they did last summer and still don't buy one quality CM I think I'll cry.

It's quite bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The fans will cry "Buy a midfielder!". And I will look down on them and say "No."

You know it to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The fans will cry "Buy a midfielder!". And I will look down on them and say "No."

You know it to be true.

I question the legitamacy of this quotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Eathrin wrote: »
    I question the legitamacy of this quotation.

c9013_11e1c9f3-33c6-43fb-b803-ec05d2b7f07f.jpg&h=0&w=380&zc=1&q=100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I still the only person who thinks we wont get RVP?

Been out of touch with United lately for few reasons, but nothing to suggest the confidence few posters in here have that we will get him.

I love it to happen all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Been out of touch with United lately for few reasons, but nothing to suggest the confidence few posters in here have that we will get him.

I kinda don't want it to happen, nor the Moura deal.
    I feel as if spending 50m will put an end to our summer shopping and will once again see us neglect the problem areas.

Of course if we subsequently buy a LB and a defensive CM then I would be delighted to have them in the squad but that's my worry.

I hope that it doesn't happen.

Too expensive.
    Not needed.
    Injury prone.
    Too old.
    Possibly a troublemaker (based on his current antics).
    Other areas of the teams need strengthening.

I also hope that we don't sign Moura (unless we're keeping Nani etc and signing a fullback and midfielder).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TBH right now, if I had to pick between RVP and Welbeck and all the pros and cons that that entails, I'd rather have Welbeck.

If we get RVP and Moura we have a range and depth of attacker that is better than any club on the planet.

Ravel Morrison going out on loan to Birmingham apparently.
    Not working out for him at West Ham as he had hoped it seems.

If we get RVP and Moura we have a range and depth of attacker that is better than any club on the planet.

It pains me to say it, but Aguero, Tevez, Ballottelli, Dzeko, Adebayor and Santa Cruz probably disagree with you...

It pains me to say it, but Aguero, Tevez, Ballottelli, Dzeko, Adebayor and Santa Cruz probably disagree with you...

Pffft the last two hardly count!

RVP and Rooney are the two best strikers in the land and backing them up are the two best young strikers around all being supplied by Kagawa whos a little magiciaan and the four best wide men you could aask for in Nani. Val. Lucas and Ash. An embarassment of riches. I reckon our second eleven could finish top four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The presence of Lingard in the last couple of squads ahead of Petrucci and Tunny suggests hes rate ahead of them at the moment. Expaect loans for both in the next few weeks while Lingard should be kept on and given the odd rum out.

They have all played on tour, pretty much an equal amount of game time I would think :confused:

All have impressed in one way or another, interesting to see what happens with them, hopefully loans for Lingard and Tunni, then Petrucci in January all things going well.

Wouldn't mind them staying around if they were going to get time with the first team but don't see that happening.

Benzema, Ronaldo, Higuain, Ozil, Di Maria, Kaka, Callejon etc would also disagree

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    They have all played on tour, pretty much an equal amount of game time I would think :confused:

All have impressed in one way or another, interesting to see what happens with them, hopefully loans for Lingard and Tunni, then Petrucci in January all things going well.

Wouldn't mind them staying around if they were going to get time with the first team but don't see that happening.
    Since the bigger names returned though only Lingard has beenretained in squads. Id put little or no store in those first few squads. If you had a pulse you were in.

Benzema, Ronaldo, Higuain, Ozil, Di Maria, Kaka, Callejon etc would also disagree

And they'd be right...Messi, Villa etc might join the debate too

I think we match up just fine to them. Kaka is a goner anyway and Higuain possbly too.
    We have nine top class players as I named earlier not sure anyone else can name that many.
    If we get the two lads obv.
    Stunning depth and quality.

I think we match up just fine to them. Kaka is a goner anyway and Higuain possbly too.
    We have nine top class players as I named earlier not sure anyone else can name that many.
    If we get the two lads obv.
    Stunning depth and quality.

Being overloaded in some posiitions and short in others doesn't equal stunning depth and quality.

There's already an imbalance n the squad in terms of quality and if the news is anywhere near accurate today, that imbalance is going to become even bigger.

adox wrote: »
    Being overloaded in some posiitions and short in others doesn't equal stunning depth and quality.

There's already an imbalance n the squad in terms of quality and if the news is anywhere near accurate today, that imbalance is going to become even bigger.

Wheres this imbalance. We have two or sometmes thhree options for every position on the field LB aside. which the manager is on record as saying hes dealing with.

How can people see us signing the best striker in the league and one of the jewels of Brazilian football as a bad thing? Were gonna steamroll this league next year mark my words.

Wheres this imbalance. We have two or sometmes thhree options for every position on the field LB aside. which the manager is on record as saying hes dealing with.

How can people see us signing the best striker in the league and one of the jewels of Brazilian football as a bad thing? Were gonna steamroll this league next year mark my words.

I smell money making here

I will bet you any amount that you like that we will not steam roll the league this year.

If the club win it will be by less then 15pts.

The squad is unbalanced, it is top heavy as it is, further attacking options wide and up front will only add to that imbalance.

Optimism is great, but blind optimism is a bit mad :)

There is a quite a gaping hole in the middle of the field, the priority should be strengthening there, I would love to have additions elsewhere also, but nowhere is more important then the centre of midfield, the squad is stacked practically everywhere else. Just having a great attack will not win you the league

You seem to have missed the word quality in Adox post :)

• Advertisement

I smell money making here

I will bet you any amount that you like that we will not steam roll the league this year.

If the club win it will be by less then 15pts.

The squad is unbalanced, it is top heavy as it is, further attacking options wide and up front will only add to that imbalance.

Optimism is great, but blind optimism is a bit mad :)

There is a quite a gaping hole in the middle of the field, the priority should be strengthening there, I would love to have additions elsewhere also, but nowhere is more important then the centre of midfield, the squad is stacked practically everywhere else. Just having a great attack will not win you the league

You seem to have missed the word quality in Adox post :)
    Well everyone seems to have missed the fact that I was referring to our front four options specifically. Alas all roads seem to lead to the midfield on this and every other forum.

Nd no all the passive aggressive smilie faces in the world wont convimce me to gamble thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Hmmm, I'm beginning to see Fergusons plan:

De Gea
    --Valencia--Powell--Carrick---Brady
    --Bebe----Giggs
    Lucas
    Nani
    Kagawa

Young

MOAR WINGERS!!!

Well everyone seems to have missed the fact that I was referring to our front four options specifically. Alas all roads seem to lead to the midfield on this and every other forum.

Nd no all the passive aggressive smilie faces in the world wont convimce me to gamble thanks.

No passive aggressive, simple amusement, fresh optimism is cute at times, would be great if you were right but sadly its not that simple.

Nobody missed what you were saying, evidenced by the players me and someone else responded with, but all roads do lead back to midfield with this team as that is the glaring weakness.

As I said the best attackers in the world won't win you the league without a solid foundation behind them, and this team will challenge for the title. May not win it, but the squad is so good it will challenge with or without a good midfielder being added.

It will not be a real contender for the CL though, and it will be the big matches this season same as last where the deficiencies of the midfield will be exposed again. Rooney is fantastic, if the midfield can't control the ball he is isolated and gets frustrated, this will happen with VP also if he was there.

The spine of the team is the most important for obvious reasons, and the keeper is fine, not perfect but fine, the defence is solid, the strike force is solid. Its the centre of midfield where the problem is, just being good enough to compete is not what I want from the team, I want to see United setting the standard, I want to see the team being the team to beat.

We all want the best for the club I guess.

No passive aggressive, simple amusement, fresh optimism is cute at times, would be great if you were right but sadly its not that simple.

Nobody missed what you were saying, evidenced by the players me and someone else responded with, but all roads do lead back to midfield with this team as that is the glaring weakness.

As I said the best attackers in the world won't win you the league without a solid foundation behind them, and this team will challenge for the title. May not win it, but the squad is so good it will challenge with or without a good midfielder being added.

It will not be a real contender for the CL though, and it will be the big matches this season same as last where the deficiencies of the midfield will be exposed again. Rooney is fantastic, if the midfield can't control the ball he is isolated and gets frustrated, this will happen with VP also if he was there.

The spine of the team is the most important for obvious reasons, and the keeper is fine, not perfect but fine, the defence is solid, the strike force is solid. Its the centre of midfield where the problem is, just being good enough to compete is not what I want from the team, I want to see United setting the standard, I want to see the team being the team to beat.

We all want the best for the club I guess.
    Nobody seems to be facoring in the Kagawa effect. Hes far more suited to being the third midfielder we so badly needed than Rooney ever was. Mobile two footed energetic great range of passing. he will transform the way the team needs and will properly link midfield and attck in a comsistent way that Rooney never really did. we will lok a lot better in the middle for his addition. add in the fact that cleverley is fit again and you suddenly have the prospect of amobile dynamic intelleigent pair of players in in him and Kag backed up by the security that Carrick gives. A mothwatering prospect. And the likes of Scholes Giggs Ando Powell and Jones are more than adequate back up.

What you call cute in a pretty patronising manner I simply xall faith in the quality squad our superb manager has assembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

The only steamrolling will be Yaya Toure through Uniteds midfield.

• Advertisement

Nobody seems to be facoring in the Kagawa effect. Hes far more suited to being the third midfielder we so badly needed than Rooney ever was. Mobile two footed energetic great range of passing. he will transform the way the team needs and will properly link midfield and attck in a comsistent way that Rooney never really did. we will lok a lot better in the middle for his addition. add in the fact that cleverley is fit again and you suddenly have the prospect of amobile dynamic intelleigent pair of players in in him and Kag backed up by the security that Carrick gives. A mothwatering prospect. And the likes of Scholes Giggs Ando Powell and Jones are more than adequate back up.

What you call cute in a pretty patronising manner I simply xall faith in the quality squad our superb manager has assembled.

No, no, again, everybody has considered the effect Kagawa will have on the team, it does not take away from the issue the team has though.

The squad is up there in terms of being one of the best in the world, it stacks up to any team with the exception of Madrid possibly imo, but the first team is a different matter.

You call it by a different name is all, I call it blind optimism, you call it faith.

Kagawa is not a central midfielder, he just isn't, now Fergie may shoe horn him there, or out on the left, but he is a support striker, second striker, number 10, whatever you want to call it, but he is not a central midfielder.

Brilliant addition, delighted with him, first signing I have been genuinely excited about in a long time if I'm honest, to simply focus on the positive and ignore the negative is not something I can do though.

Fergie is not God and he is capable of errors, he made more last season then I have ever seen from him, would I want anybody else in control of the club? **** no! I just want the signing that would push us on to the next level in midfield.

The only midfielder that can be relied upon to play 90% of the games this season is Carrick. That is hardly ideal, Clev could be anything, Ando could be brilliant but he has a history, other then that? Scholes cannot be expected to perform week in week out over the course of a season, he was exposed in the bigger games last year (and the years before) for his lack of legs these days when the pace of the games are too much for him, Giggs really shouldn't feature too much either.

The young guys, Tunni etc are not ready yet imo to carry a Manchester United midfield so again, we are left with Carrick, do you think that is ideal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mr. Sterling, have you taken LSD again tonight? :D

No, no, again, everybody has considered the effect Kagawa will have on the team, it does not take away from the issue the team has though.

The squad is up there in terms of being one of the best in the world, it stacks up to any team with the exception of Madrid possibly imo, but the first team is a different matter.

You call it by a different name is all, I call it blind optimism, you call it faith.

Kagawa is not a central midfielder, he just isn't, now Fergie may shoe horn him there, or out on the left, but he is a support striker, second striker, number 10, whatever you want to call it, but he is not a central midfielder.

Brilliant addition, delighted with him, first signing I have been genuinely excited about in a long time if I'm honest, to simply focus on the positive and ignore the negative is not something I can do though.

Fergie is not God and he is capable of errors, he made more last season then I have ever seen from him, would I want anybody else in control of the club? **** no! I just want the signing that would push us on to the next level in midfield.

The only midfielder that can be relied upon to play 90% of the games this season is Carrick. That is hardly ideal, Clev could be anything, Ando could be brilliant but he has a history, other then that? Scholes cannot be expected to perform week in week out over the course of a season, he was exposed in the bigger games last year (and the years before) for his lack of legs these days when the pace of the games are too much for him, Giggs really shouldn't feature too much either.

The young guys, Tunni etc are not ready yet imo to carry a Manchester United midfield so again, we are left with Carrick, do you think that is ideal?
    What does 'clev could be anything' even mean? Hes a class act. The heir apparent to Scholes. People go on about hi. neing imjury prone but all his problems last season had their basis in Kevin Davies being a hatcet man. Impact injuries could happen anyone. Hell be immense next year mark my words and well also have the best passer in the leage to step in.

Kagawa will make life so much easire for the midfield. Watch him for Dortmund hes an absolute dream for midfiledres to play with. I can see hi. amd Clev dovetailing beautifully. Theyre made to play together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Rumours from Twitter...
    BREAKING: Globo Esporte says PSG agreed terms with Sao Paulo for the transfer of Lucas Moura, only medical & signature of contract left.
    During all Sunday Alex Ferguson tried to contact Lucas to convince him to reject PSG and join Man Utd but he choose the French club. (GE)

Wonder if its true or not..

Hes sh*t anyway.

Rumours from Twitter...

Wonder if its true or not..

They're not the official page.

They are:
    https://twitter.com/PSG_inside

Has been reported in Brazilian newspaper though. Would explain Fergie going missing.

Yeah but I am sure the same newspapers had him going to us yesterday and the day before etc. Daily Fail had him undergoing a medical today at United. Can't be trusted.

Nice throw Daniel san.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Nice throw Daniel san.

Wrong thread ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement