Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Wrong thread ;)

You will repeat nothing of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Id say Ob Cass is shytting himself. What little ounce of credibility he has left will be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The paper in Brazil reporting the Lucas to PSG deal is apparently a reliable one, and they are saying there is an issue with the non EU players @ PSG and that if they dont sell some that Lucas will join in January and not now.

According to the report the deal is more then 38million, its just not worth it tbh, this is the first time reports of him actually signing have come from Brazil too and not England or Italy so there may be something in it, its possible United were used to get more money from PSG unfortunately, Leonardo being the DOF there is a positive sign for them because of his rekationship with Ribeiro.

Still, this one has had so many twists that I wouldnt take anything for granted yet, we could know in the morning.

If PSG are offering ridiculous money for the player and in wages then good luck to them, 25 mil would be a fair price, not worth going above 38 for at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Wonder is the fact that we have made our "interest" in RVP and Moura public due to the fact that Glazers may want to calm any supporter unrest and Gill can peddle out his timeless "we tried" shtick. (Just speculating)

At breaking point personally with Fergie's lies regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

38 million what though? that's less than £30m if it's in €

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Liam O wrote: »
    38 million what though? that's less than £30m if it's in €

it'd be just over it if the exchange is €1 = £0.79

.....................................................................................................

Is there any truth about fergie staying home from norway to make the RVP deal happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Wonder is the fact that we have made our "interest" in RVP and Moura public due to the fact that Glazers may want to calm any supporter unrest and Gill can peddle out his timeless "we tried" shtick. (Just speculating)

Could be something in that alright, I doubt we could actually be in the market for both of them, the financial packages would further strain our finances!!

I'm smelling smoke screen too, either to cover up another deal on the cards or we are done for the summer.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it'd be just over it if the exchange is €1 = £0.79

.....................................................................................................

Is there any truth about fergie staying home from norway to make the RVP deal happen?

ah yeah did it wrong in my head without checking the figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

This kind of thinking does my head in. Whatever SAF does or says is in the interest of the club and you should be taking any and all statements and rumours regarding transfers with as much salt as you can grab in your fist. Don't presume that we have the player until he's holding up the shirt and registered with the squad and you won't be disappointed. Saying that you're "At breaking point" is something that I find quite hard to fathom. Why get wound up about it? It's a game, and it's all in the game.

• Advertisement

United nearly won the league last season, if they had played to potential and not gotten unlucky with injury in the CL group stages would have made a decent run in Europe I'd say.

This season Kagawa has been added and Cleverly and Anderson are coming into the season fit and as much as I don't rate Ando as a United caliber starting midfielder he's grand as cover with Scholes and Clev able to rotate the starting jobs. Another body to cover Carrick is what's needed but Carrick's injury record is very good so a chance can be taken on that. It's not ideal but it's not doom and gloom and even though I'm pretty sure it wont happen I'd be happy enough with the current crop starting the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

This kind of thinking does my head in. Whatever SAF does or says is in the interest of the club and you should be taking any and all statements and rumours regarding transfers with as much salt as you can grab in your fist. Don't presume that we have the player until he's holding up the shirt and registered with the squad and you won't be disappointed. Saying that you're "At breaking point" is something that I find quite hard to fathom. Why get wound up about it? It's a game, and it's all in the game.

I've held my tongue on this topic for weeks to allow myself to not get too wound up but it makes no difference.

As I have said to many recently, this is simply not true. Sir Alex Ferguson is not, or never has been Manchester United FC. The club existed before him and will exist after him. Fergie never wanted Man Utd to win a game until he was 44.

He did wrong by us with Rock of Gibraltar, and now again, we are seeing some similar stuff come out of him with regards to the Glazers.

I know some people will have strong opinions on this and that's fine. He has helped to transform this club and I thank him for that and recognise his abilities. But lets not kid ourselves - it is extremely obvious these days that Ferguson is only looking out for numero uno.

Protecting the Glazers while criticizing the fans? The "real fans" support the Glazers? I guess those who were priced out of a season ticket and resent the Glazers for it aren't real fans, despite some of them being ST holders for 20+ years. Surely the fact that the fans of the club are uncomfortable with the owners would make SAF uncomfortable if he had our best interests at heart?

And anything he says - the agents fees (Mendes got over £2 million from Bebe, the recently cited Ferdinand agents fees) - the value (what rubbish) - Any financial arguement is nullified by the fact that almost £2 million a week leaves the club to service debt. And have no doubts that he will be seeing something from the IPO.

So forgive me if I am sceptical of his motives, which for a while now have been foggy to say the least. Roy Keane had it spot on when he said that Fergie does what is best for Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If it's not Chelsea or City, now it's Paris Saint Ger-fúcking-main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I'm mouldy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I've held my tongue on this topic for weeks to allow myself to not get too wound up but it makes no difference.

As I have said to many recently, this is simply not true. Sir Alex Ferguson is not, or never has been Manchester United FC. The club existed before him and will exist after him. Fergie never wanted Man Utd to win a game until he was 44.

He did wrong by us with Rock of Gibraltar, and now again, we are seeing some similar stuff come out of him with regards to the Glazers.

Presenting a united front is against the interests of the club now? He was greedy and naive when it came to Rock of Gibraltar, fine. To try and draw parallels in the absence of evidence is a little much.

I know some people will have strong opinions on this and that's fine. He has helped to transform this club and I thank him for that and recognise his abilities. But lets not kid ourselves - it is extremely obvious these days that Ferguson is only looking out for numero uno.

Yeah, I'm taking an exception to this point. I don't see it as "obvious" whatsoever. This ties into my point above. The club must be together in terms of managment and owner. It has to be. Anything else hurts us greatly.
    Protecting the Glazers while criticizing the fans? The "real fans" support the Glazers? I guess those who were priced out of a season ticket and resent the Glazers for it aren't real fans, despite some of them being ST holders for 20+ years. Surely the fact that the fans of the club are uncomfortable with the owners would make SAF uncomfortable if he had our best interests at heart?

His comments were a little shallow but you can understand why he made them. Within the context of the time he couldn't have said anything else.
    And anything he says - the agents fees (Mendes got over £2 million from Bebe, the recently cited Ferdinand agents fees) - the value (what rubbish) - Any financial arguement is nullified by the fact that almost £2 million a week leaves the club to service debt. And have no doubts that he will be seeing something from the IPO.

Agents fees and our debt obligations aren't even obliquely tied. He's a massive hypocrite in regards to moaning about agent's fees while paying what amounts to a legalised bribe where Bebe is concerned but again, we all know why he said it. I have no issue with him saying it. All in the game. He wasn't named in the IPO and I would have my doubts if he'll gain. His salary is plentiful. He's made his money.
    So forgive me if I am sceptical of his motives, which for a while now have been foggy to say the least. Roy Keane had it spot on when he said that Fergie does what is best for Fergie.

Roy Keane's opinion is irrelevant. Especially when it comes to the manner that he departed the club. It's pretty painful to see the player that you idolised become such a bitter, agenda-driven man but that's what Keane is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

People hate the Glazers so much that they are hitting out at the wrong targets. Greatest manager the club has ever had makes a small gaffe in an interview. Give him a break? Nah, letter writing campaign and a load of made up stuff about him profiting from an IPO.

Glazers take some money from the IPO for themselves? Boycott the sponsors! What do you mean that this will have no effect whatsoever on the sponsors? I'm sure all those United fans not buying Hublots, Chevys and flying Turkish Airlines will dent the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭batistuta9

People hate the Glazers so much that they are hitting out at the wrong targets. Greatest manager the club has ever had makes a small gaffe in an interview. Give him a break? Nah, letter writing campaign and a load of made up stuff about him profiting from an IPO.

Glazers take some money from the IPO for themselves? Boycott the sponsors! What do you mean that this will have no effect whatsoever on the sponsors? I'm sure all those United fans not buying Hublots, Chevys and flying Turkish Airlines will dent the profits.

did the green/gold protest group or whatever it was called not boycott merchandising, then man u released their figures for they year with record breaking merchandising income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Roy Keane had it spot on when he said that Fergie does what is best for Fergie.

What did Roy say? Have you a source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Matt Barker ‏@matthew_barker
    Bad news for #Inter - Sky Italia reporting that Sao Paolo's Lucas will join #PSG in December for €45m.
    Retweeted by Rory Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Really dont understand all the Fergie hatred,when he retires the haters will be ****ting themselves!

United fans at 'breaking point.'F*cking hell you lads are unreal. It would do youu lads no harm at all for he club to go tits up so you can understand what real hardship is. Spoilt rotten is all you have been the lst twenty years and you thn have the cheek to turn on Fergie. Some of the stuff said in the last few weeks about him was a scandal. Ungratefull petulat litle children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Telegraph Sport ‏@TelegraphSport
    Man United midfielder Darren Fletcher will train with Scotland squad this week #MUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭dahat

United fans at 'breaking point.'F*cking hell you lads are unreal. It would do youu lads no harm at all for he club to go tits up so you can understand what real hardship is. Spoilt rotten is all you have been the lst twenty years and you thn have the cheek to turn on Fergie. Some of the stuff said in the last few weeks about him was a scandal. Ungratefull petulat litle children.

Calm-DownTime.jpg

Would assume its only very light training Fletcher is doing. Doubt theress any way hed be near fit for top class football anytime soon. Great for him to feel involved again tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

@ Roger Sterling

I'm unaware of anyone "turning on Fergie". Yes some people made assumptions about who might benefit from the IPO but any accusations that were directed at Fergie have been retracted by the relevant individuals.

Isn't it the right / obligation of any "good" fan to point out questionable decisions and to want the best for their club? One of the reasons that MUFC has been so successful is that the club doesn't rest on its laurels...it strives to improve. Every season is far more important than the last.

As for Fergie, his greatness is beyond doubt. However he is not infallible. He makes mistakes like anyone else. He just happens to make far less of them than most other managers. We can all point to Fergie mistakes over the years and many of us would have called them at the time.

For many, including me, United's midfield is a major issue (if not the major issue) at the moment. In my view it's grossly inadequate compared to the sides that we should be aiming to compete with (City, Barca, Real, etc). We have a rag tag bunch of old pros and injury prone unproven players. Relative to the rest of the side, it's substandard. Yes we lost the title on goal difference but so what? City were burdened with the pressure of winning a "first" title and basically "Devon Loched". That's unlikely to happen again. And shouldn't our aim be to win the title comfortably?

He is arguably the greatest manager of all time, but if he messes around signing guys like Moura and RVP and doesn't strengthen United's midfield (and buy at least one fullback), he is wrong in my view and United fans have every right to call him on it.

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    @ Roger Sterling

I'm unaware of anyone "turning on Fergie". Yes some people made assumptions about who might benefit from the IPO but any accusations that were directed at Fergie have been retracted by the relevant individuals.

Isn't it the right / obligation of any "good" fan to point out questionable decisions and to want the best for their club? One of the reasons that MUFC has been so successful is that the club doesn't rest on its laurels...it strives to improve. Every season is far more important than the last.

As for Fergie, his greatness is beyond doubt. However he is not infallible. He makes mistakes like anyone else. He just happens to make far less of them than most other managers. We can all point to Fergie mistakes over the years and many of us would have called them at the time.

For many, including me, United's midfield is a major issue (if not the major issue) at the moment. In my view it's grossly inadequate compared to the sides that we should be aiming to compete with (City, Barca, Real, etc). We have a rag tag bunch of old pros and injury prone unproven players. Relative to the rest of the side, it's substandard. Yes we lost the title on goal difference but so what? City were burdened with the pressure of winning a "first" title and basically "Devon Loched". That's unlikely to happen again. And shouldn't our aim be to win the title comfortably?

He is arguably the greatest manager of all time, but if he messes around signing guys like Moura and RVP and doesn't strengthen United's midfield (and buy at least one fullback), he is wrong and United fans have every right to call him on it.
    Its not just those turning on Fergie. Just watch the hisy fits when no midfielder is added. Get a grip lads. Ye have had it fa too good for far too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Be fantastic to see Fletch play again, heres hoping!
    Its not just those turning on Fergie. Just watch the hisy fits when no midfielder is added. Get a grip lads. Ye have had it fa too good for far too long.

Ok, you're right. Lads I think we should all get a grip like he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently (reports coming out of France) Lucas Moura is to choose PSG because he has been impressed with their latest recruits (Thiago Silva in particular) and because Rafael has told him United is not a good place to be at the moment. Probably Twitter BS but thought you might be interested.

EDIT: not a good place to be because of the bad weather, apparently.

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently (reports coming out of France) Lucas Moura is to choose PSG because he has been impressed with their latest recruits (Thiago Silva in particular) and because Rafael has told him United is not a good place to be at the moment. Probably Twitter BS but thought you might be interested.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7926068/Rafael-tells-Lucas-to-join-Utd
    "Yes, I have told Lucas he should come to Manchester United, of course."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭VW 1

So your point is that United fans have had their time at the top and now it is time to stop wanting the best for the club and get a grip?

The United way is to step up to the challenger and see them off, it was done with Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool in 08/9 and I have no doubts that it will happen again with City if we add a quality midfielder.

If that means I need to "get a grip" I must be a bad fan.

Twitter is a massive circle jerk with people making **** up and their felllow "ITKs" retweeting it to appear like they are in the loop. Who the **** would have the inside track on Lucas Moura? The guy was pretty much unkknown to all fans in Europe until this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Twitter is a massive circle jerk with people making **** up and their felllow "ITKs" retweeting it to appear like they are in the loop. Who the **** would have the inside track on Lucas Moura? The guy was pretty much unkknown to all fans in Europe until this season.

One or two Brazilian journos would be better to watch, the source reporting the deal last night is the equivalent to the bbc in England, it is pretty reliable.

Twitter is full of **** alright, but if you know where to look it can be a decent resource.

Why would anybody be listening to what fans in Europe have to say about the deal on twitter? You can read the club statements, you can read what his agent says, you can read what the respected Brazilian journos and papers are saying.

Last night was the first time a report of an actual deal being done came from a Brazilian media outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Anyone who knows North Korean wonderkid Jong Il-Gwan would agree with me when I say 99% of all 'transfer news' by rumour pages and ITK's are nothing but horse bullocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The reason there will be hissy fits when no midfielder is added is because the problem has been evident for a few seasons now. Spending or being willing to spend 50M on other parts of the field is connected to the midfield because it shows where resources are being directed. From this we can assume that fergie doesnt see the midfield as as big an issue as the attack. This is a big problem unless he moves away from the 442 or variants of it.

This aint just me saying this, it is a huge number of fans.

As for saying we've had it far too good for far too long, are you a united fan? We have had it good for a long time but i hardly see how a united fan would think it was too good or too long. FYI i would expect fans of any club to be up in arms in a large portion of their spending went somewhere it was not needed while areas that were more in need of attention were ignored.

double GG wrote: »
    Anyone who knows North Korean wonderkid Jong Il-Gwan would agree with me when I say 99% of all 'transfer news' by rumour pages and ITK's are nothing but horse bullocks.

Pardew really dropped the ball on that one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Twitter is a great resource, you just have to know how to use it properly and filter out the crap. If you don't do that, well that's just a bit silly and maybe twitter is not for you.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Twitter is a great resource, you just have to know how to use it properly and filter out the crap. If you don't do that, well that's just a bit silly and maybe twitter is not for you.

"Oh look at me, I can make judgments about who is and isn't reliable myself...." you sicken me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I see Ravel has gone on a season long loan from West Ham to Birmingham. His trip down the slippery slope continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If he was still at United and he had gone on a season long loan to Birmingham, we'd all be talking about what a great move it was.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    One or two Brazilian journos would be better to watch, the source reporting the deal last night is the equivalent to the bbc in England, it is pretty reliable.

Twitter is full of **** alright, but if you know where to look it can be a decent resource.

Why would anybody be listening to what fans in Europe have to say about the deal on twitter? You can read the club statements, you can read what his agent says, you can read what the respected Brazilian journos and papers are saying.

Last night was the first time a report of an actual deal being done came from a Brazilian media outlet.
    Is this the same source coming out with the stuff that Rafel has apparently said?

If he was still at United and he had gone on a season long loan to Birmingham, we'd all be talking about what a great move it was.

Because he'd get more first team football. You'd expect him to get a good few games at WHU if he was as good as he thinks he is!

I suppose thats the difference between not performing well enough to get gametime at Utd so going out on loan and not performing well enough to get gametime at West Ham so going out on loan.

EDIT : Or that ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ah come on, I would agree if he had ever actually played any real top level competitive football. But West Ham are in the Premier League now, and they'll be facing a relegation battle, they're not going to want to play an untried 19 year old either.

A Championship loan will be good for his development, no matter what Premier League club owns him.

Liverpool vs United 99/00 on setanta now if anyones interested. Some awful referring... Giggs pulled down in the box and Butt punching the ball away in the box, no pens for both. Oh and Ronnie Wallwork is playing in CM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Some of the attacks towards Fergie here are really starting to p*ss me off.

Its perfectly ok to question Fergie. Like others say he is not perfect. He has made some team selection errors, not addressed key areas in the transfer windows but its rare for him to do so and the backlash against him since the IPO announcement has been disgusting.

He was right to feel insulted, what this man has done is turn UTD into the best English club and a european power to be reckoned with. Saying he stood to personally profit from the IPO and after it came out he wasn't included in the list of people who stood to profit from it and even after he addressed the rumour and said he stood to gain nothing people have still doubted him. Really? After all he has done for us.

We will always discuss what Fergie does in regards to the team and moan about team selection and lack of strenght in the middle when we loose matches but even when that happens I believe Fergie is acting in what he believs to be UTDs best interests. The man has a fierce competitive streak and loves UTD so although he gets in wrong occasionally he is always doing what he feels best, he is a born winner and would never put out a team unprepared. We always want to win and rightly so the "youve had it too good" point is irrelevant, you can never win enough but people insinuating he may be lying and still doubting whether or not he is profiting from the IPO is disrespectful to the man.

Then we have people dragging up the Rock of Gibraltar. Fergie can be stubborn, we all know that but there is no way he could have seen the situation unfolding the way it did.

People say he is not Man Utd and no one man is bigger than the club. Well he comes pretty damn close. He has turned us into the best club in the EPL. He gets great displays out of his teams. Compare a team with UTDS midfeild to Citys last season and it shows just how much he can motivate and prepare a team. He has a stand name after him. People will be going to Old Trafford for generations and sitting in the Sir Alex stand. Future players will play next to that stand. He is one of the most influential figures in the clubs history and the most influential in our modern history. If its possible to be UTD, he is doing a damn good impression of it.

The real fans comment slightly rattled a few people at first but more and more is looking like the correct choice of words. He is currently working on bringing new players to the club and trying to give us the best chance of competing on all fronts next season, whilst he is working tirelessly as usual and doing everything in his meticulous fashion to make UTD even stronger some fans trust that he has our best interests at heart and are prepared to support him, others want to rehash the IPO situation that he already addressed and bring up the ROG and moan about the CM situation when for all know he is working on it.

Sure question his team selections and call them into question when he gets it wrong but to suggest he is lying to us about the IPO and doesn't care about UTD rather only "numero uno" well in my book you can f*ck right off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

A Championship loan will be good for his development, no matter what Premier League club owns him.

Him not being a knob will be the best thing for his development. His career will be over in a few years the way he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Did Morrison play much at West Ham? Can't remember hearing too much of him after he left United.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Did Morrison play much at West Ham? Can't remember hearing too much of him after he left United.

As far as I know he played one game coming on as a sub with 10 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Sell Fergie, Sack Giggs.

It comes around every 2 years. Best to just laugh at it and move on.

I wonder how much we'd get for Fergie :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement