Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Blatter wrote: »
    I wonder how much we'd get for Fergie :pac:

Not much, he's 70 and i think his legs have gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He was right to feel insulted, what this man has done is turn UTD into the best English club and a european power to be reckoned with. Saying he stood to personally profit from the IPO and after it came out he wasn't included in the list of people who stood to profit from it and even after he addressed the rumour and said he stood to gain nothing people have still doubted him. Really? After all he has done for us
    I hope people stop listening to that Andy Green now.
    He is completely one sided in his views on our finances,a merchant of doom,only too happy to jump at a chance to criticise.
    I have Liverpool supporting mates who quote him all the time as if I should have no comeback because it's a United fans views. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

He is currently working on bringing new players to the club...he is working tirelessly as usual...some fans trust that he has our best interests at heart and are prepared to support him, others want to...moan about the CM situation when for all we know he is working on it.

Is Manchester United a dictatorship? Is it a case of "Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer"? Can we not support the manager but also query some of his stranger decisions?

Blindly following the manager and not questioning any odd decisions is being a "bad" fan in my view.

With the caveat that we don't know who Fergie is trying to sign, the evidence points to attempts currently being made to sign Moura and Van Persie. I've yet to meet anyone who thinks that we need these players. However, every day I speak with and read the thoughts of people who think that United urgently require a midfielder or midfielders.

Contributors here make the point. Friends who are United fans say "Jesus, will he ever just strengthen the midfield". Friends who support other teams joke that "your midfield is sh1te".

The evidence points to Fergie doing nothing about the midfield issue yet again. In my view, he is wrong and the error is as much about his stubbornness and not wanting to be proven wrong as it is about the error itself.

I would genuinely love to hear Sir Alex's thoughts on the issue, but if any journalist asked what is a reasonable question, he'd just be attacked / banished forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Buddy of mine who knows NOTHING about soccer was asking me about midfeilds and I was bleating on about Barca, Fabregas, Busquets, Mascherano, XavIniesta etc

Then he asked me about Uniteds central midfield....

Ummmm, if 4-4-2 theyll probably have ..... Carrick as their main man.... DOES HE PLAY FOR ENGLAND? Ummm no, he couldnt make the squad...

WHO ELSE?

Well this Scholes guy whos like, 37, is very good...DOES HE PLAY FOR ENGLAND...no retired

And this Cleverly guy MIGHT be good, if he ever plays a full season...DHPFENGLAND?....no, he might have been on the bench though if everyone was fit

And this Anderson guy, whos been underperforming/injured for 3 years....DHPFBRAZIL?....No, not good enough...

I THOUGHT MAN UTD WERE THE BEST IN THE WORLD? BUT NONE OF THEIR MIDFIELDERS START FOR THEIR COUNTRY?

Well....Fletcher used to captain the mighty Scotland before his bowels imploded....

So, yeah, Uniteds midfield MIGHt need a few new signings alright!

Fergie Out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Ummmm, if 4-4-2 theyll probably have ..... Carrick as their main man.... DOES HE PLAY FOR ENGLAND? Ummm no, he couldnt make the squad...

Didn't Hodgson say Carrick would have been in the squad, but he made it clear that if he wasn't a key player he didn't want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

SempreInter ‏@SempreIntercom
    BREAKING NEWS: Moratti confirms that Inter give up on Lucas! More to follow

Moratti: "We are saving our money on Lucas. PSG operate under a different logic"

Moratti: "We can't bring him here given these numbers."

Moratti: "I like Ramirez like many others. PSG's offer speaks for itself, I didn't want to close the deal he costs too much"

Moratti: "We aren't sorry we didn't close the deal sooner because the price was too high even then."

Moratti: 'Inter give up on Lucas'
    Massimo Moratti has confirmed Inter are pulling out of the race for Lucas Moura. “There are no regrets, as the €45m PSG offered are completely illogical.”

The San Paolo striker is at the centre of a bidding war between the Nerazzurri, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United, though it has been reported today that the French side is way out in front.

“We would never have gone up to that sum,” Moratti told Sky Sport Italia after a transfer summit in Milan this evening.

“In any case, there are no regrets that we didn’t finish off the move, as the cost was already pretty high a few days ago.

“The €45m that PSG offered are completely illogical and for us it would’ve been very out of key with our approach.

“PSG are starting a new era, so they are completely reconstructing the squad. At least I can relish the fact I’m saving money...”

http://www.football-italia.net/22697/moratti-inter-give-lucas

45 Million? Surely he is off to PSG then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not if he doesn't want to go there. Last I heard his Dad/Agent said he wants to play for United and will talk after the Olympics.

Until he says otherwise I would expect that to happen.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not if he doesn't want to go there. Last I heard his Dad/Agent said he wants to play for United and will talk after the Olympics.

Until he says otherwise I would expect that to happen.

Are there any quotes on that? I thought it was just media running the story without any actual quotes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jame Gumb wrote: »

The evidence points to Fergie doing nothing about the midfield issue yet again. In my view, he is wrong and the error is as much about his stubbornness and not wanting to be proven wrong as it is about the error itself.

What?

In your opinion - Sir Alex Ferguson is not signing a midfield player as he stubbornly refuses to be proved 'wrong' by people like you.

That's nuts imo

EDIT: when I wrote people like you I meant anyone that thinks its an error rather than an offensive - yuck people like you - type statement.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »

What?

In your opinion - Sir Alex Ferguson is not signing a midfield player as he stubbornly refuses to be proved 'wrong' by people like you.

That's nuts.

I don't know why he isn't signing a midfielder.

He should.

He is a very stubborn man - That can be a strength and it can be a weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Are there any quotes on that? I thought it was just media running the story without any actual quotes.

You are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I fear a Fletcher return will put an end to our chances of signing a midfielder.

He should.

If you dont know why SAF is not signing a midfielder why write about him not wanting to be proven wrong and say that he is just being stubborn for not signing one?

you may think he should sign a midfielder and may regard him as stubborn, thats grand.

But those perceptions do not add up to SAF allowing the opinion of any random person influence his decisions about his team.

if he did someone like Shay Given would be in goals not De Gea (see last august)

I would suggest he simply doesn't care what others think about his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Its clear we have money to spend if Fergie wants to move for a player. If we don't sign a centre mid this Summer then surely it means Fergie is happy with the options we have.

Even if we are going with 3 in the middle we're gonna need cover for Carrick. IMO, there is nobody in the squad who can offer complete cover for the disciplined job Carrick does.

If he doesn't sign a midfielder between now and the window closing he must know something major we don't about the squad we currently have. Otherwise it is simply baffling :confused:

Not strengthening the midfield last Summer was a massive mistake. If Fergie's playing style stays the same this year then it will be unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Forget Lucas and RVP, Fergie should take a look at this young lad, he only wants to play for Man Utd.

Seems a bit raw alright, but with his pace he could probably do damage down the wing, lord knows we need more players there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jesus roll on the start of the season, till we have something to talk about.
    Fed up looking at the bloody Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

alproctor wrote: »
    Jesus roll on the start of the season, till we have something to talk about.
    Fed up looking at the bloody Olympics.

The Olympics has been great. Really kept me going with no footie on

The Olympics has been great. Really kept me going with no footie on

Ah yeah, it's grand, but i've just about had enough of them* - Need some football!!!! :)

*apart from Katie Taylor of course... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

He should.

Technically kagawa is a midfielder.If you say he isnt then neither is nasri,silva as they all play similiar positions.
    De gea
    Rafa-ferdy-vidic-evra
    Fletcher-cleverly
    Valencia/nani-kagawa/young
    Rooney-well/hernandez

Thats a competitive team.If all fit.Unbelievable squad for places open your eyes.Even missing scholes giggs carrick,smalling and jones.
    p.s-(/= or)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

alproctor wrote: »
    Ah yeah, it's grand, but i've just about had enough of them* - Need some football!!!! :)

*apart from Katie Taylor of course... :)

Yeah things arent quite right without United. Being English I've loved the coverage from the BBC and the regular golds are helping a lot. Still, its not footie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

487740_391910720864299_1263120104_n.jpg

From a United fan club type page on facebook, don't know how accurate it is.. But seems right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

b757 wrote: »
    487740_391910720864299_1263120104_n.jpg

From a United fan club type page on facebook, don't know how accurate it is.. But seems right :P

You shoulda seen gibsons record, the lad would win the epl by himself

He should.

Technically kagawa is a midfielder.If you say he isnt then neither is nasri,silva as they all play similiar positions now stfu. De gea
    Rafa-ferdy-vidic-evra
    Fletcher-cleverly
    Valencia/nani-kagawa/young
    Rooney-well/hernandez

Thats a competitive team.If all fit.Unbelievable squad for places open your eyes.Even missing scholes giggs carrick,smalling and jones.
    p.s-(/= or)

Open my eyes?

Fletcher has Crohn's Disease, Cleverley's unproven and injury prone, Giggs and Scholes are 38, Jones is a centre half and Anderson (who you haven't mentioned) is injury prone, unproven and erratic. Carrick's United's "main man" and to say that he divides opinion is an understatement.

We've one right back (Rafael) and one left back (Evra). The back up in those positions consists of players who can "do a job" but really play in other positions (e.g. Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Brady etc).

United's squad is weak at fullback and in midfield.

It astonishes me that people can ignore the above. Be a boring world though if everyone agreed all of the time!

Enjoy the last few hours of your bank holiday weekend Folks...

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Open my eyes?

Fletcher has Crohn's Disease, Cleverley's unproven and injury prone, Giggs and Scholes are 38, Jones is a centre half and Anderson (who you haven't mentioned) is injury prone, unproven and erratic. Carrick's United's "main man" and to say that he divides opinion is an understatement.

Just to go a little further on that, Powell is also in the very early stages of his career and will need to be guided and I'd also mention that Kagawa may well be shuffeled in CM or attacking CM somehow, again he is not the answer to the problem...

It really is astonishing how some people can simply overlook or ignore the CM issue. As I've said previously, the signings we have made (and are in the market for) can only point to a change in formation because if we are playing 4-4-2 with those crocked/overage/limited (I'm in the limited ability camp when it comes to Carrick)/not experienced players then we could be in trouble against the big teams and in the CL. Against the run of the mill teams we will get by or even do well (as per usual on the whole) but again, if we are aiming for Manchester United highs then these problems cannot be ignored

• Advertisement

Yeah things arent quite right without United. Being English I've loved the coverage from the BBC and the regular golds are helping a lot. Still, its not footie!

I agree - Coverage on the BBC is absolutely fantastic!!!

Fletcher has Crohn's Disease, Cleverley's unproven and injury prone, ............
    Not to be pedantic, but it's actually ulcerative colitis iirc.

As for Cleverley being injury prone, I think that is probably unfair - He played 25 and 35 games in the two seasons previous to last season while at Watford and Wigan on loan. Granted, he missed a fair portion of last year because of injury, but there were 'other factors' in why he missed further games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

shrewdness wrote: »
    Forget Lucas and RVP, Fergie should take a look at this young lad, he only wants to play for Man Utd.

Seems a bit raw alright, but with his pace he could probably do damage down the wing, lord knows we need more players there.

A poor mans Bebe!!!

I know it was said over weekend but to remember Clev's injury was from a horrible tackle.

also re midfield, Powell, Lingard, Tunni, Petrucci are reasons SAF is putting off signing a midfield player. I'm not saying he is right but he has a history of wanting to give youth a chance even when it may not be the obvious thing to do. For example I gave out a lot when SAF was giving Fletcher a chance to develop.

in the past he paid big money for established midfield players like Veron, Carrick and Hargreaves but with mixed results.

so I'm not surprised by the route he is taking now (even if its not the route I would go with my football manager head on).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Imagine that you're SAF[feels good man]. Instead of chasing Moura and RVP as hard as he seems to be doing currently you prioritise a midfielder ahead of them. Your budget is £25 Million pounds. Who do you want and would that get them?

I don't think that'd swing Javi Martinez. Mightn't be enough and he doesn't look to be leaving Bilbao right now anyway. Fellaini is next in line, but he's looking at Chelsea. I wouldn't have said no to Lassana Diarra but with Sahin going out on loan Madrid want to keep him around as cover. After that it's ???? as far as names go for a physical central midfielder.

Hmm. This buying a midfielder business is harder than it first appears. You want to buy a player (personally I want two or three for that area of the pitch, but one absolute minimum) but at the same time you don't want to buy a player for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Imagine that you're SAF[feels good man]. Instead of chasing Moura and RVP as hard as he seems to be doing currently you prioritise a midfielder ahead of them. Your budget is £25 Million pounds. Who do you want and would that get them?

I don't think that'd swing Javi Martinez. Mightn't be enough and he doesn't look to be leaving Bilbao right now anyway. Fellaini is next in line, but he's looking at Chelsea. I wouldn't have said no to Lassana Diarra but with Sahin going out on loan Madrid want to keep him around as cover. After that it's ???? as far as names go for a physical central midfielder.

Hmm. This buying a midfielder business is harder than it first appears. You want to buy a player (personally I want two or three for that area of the pitch, but one absolute minimum) but at the same time you don't want to buy a player for the sake of it.

Firstly....

Imagine being SAF... I'd be 70... I'd be pissed about that :D

Next, failing Martinez... I'd go after afroman, sure Chelsea may be interested but I (SAF) could convince him he would surely get a game much easier with us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM-ICE wrote: »
    also re midfield, Powell, Lingard, Tunni, Petrucci are reasons SAF is putting off signing a midfield player. I'm not saying he is right but he has a history of wanting to give youth a chance

Paul Pogba, Ravel Morrison and Zeke Fryers would disagree with you on that point.
    Imagine that you're SAF[feels good man]. Instead of chasing Moura and RVP as hard as he seems to be doing currently you prioritise a midfielder ahead of them. Your budget is £25 Million pounds.

Why say the budget is £25 million, when we are apparently prepared to spend alomst £50 million on Moura and Van Persie?

If you scenario is instead of chasing Moura and RVP, then give us the same budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Manchester United are pulling out of the race for Brazilian whizkid Lucas Moura – because his ‘camp’ want an eye-watering £6million in fees.

United were happy to pay Moura's club, Sao Paulo, £25m for the midfielder , who's currently in the UK representing his country at the Olympics.

The snag has been the ‘extras’ wanted by his agent, Wagner Ribeiro, and relatives, which pushed the cost of the deal too high for all concerned.

Reds manager Sir Alex Ferguson had hoped to wrap up a move - and wear down the Lucas clan - but now United have walked away from the deal and will look elsewhere.

Source : Metro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Paul Pogba, Ravel Morrison and Zeke Fryers would disagree with you on that point.
    Yes, because they want money before success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

All this talk recently of agents is annoying - we had no problem spending big on agents before! Bebe for one!! If we lose out on a talent like Lucas over this would be outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Bebe was a bulk discount. We can't be firing six million pounds at the agent of a teenager. If that's what's being asked I'm happy enough for us to walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Manchester United are pulling out of the race for Brazilian whizkid Lucas Moura – because his ‘camp’ want an eye-watering £6million in fees.

United were happy to pay Moura's club, Sao Paulo, £25m for the midfielder , who's currently in the UK representing his country at the Olympics.

The snag has been the ‘extras’ wanted by his agent, Wagner Ribeiro, and relatives, which pushed the cost of the deal too high for all concerned.

Reds manager Sir Alex Ferguson had hoped to wrap up a move - and wear down the Lucas clan - but now United have walked away from the deal and will look elsewhere.

Source : Metro

For those who don't know, that's a disclaimer, it means:

'What you just read is a figment of someone's imagination.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus
    According to 'Globo Esporte', Lucas Moura's transfer to PSG will only be announced after the Olympics. Transfer fee: €45m. SPFC still quiet.

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus
    They say the fact Lucas may remain at São Paulo until December is part of the reason why he will join PSG and not #MUFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

€45 million? They're welcome to him. I was excited about it but €45 million? Come off it.

Naturally, I hope he flops now. Flops hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

So there's Hazard and Moura we lost. Losses which will effect the team in years to come.

Not a great few months for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If the rumours are true, not too pushed about it. If it was coming down to Nani, as many said, or an unproven 19 y/o for that kinda money, I'd take Nani all day long. Maybe Fergie might be more inclined to wrap his contract deal up now.

Edit: Actually wondered this the other day, why would we be in for Lucas and not Neymar? Neymar seems to be further along his development and has shown true class during the olympics. I think he's worth way more than Lucas, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Because we all know that Neymar will eventually go to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Would be a waste of time. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Bolt: I want a trial for Manchester United

SPRINT king Usain Bolt yesterday begged Sir Alex Ferguson for the chance to play for Manchester United — but warned he would have to be quick.
    The Olympic 100m champion told of his dream after being asked about his next challenge.

Bolt, 25, said: “People think I am joking. But if Alex Ferguson called me up and said, ‘OK let’s do this, come and have a trial’, it would be impossible for me to say No.
    “I would not take up the challenge if I didn’t think I was good enough. I am a very accomplished player and know I could make a difference.
    “I would be the fastest player in the team — but I can play as well.”
    The 6ft 5in Jamaican added: “I am in Britain for a few more days. If Alex Ferguson wants to give me a call he knows where I am.”

Bolt — who thrilled the world with his 9.63 seconds victory on Sunday night — has been pals with Sir Alex and his stars since visiting Manchester in 2009 to take part in a 150m sprint through the city streets.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Hazard and Moura, both deals fall thorugh. I'm glad. It looks like both are motivated by money.

I was underwhelmed with the Moura transfer since the story broke. He is a winger, we dont need him. Hopefully Fergie can concentrate the 50m or however much he has on getting RVP and some CM's/defenders instead.

Get Sahin and a left back, Baines if you must but something better if its available. Moura can play in a subpar French leauge and coast to the title without a real challenege but will have to be happy with early exits from the CL when PSG come up against a decent EPL side and giving up any chance of fully developing his ability under Fergies care in a very competitive leauge.

Now RVP, Sahin and a couple of others please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

You'd swear Lucas had already signed on the dotted line for PSG by some replies there, nothing set in stone yet, all we've seen is a couple of website and newspaper reports, same as what was linking him to Utd. He could go either way yet, the only thing that seems certain is that it won't be resolved until Brazil are finished in the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hopefully Fergie can concentrate the 50m

ah Bolt may be good but Fergie's not gonna win any sprints ;)

Hazard and Moura, both deals fall thorugh. I'm glad. It looks like both are motivated by money.

I was underwhelmed with the Moura transfer since the story broke. He is a winger, we dont need him. Hopefully Fergie can concentrate the 50m or however much he has on getting RVP and some CM's/defenders instead.

Get Sahin and a left back, Baines if you must but something better if its available. Moura can play in a subpar French leauge and coast to the title without a real challenege but will have to be happy with early exits from the CL when PSG come up against a decent EPL side and giving up any chance of fully developing his ability under Fergies care in a very competitive leauge.

Now RVP, Sahin and a couple of others please.

IF the Moura deal falls through (exciting player he may be, but not one we need at this moment) then RVP, Sahin or Fellaini, and Baines will round off our summer spending & squad quite nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭larchielads

Fart wrote: »
    Because we all know that Neymar will eventually go to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Would be a waste of time. :p

just like ronaldo ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pj! wrote: »
    So there's Hazard and Moura we lost. Losses which will effect the team in years to come.

Ah yeah, not a total overreaction there at all.

• Advertisement

If the rumours are true, not too pushed about it. If it was coming down to Nani, as many said, or an unproven 19 y/o for that kinda money, I'd take Nani all day long. Maybe Fergie might be more inclined to wrap his contract deal up now.

Edit: Actually wondered this the other day, why would we be in for Lucas and not Neymar? Neymar seems to be further along his development and has shown true class during the olympics. I think he's worth way more than Lucas, just a thought.

hes signed on to santos till after the world cup in brazil hes going nowhere till then i feel he got pressured pretty big by pele to do this and its hard to turn a man like that down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement