Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As things stand we are in decent position to challenge for the league.

However, if we are thinking about winning the CL and PL(which should be our aim every season) then we are not.

We still need sign 2 quality players.

If we do then bring them all on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Wtf are gutties???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Do you think SAF should pay whatever it takes to get Moura to OT? I certainly don't. If you like a pair of gutties, do you pay whatever it takes to buy them? No, you only buy them if you think you are getting value for money.

Nope, I think we should pass on Moura. He's a luxury player that we can't afford. We should be pumping our cash in one and only one area IMO; even if it means not signing cover for LB! IF we do indeed have in excess of £30m to spend then there are quite a lot of excellent midfielders out there who I'm sure would love to play for us. Not signing at least one quality established cm will be a big mistake; even bigger than it was last Summer.

After hearing Fletcher was back training for Scotland I'm even more pessimistic of our chances of signing a cm.

If a player like Sahin goes to a club not playing champs league football and we make no effort to move for him it will be a disgrace.

I know there is plenty time left to sign players but I'm starting to think our business is pretty much done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Wtf are gutties???? :confused:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gutties

EDIT: I'm lol'ing at the dialogue in that link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

@DM-ICE and bucketybuck

My point is that:

- It's seldom that United lose home and away to any side.

- Had City not beaten United both home and away, it's likely that United would have won the league reasonably comfortably.

- They're unlikely to do it next season or every season, notwithstanding the fact that winning the title should have improved them.

Regarding the relative improvement of both sides, City are probably less likely to "Devon Loch" based on the experience that they now have. That's significant. My understanding is that Yaya Toure will be away in January so that's a negative for City given his influence. United should be improved. We don't yet know for sure whether Kagawa will improve the side, but he should and the initial signs are promising. Having Vidic back is huge...bigger than having Kagawa or the likes of Wellbeck with an extra year's development in my view. Chicharito should be fresh which should also be a positive. Having said that, Giggs and Scholes should be less capable of playing 90 mins at the very highest level given their age.

On balance, I think that it'll be close again with United winning it on the basis of taking 4 points from the two games between the sides (a 9 point swing from last season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Smegball wrote: »
    So, everywhere I look City have won the league next year already. Chelseas new found attack will launch them up 4 positions from last year into second. United will struggle and finish third.

Personally I think we will win the league this year barring another major injury crisis. Kagawa has the potential to be the key player. Rooney is Rooney. De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Welbeck etc have more experience. Cleverly and Anderson hopefully to have a injury free season.

VIDIC IS BACK!!!!

If we sign RVP we will be pretty hard to beat imo. Maybe I'm biased though :)

Also, you forgot one thing....

The Hunger will be there to bring the title back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,424 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They most certainly were not freak results, and pretending they were is just ignoring the reasons why.

Ever since the FA semi last year myself and others have known that we are always going to struggle against City for one reason and one reason only, their midfield will piss all over ours. We know damn well that Yaya Toure is going to rampage through Carrick, Giggs, Park, or whomever Fergie chooses.

I remember the buildup to the last league game, and never have I seen a bunch of fans so apprehensive, with many actually clinging to the hope that we might be able to snatch a draw. A draw!

They are not freak results, because the fact is that come the next big league game we will still have the same midfield and the chances are high that City will do the exact same thing again. Just like Barca will still tank us if we meet them in Europe, and just like Real will destroy us should we meet them.

Its all well and good to be happy that we beat all the small teams and ran City close, but to win the big prizes you have to win the big games and United will not do that with their current midfielders. They couldn't do it last season and Fergie still hasn't addressed the reasons why, so how on earth do you think it will be any different this season?
    He rampaged through them in the FA Cup then? Scored a hattrick in the last league game? As happens every single year United are being underrated at this point of the season.

A midfield of Carrick, Cleverly and Kagawa will match up to Yaya, Gareth Barry and if they play Silva or whoever in the hole. They can be improved on yeah but they aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel and I'd say that the problem is less on the defensive end of midfield and it's the lack of support going forward that is the problem.

Barca lost to a team with Lampard and Mikel in CM this season in the CL semi. If they are in form they steamroll any midfield on the planet. It's not that big a deal not to match up to them in midfield, they probably have the best central midfield of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Jimmy Iovine, this is for you

558204_411494968898586_1789360167_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus
    L.Moura talked to 'Folha' after the game abt PSG: This is the good thing, I'll stay at SPFC until the end of the year. It's well underway'

While obviously nothing is set in stone, it's looking more likely his head has been turned and is siding towards a PSG move. We can't compete with the money they will throw around and by the sounds of it Lucas' agent is a real awkward fcuker who is out to get the most money out of it.

Ah well, was excited about him potentially coming, and still hopeful it might turn back around, but it is true he would be an expensive luxury not particularly needed right now. I just really hope that money is used to get one or two more players in if this deal is indeed dead, but I certainly won't be holding my breath on that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

558204_411494968898586_1789360167_n.jpg

Lol
    who da feck is in the back seat. It looks like Kagawa with an 80-year-olds mask on him lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lol
    who da feck is in the back seat. It looks like Kagawa with an 80-year-olds mask on him lol.

I thought it was some weird cross between Kagawa and Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Is it a translator? Could have sworn I saw him, or someone very like him, walk in to the dressing room in a vid before the Cape Town game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Lol

Probably Kagawa's interpreter. He was in a few photos with a club suit on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lol

this guy??

ShinjiKagawa_1533768a.jpg

translator id say

alproctor wrote: »
    Is it a translator?

Keep an eye on him...he could be the next Mourinho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Keep an eye on him...he could be the next Mourinho!

ah the way Fergie is picking and signing players lately, he could be playing in midfield when the season starts.

Why doesn't he get an umbrella? Are United really that hard up?

EDIT: Also I'd say Kagawa's majorly pissed that the 2 languages he knows are probably the 2 most useless in the OT dressing room :)

We should move heaven and earth to sign Sahin from Madrid.

The guy's 23...paying £20m shouldn't be an issue.

He is the one...he's the missing piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He looks like a young lad on a school trip who's trying his best to get himself into every photo.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

Barca lost to a team with Lampard and Mikel in CM this season in the CL semi. If they are in form they steamroll any midfield on the planet. It's not that big a deal not to match up to them in midfield, they probably have the best central midfield of all time.

Hand on heart, if we are talking about a 2 man CM, say Xavi/Iniesta (or swap Bisquets for either) I would have Keane/Scholes in a heartbeat...

Keane & Scholes in their prime, each ones style complementing the other, I can't think of a better partnership :)

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    We should move heaven and earth to sign Sahin from Madrid.

The guy's 23...paying £20m shouldn't be an issue.

He is the one...he's the missing piece.

In my head you said that in a Lawerence Fishburne (Morpheus) voice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

In my head you said that in a Lawerence Fishburne (Morpheus) voice :D

24437780.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Keno 92 wrote: »
    24437780.jpg

Haha..thats brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

For nobody knows how to fix United's midfield...

...and maybe the solution doesn't even exist.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    24437780.jpg

I knew that pic existed, just couldn't post it up as I'm in work, soooo funny :D:D

• Advertisement

Hand on heart, if we are talking about a 2 man CM, say Xavi/Iniesta (or swap Bisquets for either) I would have Keane/Scholes in a heartbeat...

Keane & Scholes in their prime, each ones style complementing the other, I can't think of a better partnership :)

But we're not talking about a 2 man midfield, we are talking about the currently widespread 3 in midfield that every team in the CL semi finals used this season. Also, as much as I love them, even a 2 man midfield with Xavi and Busquets would play (or bore :P) Keane and Scholes off the pitch I'd say. The current Barca team would beat the '99 United everytime, even the current United first 11 would beat them comfortably enough I'd say.

Liam O wrote: »
    But we're not talking about a 2 man midfield, we are talking about the currently widespread 3 in midfield that every team in the CL semi finals used this season. Also, as much as I love them, even a 2 man midfield with Xavi and Busquets would play (or bore :P) Keane and Scholes off the pitch I'd say. The current Barca team would beat the '99 United everytime, even the current United first 11 would beat them comfortably enough I'd say.

Yeah, I suppose the argument would have to be confined to a 2 man midfield as it would be unfair to compare systems of the past and present, but if we are basing the argument on CM partnerships, lets say for arguments sake Xavi/Iniesta or Keane/Scholes in their prime, I just think Keane and Scholes worked both as a defensive unit and an attacking force combined... But I do see you point about the 3 man midfield so it is a little unfair to compare (I'd still have em though :P)

I don't think they would beat them as comfortably as they beat our current/recent crop, the 99 team just had that extra something, quality, ability or confidence, not sure what it was but we could do with a bit of it these days!!!

Oh just a bit more on Moura, not sure if this was posted already but this SEEMS to be from the player himself:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/7971970/Moura-set-for-PSG-switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

shrewdness wrote: »
    We can't compete with the money they will throw around and by the sounds of it Lucas' agent is a real awkward fcuker who is out to get the most money out of it.

Ah well, was excited about him potentially coming, and still hopeful it might turn back around.

I remember when i was about 16, this great looking girl I knew started showing interest in me. It nearly materialised until another guy she knew who had a car asked her out. Took me a while to realise I had just been used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

gosplan wrote: »
    I remember when i was about 16, this great looking girl I knew started showing interest in me. It nearly materialised until another guy she knew who had a car asked her out. Took me a while to realise I had just been used.
    Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Has there been any word on what Fergies business was on Sunday?

• Advertisement

Has been any word on what Fergies business what on Sunday?
    Mass.

Eh?

Ah leave him alone, it's probably going somewhere!! Please sir go on with your tale.....

What? That's the end of it? Jesus that was stupid

Eh?

Ah leave him alone, it's probably going somewhere!! Please sir go on with your tale.....

What? That's the end of it? Jesus that was stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Shoulda had a horse outside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Quandary wrote: »
    So....

When do ye think we'll hear the auld "no value" yada yada fom Fergie?

I'm gonna guess middle to end of next week!

When is he ever wrong in fairness?

We were in for Hazard and Moura.

Both ended up being £35m+ for young players.

There is no ****ing value in the market, hes spot on.

RVP for the reported £20m is a ****ing steal , hes easily worth £30m+ in todays market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Right, now I'm not normally one to get caught up in all the codswallop of transfers, and don't shoot me, I'm just a messenger (who likes to start debates) but-

According to a good friend of SAF, supposedly Fergie told him, Van Persie is as good as done. Once United became interested, that was it, that was his choice. Now I'm still a bit on the fence about it and I'll believe it when I see him with a jersey, but this time last year he said the same about Phil Jones and look how that turned out.

Now I know this reads as a load of shíte and to be honest, I wouldn't blame anyone (including myself) for not believing it, but it's amazing what you find out in a horsey town like Kildare.

Now if it is true, I still dont see how you can incorporate him into the team, do you stick him up top with Rooney, do you drop Rooney into a support/wing role (if United change to a 4-2-3-1)

I'm actually baffled by it. The 20m or so that it would cost for RVP surely, surely could be thrown at a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    When is he ever wrong in fairness?

We were in for Hazard and Moura.

Both ended up being £35m+ for young players.

There is no ****ing value in the market, hes spot on.

RVP for the reported £20m is a ****ing steal , hes easily worth £30m+ in todays market.

Cabaye, Tiote, Carzola, Kagawa, Alba, Vidal, Montolivo, Sahin, Ozil, Silva, Toure - all signings in the last year or two, and all have represented fantastic value. I'm sure there are a lot more too.

The issue is United seem generally poor at spotting value in the market and getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Has there been any word on what Fergies business was on Sunday?

Way too many people assuming that he stayed home for transfer business. While yes he is most likely wrapping up RVP, and was dealing with Moura, don't forget he had a recent collapse and his doctor told him he is travelling too much.

He will not be flying as frequently as he used to, and stated early summer her wouldn't attend both pre season trips.

So wether there is business or not, he was not going on this trip.

I have to say I was excited by Moura, but lost interest the minute he stalled and the way his agent was running him.

Thankfully we will pass him up, and have the guts of £35m to drop on other enforcements.

To re-iterate, the IPO stated expected transfer activity would be £40m. This was after Kagawa and Powell.

So with lets say £20m wrapped up for RVP, that leaves £20 to be thrown at a CM if he wants, and we have been flaunting with enough mid fielders this summer.

Strootman is looking like such a smart buy, but I fear we are going to miss out, from reading forums and speaking to a PSV fan of mine ( dutch lad I've played wow with for years) he has started pre season like he finished last season, commanding, intelligent and dominating.

I fear I'll never have my Strootman :'(

So the M.E.N. seems to think it's all but done for RVP.

Manchester United have shot into pole position in the race to sign wantaway Arsenal striker Robin van Persie.

Earlier this week Roberto Mancini virtually conceded defeat in his attempts to lure the Dutchman to City and Juventus, the other contenders in a three-way battle, are now thought to have cooled their interest after being confronted with his hefty wage demands.

That leaves the Reds at the front of the queue – and M.E.N. Sport understands van Persie could jet in to sign as early as tonight.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

TheDoc wrote: »
    Way too many people assuming that he stayed home for transfer business. While yes he is most likely wrapping up RVP, and was dealing with Moura, don't forget he had a recent collapse and his doctor told him he is travelling too much.

He will not be flying as frequently as he used to, and stated early summer her wouldn't attend both pre season trips.

So wether there is business or not, he was not going on this trip.

I have to say I was excited by Moura, but lost interest the minute he stalled and the way his agent was running him.

Thankfully we will pass him up, and have the guts of £35m to drop on other enforcements.

To re-iterate, the IPO stated expected transfer activity would be £40m. This was after Kagawa and Powell.

So with lets say £20m wrapped up for RVP, that leaves £20 to be thrown at a CM if he wants, and we have been flaunting with enough mid fielders this summer.

Strootman is looking like such a smart buy, but I fear we are going to miss out, from reading forums and speaking to a PSV fan of mine ( dutch lad I've played wow with for years) he has started pre season like he finished last season, commanding, intelligent and dominating.

I fear I'll never have my Strootman :'(
    Aye I agree Strootman is quality and just what we need in the midfield, commanding, intelligent and dominance. Just like we had in Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

When I first heard Utd mentioned with RVP I thought sure they dont really need him and anyway if he is going anywhere it will be City.

Now that he looks like he could be on his way to Utd I am thinking, please please sign for them needed or not him and Rooney upfront with Kagawa/Nani/Valencia supporting would be phenomenal. And I have to say I am pretty excited about the chances of getting RVP.

Yeah I gotta admit, I was kinda 'meh' about van Persie coming to United. And I would still prefer to see the £40m (if that's what's gonna be spent) being thrown at a proven quality central midfielder.

That said, if van Persie is to sign for us, I am certainly not going to be unhappy about it.

Jesus, if it happens imagine how p..sed Arsenal fans will be...

It's their equivalent of Rooney joining another Premiership side.

Piers Morgan's Twitter rants should be funny...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hazard was a done deal too.

Until I see him with a shirt, I refuse to believe anything is a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wont be as excited about a signing since Veron if he were to sign.

Get Sahin too and we be in some position for next season.

Not getting excited, been down this road million times at this stage, only to be left disappointed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

alproctor wrote: »
    So the M.E.N. seems to think it's all but done for RVP.

Source

If RVP does move, it won't be anywhere but United imo. Watching us win PL title after PL title since he joined Arsenal must eat him up inside. He probably wants a PL medal more than anything else, and definitely more than an Italian title. City have pretty much stated that they are out of the running and that the decision is out of their hands.

However, whether he is going to be able to leave Arsenal is a completely different matter. I think he wants to leave for United, I think United want him but I feel Arsenal will not sell.

Having said all that, I am absolutely stunned that Chelsea haven't been mentioned as a possibility.

I wont be as excited about a signing since Veron if he were to sign.

Get Sahin too and we be in some position for next season.

Not getting excited, been down this road million times at this stage, only to be left disappointed.

Kag, RVP, Sahin and (say) Baines...I think I'd go out and celebrate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The issue is United seem generally poor at spotting value in the market and getting it.

Except for Evra, Vidic, Valencia, Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Hernandez, Kagawa etc.

United are probably one of the best clubs for consistently spotting value in the transfer market with the exception of central midfield players.

If we do sign RVP then surely that means Rooney will stick with the No. 10 role and Kagawa will be shifted out left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Like others on here i am starting to think that Fergie does not see CM as a massive issue while Scholes and Giggs are still about,maybe he feels the younger lads can do the leg work for those two.

With Kagawa and RVP now looking likely it would seem that next summer will see a big shift in CM personel with Scholes and Giggs plus Ando liikely to go in my book so the budget of 40-50 million next summer could be spent on CM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement