Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

nicklauski wrote: »
    He's not my mate DM, he's Fergies ;)

As I said I'll believe when it happens, if it happens. But he got it right before so I think it that there may be a hint of truth in it.

Like everyone else, I would rather the money spent on a CM rather than RVP.

If he signed, I could see this team come into play in bigger games in the league/europe

DDG
    Raf Rio Vida Evra
    --Jones--Carrick-
    Val---Kag---Rooney
    RVP

But we're all getting ahead of ourselves here. It may not happen.

But, I honestly think there is too much being said about this for there not to be any truth in it.

Well it wasn't me who mentioned Fergies mate. Twas Rooney.

anyhow I agree with the most of your post. If everyone is fit I see that type of team playing away against City or Chelsea. Only question would be re Jones. I would expect Cleverley or Anderson to play with Carrick.

we would have really good options on the bench to change the set up as well as just who is on the field. City had that ability last season, to bring somone on and change the system the team played. I don't think United had that option, to bring a couple of players on and change the system. Sure we had some players that could change the game but not eeally the system.

I will also add regardless of who is signed I am not the slightest bit worried about the existing players like Welbeck and Hernandez. Welbeck will force his way into the managers thinking as he is so adaptable and improving. Hernandez will be stronger after his summer break and his record for getting goals will see him get plenty of game time. SAF has rotated players for years so they will get the games they need imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

i dont think i can take much more of this transfer window, its absolute madness....

I usually enjoy it but it has been ridiculous the last couple of seasons.

its been made worse by Fergie confirming interest in players we look like losing out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So apparently Real Madrid have had a final €30 million bid rejected for Modric and are going to look elsewhere now. We should offer €35 million or something, they won't want to be stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

So apparently Real Madrid have had a final €30 million bid rejected for Modric and are going to look elsewhere now. We should offer €35 million or something, they won't want to be stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there (again)

I don't think Spurs feel under pressure to sell. Although I do still think Modric will leave (thought so over 6 months ago :pac:) as someone will stump up the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Remember Yorke, Cole, Ole and Teddy. Fergie kept them all happy. Its all about adding to the options not the first 11, we need game changers on the bench and also be able to rest Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Well it wasn't me who mentioned Fergies mate. Twas Rooney.

anyhow I agree with the most of your post. If everyone is fit I see that type of team playing away against City or Chelsea. Only question would be re Jones. I would expect Cleverley or Anderson to play with Carrick.

Thought it was you that mentioned it, apologies :)

The only reason I threw Jones in there was for him to sit deeper than Carrick, as a DM, for the defense to be protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'd be pretty surprised if Modric wasn't a Real Madrid player by the end of the window.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thought it was you that mentioned it, apologies :)

The only reason I threw Jones in there was for him to sit deeper than Carrick, as a DM, for the defense to be protected.

No problem.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Jones line up with Carrick away at all. Maybe bring Cleverley or Anderson on to change the system in attack if needed or add a third midfielder.

good to have the options anyway (in imaginary land where Anderson is actually fit and Jones isn't stuck at right back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Blatter wrote: »
    I'd be pretty surprised if Modric wasn't a Real Madrid player by the end of the window.

Most likely at the very last minute,Berba style,Levy is not going to make it easy for Modric to move and is probably pissing himself laughing at the whole afair!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm looking forward to the United Barca game tonight, mainly cause I'm hoping it will be fun to see a United match again where the other team don't have 11 men in the box :P

I'm looking forward to the United Barca game tonight, mainly cause I'm hoping it will be fun to see a United match again where the other team don't have 11 men in the box :P

Barca have a strong squad for the game too. I hope we match them up formation wise instead of going with a 442. Be interesting to see if Kagawa starts and where he plays if he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Remember Yorke, Cole, Ole and Teddy. Fergie kept them all happy. Its all about adding to the options not the first 11, we need game changers on the bench and also be able to rest Rooney.

Disagree - our squad is fantastic, our first 11 is where we need the improvements. We have enough squad players.

Had we not signed Kagawa, I'd be all over the RVP stuff, but having signed Kagawa I can't understand the thinking behind going for RVP. It really does feel like a deal Fergie wasn't expecting to be available, but wants to do now that it is. It possibly is exactly that, which means Fergie doesn't actually have a plan, which is worrying. I just don't see how RVP and Kagawa fit into the current side. With the bid for Lucas looking to have failed, rumours of Isco being out back up target are starting to surface. Great little player, and would be a quality addition to any side, but I don't see where he fits. Thought he is, i think, left footed so at least there is that.

Based on the players we are being linked with, I can't understand what the plan is. Though being linked with players doesn't mean we are after them, to be fair.

It actually brings me to another point. 4 games gone in pre-season, and we haven't tried anything new on the pitch. Our style of play has been the same as it was back end of last season. Injuries and International commitments have kept a lot of our players out, and I hope that is the reason we haven't seen a new style, but it is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

What time the match on tonight ? Hope it dont clash with Paddy Barnes Olympics fight at 20.45pm.

What time the match on tonight ? Hope it dont clash with Paddy Barnes Olympics fight at 20.45pm.

7pm kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

KO at 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

SSN now saying that RVP is left with only two options. Staying with the Gunners or joining UTD. They are also saying he is expected to fly to Manchester as early as tonight for a medical.

Story seems to be building a head of steam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Sky Sports News quoting sources in Manchester:

RVP likely to fly into Manchester tonight for discussions with United

Senior United players claiming RVP to join the club

SSN now saying that RVP is left with only two options. Staying with the Gunners or joining UTD. They are also saying he is expected to fly to Manchester as early as tonight for a medical.

All seems to be a rehash of the same info tbh,while no real solid evidence i still expect RVP to sign for us.

They are probably just rehashing the MEN story from this morning, which I reckon is pretty speculative at best.

I do think United are interested and I do think they are working on a deal, but I'd be shocked if RVP was flying into Manchester tonight - i'd expect a lot of noise regarding the deal before he was to come for a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He's not my mate DM, he's Fergies ;)

As I said I'll believe when it happens, if it happens. But he got it right before so I think it that there may be a hint of truth in it.

Fair enough. It's a bit irrelevant though. How many people claim to be ITK?

I hope it is true, and I hope whatever you heard is spot on, but I will not get my hopes up until I see him holding up the shirt or arriving at Old Trafford or Carrington.

• Advertisement

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Sky Sports News quoting sources in Manchester:

RVP likely to fly into Manchester tonight for discussions with United

Senior United players claiming RVP to join the club

I'd have thought all the United bigwigs would be in Sweden for the Barcelona game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Fair enough. It's a bit irrelevant though. How many people claim to be ITK?

Oh I know mate, I was actually surprised when I heard it. It's unusual for this fella to say anything, that's why it got my interest.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I hope it is true, and I hope whatever you heard is spot on, but I will not get my hopes up until I see him holding up the shirt or arriving at Old Trafford or Carrington.

We're all the same, I think we are just craving something else to happen. Or anything to happen at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We're all the same, I think we are just craving something else to happen. Or anything to happen at this stage.

We got Kagawa to most likely replace Scholes,Powell for the future but they aren't the box-office transfers we crave.Despite what is being said about needing RVP,if you told any United fan last season that RVP would be linked with us they'd think it was crazy.
    I say bring him on,forget Moura & get a midfielder who WANT'S to play for us.

I hope this window closes with us happy with the business that's been done & not groaning at another statement of "we tried,no value,extortionate demands".

The two top scorers in the League last season could possibly be playing together next week & we are still moaning.It's a long season & a strong squad is more important than ever.(Still want a good midfielder though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Remember when Berbatov was top scorer?
    Instead of buying RVP, a 29 year old, injury prone, £20m+ striker, why don't we just utilise Berba and spend the money in the problem positions?

I am 100% against signing Van Persie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Eathrin wrote: »
    Instead of buying RVP, a 29 year old, injury prone, £20m+ striker, why don't we just utilise Berba and spend the money in the problem positions?

In my view, you're spot on.

We do not need Robin Van Persie. That wouldn't be an issue if we were strong in all areas of the field or if we had unlimited funds. But we need to strengthen our midfield and at fullback too, and we have limited funds.

This potential transfer fills me with dread.

No transfer is comfirmed till they are seen under the De Gea white sheet!!!

article-2008637-0CC1A6D300000578-80_634x420.jpg

Will be far less fun when the expansion at Carrington is completed, United will be able to do medicals in house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

van Persie >>>>>>>>>>>> Berbatov, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

dahat wrote: »
    No transfer is comfirmed till they are seen under the De Gea white sheet!!!

Ah here now, how could you possibly know the sexual orientation of the sheet? Don't judge it before you get to know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

zerks wrote: »
    We got Kagawa to most likely replace Scholes,Powell for the future but they aren't the box-office transfers we crave.Despite what is being said about needing RVP,if you told any United fan last season that RVP would be linked with us they'd think it was crazy.
    I say bring him on,forget Moura & get a midfielder who WANT'S to play for us.

I hope this window closes with us happy with the business that's been done & not groaning at another statement of "we tried,no value,extortionate demands".

Yet we haven't strengthed in our weakest area. The Carrick partner,buddy/holding MF/DMF/CM zone.

Your 100% against having one of the best strikers on the planet in our squad with the possibilty of another player to come as it seems now the Moura money is free to spend elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am actually astonished at the love Berbatov gets on this thread, to even compare him to Robin Van Persie is laughable. Robin Van Persie may have had injuries over his career but hes arguably the greatest Striker on the planet. There is a reason why berbatov played so little football in the last 12 months. Ferguson doesnt trust him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bullvine wrote: »
    I am actually astonished at the love Berbatov gets on this thread, to even compare him to Robin Van Persie is laughable. Robin Van Persie may have had injuries over his career but hes arguably the greatest Striker on the planet. There is a reason why berbatov played so little football in the last 12 months. Ferguson doesnt trust him!

Spot on, there is a MASSIVE argument there.

Berbatov looks to be completing his move to Zenit today.

And as already posted RVP has been spotted leaving Arsenals training base , to no doubt complete his United move.

Excited and sad at the same time. Can't wait to see RVP at Old Trafford, gutted to see Berba go, have had him on all my jerseys last few years, and has been a amazing to watch and admire :(

I'll be hatching goals101 next season for Berbasauraus Rex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Its actually strange that we could be on the brink of signing a world class player and I'm not one bit excited. I'm actually more worried about the potential effect it could have on Kagawa, Welbeck & Chico and also the likelihood that it could spell the end to our summer signings.

Berbatov just never worked out in my opinion, its a shame because he such a classy man and footballer.

Though I think United really need another forward, RVP is 29, I think hes too old unless the fee is around 15m, it just seems a hell of a lot for a 29 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Twitter is about to blow up

Twitter is about to blow up

Why?

RvP latest: Man United ARE making an improved bid - but Arsenal striker has NOT left German training camp

Contrary to reports, the Arsenal striker has not left the club's pre-season training camp in Germany to complete a move to Old Trafford - but Fergie is preparing a new bid

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/robin-van-persie-transfer-latest-1236407

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

RvP latest: Man United ARE making an improved bid - but Arsenal striker has NOT left German training camp

Contrary to reports, the Arsenal striker has not left the club's pre-season training camp in Germany to complete a move to Old Trafford - but Fergie is preparing a new bid

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/robin-van-persie-transfer-latest-1236407

Oh well thats and end to that speculation so especially if its still at the bid making stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

DM-ICE wrote: »
    meriwether wrote: »

Carrick doesn't give enough cover to the defence as is (which is why Scholes was brought back from pottering about the back garden).

That element hasn't improved, and in fact is getting worse as Scholes ages.

I don't think Scholes was brought back to help cover the defence.

Up to New year after 19 games United conceded 17 league goals, 6 in one game. Conceded 16 in total over the next 19 so he hardly helped the defence much - only one goal change there.

I think Scholes was brought back due to the injuries/illnesses suffered by Anderson, Clev, Flether.

In a way I agree with your point, he was NOT brought back to help the defence, but such is the mans ball retention, our possession stats rise with him in the team, we complete more passes etc, helping out the defence is a bi-product of all of these.

But I do take the point he was NOT brought back as a DM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fcuk it, i'm done for the day. Will check in the morning...if he is being signed, he is being signed.

Jez, they complain about violent videogames desensitizing kids...look at the dangers of Twitter...if Messi, Ronaldo, Sarin and the Pope signed for United tonight, I wouldn't give a sh!te.

You just know you'll be in the park or at the cinema and they'll buy Sahin or Dembele and you'll miss it all

Let's say we do sign RVP, does that put an end to the ludicrous thoughts that we are unable to attract top talent to the club anymore?

Let's be honest a) city were very publicly linked to him and b) we did owe them that one for nasri last season

All of the above is just for arguments sake, I know nothing is signed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

lads, in fairness

DDG
    Raf--Vida--Rio--Evra/new LB

Carrick

Clev

Kagawa---

Nani
    RVP
    Rooney

020.gif

J*** in my pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

This is crazy if it goes through. It is a huge gamble on someone who has only really had one season where he has stayed fit and is 29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Are you really?

I can see how you would be if you looked solely at his stats, but Dimitar Berbatov is absolutely everything a football fan wants in a player who represents his club.

a) When he plays he plays well. He was top-scorer in a year we won the league.
    b) When he doesn't play... HE KEEPS HIS MOUTH SHUT. When he doesn't keep his mouth shut? HE SAYS HE IS READY WHEN CALLED UPON! Seriously, how many of today's professional footballers do that? Gentleman.
    c) He is a slick bastard. This is a fact.
    d) He has a first touch that could catch, cradle and comfort a new born baby that has been thrown from the top of a 50-storey building.

Comparisons to Robin Van Persie are not the best argument, but no Manchester United fan has any real reason to dislike Dimitar Berbatov, and I would argue that anyone who does has an irrational dislike of the man due to an inflated price-tag.

Dimitar Berbatov. Hero.

dimitar-berbatov-manchester-united+cropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    This is crazy if it goes through. It is a huge gamble on someone who has only really had one season where he has stayed fit and is 29.

Not my money, not your money. 2 best players in the league last season on the same team? Yes please.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Are you really?

I can see how you would be if you looked solely at his stats, but Dimitar Berbatov is absolutely everything a football fan wants in a player who represents his club.

b) When he doesn't play... HE KEEPS HIS MOUTH SHUT. When he doesn't keep his mouth shut? HE SAYS HE IS READY WHEN CALLED UPON! Seriously, how many of today's professional footballers do that? Gentleman.
    d) He has a first touch that could catch, cradle and comfort a new born baby that has been thrown from the top of a 50-storey building.

Comparisons to Robin Van Persie are not the best argument, but no Manchester United fan has any real reason to dislike Dimitar Berbatov, and I would argue that anyone who does has an irrational dislike of the man due to an inflated price-tag.

Dimitar Berbatov. Hero.

D!!!! Lol!!!! That was brilliant!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sneijder, Sanchez, Nasri, Hazard, Lucas.

I'm not being fooled again. No chance of Van Persie. Not a single tiny teeny weeny chance.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Are you really?

Dimitar Berbatov. Hero.

1. He scored 11 goals in 3 league matches in the year they won the league, it was not Van Nistelrooy in 2003 or Cantona in 1996 stuff
    2. He didnt score a European Goal for something like 3 years if I'm correct and in that period they got to final twice

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement