Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sneijder, Sanchez, Nasri, Hazard, Lucas.

I'm not being fooled again. No chance of Van Persie. Not a single tiny teeny weeny chance.

You want to be fooled, admit it :pac:

Sitting up late at night dreaming of transfers. Its what the window is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭dahat

1/5 RVP to join........sky bet..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you don't need RVP.

it's such a weird one for United to be relentlessly pursuing if it's true.

is Nani leaving?

is Valencia being dropped (given that he's been given the number 7 shirt)?

is Welbeck now going to be benched after a breakthrough season?

is Chico on the way out even though Fergie has said that he's had one of his best pre-seasons in a while and looks ready.

it's all just so very very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

bullvine wrote: »
    I am actually astonished at the love Berbatov gets on this thread, to even compare him to Robin Van Persie is laughable. Robin Van Persie may have had injuries over his career but hes arguably the greatest Striker on the planet. There is a reason why berbatov played so little football in the last 12 months. Ferguson doesnt trust him!

I feel this gets the point across more than any well written response.

BerbasGuide1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1243869500432

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I love Berba. I do.

But he's simply not what United need right now. He's got great skill but United are not the team that he can deploy them in. He's not consistent either. Compared to RVP who, last year, was scoring for fun.

Berba out and RVP in.....honestly, if you had told me at the start of the summer that we'd be in that position at the start of the next season, I'd have laughed and said you were nuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Liam O wrote: »
    lads, in fairness

DDG
    Raf--Vida--Rio--Evra/new LB

Carrick

Clev

Kagawa---

Nani
    RVP
    Rooney

What about RVP on the left and Rooney through the middle? Either that or Nani on the left and Rooney on the right.

Bit of a waste imo having Rooney on the left but I suppose I'd trust him more than RVP to put in the work needed out there and he'd be better cover for Evra.

Of course this can all be ignored if we don't sign RVP. I haven't a clue what's going to happen next. I'm excited and confused at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

1. He scored 11 goals in 3 league matches in the year they won the league, it was not Van Nistelrooy in 2003 or Cantona in 1996 stuff
    2. He didnt score a European Goal for something like 3 years if I'm correct and in that period they got to final twice

That's something no other player has done since. Yet it's used as some kind of put down? 3 of those were all 3 goals in a 3-2 win against Liverpool. Another 5 came in one game against Blackburn where I guarentee you were off your feet punching the air in honor of his awesomeness.

roflbot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

You just know you'll be in the park or at the cinema and they'll buy Sahin or Dembele and you'll miss it all

F*ck it, 51 weeks of the year I'm glued to all forms of credible media to get the latest.....the one week was away on holidays, Fergie comes out and says we're interested in both RVP & Lucas Moura.

Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

To be honest, the possible RVP signing doesn't excite me. I can't put my finger on it. I think it's his age and him being a Gunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That's something no other player has done since. Yet it's used as some kind of put down? 3 of those were all 3 goals in a 3-2 win against Liverpool. Another 5 came in one game against Blackburn where I guarentee you were off your feet punching the air in honor of his awesomeness.

roflbot.jpg

I never said I hated him, but hes not been a good signing for Man United, he had some very good moments in 10-11 but overall its been a poor deal.

I thought is best performance that season was actually against West Ham at Upton Park when he came off the bench I think and changed the came when we were 2 nil down.

There was just not enough of them over the four years personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i really dont get this "we dont need RVP" attitude.

yes we need CM's, but do we need a genuine world class player who will create and score lots of goals?

f*ckin hell, yes we do. signing him and one central player, along with the 2 buys already, would inspire alot of confidence in me and put faith back in Fergie after his recent horribly transfer failings and empty promises.

i am sad to see Berba go and i absolutely adore the man, but Van Persie is in a different class when it comes to producing it when it really matters. a front 3 of rooney, Kagawa and RVP is just salivation material.

ill be over the moon if he signs. hopefully then somebody like Dembele comes in, though with Fletcher back in training, i stick to my theory that Fergie thinks we are stocked in there and in the unlikely stance that we sign a 4th player, it will be a LB.

i can see Baines signing late approaching September to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Peoples' idea of what a £30M pound signing should contribute is really bizarre when viewed alongside the fact that they don't think Van Persie would be an amazing signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I never said I hated him, but hes not been a good signing for Man United, he had some very good moments in 10-11 but overall its been a poor deal.

I thought is best performance that season was actually against West Ham at Upton Park when he came off the bench I think and changed the came when we were 2 nil down.

There was just not enough of them over the four years personally.

Ah I know you dont hate him. But you said you were shocked why he got so much love, so I made it my business to point out that he is an outrageously loveable bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

The way I see it, Would I prefer to have RVP at United or at one of their title rivals? Obvious one really.

Not just that but if other players around Europe see RVP choosing Utd over City then they too may be encouraged to the same should Utd come calling because lets be honest the last few years has seen everyone choose to go to City or elsewhere ahead of Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Are you really?

I can see how you would be if you looked solely at his stats, but Dimitar Berbatov is absolutely everything a football fan wants in a player who represents his club.

a) When he plays he plays well. He was top-scorer in a year we won the league.
    b) When he doesn't play... HE KEEPS HIS MOUTH SHUT. When he doesn't keep his mouth shut? HE SAYS HE IS READY WHEN CALLED UPON! Seriously, how many of today's professional footballers do that? Gentleman.
    c) He is a slick bastard. This is a fact.
    d) He has a first touch that could catch, cradle and comfort a new born baby that has been thrown from the top of a 50-storey building.

Comparisons to Robin Van Persie are not the best argument, but no Manchester United fan has any real reason to dislike Dimitar Berbatov, and I would argue that anyone who does has an irrational dislike of the man due to an inflated price-tag.

Dimitar Berbatov. Hero.

dimitar-berbatov-manchester-united+cropped

One of the best posts I've ever seen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

donalg1 wrote: »
    The way I see it, Would I prefer to have RVP at United or at one of their title rivals? Obvious one really.

exactly. the thought of him at city would just be the end of it to be honest, he took a very poor arsenal team further than us in europe and one place behind us in the league.

imagine what he would so at city? it doesnt bare contemplation. signing him would be excellent and i cant believe there would be any negativity towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

<--- Avid Berba fan

Printed out that post and hung on board behind me, along with the haters gonna hate.

The hatrick against Liverpool including an outragous overhead, was worth the price tag alone. That brought back the sort of giddy jubilation, roaring, shouting and jumping up and down that I hadn't done since '99

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

At least RVP only turned 29 on Monday (i.e. he's not "nearly 30").

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Seems to be a lot of doom and gloom at times on here about the up coming season from some people.
    To be honest I am really excited to see what the new 9 months has to offer.

Ok, we've missed out on Hazard and now Moura by the looks of it, but it is fact we were in for these 2 players which shows intent in this transfer window that hasn't been shown in years, so hopefully the money spared on these 2 players will still be used on another midfielder before window closes.

The introduction of Kagawa is real cause for excitement, one of the most effective players in Europe last year, probably the main reason Dortmund did so well, and with him on board we should hopefully see Rooney stepping it up to another level.

The realistic possibility of adding one of the greatest forwards on the planet into the mix as well isn't exactly something to complain about.

Add to this the fact that we have a very young team when you take away Scholes and Giggs is another reason to be excited as these lads can only improve as the mature and grow more comfortable with one another. The improvement De Gea made as the season went on was a joy to watch, and if that continues he could easily go on to become the best goalkeeper in the world.

The hunger from a trophy-less year should only further fuel the lads to play better, and stupid mistakes from last year, especially in Europe will surely be eradicated.
    Also, those around us haven't done too much to be worried about in the transfer window in my opinion. City have bought no one so far, Chelsea have signed a few exciting players but have lost their main driving force from last year, plus an underrated provider for them in Kalou. Arsenal have done a bit but if we do manage to get RVP from them think that would almost balance out there good work.

This might seem like a small rant out of the blue, especially since I mostly just lurk here, never really post, but I am just really pumped for this season, and the next 10 days can't pass quick enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Seems to be a lot of doom and gloom at times on here about the up coming season from some people.
    To be honest I am really excited to see what the new 9 months has to offer.

Ok, we've missed out on Hazard and now Moura by the looks of it, but it is fact we were in for these 2 players which shows intent in this transfer window that hasn't been shown in years, so hopefully the money spared on these 2 players will still be used on another midfielder before window closes.

The introduction of Kagawa is real cause for excitement, one of the most effective players in Europe last year, probably the main reason Dortmund did so well, and with him on board we should hopefully see Rooney stepping it up to another level.

The realistic possibility of adding one of the greatest forwards on the planet into the mix as well isn't exactly something to complain about.

Add to this the fact that we have a very young team when you take away Scholes and Giggs is another reason to be excited as these lads can only improve as the mature and grow more comfortable with one another. The improvement De Gea made as the season went on was a joy to watch, and if that continues he could easily go on to become the best goalkeeper in the world.

The hunger from a trophy-less year should only further fuel the lads to play better, and stupid mistakes from last year, especially in Europe will surely be eradicated.
    Also, those around us haven't done too much to be worried about in the transfer window in my opinion. City have bought no one so far, Chelsea have signed a few exciting players but have lost their main driving force from last year, plus an underrated provider for them in Kalou. Arsenal have done a bit but if we do manage to get RVP from them think that would almost balance out there good work.

This might seem like a small rant out of the blue, especially since I mostly just lurk here, never really post, but I am just really pumped for this season, and the next 10 days can't pass quick enough for me.

Agree with you totally. And BTW,you need to post more so we can see that awesome sig more often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

1. He scored 11 goals in 3 league matches in the year they won the league, it was not Van Nistelrooy in 2003 or Cantona in 1996 stuff

Ladies and Gentleman I give you Dimitar Berbatov. The only goalscorer in the world who's habit of scoring lots of goals is used against him by his own clubs supporters.

Does he look worried? Does he f*ck

Andy+Garcia.jpg

People should also remember that a forward line of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was able to carry the crap midfield we had in 2008 to a Champions League title. A line-up with Kagawa, Rooney, RVP and the rest is that level.

Let's all post pics of Berbatov and get loads of thanks, yay

Ladies and Gentleman I give you Dimitar Berbatov. The only goalscorer in the world who's habit of scoring lots of goals is used against him by his own clubs supporters.

That's a misrepresentation of the argument and you know it.

The point people are making is saying that he was top goalscorer is skewed by the fact he had a small handful of phenomenal games, not a phenomenal season. Scoring 11 in three games is amazing, but the point being made is there's no point being great for three games if you're missing for the next ten after them....

I would much rather a player who scores one goal a game than a player who scores a hatrick and then nothing for ages.

keane2097 wrote: »

1c5ba4d60592cf9095ccf32bd56d60ad.png?1344441377

• Advertisement

Berbatov-White-House.jpg

ooooooooooooooooops!

ooooooooooooooooops!

Fecking picture was grand when I checked the preview and then decided to go tits up after I posted.

Have it sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

dracula%2Bspanish.jpg

Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

1. He scored 11 goals in 3 league matches in the year they won the league

Berbatov, the only player ridiculed for scoring 5 goals in one game and two hat-tricks.

People should also remember that a forward line of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was able to carry the crap midfield we had in 2008 to a Champions League title. A line-up with Kagawa, Rooney, RVP and the rest is that level.

That's not really an argument for leaving the midfield as it is though...it's more of a "worst case scenario, we can get by".

If we have the sheckles, we should be strengthening the midfield which is substandard relative to the rest of the 1st XI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    That's not really an argument for leaving the midfield as it is though...it's more of a "worst case scenario, we can get by".

If we have the sheckles, we should be strengthening the midfield which is substandard relative to the rest of the 1st XI.

I don't think he was using it as an argument not to purchase a midfielder, he was just outlining what a huge signing RVP could be for United either way.

Not really, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Winning trophies is the end goal, assembling a team to do it is the means, if that team has a sh!t midfield and amazing forwards and still does the job it's all the same.

Probably better tbh from an entertainment POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Are you serious? Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes back then was probably the best Midfield Trio we've had in many many years. I don't get this poor midfield talk in that season. Scholes was arguably at the top of his game, Hargreaves was fantastic when he was playing and Carrick wasn't too shabby either.

double GG wrote: »
    Are you serious? Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes back then was probably the best Midfield Trio we've had in many many years. I don't get this poor midfield talk in that season. Scholes was arguably at the top of his game, Hargreaves was fantastic when he was playing and Carrick wasn't too shabby either.

Hargreaves played about 20 games that year, including a bunch at right back. Carrick was as good last season as he's ever been and while Scholes was better in 08 he was miles from his peak and Kagawa is certainly capable of being an equally good player next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

players Utd have missed out on

03 - Ronaldinho
    06 - Torres
    09 - Benzema
    10 - Ozil
    11 - Alexis Sanchez,Samir Nasri
    12 - Hazard,Lucas Moura

Not really, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Winning trophies is the end goal, assembling a team to do it is the means, if that team has a sh!t midfield and amazing forwards and still does the job it's all the same.

Probably better tbh from an entertainment POV.

But it isn't an "either / or" scenario.

We should be aiming to have a world class forward line and a world class midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Arsneals official twitter account tweeted this about an hour ago,

http://mobile.twitter.com/Arsenal/status/233224944065056768/photo/1

look who it is

But it isn't an "either / or" scenario.

We should be aiming to have a world class forward line and a world class midfield.

Ideally obv, but turning down RVP to get some of the dopes that have been mentioned in this thread over the last few weeks and years would be lol.

Veloso and these sorts of guys, even Fellaini - lolcats. Are people still asking about that Defour lad?

R-V-P! R-V-P! R-V-P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

look who it is

What exactly am I looking for ?

look who it is

RVP,

• Advertisement

look who it is

RVP,

All I see are blurry pixels :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Does he look worried? Does he f*ck

Andy+Garcia.jpg

You are aware that is Andy Garcia?

You are aware that is Andy Garcia?

thats_the_joke-jpg.31014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MD1990 wrote: »
    players Utd have missed out on

03 - Ronaldinho
    06 - Torres
    09 - Benzema
    10 - Ozil
    11 - Alexis Sanchez,Samir Nasri
    12 - Hazard,Lucas Moura

ridiculous post.

"missed out" on Moura, by not being held to ransom by agents looking to rape the club.

GOOD!!

I thought he was the guy next to the one wearing to bib on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Carrick was as good last season as he's ever been and while Scholes was better in 08 he was miles from his peak

Well his peak as a complete midfielder was easily 06-07 when only Ronaldo's heroics overshadowed his brilliance.

Was he really miles from that a season later?

Not from what I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Des wrote: »
    ridiculous post.

"missed out" on Moura, by not being held to ransom by agents looking to rape the club.

GOOD!!
    how is it ridiclous its the truth
    Man U did miss out on all those players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MD1990 wrote: »
    how is it ridiclous its the truth
    Man U did miss out on all those players

They missed out on a million and one players, mostly because they couldn't be fúcked lining the pockets of greedy parasite agents. They "missed out" on Tevez, but the majority of the fans are delighted he's off the books.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Well his peak as a complete midfielder was easily 06-07 when only Ronaldo's heroics overshadowed his brilliance.

Was he really miles from that a season later?

Not from what I remember

I don't really understand the question, I'm saying he was excellent last season. If you think he was better in 2007-08 fair enough but wouldn't think the difference was too big tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement