Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

RVP's agent said to be looking for a healthy sum himself if a deal is to go through, that doesn't bode well for this move being completed.

goal.com link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

http://www.football365.com/manchester-united/7975511/Carrick-is-great-cover-Fergie

With the possibility of Carrick being at the back for the start of the season, how does everybody think that the midfield will line up? I don't think that Scholes with Cleverley/Anderson will be able to shield the back-four with.

More interesting news, if correct, that's an amazing valuation of the club.
    The club, bought by the Glazer family in 2005 for about £800million, will offer 16.7million shares, equal to a 10% stake, which are set to price at between 16 and 20 US dollars (£10-12), before listing on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday.

United, who claim to have a global fanbase of about 660million and have won a record 19 English league titles, would be valued at £2.1billion at the top range, making it one of the world's most valuable sports teams.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7975582/United-begin-stock-floatation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Manchester Airport ‏@manairport
    Got some exciting RVP news coming up very shortly...

lol, that does actually appear to be the official Manchester Airport twitter feed, over 30,000 followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

RVP News: This Sunday at our Runway Visitor Park (RVP) we've got a Mini Circus where you can learn to juggle!

What a troll :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Schism wrote: »
    RVP's agent said to be looking for a healthy sum himself if a deal is to go through, that doesn't bode well for this move being completed.

goal.com link

"Vos declined to comment when contacted by Goal.com."

LOL

I'd say they probably tried posting on his wall on Facebook asking him. Goal.com are probably the biggest spoofers out there. They haven't a ****ing clue what's going.

The sources that they use are their imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

edit : mega too late :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    With Moura in mind, my understanding is that it's generally easier for a Portuguese speaker to learn French rather than English..all part of the package.
    As I said the previous 2 times it's down to the individual.
    I wasn't specifically referring to the Moura situation,more transfers in general.

Anyway I think location is being massively overestimated in people's views on transfers.
    It's a minuscule factor when compared to wages,club,transfer fee etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Blatter wrote: »
    Got some exciting RVP news coming up very shortly...

lol, that does actually appear to be the official Manchester Airport twitter feed, over 30,000 followers.

Yep, he's heard about the great shopping in Manchester ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

What's with SAF being so open and talkative about his transfer targets. A few years ago he would just say ' Yeah we are working on a few things but it's tough etc...' But now he has named the three main players we were/are after... Hazard, Moura and RVP.

Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »
    But there is no need to plan around what Fergie is going to do if the discussion is about some disagreement with what Fergie is going to do. I think Fergie should get a better player than Carrick for that slot in the first team and I think he shouldn't buy any more strikers so that Welbeck and Hernandez will get enough games to develop.

I know Fergie is probably happy with Carrick, but that wasn't really the point of your question. At least I think it wasn't. I was showing you that there isn't any inconsistency in the position of thinking we should buy a midfielder because we need one and thinking we shouldn't buy another striker because we don't need another one and it will harm Welbeck and Chicharito's game time.

Are you sure? I thought Cleverley's injury record was a bit worrying and Welbeck's was more normal.

I don't have a problem with people wanting a new player for Carrick. Thats fine with me.

In my mind, the reality is a new player for midfield will harm Cleverley as much as a new striker harms Welbeck. Harms Ando as much Hernandez. I am fine with either scenario if it improves the quality of the team in the short term.

re Welbeck, he missed the end of last season with an Ankle injury, missed a month with a hamstring injury

for Sunderland he missed two months after new year 2011 and missed end of that season as well injured.

his Preston loan ended in March after an injury as well, he had missed three games then got injured training with united.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

cambo2008 wrote: »
    As I said the previous 2 times it's down to the individial.

Anyway I think location is being massively overestimated in people's views on transfers.It's a minuscule factor when compared to wages,club,transfer fee etc.

You could use that argument for anything.

Shanhan's on the Green IS nicer than McDonalds, but some misguided souls probably prefer Maccy D's. Doesn't change anything. It's nuts to claim that Paris isn't a far nicer place to live than Manchester, notwithstanding that a few misguided souls may prefer Manchester.

I wouldn't underplay the importance of location. London or Paris are more accessible, have better shops, have better schools, have better hospitals, etc. This isn't about what you or I think...it's about what most people would think.

double GG wrote: »
    What's with SAF being so open and talkative about his transfer targets. A few years ago he would just say ' Yeah we are working on a few things but it's tough etc...' But now he has named the three main players we were/are after... Hazard, Moura and RVP.

Strange.

Well in the past clubs and players probably didn't come out and publicly say that they were negotiating a bid with United.

If Arsenal say we've made a bid Fergie can't exactly skip the issue.

It looks like we need cover at LB, CB, RB and CM. Selling O'Shea was a huge mistake, he provided cover in every position :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Aug/sir-alex-ferguson-fears-defensive-problems.aspx

Sir Alex Ferguson has some concern over the heart of his defence ahead of the Barclays Premier League opener at Everton.

Nemanja Vidic continued his welcome return from a long lay-off with a half against Barcelona in Gothenburg while Rio Ferdinand played most of the game. However, the manager feels Jonny Evans will lose his race to be fit in time for Goodison, Phil Jones has picked up an injury and Chris Smalling is out for some time following an operation.

It means midfielder Michael Carrick could emerge as emergency cover as he again filled in at the back during the goalless draw on Wednesday night.

"Evans is recovering from an operation," stated Sir Alex. "Smalling is out for three months. Jones got a muscle injury in his back and was sent home from Norway.

"So the area we're concerned about is centre-back. Evans won't be ready for the start of the season. He won't be far away but he won't be ready.

"Smalling is out and I can't give you an update with Jones because we've not fully diagnosed that. But Michael Carrick was absolutely brilliant [in Sweden] with his passing the ball and his interceptions. He was fantastic."

To be fair the country areas of England are lovely. Most players live in areas like Cheshire where it is peaceful and private. Manchester has all the amenities required within easy travelling distance.

I doubt Paris itself was a swinging factor in the deal anyway.

the chances of the Player getting in the team, the chance to stay in Brazil another few months, the Brazilian DoF, the speed they could do a deal with all parties would come first imo.

They also have some really talented players and a great manager to back it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Throw Carrick or Berba back there and we'll be grand :pac: IIRC Berba played in defense for part of a game last season (maybe CC/friendly?). Apparently he fancies himself as a defender behind the scenes. Much like Rio and his striker alter-ego.

Tony V ----Vidic/Berba--Rio/Carrick----Evra

#sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭dahat

DM-ICE wrote: »
    To be fair the country areas of England are lovely. Most players live in areas like Cheshire where it is peaceful and private. Manchester has all the amenities required within easy travelling distance.

I doubt Paris itself was a swinging factor in the deal anyway.

the chances of the Player getting in the team, the chance to stay in Brazil another few months, the Brazilian DoF, the speed they could do a deal with all parties would come first imo.

They also have some really talented players and a great manager to back it all up.

Also Leonardo must have been a factor,look the kid and his team obviously done well out of the deal,fair play and lets move on.........think everyone is in agreement that 45 million was just too much to pay.....

dahat wrote: »
    Also Leonardo must have been a factor,look the kid and his team obviously done well out of the deal,fair play and lets move on.........think everyone is in agreement that 45 million was just too much to pay.....

When I said Brazilian DoF I meant Leonardo,

but yep, agree with all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It means midfielder Michael Carrick could emerge as emergency cover as he again filled in at the back during the goalless draw on Wednesday night.

Man United's injury problems = The Neverending Story.

Sky Sports News have a fella doing transfer news at the moment...looks a bit like a fat Calum Best...George did get around though...

- City formally in for Agger

- Joe Allen looks to be en route to Liverpool

- Most importantly, United's alleged £15m offer for RVP well short of Arsenal's £25m valuation. The guy seemed to be suggesting that him remaining at Arsenal is the most likely outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

- Most importantly, United's alleged £15m offer for RVP well short of Arsenal's £25m valuation. The guy seemed to be suggesting that him remaining at Arsenal is the most likely outcome.

Pity, but no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

RVP easily worth 20-25M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Call it bluff if you will, but I think United know that they aint going get RVP. Placing in a bid of 15million and going no further shows to me United only pretending they want him to keep fans of back.

If Ferguson really wants him he would up hid bid to 20million minimum. Maybe more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Next year I can see Fergie throwing over a 30million pound bid for Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Call it bluff if you will, but I think United know that they aint going get RVP. Placing in a bid of 15million and going no further shows to me United only pretending they want him to keep fans of back.

If Ferguson really wants him he would up hid bid to 20million minimum. Maybe more.

Throw in a daft lowball dogsh1t offer that will fail. And is designed to fail.

-Complain about the market value.

???

Glazer profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This sums Uniteds transfer dealings perfectly the last few seasons.
    Treating their fans like unquestioning morons, whilst letting the Glazers suck the lifeblood out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ah not this crap about Fergie again :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

meriwether wrote: »
    Throw in a daft lowball dogsh1t offer that will fail. And is designed to fail.

-Complain about the market value.

???

Glazer profit.

This whole transfer windows stinks of this tbh (where Man Utd are conerned). Big public bids then not going the extra distance for players. The money is mad and I'm glad in some cases we are not paying it, but it just seems like we are trying to look like we are in for these players! Good for IPO! I try not to get the tinfoil hat on but all this just seems out of character for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

To be fair, he is hugely injury prone and has one year left on his contract.

15 million is a decent offer. Negotiating up to 20 would be reasonable. But Arsenal aren't going to get 25 off of anybody, even PSG and City.

Now he's their man so thats their right but they are fooling about just as much as Utd are in this transfer.

Kirby wrote: »
    To be fair, he is hugely injury prone and has one year left on his contract.

15 million is a decent offer. Negotiating up to 20 would be reasonable. But Arsenal aren't going to get 25 off of anybody, even PSG and City.

Now he's their man so thats their right but they are fooling about just as much as Utd are in this transfer.

You think putting a reserve price on a footballer they don't want to sell in the first place but certainly won't sell for under this reserve price is 'fooling around'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

What crap? Do you not think if Fergusons hands were not tied by the Glazers, he would have bought Modric, put in a serious bid for RVP and wrapped up Moura ages ago. And its not like the club can't finance these deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You think putting a reserve price on a footballer they don't want to sell in the first place but certainly won't sell for under this reserve price is 'fooling around'?

But they probably do want to sell him now as a lesser of two evils.
    Pricing him out of the market is shooting themselves in the foot. They could end up getting nothing for him.

They are messing about, yes. Arsenal are going about as if it's some sort of ridiculous or derisory bid just for optics. 15 million is very close to a realistic fee and they should have just negotiated.

Bottom line, he wants to leave, they don't want him leaving for nothing and will sell him. Stop fronting up and get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just 3 years ago we bid 40m for Torres, RVP easily worth 25m.

They are messing about, yes. Arsenal are going about as if it's some sort of ridiculous or derisory bid just for optics. 15 million is very close to a realistic fee and they should have just negotiated. Bottom line, he wants to leave, they don't want him leaving for nothing and will sell him. Stop fronting up and get on with it.

Not close enough for Arsenal.

Who are you to dictate to Arsenal as to how they should value their players?

What does 'stop fronting up' mean? Does it mean 'accept whatever offer you get, just because'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

If the RVP transfer saga drags on and he ends up staying at Arsenal what are the likely outcomes? Does he see out the rest of his contract, will Arsenal sell for a reduced fee in the January transfer window or does he have the option to buy out the remainder of his contract at that point?

Not close enough for Arsenal.

Who are you to dictate to Arsenal as to how they should value their players?

What does 'stop fronting up' mean? Does it mean 'accept whatever offer you get, just because'?

I don't dictate anything. The market does. You don't get fee's like that for injury prone players in the last year of their contract. That's just the way it is. They can drag their heels like they did with Fabregas but the bottom line is, he is going to go for less than his worth because they didn't get him on a new contract. There isn't alot they can do.

I don't dictate anything. The market does. .

So Arsenal are obliged to accept what the market dictates?

In this case, we don't have a proper market, as a potential bidder, Man City, have been excluded by RVP.
    You don't get fee's like that for injury prone players in the last year of their contract. That's just the way it is. They can drag their heels like they did with Fabregas but the bottom line is, he is going to go for less than his worth because they didn't get him on a new contract. There isn't alot they can do.

So, 15m is less than he is worth.

Thanks, Arsene would agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In other news Katie Taylor wins gold in the olympic boxing. 4 world and 5 european championship titles also. Shes basiclly female boxings version of Messi/Pele/Maradonna, now if we could just produce footballers of this calibre.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭KH25

I don't see the harm in bidding €15million for RVP. It doesn't mean thats the highest offer that United will make.

As an aside, Mourinho said he'll let Kaka go if he gets a good offer. Anybody reckon we might throw in a sneaky bid? I'd much rather Sahin but kaka could do well. He's only 30.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11827/7975376/Mourinho-Kaka-can-leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RVD420 wrote: »
    Throw Carrick or Berba back there and we'll be grand :pac: IIRC Berba played in defense for part of a game last season (maybe CC/friendly?). Apparently he fancies himself as a defender behind the scenes. Much like Rio and his striker alter-ego.

Tony V ----Vidic/Berba--Rio/Carrick----Evra

#sorted

Berba played DM in Carling cup, was actually quiet aware of what was going on, won a few headers and when he got the ball made good passes.

But this was again some League 1 side or something if I remember correctly, and we were cruising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Is Sir Alex Ferguson the one who decides what price we bid for players? I always thought that was the Chief Executive's job. I imagine Fergie says "I would like to sign ______" and off David Gill goes to sign him. Maybe I'm being naive, I'm not sure.

But it pisses me off to see Fergie being blamed for United only bidding £15m for Robin Van Persie, and even more ridiculous to think that this is some ploy by the greatest manager of all time to keep the "fans" off his back.

The attitude in this thread has gone really sour since Moura to PSG was confirmed. I think I read that Paris was a ****hole at one stage. Get a grip and let the man manage his football team. What stuns me is how many people say "You can't believe what you read in the press anymore!" and then start turning on the club and the manager because what they read in the press, it's mind blowing at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

KH25 wrote: »
    I don't see the harm in bidding €15million for RVP. It doesn't mean thats the highest offer that United will make.

As an aside, Mourinho said he'll let Kaka go if he gets a good offer. Anybody reckon we might throw in a sneaky bid? I'd much rather Sahin but kaka could do well. He's only 30.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11827/7975376/Mourinho-Kaka-can-leave

Unless we can get him for next to nothing I would pass. We need to lower the avg age of our midfeild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

adox wrote: »
    Pricing him out of the market is shooting themselves in the foot. They could end up getting nothing for him.

What arsenal is doin is the right idea. been a soft touch the last while, if they hold firm on rvp it should make their players behave more in the future and they wont have the same level of interfernce and a perception as a soft touch

I love the way there was a gap in the posts spanning the length of Katie's fight. If anyone had posted here during it I'd probably have put them on ignore :P.

• Advertisement

In just over 4 months time, Juventus can approach RVP and sign him for free. The lack of transfer fee would free up more funds for agent/signing fees and wages(not to mention the differences in tax structures). Basically, they could offer him ever more than they can now.

If Arsenal want a fee, they need to sell in the next 3 weeks.

Edit: I'm referring to a pre-contract agreement, they would sign him in July 2013.

Is the United IPO taking place tonight / tomorrow?

Given the volume of chat about it when the briefing document came out, I thought that there's be more reference to it here.

Is the United IPO taking place tonight / tomorrow?

Given the volume of chat about it when the briefing document came out, I thought that there's be more reference to it here.
    People are too busy watching Katie Taylor to complain about the Glazers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

adox wrote: »

What arsenal is doin is the right idea. been a soft touch the last while, if they hold firm on rvp it should make their players behave more in the future and they wont have the same level of interfernce and a perception as a soft touch

Defo. As an arsenal fan, we need to start standing up to player power. Fab, nasri, rvp, and now song.

It's impossible for our club to move forward when it's being destabilized by our own best players every summer.

You can't really put a figure on it but I'd say it's worth more than 15 million just to see rvp strengthen man u.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Is Sir Alex Ferguson the one who decides what price we bid for players? I always thought that was the Chief Executive's job. I imagine Fergie says "I would like to sign ______" and off David Gill goes to sign him. Maybe I'm being naive, I'm not sure.

I never think that is likely to be the case whenever I hear it being said.

What you are describing would only make sense if there was an unlimited transfer budget. Since that is pretty much never the case (even at places like City and Chelsea), it would only be a very foolish manager who would let someone else have such a strong influence over how their transfer budget is spent.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Chief Executive was left to handle the bidding process and negotiations. So if that's what you were really thinking about, I agree. But the final fee paid must surely be signed off on by the manager.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement