Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    Rafael is surely a must at right back. Hes a super little player. I`d have him as a regular starter every day of the week.

Dunno about that, he'd be exhausted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Rafael is Qualington!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I cant understand people saying improving our forward line is a bad thing because it hinders chico and welbeck. How much will they learn from rvp for a start. Fergie likes to have 4 good forewards for as long as i remember and competition for places is a good thing as far as im concerned.
    I was delighted moura went elsewhere for that kind of money id atleast want him in the stRting 11 of the brazil olympic team . Its a youth tournament more or less .
    Pity the ipo didnt do better . Pity the glaziers didnt say they shall take a smaller percentage of the takings . The debt should be paid before they start psyphoning out the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

cloptrop wrote: »
    I cant understand people saying improving our forward line is a bad thing because it hinders chico and welbeck. How much will they learn from rvp for a start. Fergie likes to have 4 good forewards for as long as i remember and competition for places is a good thing as far as im concerned.
    I was delighted moura went elsewhere for that kind of money id atleast want him in the stRting 11 of the brazil olympic team . Its a youth tournament more or less .
    Pity the ipo didnt do better . Pity the glaziers didnt say they shall take a smaller percentage of the takings . The debt should be paid before they start psyphoning out the money.

It's not so much their game time and development suffering that will annoy people but more so that RVP will automatically jump above them in the pecking order for the next few seasons if he comes which could result in either Chico or Wellbeck wanting the leave the club if they're not getting games.

Look at is this way, he's in the prime-twilight of his career, got 3-4 seasons max left in him at the very top of his game, whereas if we give them enough games Hernandez and Wellbeck could be at the top for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

cloptrop wrote: »

But there is no need for 4 senior strikers this year. With Kagawa signed our strongest XI will be him playing off Rooney so for a lot of games we will only be playing with 1 striker. Therefore signing RVP might vastly improve our striking options but I think our strongest XI would be slightly inferior as you would have Kagawa playing out of position and if it was the case he was pushed into CM it would leave us much more defensively vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Or we could find out their not good enough and sell them in a year or two. Rvp is a proven quality player that can hold down the fort while we wait annd see their true value .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Unconfirmed reports that Carrick Is back in the England squad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Rafael should be first choice right back.
    His link up play with Valencia is great.

Reminds me of Neville/Beckham in their United prime. Before anyone jumps in, I'm not saying that they are better players (yet ;) ) but the partnership will just get better and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Football's a great game. You look back fondly at Rafael's performance in that game. Rafael haters cite that game as evidence that he can't be relied upon and that he's a headless chicken.

Unless you're kidding? Hard to tell.

Personnally I consider him "on trial" this season as first choice right back...if he does well, he's there for years...if he doesn't, a replacement should be signed.

No I'm deadly serious. He was showing good form at that time aswell compounded by a pretty dominant defensive display against what was before hand labelled an opportune night for Ribery to tear apart a young right back.

I remember it vividly, Ribery didn't get a sniff all night and then swopped with Robben and Rafael coped with both effortlessly.

The sending off was a bit silly, but also a harsh decision.

I remember the match thread on here that night and afterwards there was a pretty even split of those who thought it was a tremendous display by Rafael that was unfortunate to end the way it was, and others who overlooked what he did in the game and went mental because he got sent off.

While I wouldn't consider him proven, I think he is our strongest right back and links up well on the right flank. His pace is breathtaking aswell, bit of refinement and we will have a quality right back on our hands.

Unconfirmed reports that Carrick Is back in the England squad .

Happy that finally he is getting the international recognition he deserves. For years the talk was how to pair Lampard and Gerrard, when really it should have been who partners Carrick.

On the downside, at his age I kinda hope he isn't over utilised internationally etc. Possibly one of the benefits of why Carrick has come to the forefront of our first XI the last two seasons is because of his ommision from the England squad, and been able to focus 100% on United.

I'm sure Fergie will have the usual " ditch that **** ASAP" conversation he usually has with this 30+ year olds :D

• Advertisement

Az0B0vuCYAEKoZY.jpg

Easy to see whose starstruck here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Anyone else a little worried that we have heard no other stories or no other clubs have come out and said UTD are interested in one of our players.

It looks like Moura and RVP are all we are in for and no CMs are on the horizon. No value in the market here we come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Roberto Mancini: "Robin van Persie is not our player. He is an Arsenal or United player''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blatter wrote: »
    Roberto Mancini: "Robin van Persie is not our player. He is an Arsenal or United player''

Monday press: RVP signs for City.

I think we can take it as true that RVP has told Ars he wants to join United, they can still dig there heels in and keep him for a year, makes no sense but they can.

Monday press: RVP signs for City.

Ha! I could be wrong but I really don't think they're in the running for him anymore. You can get as long as 8/1 that he'll join City this Summer.

More quotes from Mancini this morning indicating that he's clearly not happy with City's transfer policy this Summer. Relationship very tense with Marwood.

I can't believe City haven't bought anyone yet, I think someone mentioned it before on this thread, they wanted De Rossi and Thiago Silva in January but ended up with Pizarro because they are wary of the Financial Fairplay. They have a lot of dead wood as well which they must be trying to shift before increasing the wage bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blatter wrote: »

Similar to what Fergie said about Nasri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Re : City, Mancini and signings.

Telegraph are on it now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9466524/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-frustrated-at-the-lack-of-transfer-activity-this-season.html

Something is going to have to give. Mancini clearly wants to bring in new blood but is seemingly being kept on a tight leash.

Schism wrote: »
    Re : City, Mancini and signings.

Telegraph are on it now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9466524/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-frustrated-at-the-lack-of-transfer-activity-this-season.html

Something is going to have to give. Mancini clearly wants to bring in new blood but is seemingly being kept on a tight leash.

I would put precisely no stock in anything that comes out of the Telegraph. Example of how poor their reporting is, from that very article:
    Telegraph wrote:
    who seems to be bound for Manchester United, who City face in Sunday's Community Shield.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Az0B0vuCYAEKoZY.jpg

Puke!

The quotes are from a press conference this morning.

No context is given. What were the questions asked?

Well at least City don't appear to be completely ignoring FFP rules. If they didn't exist I couldn't see them giving a fúck about wanting to sell before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with people wanting a new player for Carrick. Thats fine with me.

In my mind, the reality is a new player for midfield will harm Cleverley as much as a new striker harms Welbeck. Harms Ando as much Hernandez. I am fine with either scenario if it improves the quality of the team in the short term.

It doesn't matter if you think that is the reality of what Fergie would do (and it probably is), you asked if the two proposals put forward by some were inconsistent and the answer is they are not.
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    re Welbeck, he missed the end of last season with an Ankle injury, missed a month with a hamstring injury

for Sunderland he missed two months after new year 2011 and missed end of that season as well injured.

his Preston loan ended in March after an injury as well, he had missed three games then got injured training with united.

I think Cleverley spent longer out with his injuries, but I'm open to correction on that.

No context is given. What were the questions asked?

Jesus man, it's a throw away article I had just read that was pertinent to the last few posts made and as such I thought I'd share it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Az0B0vuCYAEKoZY.jpg

Would love a sig of this............looking in Mikeys direction.

Interested to know if that pic was after Scholes up ended Busquets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Carrick and Clev on England squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Carrick and Clev on England squad

And ashely young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

No Rooney or Welbeck in england squad is strange . Not complaning though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

tvercetti wrote: »

i've seen two photos of scholesy smiling from that game. that has to be some kind of record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

No Rooney or Welbeck in england squad is strange . Not complaning though .

I think Hodgson is looking to experiment with a few things. Gerrard was left out and Bertrand was brought in instead of Cashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Two thoughts.

To all those saying Fergie always likes four strikers and holding up the '99 squad as an example, don't forget that in those days Fergie also played with two strikers. The game has changed, and now one striker is the norm, with others playing deeper. Considering the changing nature of formations United already have the equivalent of a Yorke/Cole/Sheringham/Solskjaer forward line, namely Rooney/Hernandez/Wellbeck and Kagawa.

You will see two up front very rarely this season I expect, so no, we don't need four out and out strikers. Attacking wise we are extremely well set, and it is a waste of money to add to our options there.

Secondly, if there were reports in the media that United were preparing a bid for the tremendously exciting young Brazilian full back that had just starred as Brazil won the Olympic games soccer, most United fans would be creaming themselves about the prospect set to join the club.

In Rafael we have potentially one of the best fullbacks in the world already at our club, the mind boggles that some fans don't appreciate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Az79qW5CIAE3RDR.jpg:large

Az7poiUCMAEvOrs.jpg:large

Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Awful, Awful photos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Blue Horseshoe loves Manchester United...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

tvercetti wrote: »

Kept it simple.

tvsig.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/tvsig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Awful, Awful photos.

and to top it off.

Az8C6jeCYAAyUv5.jpg

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pretty standard stuff for any new big flotation.
    I remember WWE actually had a ring setup outside with matches going on O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Kept it simple.

Cheers Mikey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Az0B0vuCYAEKoZY.jpg

Not sure who looks happier.

scholesandmessi.jpg

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/10/man-united-submit-23-5m-bid-for-quality-box-to-box-midfielder/

Portuguese source 'O Jogo' claims we have put in a €30m for Axel Witsel. Can anyone say if they are at all reliable? Would love Axel at the club, he is a top young CM, and the beauty of it is, he is actually a CM.

Obviously caughtoffside is a pile of dirt, but they have a source for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Can anyone say if they are at all reliable?

With a name like that, they've gotta be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭dahat

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/10/man-united-submit-23-5m-bid-for-quality-box-to-box-midfielder/

Portuguese source 'O Jogo' claims we have put in a €30m for Axel Witsel. Can anyone say if they are at all reliable? Would love Axel at the club, he is a top young CM, and the beauty of it is, he is actually a CM.

This excites me......but like all good fantasies it will end in disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

There were rumours yesterday that Real Madrid had met his release clause of £34M and he was close to joining them.

Probably bullshít but their interest is probably genuine so given the choice who would he join? Real Madrid me thinks...

That report came from Portuguese source 'A Bola' yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Glazers opening the market.

Is Malcolm alive? Has he ever even been to Manchester? I've never seen him in any official photos or anything. It's always his sons.

Az8N4mgCIAANevo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Could be wrong but weren't they the same crowd who were saying we had signed Gaitan?

s_carnage wrote: »
    Could be wrong but weren't they the same crowd who were saying we had signed Gaitan?

Now theres a player I forgot existed.

Didn't Milan supposedly enquire about Witsel only to receive a valutation of €40m? If so it's a hefty price tag.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement