Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

Hope so but I don't think so. If he returns I don't think he will be at the same level. Wish him a good recovery though.

Is he sick in the picture above with gill? He Doesnt look great...

Don't think that's anything to do with the illness....

Hope he gets well soon :)

kryogen wrote: »
    If Gago is going free I'd have to take him

+1 on that, I have this feeling he'd take to another Spanish club before he'd come to England though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sacramento wrote: »
    Don't think that's anything to do with the illness....

Hope he gets well soon :)

Anybody know for sure whats happening with him? Is he due for pre season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

zerks wrote: »
    Marca saying Diarra,Gago,Altintop & Carvahlio could be let go on free transfers just to get them off the wage bill.

Diarra and or Gago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Anybody know for sure whats happening with him? Is he due for pre season?

Dont know this for sure, but if he is expected at pre season training that would be a minor miracle imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Nice little write up on Kagawa here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hope so but I don't think so. If he returns I don't think he will be at the same level. Wish him a good recovery though.

Is he sick in the picture above with gill? He Doesnt look great...

That picture was last preseason I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rochey18 wrote: »
    The fan is called Phillip Gannon

SSN must have gotten mixed up and gave a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

You people all crazy!? Gago is clearly Argentinian, and as such, will lose any and all footballing ability upon signing for us.

Sahin plays for Real Madrid, I am of the firm belief Man Utd will not sign anyone from Madrid while SAF is in charge.

Fenix wrote: »
    You people all crazy!? Gago is clearly Argentinian, and as such, will lose any and all footballing ability upon signing for us.

Sahin plays for Real Madrid, I am of the firm belief Man Utd will not sign anyone from Madrid while SAF is in charge.

Heinze was excellent when he came!

They only lose the ability gradually :D

Just on the Real Madrid thing, the story goes that it was Calderon that the problem was with really for Fergie, and for most other people, he had a horrendous manner in doing business. Also with Jose there now the relations between the clubs are thought to be a lot better now.

Perez has repaired the damage done by Calderon somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Heinze was excellent when he came!

They only lose the ability gradually :D

Just on the Real Madrid thing, the story goes that it was Calderon that the problem was with really for Fergie, and for most other people, he had a horrendous manner in doing business. Also with Jose there now the relations between the clubs are thought to be a lot better now.

Perez has repaired the damage done by Calderon somewhat

Not sure about that. I think Fergie publicly despises Calerdon but probably hates Perez as much. I don't see what Perez done to repair anything. Ronaldo was going to Madrid in Calderon's term but happened to sign when Perez one. Let's not forget Perez is the guy who declared he was signing for Real Madrid before it went official and there was accusations about Perez during the Wayne Rooney saga last year.

Certainly Perez is a better person than Calderon but I'm not sure Fergie likes either.

Not sure about that. I think Fergie publicly despises Calerdon but probably hates Perez as much. I don't see what Perez done to repair anything. Ronaldo was going to Madrid in Calderon's term but happened to sign when Perez one. Let's not forget Perez is the guy who declared he was signing for Real Madrid before it went official and there was accusations about Perez during the Wayne Rooney saga last year.

Certainly Perez is a better person than Calderon but I'm not sure Fergie likes either.

Perez was in charge, but all parties except United (afaik, they have not denied it however) have now admitted publicly that the Ronaldo deal was agreed the summer before he left so Perez may have jumped the gun alright, but the club knew he was leaving, and so did the dogs in the street.

For someone who supposedly despises Madrid Fergie does have quite a number of dealings with them :) Wouldn't let Heinze go to Liverpool but had no problem with him going to Madrid?

Your probably right of course that Fergie doesn't actually like either one, I don't like either myself, I remeber Perez in his last tenure as President of the club!

But I think the idea that United and Madrid don't or won't do business because of Ferguson is exaggerated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Considering we were considering a £20 million move for Diarra before,I can't see Fergie's hatred of the head men of Real stand in the way of getting a couple of decent players for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That picture was last preseason I think..

Scholes is there though in a players tracksuit so wouldnt say its last years pre season

Scholes is there though in a players tracksuit so wouldnt say its last years pre season

Ah **** yeah. Its from 2010. The date on it says 2010/07/23/ and its from the Daily Mail. I think there was a video to go along with it, where they did a shot challenge or something like that, did a quick search couldn't find it though.

Regardless, I hope Fletch gets better soon, would love to see him back again.

Bilbao have moved quick to dismiss reports linking Javi Martinez to Munich
    sell Modric to an overseas club rather than to one of his Premier League rivals.

Bilbao Deny Munich’s Martinez Link

Athletic Bilbao are denying that former Manchester United target Javi Martinez is wanted by Bayern Munich.

The 23-year-old Athletic Bilbao defensive midfielder was linked with United as long ago as last October when we reported that the Red Devils would be prepared to put in a bid of around 20million euro (now worth £16million) but that Bilbao would want twice as much as that.

Reports in the Spanish press claim that Bayern have made a move for the Spain international who is currently in Poland with his country’s Euro 2012 squad. However, sources close to the Spanish side claim that he hasn’t asked to leave the club nor have Bayern made any approach.

Spanish media sources claim Athletic still value Martinez at 40million euro (£32million), that being the value of the release clause in his contract. It was reported earlier this week that he is also a target for Barcelona.

If they would genuinely sell for around the 30million mark I think we should really be doing everything to get him on board.

More Modric and Rodirguez talk too, nothing new on Rodriguez really and just speculation that Modric agent is going to meet Levy to tell him he wants to leave
    United Target Modric Ready to Leave Spurs

Manchester United target Luka Modric is ready to tell Spurs that he wants to leave White Hart Lane.

The Daily Mirror claims Modric’s representatives are ready to meet Spurs chairman Daniel Levy to discuss the Croatian’s future and at that meeting they will tell Levy that Modric wants to leave the club.

United have been linked with interest in Modric but it was reported earlier this month that manager Sir Alex Ferguson is not ready to sanction a bid as high as the £32million which Spurs are rumoured to have put on the midfielder. Sir Alex believes that £25million is a more realistic valuation for the 26-year-old who was the subject of three rejected bids from Chelsea last summer.

Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid are also interested and Levy, if pushed, may choose to sell Modric to an overseas club rather than to one of his Premier League rivals.

With the colombian it just seems like agent ****e
    The agent of Porto star James Rodriguez expects developments over a move to Manchester United to be discussed next week.

United are expected to step up their pursuit with a deal for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Shinji Kagawa now complete.

Rodriguez, 20, is already a senior international for Colombia and Porto know they face a fight to hold on to him. And the player's agent, Silvio Sandri, is seeking showdown talks with the club over his future.

Sandri told O Jogo: "There is nothing new to report. This is a matter to be discussed with Porto.

"Within a couple of weeks I plan to go to Portugal to speak with the leaders of Porto. I cannot talk more about this as it is so complex."

Just on Modric/Martinez, if we are to spend 32 million on one of them I would like to it be Martinez. Doubtful we would spend that much on either however

In almost United related news, Rio seems to have gotten over his England snub, he has been praising the team and saying how it is the team unity is better then he has ever seen and that the spirit is great and blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I really must say I think Modric would be a fantastic signing for us and I would love to see him at the club. But if Martinez was willing to come, and they were both to cost 30mil there is only one option and that is Martinez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/22/liverpool-fan-banned-racist-abuse-evra
    A Liverpool fan has been given a four-year football banning order after he was found guilty of racially abusing his rival Manchester United supporters and their club captain Patrice Evra.

Phillip Gannon, 58, was seen on live television doing a racially offensive monkey impression, Liverpool Magistrates' Court was told.

The incident happened amid a volatile atmosphere at Anfield on 28 January this year when the two sides met in an FA Cup fourth round clash, Rob Girvan, prosecuting, told the court.

No doubt he'll be spotted in the crowd next season, sporting this

disguise.jpg

and this

scouser20wig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In almost United related news, Rio seems to have gotten over his England snub, he has been praising the team and saying how it is the team unity is better then he has ever seen and that the spirit is great and blah blah blah.

How does he know?

greendom wrote: »
    How does he know?

seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Am I the only one unfamiliar with Martinez?

I only seen him in a few games in La Liga this season, maybe 5 or so. Missed both the games we played against them as well.

adox wrote: »
    Am I the only one unfamiliar with Martinez?

it would appear so!

he played against ireland last week, also played against united twice. apart from that however, alot of people would have known about him a year or more ago and would have kept an eye on him in the euro u-21 when he was the stand out player.

best young CM in the world IMO and probably the only player out there who i think would be worth spending 30million on to address our problem.

if we got him, kagawa and the two young lads powell and clyne, then i would call that an excellent summer and perhaps our best summer apart from 2007 since 99.

i think the clyne deal will be sorted over the coming 2 or 3 weeks, but hopefully we sign one top class CM and then everybody would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

it would appear so!

he played against ireland last week, also played against united twice. apart from that however, alot of people would have known about him a year or more ago and would have kept an eye on him in the euro u-21 when he was the stand out player.

best young CM in the world IMO and probably the only player out there who i think would be worth spending 30million on to address our problem.

if we got him, kagawa and the two young lads powell and clyne, then i would call that an excellent summer and perhaps our best summer apart from 2007 since 99.

i think the clyne deal will be sorted over the coming 2 or 3 weeks, but hopefully we sign one top class CM and then everybody would be happy.
    In fairness the Ireland game could not be a barometer for assessing a players worth, certainly when he came on. I'd have looked good in that game.

In fairness the Ireland game could not be a barometer for assessing a players worth, certainly when he came on. I'd have looked good in that game.

who is using the ireland game as a barometer?

Talk of Baines to United is growing and i dont like it one bit.

if we sign him, then i honestly think thats it and we wont sign anybody else and yet another summer goes by where we have not bought a top class CM.

Baines is not needed at united and its a waste of f*cking time and money if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Samba wrote: »
    seriously?

Absolutely, unless he is with the team in Poland how could he know? Unless he prefaced the quote with "I've been told" or I missed the news that he joined up with the squad its BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

if we sign him, then i honestly think thats it and we wont sign anybody else and yet another summer goes by where we have not bought a top class CM.

Baines is not needed at united and its a waste of f*cking time and money if it happens.

I understand and agree with the need for a world class central midfielder.

Baines is a serious threat from set-pieces, and has proven himself as a quality defender too over the past while at Everton. I wouldnt be disappointed at all to see him signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

alproctor wrote: »
    I understand and agree with the need for a world class central midfielder.

Baines is a serious threat from set-pieces, and has proven himself as a quality defender too over the past while at Everton. I wouldnt be disappointed at all to see him signing.

While also acknowledging the CM problem,i totally agree with you and believe Baines brings alot to the table that Evra just does not have in his locker,crossing,set piece delivery.
    The issue for me is the fee,if it goes over 15 million i would be annoyed as he is 26/27 now.
    Pulled this off Twitter.....
    All English side possible nexrt year--- Amos, smalling, jones, Ferdinand, Baines, cleverly, scholes, carrick, young, welbeck, Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What would you do about Evra then? It's likely that Fabio will be gone for the season and Fryers isn't ready for the step up yet.

There is a clear problem at left back. It's not as glaring as the one in CM but it's still there. Evra has been shafted from the French team and it doesn't look like he's going to get his place back. He was woeful in the last two games he played.

With no realistic competition for his place he'll get even more complacent.

Centre midfield is the main problem area for the team and I'd like that to be sorted out. But the left back position has got to be addressed as well. If Fabio goes on loan then I think another played has to come in. Evra ain't what he used to be, and the signs in recent months have led me to think that he'll never reach those heights again.

The difference between Evra and the likes of Phillip Lahm and Ashley Cole in the last year is astonishing. 2 years ago he was up there with them as the best LB in the world. Now he can't even start for his country. It can't be ignored.

Source on transfer and finances?
    greendom wrote: »
    Absolutely, unless he is with the team in Poland how could he know? Unless he prefaced the quote with "I've been told" or I missed the news that he joined up with the squad its BS.

Pointless debate tbh, but I'm just going to assume he's going on second hand info, Italy are going to do a job on England tomorrow anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Homer doesn't believe Evra has regressed at all, hence the opinion that Baines is not needed.

Baines is too old to be a realistic target, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Made me laugh :D

Mjqug.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Made me laugh :D

Very good.:pac:

it did take me few seconds to get it though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Maybe I'm wrong, but did Fabio play next to nothing last year?

So he's only being used for cover. You might say it would make him play better to have competition, but Evra wouldn't care about Fabio. He'd know he wouldn't be dropped.

Evans can cover left back. Evra is never injured, so unless something crazy happens Evra will play most games.

Also Fabio could be recalled from his loan if they put that into the agreement if Evra got injured.

Des wrote: »
    Homer doesn't believe Evra has regressed at all, hence the opinion that Baines is not needed.

Baines is too old to be a realistic target, imo.

Evra not regressed - You have got to be joking (not you, Des) - He has gone so far backwards, it's just not believable!
    Jimmy got it spot on with his post re: comparison with Philip Lahm and Ashley Cole.

As for Baines being too old, I dunno - he's only 27 - Ashley Cole is 31, and the best LB in the world.
    Now I know Cole is a vastly superior full back to Baines, but my point is that if we could get 4 or 5 good years out of Baines, I believe it would be worth considering, price dependant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

So I leave for one day and miss Kagawa signing . Did they give him a number yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

So I leave for one day and miss Kagawa signing . Did they give him a number yet ?

No and I wouldn't trust the numbers until they are confirmed after pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

22418473.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Was it Moussa Sissokho that was mentioned on here before as someone Utd should be interested in? Has only one year left on his contract too.

No more news on Asamoah it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Brilliant

Samich wrote: »
    Was it Moussa Sissokho that was mentioned on here before as someone Utd should be interested in? Has only one year left on his contract too.

Didn't Asamoah tweet something about having something to do when he returned to Europe. That was nothing to with us was it? Sounds like a cracking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Samich wrote: »

I mention Moussa a few times. Bloody beast.

Keno 92 wrote: »

An absolute must buy in Football Manager.

What would you do about Evra then? It's likely that Fabio will be gone for the season and Fryers isn't ready for the step up yet.

There is a clear problem at left back. It's not as glaring as the one in CM but it's still there. Evra has been shafted from the French team and it doesn't look like he's going to get his place back. He was woeful in the last two games he played.

With no realistic competition for his place he'll get even more complacent.

Centre midfield is the main problem area for the team and I'd like that to be sorted out. But the left back position has got to be addressed as well. If Fabio goes on loan then I think another played has to come in. Evra ain't what he used to be, and the signs in recent months have led me to think that he'll never reach those heights again.

The difference between Evra and the likes of Phillip Lahm and Ashley Cole in the last year is astonishing. 2 years ago he was up there with them as the best LB in the world. Now he can't even start for his country. It can't be ignored.

simple question...are you happy to sign baines, knowing that the likelyhood is that if we sign him, our spending is over?

i would be disappointed and shocked if even 1 our of 100 united fans would be happy with that.

i dont give a f*ck just how much ye think evra has regressed, LB is not a priority. we need 2 CM's, a striker (if berba goes) and even a proper right back before we sign a LB.

i fail to see how any well clued in united fan cant see that. slag off evra all you want, evra didnt cost us the league, our lack of top class options in CM did.

we sign baines, we are unlikely to solve that problem. if we sign baines and then we sign the CM we need then great, but can you honeslty expect us to spend in the region of 70million this year? i doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Modric cost me 50 million on manager mode! eek..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Sacramento wrote: »
    An absolute must buy in Football Manager.

We Moussa sign him then.....thank you.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement