Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

If it is 20million then Good Luck and Thank **** we did not go near him.

Say its less though.

SSN were reporting undisclosed which is thought to be potentially £15m. Could be a good few appearance incentives involved, in which case, could end up a decent deal for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

FutureGuy wrote: »
    On holidays and it's p!ssinf rain. Anything said about RVP on SSN this morning?

No, but some 14 year old with no mates said he would close his twitter account if RVP hasn't been announced by tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I don't agree with that though. Just because I would do it differently, doesn't mean that he is doing in wrong.

He possesses the right combination of boldness and restraint that you and I, not being world class managers, don't.

I can see why he would be reluctant to get rid of one or two legends of the game and splash a load of cash on a player that may or may not make an impact right away.

Giggs is not a good CM. He is ok to have around but not as one of the go to guys in cm like you are saying he is. Scholes is brilliant but fitness wise he isnt able for a full game against the best anymore. CM does need reinforcements and just because fergie is who he is doesnt me he cant make mistakes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    On holidays and it's p!ssinf rain. Anything said about RVP on SSN this morning?

No, but some 14 year old with no mates said he would close his twitter account if RVP hasn't been announced by tomorrow!

The pressures on Gill now!!!

I'm so glad Chelsea poached Obi Mikel off us! Have never, and still don't rate him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

After of course he announces he is a Liverpool/City fan and that he's been trolling all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Fenix wrote: »
    I'm so glad Chelsea poached Obi Mikel off us! Have never, and still don't rate him at all.

Anyone who thinks Carrick has a lack of goals from midfield, the commentator said Mikel hasn't scored in over 200 games for Chelsea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Would Vidic beat Kompany in a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

double GG wrote: »

vidic would beat everyone in a fight and maybe draw with some sort of cyborg vidic sent back from the future to save mankind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Vidic grew up in war torn Serbia.
    Kompany grew up in Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There wouldn't be a fight, Kompany would hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Of course. He would even beat Katie Taylor in a fight although that would be a lot closer

Vidic would beat Kompany, to get at a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Vidic doesn't ring the wrong number, you answer the wrong phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't agree that having 7 CMs restricts buying in other positions, but I definitely think it inhibits buying another CM.

You can't just keep buying players for the same position without letting anyone go. A squad needs structure. There are 7 players being paid right now who all could potentially contribute this season.

It's fanciful to say that Fletcher could contribute this season for starters. Not buying a CM because Fletcher might make a complete recovery this season would be a shocking decision.

If it was somehow the case that it was absolutely impossible to let any of the CMs go (say because of some hypothetical contract trap we were in with all of them), that still wouldn't mean that we couldn't buy another CM if the wage and transfer budgets allowed.

You talk about squad balance but CM is the weakest part of the squad other than left back. If we have some players that are useless to the team (Fletcher) or next to useless as CMs (Giggs) and for some reason we can't ship them out, then it doesn't help keep the squad balanced by not buying in better CMs.

CMs who can't play or aren't near good enough have zero effect on squad balance. They might as well be any position if they aren't going to help the team in CM.
    I also don't agree that Giggs was poor last season. I think he contributed pretty well, and while he's pretty far from what I would like to see in United's midfield, you can't ditch one of the players that is contributing in order to bring in an expensive unknown quantity.

We aren't going to agree about Giggs I think. But on the wider issue of saying you can't ditch a player who is contributing, I would say you can if you feel you have to. There's no need to buy in an expensive unknown. Buy in proven quality at good price and then it's not an issue if you choose to move on a player who has been contributing a bit but not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yup he is rubbish. One of the most limited footballers at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yup he is rubbish. One of the most limited footballers at this level.

I think he'd be a decent asset to have in the united squad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I think he'd be a decent asset to have in the united squad tbh.

He's a painfully average midfielder. We don't need another benchwarmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Rvp on bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Rvp on bench

Going to play the second half apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Rvp on bench

Have I missed something?? Injured or pondering a move to one of European greatest clubs maybe?? :D

The keeper would have to be seen as being careless or worse. Rooney could still be booked for simulation.
    Yep, went for the ball but didn't take enough care not to impede the player when he didn't get the ball.

Yeah Rooney could be booked for simulation even when the foul was also given if the laws were going to be enforced perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yep, went for the ball but didn't take enough care not to impede the player when he didn't get the ball.

Yeah Rooney could be booked for simulation even when the foul was also given if the laws were going to be enforced perfectly.

Yea but he would have to have been careless, legislateing for it after the fact means that everytime a keeper goes to ground they are impeding the player to a certain extent, it would have to be a certain threshold or elsethe consistent application would lead to frees for absolutely nothing

Yea but he would have to have been careless, legislateing for it after the fact means that everytime a keeper goes to ground they are impeding the player to a certain extent, it would have to be a certain threshold or elsethe consistent application would lead to frees for absolutely nothing

But you are allowed to impede the opposition player if you win the ball, as long as you're not being dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Can't help but think that RVP is our last transfer target for this window. The closer the close of the window comes the less likely it looks that United will sign a CM or even a LB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

KH25 wrote: »
    Can't help but think that RVP is our last transfer target for this window. The closer the close of the window comes the less likely it looks that United will sign a CM or even a LB.

No value in the market..........;)

KH25 wrote: »

I'm holding out that we might get Baines, Fergie being on "other club business" could hopefully mean he is tying up a few things rather than a striker whom we don't really need. In fact it would cause issues for Chicharito and Welbeck if we signed RVP. Though maybe with the right rotation it could work.....

I've given up on a midfielder being signed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Sacramento wrote: »
    I'm holding out that we might get Baines, Fergie being on "other club business" could hopefully mean he is tying up a few things rather than a striker whom we don't really need. In fact it would cause issues for Chicharito and Welbeck if we signed RVP. Though maybe with the right rotation it could work.....

I've given up on a midfielder being signed though.

Can't see us signing Baines now tbh. With Rodwell going to City Everton really don't need the money and won't lower their asking price which Fergie seemed reluctant to match.

shrewdness wrote: »
    Can't see us signing Baines now tbh. With Rodwell going to City Everton really don't need the money and won't lower their asking price which Fergie seemed reluctant to match.

Could be the case but I suppose we'll find out for sure in time. LB is such a weakness though, Evra literally saunters back when the opposing team pours down our left side.

Preparing a SWOT analysis here and have decided to choose United. Should be fun

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Preparing a SWOT analysis here and have decided to choose United. Should be fun

Fergie
    Midfield
    Sahin
    City

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Fergie
    Midfield
    Sahin
    City

Jobs a good un ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Id absolutely love to see RVP at United but Id much rather a midfielder and a left back. Left back is at least as big a concern as midfield for me. Evra's become much too lax when defending and he needs some definite competition for the position. Evans may be decent cover but he's a CB and Id rather see him play there where he's at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

That twitter account is hilarious, claiming now he was there when RVP signed.

Anyways. 1 week and 1 day, hate playing Everton, especially at their place. Thank god its nearly back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That twitter account is hilarious, claiming now he was there when RVP signed.

Anyways. 1 week and 1 day, hate playing Everton, especially at their place. Thank god its nearly back.

Same but i'm glad it's early in the season. Also think we'll try and sign Baines this week. We're too light at LB and I haven't heard us linked to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yann M'Villa's agent claiming there has been an offer from an English club for him.

Hmmmm I wonder?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7985351/Rennes-claim-M-Vila-bid

Yann M'Villa's agent claiming there has been an offer from an English club for him.

Hmmmm I wonder?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7985351/Rennes-claim-M-Vila-bid

Amiable on the Liverpool thread was saying that he thinks M'Vila is going to Spurs for €12m. Amiable was relaying that from some journalist he rates. Sorry, can't remember name of journo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Amiable on the Liverpool thread was saying that he thinks M'Vila is going to Spurs for €12m. Amiable was relaying that from some journalist he rates. Sorry, can't remember name of journo.

Makes sense. I know Arsenal ruled themselves out of the running last month. If it comes to light that its not UTD I will be convinced Fergie doesn't see the need for a defensive midfeilder to come into the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Duncan Castles I think it was .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Sandro
    M'Vila

Sigurdsson

That's class. We could have done with any one of them. Not great to lose out on the three of them. Surprised we didn't have more of a bite at Sigurdsson, but maybe between Rodgers having the inside track to begin with and then the pull of London along with the prospect of being Spurs' main man creatively holed us before we began.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sandro
    M'Vila

Sigurdsson

That's class. We could have done with any one of them. Not great to lose out on the three of them. Surprised we didn't have more of a bite at Sigurdsson, but maybe between Rodgers having the inside track to begin with and then the pull of London along with the prospect of being Spurs' main man creatively holed us before we began.

Sure if Siggy is up to the job we can just give them 25 in 3 years,leave him develop at Spurs properly........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sandro
    M'Vila

Sigurdsson

He won't be that. Not for the next while anyway. Van Der Vaart plays that role. I doubt Sigurdsson will begin the season as a starter.

Would have really liked him at United but I suppose we have Nick Powell who seemingly plays a similar role and can play in CM as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sandro
    M'Vila

Sigurdsson

M'Vila strikes me as quite lazy.
    No chance Fergie could ever get Sandro for a reasonable fee from Levy.
    Kagawa is perfect for the role, so no need for Sigurdsson.

Sandro would have been a very nice player to have though!

Van der Vaart might be off. Even if he isn't, he won't stay fit for the season.

Sandro's the one Earthrin. I really like him as a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

All three aren't good enough. We have a huge upgrade on Sigurdsson, M'Vila is a waste of space and Sandro, well, I like Sandro but I don't think he's what we need because we can't fit a CM into our system atm.

We're turning our nose up at Sigurdsson now? I myself have question marks about M'Vila, about his temperment, but he's quite young yet, all three are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I really really hope Fergie's absence isn't health related.

Not sure if someone responded to this.

SAF had a serious bout of fatigue earlier in July. Club doctor told him hes travelling too much, and that he can't fly as frequently as he used to.

So assuming these recent matches are away abroad, he most likely isn't travelling due to health.

He is not sick, just at this age he cannot be flying that regularly.

PHB wrote: »
    Lads, can we please not just post whatever new random posters on twitter is. It's literally as useful as my mate in the pub said.

There's no need to update post-by-post what he's saying, people can use twitter if they want. Until the transfer window, there will be 20 new random twitter accounts claiming to be somebody saying that the deal is going to be done.

Always seems to be such negativity with Twitter.

If you know the accounts to be looking at, and which ones to ignore, you can get some pretty accurate transfer information first, from source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

TheDoc wrote: »
    Always seems to be such negativity with Twitter.

If you know the accounts to be looking at, and which ones to ignore, you can get some pretty accurate transfer information first, from source.
    I like the idea of Twitter but it is full of nonsense. Even when something breaks on there, nobody really believes it until it is reported by reputable news sources.

• Advertisement

I like the idea of Twitter but it is full of nonsense. Even when something breaks on there, nobody really believes it until it is reported by reputable news sources.

The problem being that all "reputable" news sources, now pull alot of information from Twitter, or their own staff post on Twitter themselves.....

Do a search for "reputable football twitter accounts" and if you are interested be able to grab all the good accounts that are usually spot on.

I have not bought a paper for transfer natter in about 2 years, and I won't ever buy one again. Especially considering alot of the rags when they mention "source" are referring to a number of the twitter accounts you will find during you search.

If you put the time into weeding out the **** and following the good accounts, you will get all the accurate stuff before anywhere else.

Kinda cringy the way a lot of people on here relate to Twitter, especially since they are acting like the type of people that thought it was invented last year. Granted most people use it for simply following "celebs", I've been using Twitter extensively for the last 5 years and it is an incredibly powerful tool to gather information about topics/subjects that you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement