Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

RVD420 wrote: »
    That was funny 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ive seen Gareth Bale and numerous others wearing this and have wondered what it was for also

It is normal for players to wear heart monitors and tracking devices during pre season. It is done every year, not sure why its more in the spotlight last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The most interesting thing about that Mike Phelan quote was this

“We look a team that can go forward and score goals, but we also look as though we can concede as well, and that’s not good.”

Remember, RVP was top scorer but Arsenal ultimately won nothing.
    And Rooney and Utd werent far behind scoring goals, so maybe its your defence or midfield that is the real problem?

It was a margin of 4 more goals conceded and 4 less goals scored that cost you

PLD W D L GF GA GD Pts
    1 Manchester City (C) 38 28 5 5 93 29 +64 89
    2 Manchester United 38 28 5 5 89 33 +56 89
    3 Arsenal 38 21 7 10 74 49 +25 70

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

RVD420 wrote: »

So funny. I thought it was real until I clicked the link and saw it was actually not true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

In fairness, nobody could have expected us to be solid defensively against Hannover so I wouldn't put much stock in Phelan's quotes. We had Michael Carrick at CB, a youth playing at right back and Kagawa & Cleverley as the two central midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The most interesting thing about that Mike Phelan quote was this

“We look a team that can go forward and score goals, but we also look as though we can concede as well, and that’s not good.”

Remember, RVP was top scorer but Arsenal ultimately won nothing.
    And Rooney and Utd werent far behind scoring goals, so maybe its your defence or midfield that is the real problem?

It was a margin of 4 more goals conceded and 4 less goals scored that cost you

PLD W D L GF GA GD Pts
    1 Manchester City (C) 38 28 5 5 93 29 +64 89
    2 Manchester United 38 28 5 5 89 33 +56 89
    3 Arsenal 38 21 7 10 74 49 +25 70

If you read this thread as often as it seems, you'll be aware 99% of us accept we need a midfielder, and that a few think RVP will be a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How reliable would ye say Eurosport are regarding Transfers?

Sid Lowe posted on Twitter that Llorente is leaving Athetic.

For anyone not familiar, Sid Lowe is a Madrid based reporter for The Guardian and usually doesn't post random speculation.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe
    So, it's confirmed: Fernando Llorente will not renew his Athletic contract. Huge pity.

Interesting that nothing else is popping up anywhere, although seemingly Juventus are the main interested party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How reliable would ye say Eurosport are regarding Transfers?

How come? what have they said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

€30m bid for Lewandowski, 5 year contract. :rolleyes:

markc1184 wrote: »

Seemingly we have some pre-contractual agreement to approach him next year? Pretty sure I read that as a sealed deal, but nothing more then a fee is agreed and we can go straight to negotiations next year.

Dont remember any specific figures though

Thatll scare arsenal into getting rvp moving

Am i the only one that doesn't really rate him too highly?

only remember watching him a few times . If he wasnt linked to united i wouldnt have niticed he was even playing . Could have just been off games for him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

cloptrop wrote: »

Thatll scare arsenal into getting rvp moving
    Or convince them to sit tight another RVP option will close increasing the likelihood of him staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Anyone think If RVP stays at arsenal we'll wait it out til next summer and get him on a free? or if he stays will he sign a new contract?

Anyone think If RVP stays at arsenal we'll wait it out til next summer and get him on a free? or if he stays will he sign a new contract?

I'm fairly sure he won't sign another contract and Arsenal are just trying to get as much as possible for him now by saying they might keep him etc (they did the same with Nasri last year) he'll end up leaving this window i reckon. The board won't want to risk losing him for nothing when they can get 15 or 20 million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I'm fairly sure he won't sign another contract and Arsenal are just trying to get as much as possible for him now by saying they might keep him etc (they did the same with Nasri last year) he'll end up leaving this window i reckon. The board won't want to risk losing him for nothing when they can get 15 or 20 million for him.

Agreed, so is it really just Wenger that doesn't want this transfer to happen? In his position I think it's understandable, but surely he's best off selling and spending the rest of the summer seeking a replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Agreed, so is it really just Wenger that doesn't want this transfer to happen? In his position I think it's understandable, but surely he's best off selling and spending the rest of the summer seeking a replacement?

According to the gutter press journos on Sunday Supplement, it would be in Arsenal's best interest not to sell. RVP is 29 and has one year left on his contract. They can't expect much more than 15m for him. If RVP stays and Arsenal have a good season, they'll be able to cover the lost 15m in prize money. Makes sense to me.

Unless they can convince Utd to pay 20m+.

• Advertisement

According to the gutter press journos on Sunday Supplement, it would be in Arsenal's best interest not to sell. RVP is 29 and has one year left on his contract. They can't expect much more than 15m for him. If RVP stays and Arsenal have a good season, they'll be able to cover the lost 15m in prize money. Makes sense to me.

Unless they can convince Utd to pay 20m+.

Sorry, did you just mention Arsenal and "prize money" in the same sentence? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

We're concerned about paying £20m (plus wages) to have an injury prone 29 year old for 3 years.

Arsenal are looking at a cost of £20m (plus wages) to have an injury prone 29 year old for 1 year.

Selling him is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Ya, well, finishing further up the table. If they do have a good season, signings do well etc, maybe he could be convinved to sign a new deal. Worth a try. I don't think he'll stay. Even if Arsenal start pumping in millions next season, it'll still take a huge investment to overtake Chelsea (new signings), Man City and Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Our usual position of finishing in the top 4 and reaching the last 16 of the Champions League is worth more than we would get for RVP.

I think Arsene is generally just sick of his best players wanting to leave and is trying to play hardball. They already have a couple of new strikers that could be really good for them (could!!)

If we get RVP, i'll be delighted, if not, then i'm still happy with our options up front. I just wish someone would teach Hernandez how not to be offside all the time....

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    We're concerned about paying £20m (plus wages) to have an injury prone 29 year old for 3 years.

Arsenal are looking at a cost of £20m (plus wages) to have an injury prone 29 year old for 1 year.

The plus wages will be a lot lower for Arsenal as he will be expecting to be on Rooney type pay if he goes to OT. And what is the cost of strengthening an opponent while weakening our own position.

You would indeed need to have no brain if you thought selling him was a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Des wrote: »
    might make him consider his international future though, he should tell them to piss off.

He should play for Portugal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lewandowski is half man, half god. Wont have a bad word said about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

To be honest even with RVP's quality if Arsenal get more than £20m for him at this stage I can't help but feel it's just too much considering they've not got the best bargaining position.
    • He's 29
    • He's 1 year from contract expiry
    • He's injury prone
    • He's publicly stated he doesn't want a new contract at this time
    • Other competing clubs have seemingly cooled their interest
    What they have got in their corner however is a magnificent striker that in anyway normal circumstances is worth far more than £20m, especially after last seasons showing. And while they might not want to sell him to a direct competitor, they know we want his signature badly.

I'm in the camp that Van Persie would, of course, be an addition to United's or anyone's squad but only if gotten at the right price. Paying over the odds for a striker we don't really need isn't the best of business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

greendom wrote: »

The plus wages will be a lot lower for Arsenal as he will be expecting to be on Rooney type pay if he goes to OT. And what is the cost of strengthening an opponent while weakening our own position.

You would indeed need to have no brain if you thought selling him was a good idea.

Let's assume that RVP's currently on £5m a year.

Should Arsenal incur a cost of £25m to have an injury prone 29 year old for one season?

And what about the players that Wenger can buy with the RVP cash (given his proven eye for talent)?

And what about the potential disruption of having a disgruntled player on your hands and the distraction of his pre-contract negotiations in January?

Keeping him makes very little sense to me.

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    He should play for Portugal!!!

That's what I instantly thought too but I think he's locked into Brazil now isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Schism wrote: »
    To be honest even with RVP's quality if Arsenal get more than £20m for him at this stage I can't help but feel it's just too much considering they've not got the best bargaining position.
    • He's 29
    • He's injury prone
    What they have got in their corner however is a magnificent striker that in anyway normal circumstances is worth far more than £20m, especially after last seasons showing. And while they might not want to sell him to a direct competitor, they know we want his signature badly.

I'm in the camp that Van Persie would, of course, be an addition to United's or anyone's squad but only if gotten at the right price. Paying over the odds for a striker we don't really need isn't the best of business.

United should just pull out of the deal altogether and he can stay there for another year. It's likely the board would then try to flog him as quick as possible under Wenger's nose.

Love how the Arsenal fans are saying that all the power is on their side. It's always with the player in this situation.

Schism wrote: »
    • He's 29
    • He's injury prone

When you put it like that, he almost sounds like Owen! :eek:

Anyone thinking arsenal will hold out are deluded. They have a policy of buying cheap players and selling them on later. They have a very good manager at doing this. Once they get champions league football every year they dont care who plays for them .
    All thats going on at the minute is posturing for price reasons .

i think the only thing annoying them is he didnt have longer on his contract so theyd have more bargaining power.

Let's assume that RVP's currently on £5m a year.

Should Arsenal incur a cost of £25m to have an injury prone 29 year old for one season?

And what about the players that Wenger can buy with the RVP cash (given his proven eye for talent)?

And what about the potential disruption of having a disgruntled player on your hands and the distraction of his pre-contract negotiations in January?

Keeping him makes very little sense to me.

If it wasn't United doing the buying (or any Premier League rival to be honest) I could live with him moving on. We've done enough of that for now. I really hope the club looks at the whole picture here.

It's bad to be thought of as a selling club, as a selling club that doesn't mind passing our best talent on to clubs we are in direct competition with.

It would be a real shot in the arm for Arsenal supporters to hear that we are not selling RVP to a club in the EPL and that we are doing all we can to convince him to sign a new contract.

And yes there may be a little disruption but I think we have strenghtened the team enough to get over that. (Just like City managed last season)

When you put it like that, he almost sounds like Owen! :eek:

Yeah a bit I guess, except Owen was free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If RVP stays it mean Podolski will be shunted out on the left, which is a waste and negates the point of buying him. He hasnt been much use on the left for a few years now. Giroud could take to the league like a duck to water or he could be a flop, that is the strengthening Arsenal have done so far yes? (up front obviously) wouldnt inspire me with much confidence honestly.

If he goes then another signing would be required who the manager could be sure of, i.e someone with a proven premier league pedigree, doesnt have to be a superstar, just tried and tested in case the lads dont click.

For that reason if arsenal are to sell they should want to get it done asap, if not then just firmly say no, he is not for sale, he can play out his contract and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

For a club who's transfer policy is largely based on financial sense and "value", this transfer makes no sense.

It makes even less sense considering the fact that when we play Kagawa we will usually play only one striker - Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez.

I just cannot see why this avenue is being pursued, potentially at the expense of other signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this the 12/13 season thread so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this the 12/13 season thread so?
    for about 309 posts or so, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

can't wait for the season to start and the window to close, so fed up with the day in day out bullsh*t regarding possible tranfers. hoping to get over for the fulham game and alot more this season :)

Would it be worth bidding 20 million on Llorente?

Would it be worth bidding 20 million on Llorente?

Great player who brings something different, but not sure he's necessary. I'd rather him to rvp mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Anybody on here know how to subscribe to the United text alerts service with vodafone?
    I had them for years but unsubscribe while back while i was abroad, now can't seem to get them back.

Llotente's buy out clause is £28.2 million, and the club want it to be reached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'm a big fan of him, but fcuk that so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

With him reportedly not wanting a new contract you can take some of that off, I do believe however that united don't want to go down the route of ala target man, could just be me thinking that tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

£20million bid for RVP confirmed by Miguel Delaney.

£20million bid for RVP confirmed by Miguel Delaney.

Has he been accurate with other transfers in the past?

Has he been accurate with other transfers in the past?

Very good journalist in my experience.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement