Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Danny Welbeck has apparently agreed a new deal.
    Danny Welbeck will sign a five-year contract worth £75,000 a week at Manchester United.

His new contract, to be signed imminently, is packed with incentives based on future performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Great news for Danny.

He is so young, and if he adds that killer instinct in front of goal to his game (like I think he will) he could go on to be a superstar. A really clever footballer, while RVP might take a big chunk of his minutes on the pitch, having him to learn from on the training ground could actually help his game a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheTownie wrote: »

Nani next hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Fair play to him. I really do rate the lad but he is doing well for himself wage wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

And they said this last summer

splash_SANCHESTER_1327756a.jpg

Yeah, The Sun is basically Goal.com is print form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Highest rated by who? The deaf dumb and blind association?

Anderson had 4-5 slightly above average performances at the start of last season, no more than that.

Anderson performed better than Cleverley in those 4 or 5 games and people are raving about Cleverley over the same sample of games. Also i suggest you think back his performances where better than above average. I really think if Anderson gets an injury free season he will be a big player for us.

Nani next hopefully!

I really think keeping Nani is far important than anything else now. He seems to love the club and is about to enter his prime. He is one of our few match winners and its essential we keep him. The prospect of him, Valencia and Kagawa going forward is exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

If true, the ramifications of this are infinitely more beneficial than any potential RVP signing IMO.

No doubt that Danny will be anything other than one of the best strikers in the world in the coming years.

• Advertisement

If true, the ramifications of this are infinitely more beneficial than any potential RVP signing IMO.

No doubt that Danny will be anything other than one of the best strikers in the world in the coming years.

I really think Wellbeck needs to improve his finishing to become one of the best strikers in the world. He has alot of brilliant attributes. Hernandez is an excellent finisher but lacks in other aread of his game. Probably said before but if we could clone Wellbeck and Hernandez into one then what a player that would be. If Wellbeck can improve his finishing we have a serious player on our hands.

On the phone so sorry about lack of link,

Here's the quote from reliable Twitter source:

"... Elsewhere, Manchester United put in straight £20m (no Welbeck) for RVP and are prepared to walk away if rejected. "

-- Miguel Delaney (@MiguelDelaney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Arsenal would be silly not to take £20m and Utd would be silly to offer more.

Pity about how Berba's spell with us turned out, I'm a huge fan of his.
    I worry that this RVP deal will spell the end for Chico because, again, I'm a huge fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just home after the Hannover game and what a cracker it was. We met a load of Slovenian United fans who had road tripped down and lets just say it was a messy day :D Great fun.

One of them even put up a video of us before the game outside the stadium. If you skip to the last 40 seconds or so John O Shea goes marching gets sung and you can see a few of us joining in :D

My first but hopefully not last game after so much fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I doubt that, he's good alright but I can see him moving in the next 2 years. Like said before he isnt a great finisher at all and the best strikers in the world are judged by the goals they score and Danny just isn't prolific enough but look I hope I'm wrong as he's a Manchester lad and homegrown. Tbh though I don't think he'll ever be one of the best in the world.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Arsenal would be silly not to take £20m and Utd would be silly to offer more.

Pity about how Berba's spell with us turned out, I'm a huge fan of his.
    I worry that this RVP deal will spell the end for Chico because, again, I'm a huge fan.

I think Ferguson sees Chico as an impact sub, like Ole Gunnar. He lacks the link up/passing ability of the likes of Rooney, Welbeck & Berba but has that great poaching instinct that isn't so prominent in the others. He's less versatile than them too.

RVP has it all, similar in many ways but not all to Rooney. I'm sure it's been said before but with Fergie not seeing Berba as part of the team going forward we'll have 4 great strikers like we did in 99.

Rooney will have much of the burden of carrying the front line lifted off him with the arrival of Kagawa. Also with the added competition of RVP I think we can get more out of him.

Great for Welbeck and Chico to learn from another world class striker too, RVP is a true game changer and could be a huge signing for us regardless of the other areas that need to be strengthened. I hope Arsenal accept the bid and RVP fires his agent. £20m should be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

A club like Tottenham must whince at the attacking options Utd and City have.
    And we could do with a couple of their CM's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

think someone said a few pages back that Alonso is stalling on a deal for Real. if i were fergie id get in and get in quick, sniff around and see is there any truth to it. midfield problem solved for a few years. hes 30 after all, prob get 3 years outta him whike waitin for younger players to develop. maybe 20-25 million well worth the money!!!

Carrick---Alonso
    Val
    Rooney
    nani
    RVP----

kagawa cleverley
    young ando
    chico scholes
    wellbeck giggs
    berba (sold)

wouldnt be a bad side there lads and wit the bench options to mix it up for the weaker games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Carrick and Alonso together would lack dynamism. It'd be very strong protecting the defence and retaining possession, but we'd have no real push coming from deeper. Ideally it'd be one of them with Cleverley/Anderson.

It'll be Carrick+Cleverley+Kagawa as the triangle of doom this season in the big games possibly. Doom for us or our opponents remains to be seen :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

if ando ever got his act together then him and alonso in the middle wit the rest of my formation would prob be that much better goin forward. ando at the start of last season so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sacramento wrote: »
    RVP has it all, similar in many ways but not all to Rooney. I'm sure it's been said before but with Fergie not seeing Berba as part of the team going forward we'll have 4 great strikers like we did in 99.

It's been said a lot already. But everybody who is saying it don't seem to be really thinking it through. Kagawa's best position is central behind the centre forward and he is world class there. So with Rooney, Kagawa, Welbeck and Chicharito we already have the four quality strikers we need.
    Rooney will have much of the burden of carrying the front line lifted off him with the arrival of Kagawa. Also with the added competition of RVP I think we can get more out of him.

That is very unfair on Rooney. He played his balls off last year and dragged the team through loads of games. He doesn't need competition from his team mates to motivate him.
    Great for Welbeck and Chico to learn from another world class striker too, RVP is a true game changer and could be a huge signing for us regardless of the other areas that need to be strengthened. I hope Arsenal accept the bid and RVP fires his agent. £20m should be good enough.

Whatever tiny advantage they get from having RVP training with them will be far outweighed by the harm to their development caused by getting less games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Rooney had more poor games than good last year. The goals were there, where was everything else? His pass selection was utterly brutal last season to a really worrying degree. Simple five and ten yard passes going astray. I don't trust him off the front anymore, he's too erratic in his general play to regulate the attacking tempo in the manner and to the effect that he should when he's played in that position, a luxury one. Another reason not to buy Van Persie. Rooney's best as a number nine, stick him up near the box and let him bang in the goals with a little license to roam. But as far as I'm concerned he doesn't have untrammeled license anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney had more poor games than good last year.
    My hoop.

God people talk some amount of shíte about Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Guy on Twitter who has been calling accurately the deals this summer has posted. He is a French football journalist that seemingly has some connections at Arsenal.
    RVP deal with MUFC looks done, fee rising to €28m. 4 year deal. Expecting it announced today

There was then a follow up tweet from another foreign Journalist
    Mickael knows his stuff Arsenal stuff, has called all the Arsenal transfer activity correct so far this summer and last. Was also ahead with the Hazard deal.

Not feeling it is major fluff, looking into this guy more, he broke stories this summer and last in France ahead of anywhere else confirming deals with some specifics that make it more then good guessing

Now I'm starting to believe

*Edit*
    Mickael Martin-Haim is his name if you want to check him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

£28 million is madness, whatever way it is structured, especially for a player we don't actually need.

Just think what we could add to our midfield for that kind of money. :(

WoW

Was reading that this morning, that is very much an excessive salary in my view.

While there is obviously signs he can mature into a good striker, I am not on the bandwagon yet of labelling him " potentially world class" and all that bollox.

Decent vision and link up already, but leaves ALOT to be desired with his finishing and goal scoring position play.

Like Clev I'm preferring to see a consistent second outing, well with Clev I just want to see one season outing, I was reserving this season to make a call on Welbeck, and should RVP arrive, he is going to have to step up his game big time to get a sniff.

If RVP does arrive I would assume

1. Rooney
    2. RVP
    3. Chico
    4. Welbeck

Clearly we must have money to splash,......

adox wrote: »
    £28 million is madness, whatever way it is structured, especially for a player we don't actually need.

Just think what we could add to our midfield for that kind of money. :(

Sorry need to edit that as I was typing from phone.

That was €28 which equates to £22 and the deal is structured in a way that add ons are paid based on appearances. Seemingly United want some protection incase of injury.

The immediate outlay looks to be between £15-£18. So if the above is accurate, if we get a good few productive seasons out of him, well worth it.

Also seems to be a few rumblings about Midfielders and MUFC. Alot of people noticed the IPO documentation that outlined our spend on transfers this summer and people working out the maths feel that if RVP is signed for max £25m( that is highest possible fee assumed) United still have roughly £18-£20m to spend as outlined in the IPO docs.

There is alot of stuff being thrown about but I think its lazy speculation based of the fact it looks like we still have some money to splash, even if RVP comes along, so I won't bother quoting or referencing as to be fair there isn't alot of them I'd normally consider. But two on my list did rumble last night
    No benefit for SAF holding funds, will be re injected elsewhere in club after window. The budget assigned was money marked off as spent.
    Everyone focusing on RVP, but SAF has not being involved in that deal for a good few days. Murmurs of him working on another deal, can't get any confirmed names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

TheDoc wrote: »
    If RVP does arrive I would assume

1. Rooney
    2. RVP
    3. Chico
    4. Welbeck

Clearly we must have money to splash,......

At the moment, and until Chico learns about offside, Welbeck is ahead of him.

Having Chico ahead of Welbeck is sentimental bullshít, in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

TheDoc wrote: »
    ...... That was €28 which equates to £22 and the deal is structured in a way that add ons are paid based on appearances. Seemingly United want some protection incase of injury.

Jaysus, i'll pay for him if it's gonna be between £22 and £28. ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Another RVP rumour, this guy apparenly has links to a number of the United players and has called deals correctly in the past:

https://twitter.com/DAVID_JOHNSON7

"David Johnson‏@DAVID_JOHNSON7
    RVP be a utd player by this time 2mz #quoted"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TBH, right now I'd have Macheda and Bebe ahead of Chico.

• Advertisement

Delboy5 wrote: »
    2mz

should be immediately unfollowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Des wrote: »
    At the moment, and until Chico learns about offside, Welbeck is ahead of him.

Having Chico ahead of Welbeck is sentimental bullshít, in my view.

Anyone think that Hernandez got a little bit ahead of himself? Got a bit cocky in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone think that Hernandez got a little bit ahead of himself? Got a bit cocky in my opinion.
    No

no he didn't, he just had an explosive first season playing on the shoulder of the defenders. He's quick and it took them by surprise - the next season their coaches just told them to take an extra step out when he was playing.

It's not exactly hard to defend against once you recognise it, but he hasn't been able to change his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

but he hasn't been able to change his game

Will he leave OT then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

On this day in 2009, Carlos Tevez made the switch to the blue side of Manchester :/

Will he leave OT then?

I don't know.

the signing of Kagawa probably signals a certain change in thinking by the manager, on formation and deployment of players, where we may see one striker playing ahead of three on a more consistent and obvious basis.

In my view, Chico cannot play that role effectively, as it will mean he has to be extremely disciplined with staying onside. Already last season, and in the CL Final the season before, he was the cause of the breakdown of many, many attacks by being offside.

I;ve highlighted it here before, when Rooney was playing deep behind Hernandez. Rooney gets possession about halfway between the halfway line and the goal - looks up to move the ball on quickly, only to see Chico loitering offside. Rooney can't pass the ball to him, so has to check himself and spot a different pass, usually into the midfield, or back to Evra or a centre half, or sometimes a crossfield ball to Valencia, or get tackeld and lose possession completely - it doesn't really matter. What matters is the move is slowed down, and the defending team has time to move into position to defend against the second choice pass.

Earlier in Chico's first season, when Chico was awesome, that wasn't happening because defenders didn't cop to the fact that they needed to step out just one extra yard to nullify him.

It's not just the number of times he's flagged for offside that is worrisome, it's the number of times moves falter or breakdown completely because he hasn't timed his run properly, or at all, and just wanders into the offside position, seemingly unaware that he's doing it.

It's highly frustrating to watch, game after game, and not see him even attempt to adjust it.

If he doesn't shape up this season on that front, then yeah, he'll probably be moved on - especially if he's competing against rooney, RVP and Welbeck - and potentially younger players - for the position of "centre forward" ahead of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Will he leave OT then?

It's a big season for him, IMO. If he does well, ups his game (and learns how offside works) then I think he'll be a great success. I do think there was an element last season of defenders recognizing how to play him, the question this season is if he can adapt to that and find goalscoring form. It'd definitely too early for him to move on this summer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hernandez first season was very good playing on the shoulder of the defenders and he rarely involved in the build up play, his off the ball runs made space for Rooney.

Tbf to him in his second season he never got run in because of injuries and Welbeck but the most annoying thing as he tried to drop deep few times to try to involve in the build up play and I think it's fair to say that he was poor at it.

He is very good as impact sub and I think that's how he will be used this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Really looking forward to another season my 34 year of following Utd. Used to buy up every paper i could to follow the gossip but haven't been arsed since i came on this thread. You've saved me a fortune. Hopefully we'll sign another player or 2 before close of window. It always brings a freshness to the squad. Haven't seen a minute of Kagawa but going by reports he's an excellent buy. Is Fletcher back in training yet does anyone know

Is Fletcher back in training yet does anyone know

he was training with Scotland, light training, but don't hold out any hope of him making any kind of return.

he was training with Scotland, light training, but don't hold out any hope of him making any kind of return.

Think Phelan said he is back doing a few days a week at Carrington as well. Seemingly he is able to put in decent shifts but they are being, obviously, overly precautious with him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i have to laugh at the people who dont want RVP. for the first time in years, a genuine world class player is on our radar and people still are not happy. a man who can potentially score 25+ goals a year...i just dont get it, of course we need midfield first, but fergie is the man in charge and he feels CM is ok. as i said yesterday, i would rather sign RVP than nobody but even that is crazy as he is world class. our world class players are not exactly too evident are they?

if the rvp deal falls through, we are then up against it to sign anybody else, as well, united seem to be incapable of closing deals at this stage. our first 11 will lose us a league as it stands, like it did when push came to shove last year. its our squad that got us to second, yet everything else apart from that was a disaster last year.

if we dont improve our squad before the window shuts, its going to be another long and disappointing season as we just dont have the quality to improve on last year IMO. Vidic being back is one thing, it may stop us conceeding a few goals, however he wont improve the standard of football we play, with my only hope for that being Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

No

He usually got ahead of the last defender.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good man homer.

I wouldn't say I laugh at people who don't want RVP signed but I do find it strange that anyone would prefer not to sign him.

I agree regarding midfield, the manager doesn't see the need to improve on it ahead of the attack.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the potential of the side. Kagawa and Vidic are major improvements for the first 11 on what we saw finish the season. No part of the side has deteriorated and the overall squad is in a better place than when last season finished so I would be more hopeful.

But then again it is just personal opinions and I always go down the optimistic route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yeah . And them signing rvp may be that little push a top quality cm may need to want to come and play here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

lordgoat wrote: »
    lol.

Yep maybe this season it'll be sixth time lucky for him and he'll actually turn up for most of the games he plays in.

If he does, i'll say fair play but up until now he's flattered to deceive imo.

are you serious? he turned up in EVERY game he played in when fit at the start of the season, he was then injured rushed back for europe not 100% and got injured again, to say he didn't show up when he was fit and to call him consistently **** is just hilarious.

Anderson in his 2nd season for united without injury had a very good season and broke into the brazil team, when he's injury free he's a good player.

Anyone can see this, but calling him **** because he's out of the team with injuries is just.....well......IDIOTIC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Sky Sports News are gas...

Headline is "Vincent Kompany urges Robin Van Persie to join Manchester City".

Cut to interview where Kompany says that "Van Persie's a top player who would improve any squad". Utterly bland common sense statement spun into a non story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

cloptrop wrote: »
    Yeah . And them signing rvp may be that little push a top quality cm may need to want to come and play here.

That is a good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I agree that Hernandez is behind Welbeck in the pecking order but I don't agree that defenders have found him out and that it became easy to defend against him. This is lazy punditry.

For a start, most of his goals come from avenues other than beating the offside trap. He's usually in the right place at the right time to score a tap-in or gets in front of the defender to power in a header or get a flick-on from a cross. His movement and ability to get away from players is what his game is based on, not playing on the shoulder.

His big problem last year was that his season was stop-start. He was in and out with injuries at the beginning and when he finally came back, Welbeck had established himself. I believe that with significant game-time, he would have pushed on from the first season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement