Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

think someone said a few pages back that Alonso is stalling on a deal for Real. if i were fergie id get in and get in quick, sniff around and see is there any truth to it. midfield problem solved for a few years. hes 30 after all, prob get 3 years outta him whike waitin for younger players to develop. maybe 20-25 million well worth the money!!!

Carrick---Alonso
    Val
    Rooney
    nani
    RVP----

kagawa cleverley
    young ando
    chico scholes
    wellbeck giggs
    berba (sold)

wouldnt be a bad side there lads and wit the bench options to mix it up for the weaker games

Given that he's Madrid's second most important player after Ronaldo, has 2 years left on his current contract and they're desperate to win the CL this year, there's not a chance of him moving on this summer. Maybe if he's still in this position next summer and looking for one final bumper contract to see him through to retirement, he could move but it definitely won't be happening this summer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

i have to laugh at the people who dont want RVP. for the first time in years, a genuine world class player is on our radar and people still are not happy. a man who can potentially score 25+ goals a year...i just dont get it, of course we need midfield first, but fergie is the man in charge and he feels CM is ok. as i said yesterday, i would rather sign RVP than nobody but even that is crazy as he is world class. our world class players are not exactly too evident are they?

if the rvp deal falls through, we are then up against it to sign anybody else, as well, united seem to be incapable of closing deals at this stage. our first 11 will lose us a league as it stands, like it did when push came to shove last year. its our squad that got us to second, yet everything else apart from that was a disaster last year.

if we dont improve our squad before the window shuts, its going to be another long and disappointing season as we just dont have the quality to improve on last year IMO. Vidic being back is one thing, it may stop us conceeding a few goals, however he wont improve the standard of football we play, with my only hope for that being Kagawa.

But will he improve the first 11 assuming kagawa is to play behind rooney? Personally i can't see how he fits in unless kagawa drops back to cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I just wish yaya decided united were the better team to play for and go on strike until he was allowed come here.
    If we had someone like him id be happy if we didnt buy anyone else for the next couple of years. Its a pity theres not many like him anymore. I thought pogba could have ended up like that but i think it was just wishful thinking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

But will he improve the first 11 assuming kagawa is to play behind rooney? Personally i can't see how he fits in unless kagawa drops back to cm

my theory is this (apologies as i posted this a few weeks back)- fergie is getting a change in tactics to run along with Barcelonas or the way spain.

lets look at the 2011 CL final, Barcelonas attacking 6 were as follows - Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Villa and Messi.

emulating this and assuming Fergie is after another striker (lets just use RVP for this example as i dont like putting players in who have not signed) would give us -

RVP (Villa)
    Rooney (Messi)
    Kagawa (Iniesta)
    Valencia/Nani (Pedro)
    Carrick/Anderson (Busquets)
    Scholes/Cleverly (Xavi)

this however means the interest in a free range attacking player such as Hazard and Lucas, doesnt make sense as we are already over stocked taking into account that would still mean leaving out hernandez, welbeck, young, added to the 3 already who are second options above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I agree that Hernandez is behind Welbeck in the pecking order but I don't agree that defenders have found him out and that it became easy to defend against him. This is lazy punditry.

For a start, most of his goals come from avenues other than beating the offside trap. He's usually in the right place at the right time to score a tap-in or gets in front of the defender to power in a header or get a flick-on from a cross. His movement and ability to get away from players is what his game is based on, not playing on the shoulder.

His big problem last year was that his season was stop-start. He was in and out with injuries at the beginning and when he finally came back, Welbeck had established himself. I believe that with significant game-time, he would have pushed on from the first season.

I agree with most of this.

Widely praised in his first season, "failed to live up to the heights of his first season" is the common thing bandied about my lazy pundits.

In the Premiership:

2011/2012:
    Minutes played: 1477
    Goals: 10
    Assists: 2

2010/2011:
    Minutes played: 1491
    Goals: 13

Poor season? He scored 3 goals less in the league. Welbeck played over 2000 minutes and only scored 9.

10 goals playing less than half the minutes of our Premiership games is a stellar return.

Assuming he could keep up his strike rate, if he played all our games, he could have scored more than 20. If that is a poor season, then, f*cking hell.

If we give him game time, he will score. His movement is fantastic, even if his link up play leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Looks like another potential midfield target is slipping away. Dembele was linked with a move to us, but Real Madrid appear to be making a move.
    "My manager has already talked with Real," he told Het Nieuwsblad. "There have been contacts between my agent and Real Madrid. They have wanted information and that was it.
    "I cannot say much else about it - everything is calm, but I cannot say where I will be playing."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

my theory is this (apologies as i posted this a few weeks back)- fergie is getting a change in tactics to run along with Barcelonas or the way spain.

lets look at the 2011 CL final, Barcelonas attacking 6 were as follows - Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Villa and Messi.

emulating this and assuming Fergie is after another striker (lets just use RVP for this example as i dont like putting players in who have not signed) would give us -

RVP (Villa)
    Rooney (Messi)
    Kagawa (Iniesta)
    Valencia/Nani (Pedro)
    Scholes/Cleverly (Xavi)

this however means the interest in a free range attacking player such as Hazard and Lucas, doesnt make sense as we are already over stocked taking into account that would still mean leaving out hernandez, welbeck, young, added to the 3 already who are second options above.

I'd be very worried if he tried that. The system only seems suited to barca who spent years to perfect it and get the players to make it work. I guess we're in for another rollercoaster season

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I agree that Hernandez is behind Welbeck in the pecking order but I don't agree that defenders have found him out and that it became easy to defend against him. This is lazy punditry.

For a start, most of his goals come from avenues other than beating the offside trap. He's usually in the right place at the right time to score a tap-in or gets in front of the defender to power in a header or get a flick-on from a cross. His movement and ability to get away from players is what his game is based on, not playing on the shoulder.

His big problem last year was that his season was stop-start. He was in and out with injuries at the beginning and when he finally came back, Welbeck had established himself. I believe that with significant game-time, he would have pushed on from the first season.

I agree with most of this.

Widely praised in his first season, "failed to live up to the heights of his first season" is the common thing bandied about my lazy pundits.

In the Premiership:

2011/2012:
    Minutes played: 1477
    Goals: 10

2010/2011:
    Minutes played: 1491
    Goals: 13

Poor season? He scored 3 goals less in the league. Welbeck played over 2000 minutes and only scored 9.

10 goals playing less than half the minutes of our Premiership games is a stellar return.

Assuming he could keep up his strike rate, if he played all our games, he could have scored more than 20. If that is a poor season, then, f*cking hell.

If we give him game time, he will score. His movement is fantastic, even if his link up play leaves a lot to be desired.

Stats can be used however you luke . Have you got a number of the amoubt of times united were lookung dangerous going forward and he just sauntered offside.

Pro. F wrote: »

It's been said a lot already. But everybody who is saying it don't seem to be really thinking it through. Kagawa's best position is central behind the centre forward and he is world class there. So with Rooney, Kagawa, Welbeck and Chicharito we already have the four quality strikers we need.

Good point actually, I'm forgetting one of the things I found most important earlier. That Kagawa is a not a midfielder. Perhaps Chico isn't seen in long term plans either along with Berba.

That is very unfair on Rooney. He played his balls off last year and dragged the team through loads of games. He doesn't need competition from his team mates to motivate him.

I don't think I'm being unfair at all, I think you've taken me up wrong here. He did have quite a few games were he was below par, Though others where he carried the team too. I was saying that the added competition along with someone else who could drag the team through games will be of benefit to him. I'm not saying he's been underperforming much, just that I think he has the talent to do even better than he did last season and this potential transfer could help make that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Owen_S wrote: »
    Looks like another potential midfield target is slipping away. Dembele was linked with a move to us, but Real Madrid appear to be making a move.

Hopefully it's all just to try and force Levy's hand with Modric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Regarding Chico. Solksjaer had a fairly poor second season at United as well, with a good preseaon under his belt I think we'll see the best of Hernandez next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me, Rooney's all around game was rubbish for the last 2 months of the season or so. He was scoring goals, brilliantly, but his general play was shockingly poor. Couldn't pass the ball or control it - Everton game a great example. Two goals but some truly shocking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

For me, Rooney's all around game was rubbish for the last 2 months of the season or so. He was scoring goals, brilliantly, but his general play was shockingly poor. Couldn't pass the ball or control it - Everton game a great example. Two goals but some truly shocking play.
    yeah he was definitely more Inzaghi than Messi or Ronaldo towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

cloptrop wrote: »
    Stats can be used however you luke . Have you got a number of the amoubt of times united were lookung dangerous going forward and he just sauntered offside.

Dear Lord, spell check, man......

A. I don't have access to offside stats.
    B. I've never seen Chico "sauntering" around the pitch. When he plays he is giving his all for the side.
    C. Are you trying to imply that we'd score more goals if Chico wasn't in the side, and he costs us?
    D. We'd all like him to be a bit more aware of the offside trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

On Hernandez he didnt get a rest last summer and was carrying niggling injuries. He never got a run in the team. I agree he got caught offside alot but this could be also down to our lack of killer ball through the middle. Kagawa could be a big help here he looks brilliant at playing killer balls through the middle. With Kagawas vision and execution of passing better than anybody we had last season i think he could have a great partnership with Hernandez.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    cloptrop wrote: »

Dear Lord, spell check, man......

A. I don't have access to offside stats.
    B. I've never seen Chico "sauntering" around the pitch. When he plays he is giving his all for the side.
    C. Are you trying to imply that we'd score more goals if Chico wasn't in the side, and he costs us?
    D. We'd all like him to be a bit more aware of the offside trap.
    Sorry for the spelling im on phone and have fat thumbs.
    I think he cost us goals in a sense that if a better player was playing we wouldnt be getting attacks stopped because of our mistakes.
    I really do think we could improve in his position with a more rounded player . Id have wellbeck over him any day . And id trade 2 chicos for rvp. He really does need to up his game this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rumours that Angelo Henriquez is due to have a medical with United are going around. Sky Sports and a few tabloids are running with it, also mention of City trying to hijack the deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

we already own the rights to him so i dont see how city could hijack it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Blatter wrote: »
    Rumours that Angelo Henriquez is due to have a medical with United are going around. Sky Sports and a few tabloids are running with it, also mention of City trying to hijack the deal.

Reports in chile saying hes in manchester for a medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

sea_monkey wrote: »
    we already own the rights to him so i dont see how city could hijack it?

I would be surprised if United owned 'rights'. From what I have read, United have an agreement to but him for £4 million in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

RVP (Villa)
    Rooney (Messi)
    Kagawa (Iniesta)
    Valencia/Nani (Pedro)
    Scholes/Cleverly (Xavi)

That theory would mean Kagawa on the wing and one of Valencia or Nani dropped. Kagawa isn't as good as Nani on the wing and is only a marginal improvement over Valencia. Rooney would be playing the number 10 position but he isn't as good there as Kagawa, so that's no improvement. RVP is no better than Rooney as a centre forward, so that's no improvement either.

I know you could be planning for the team to be free flowing with everybody interchanging positions, but that wouldn't make up for the fact that it's not actually the best players on the pitch. That type of fluid play would also be severely hampered by our malfunctioning central midfield.

You say that there are lack of world class players at the club, but actually there are a decent number. Vidic, Rooney, Kagawa and Nani are all clearly world class. I would argue that DDG and Smalling deserve to be in that category already as well. So three of our world class players are in the forward positions and one of them will have to play out of position if RVP comes in along with Valencia being dropped and meanwhile our central midfield is in a heap.

You are setting up a false dichotomy by saying it is RVP or nobody. That is not the case. RVP would improve our first team slightly at best, a proper central midfielder would improve the team massively.

You are setting up a false dichotomy by saying it is RVP or nobody. That is not the case. RVP would improve our first team slightly at best, a proper central midfielder would improve the team massively.

previous transfer windows would indicate that being set up for disappointment is the done thing.

dont get me wrong, i am hoping that a CM was planned and still is on the cards, (though its more likely not to happen than happen at this stage)AND, that RVP wasnt planned, just fergie wants him as an extra signing.

i think we both expect deep down that no matter what happens, we will not sign a geunine world class CM player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Chicharito is one of the most likeable players I've ever seen so it's difficult to criticise him.

He's undoubtedly a superb finisher and poacher, but in my view...

- He's very naive when it comes to staying onside / running offside

- His first touch is poor

This was very evident in our last Champions League final.

Back in the day, teams could carry "poachers" who contributed little else to the team but I don't think that's the case anymore. Wellbeck is nowhere near as potent a finisher but because of his better all round game and general contribution, he rightly gets the nod more regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Think he has Kagawa as the attcking most part of a midfield three behind Nani, Rooney, RVP.

There's no way it's RVP or nobody for any reason other than Ferguson has decided he's not interested in a midfielder, in which case RVP's signature is irrelevant to questions of signing midfielders anyway.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Good point actually, I'm forgetting one of the things I found most important earlier. That Kagawa is a not a midfielder. Perhaps Chico isn't seen in long term plans either along with Berba.
    The other thing that I forgot to mention is, like Ordinary Man said, that Kagawa could play in central midfield. But I think that would be a waste of his talents and it would also mean not playing Cleverley which would be madness imo.
    Sacramento wrote: »
    I don't think I'm being unfair at all, I think you've taken me up wrong here. He did have quite a few games were he was below par, Though others where he carried the team too. I was saying that the added competition along with someone else who could drag the team through games will be of benefit to him. I'm not saying he's been underperforming much, just that I think he has the talent to do even better than he did last season and this potential transfer could help make that happen.

I wouldn't agree that he had quite a few bad games. He had a few, but very few imo.

I do agree that sharing the workload will help him. But imo Kagawa is already a big step towards that. Last season Rooney was the only one who fergie trusted in the number 10 role. Now we have Kagawa who is world class at that. So if Rooney is playing centre forward he has two very strong back ups in Welbeck and Hernandez.

The thing I don't agree with at all is the mention of competition, I don't think he needs that at all.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Think he has Kagawa as the attcking most part of a midfield three behind Nani, Rooney, RVP.

There's no way it's RVP or nobody for any reason other than Ferguson has decided he's not interested in a midfielder, in which case RVP's signature is irrelevant to questions of signing midfielders anyway.

So you would have RVP or Rooney out on the wing. Imo Valencia is better than either of them in that position.

I agree with your second paragraph.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Blatter wrote: »

Interesting link, would that be instead of Lucas Moura? Possibly leaves money for a left back as well*

*guessing that the story may have some truth rather than believing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Reports in chile saying hes in manchester for a medical

Who is he?

previous transfer windows would indicate that being set up for disappointment is the done thing.

Meh, I don't agree that the pattern of having trouble signing targets is nearly as extreme as you seem to think.
    i think we both expect deep down that no matter what happens, we will not sign a geunine world class CM player.
    Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Interesting link, would that be instead of Lucas Moura? Possibly leaves money for a left back as well*

*guessing that the story may have some truth rather than believing!

I doubt it.

Henriquez is a striker who has been on the radar for a long time.

To me it looks like interest from other clubs has made Utd move earlier than expected, ala Phil Jones.

• Advertisement

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Back in the day, teams could carry "poachers" who contributed little else to the team but I don't think that's the case anymore.

TBH people were saying that exact same thing when RVN was in his pomp at United. The general opinion seems to always be the case that poachers can't be accommodated, while the poachers just keep scoring goals and helping win games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So you would have RVP or Rooney out on the wing. Imo Valencia is better than either of them in that position.

I think a forward trio of Rooney, Van Persie and Nani/Valencia/Young is approaching godlike levels and that the three players involved would be smart, capable and dynamic enough to be extremely difficult to defend against in such a system.

Similar to the "Kagawa plays best off the striker" I think you're guilty of a chalkboard type vision of the game that doesn't give the players involved the credit for being the unbelievable footballers they are, capable of operating to a very high level under a variety of tactics, formations and constraints.

I agree with your second paragraph.

in that system you would want an advanced forward capable of getting in and around the box as well as changing positions with his team mates. As good as Val is in the right wing position he would'nt be as good as RVP, Rooney in that system.

I agree than Val is a better winger but not a better forward if that makes sense.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think a forward trio of Rooney, Van Persie and Nani/Valencia/Young is approaching godlike levels and that the three players involved would be smart, capable and dynamic enough to be extremely difficult to defend against in such a system.

Similar to the "Kagawa plays best off the striker" I think you're guilty of a chalkboard type vision of the game that doesn't give the players involved the credit for being the unbelievable footballers they are, capable of operating to a very high level under a variety of tactics, formations and constraints.

Yeah, I don't agree. Rooney is shít on the wing and RVP isn't as good as Valencia. A forward trio of Rooney, Nani and Valencia shíts all over a forward trio of RVP, Rooney and Nani.

Guillem Balague saying that he has no news regarding Nuri Sahin other than interest from Liverpool.

I'm amazed that United don't appear to be interested in Sahin.

anybody else hear rumours of phil jones being out for a while? seen a link to an article while reading on my phone earlier but cant find it now, anybody have it?

apparently he has rested for a few weeks, but has back problems that wont go away.

smalling, evans and jones on the sick list, with no cover at LB and rafael our only RB apart from valencia.

another year of defensive injuries would just sicken my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yeah, no. Rooney is shít on the wing and RVP isn't as good as Valencia. A forward trio of Rooney, Nani and Valencia shíts all over a forward trio of RVP, Rooney and Nani.

Not sure on this. I would prefer fluidity in such a system and Valencia is about as one dimensional as you can get (this is not an insult!). I think the latter 3 will be better at link up, movement and interchanging. Having said that, starting Rooney in a non central position is a bit strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Guillem Balague saying that he has no news regarding Nuri Sahin other than interest from Liverpool.

why would they be as long as Carrick's at the club?

Back in the day, teams could carry "poachers" who contributed little else to the team but I don't think that's the case anymore.

TBH people were saying that exact same thing when RVN was in his pomp at United. The general opinion seems to always be the case that poachers can't be accommodated, while the poachers just keep scoring goals and helping win games.

True, but the aim should be to have a poacher that works too (by either finding one or giving your existing one a kick up the hole).

gosplan wrote: »

why would they be as long as Carrick's at the club?

Is that you Jimmy Carr?

Pay your taxes!

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    in that system you would want an advanced forward capable of getting in and around the box as well as changing positions with his team mates. As good as Val is in the right wing position he would'nt be as good as RVP, Rooney in that system.

I agree than Val is a better winger but not a better forward if that makes sense.

A 433 doesn't have to involve interchange of positions though.

If you were going to play the Barca style of everybody interchanging positions and being completely comfortable with the intricate link up play, then yes I would agree with you that Valencia wouldn't be the best at that. But then you have Young who is very good at that type of play, while still being excellent at wing play. Neither Rooney nor RVP when they're in the wide positions are good at beating fullbacks so I don't think the sum of the parts is a good trade off compared to Young who is good at both aspects.

Also there is the fact that with the malfunctioning central midfield it is crazy to plan on emulating Barcelona's style in the first place.

True, but the aim should be to have a poacher that works too (by either finding one or giving your existing one a kick up the hole).

Honestly, I believe Chicharito works perfectly fine if he's just given games.

Honestly, I believe Chicharito works perfectly fine if he's just given games.

I agree that he works hard.

It's his naivety re offside and dodgy first touch/control that concern me.

His attitude and outlook are a joy to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

sicken my hole.

A sick anus - a unwelcome ailment.

I agree that he works hard.

It's his naivety re offside and dodgy first touch/control that concern me.

His attitude and outlook are a joy to behold.
    Yeah I knew that was what you meant. I also meant "work" as in function properly. I think he functions properly when he gets games. The relatively poor first touch and problems with offside are overcome by his positioning and finishing imo.

A 433 doesn't have to involve interchange of positions though.

If you were going to play the Barca style of everybody interchanging positions and being completely comfortable with the intricate link up play, then yes I would agree with you that Valencia wouldn't be the best at that. But then you have Young who is very good at that type of play, while still being excellent at wing play. Neither Rooney nor RVP when they're in the wide positions are good at beating fullbacks so I don't think the sum of the parts is a good trade off compared to Young who is good at both aspects.

Also there is the fact that with the malfunctioning central midfield it is crazy to plan on emulating Barcelona's style in the first place.

Maybe I missed something, apologies if I did. But I thought the conversation was about Homers idea that SAF was changing to a Barca style of play?

If that was the idea then the 4-3-3 would need to be fluid. It would need players like Sanchez, Pedro, Fabregas, capable on either side and centrally which Valencia is not. My comment was made exclusively on that type of system.

if we are going along the lines of what SAF could do with the squad then its a differant converstation.

For me there is no point having Kagawa unless the people around/ahead of him will be able to find space rather than up and down in a straight line so 4-3-3 with no fluidity it is really 4-5-1 maybe 4-2-3-1. If united have 4/5 in midfield then Val is in and would suit the counter attack system. You are right to suggest neither system would suit RVP or Rooney if they were played as wingers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we sign RVP, couldn't we work a 4-3-1-2 formation?
    De Gea

Raf - Vidic - Rio - Evra

Nani - Carrick - Valencia/Young

Kagawa

Rooney - Van Persie

Wouldn't that keep everyone in their best positions, while also leaving plenty of room for the likes of Chico and Welbeck to come on as impact subs?

Rooney and rvp up top with kag behind them . Valencia and nani on the wings . Carrick and a top class defensive midfielder int the centre with 3 at the back . Carrick can drop into centre half when we dont have the ball . We might concede a few but wed score bucketloads.

Yeah I knew that was what you meant. I also meant "work" as in function properly. I think he functions properly when he gets games. The relatively poor first touch and problems with offside are overcome by his positioning and finishing imo.

re his offsides, is that not in part down to a lack of game time? When you play on the edge looking to get in behind it must be tough to get the timing right when you are in and out of the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If we sign RVP, couldn't we work a 4-3-1-2 formation?
    De Gea

Raf - Vidic - Rio - Evra

Nani - Carrick - Valencia/Young

Kagawa

Rooney - Van Persie

Wouldn't that keep everyone in their best positions, while also leaving plenty of room for the likes of Chico and Welbeck to come on as impact subs?

We would get overrun in the middle I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement