Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    We would get overrun in the middle I think

We will anyway. At least this way we can distribute the ball around the center and everyone plays their strongest position....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    We would get overrun in the middle I think

No doubt about it with only one cm in the line up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think SAF will play with 4 at the back and two central midfielders at a minimum. The rest of the teams set up will change from time to time depending on what tactics are needed. He won't be playing Carrick by himself in a central position imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What would people think of this:

de Gea

Smalling--Vidic---Evans
    Valencia----Carrick----Cleverley
    Evra
    Kagawa

Rooney----van Persie

Would never suggest to drop Nani permanently from the team, the above system is just a thought.

Could see it working pretty well myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something, apologies if I did. But I thought the conversation was about Homers idea that SAF was changing to a Barca style of play?

If that was the idea then the 4-3-3 would need to be fluid. It would need players like Sanchez, Pedro, Fabregas, capable on either side and centrally which Valencia is not. My comment was made exclusively on that type of system. if we are going along the lines of what SAF could do with the squad then its a differant converstation.

I was just responding to Keane, I don't know if he meant a front three along the lines of Homer's Barca style theory or just a front three with no qualification on the strategy. I think I covered both anyway.
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    For me there is no point having Kagawa unless the people around/ahead of him will be able to find space rather than up and down in a straight line so 4-3-3 with no fluidity it is really 4-5-1 maybe 4-2-3-1. If united have 4/5 in midfield then Val is in and would suit the counter attack system. You are right to suggest neither system would suit RVP or Rooney if they were played as wingers.

I don't agree that formations dictate the style of play. You can have fluid or rigid 451 or 433.

I think Kagawa in the number 10 role would link up perfectly with Valencia who is always available to exploit the space behind the fullback. The only thing Valencia lacks is ability to play in narrow and interchange position for the Homer Barca style, he has no lack of movement or ability to find space in the standard winger way imo. If you want to go along with the Homer Barca theory then Young, who has no problem coming narrow and interchanging position, is still better there than Rooney or RVP anyway imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Just seeing this stuff about Henriquez now. Does anyone know the full story on this? I know we've been interested in him for a while but it seems to have progressed very quickly from nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Blatter wrote: »
    What would people think of this:

de Gea

Smalling--Vidic---Evans
    Valencia----Carrick----Cleverley
    Evra
    Kagawa

Rooney----van Persie

Would never suggest to drop Nani permanently from the team, the above system is just a thought.

Could see it working pretty well myself.

with a good def midfielder instead of cleverly and nani instead of evra . Wed have a smashing counterattacking team . The def midfielder and carrick dropping into defence when we dont have the ball .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

We will anyway. At least this way we can distribute the ball around the center and everyone plays their strongest position....

You can't play with one central midfielder. You just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Pro. F wrote: »
    You can't play with one central midfielder. You just can't.

Unless you've got a 27 year old Roy Keane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »

I don't agree that formations dictate the style of play. You can have fluid or rigid 451 or 433.

I think Kagawa in the number 10 role would link up perfectly with Valencia who is always available to exploit the space behind the fullback. The only thing Valencia lacks is ability to play in narrow and interchange position for the Homer Barca style, he has no lack of movement or ability to find space in the standard winger way imo. If you want to go along with the Homer Barca theory then Young, who has no problem coming narrow and interchanging position, is still better there than Rooney or RVP anyway imo.

You could be right about young but I would prefer one of the other two high up the field around the goal. Thats my own preferance.

I wasn't trying to say the formation itself dictates the type of play. I was saying if United want to use Kagawa properly then a 4-3-3 needs to be fluid. SAF could ask the forwards to play in a more structured attack but I don't think that is how Kagawa should be used. I would like to see players running into any space they can find that will help Kagawa get the ball to them. I find in a rigid formations it is to easy to stop the supply so I don't think kagawa would flourish in that type of approach.

RE valencia as a winger playing wide right, getting up and down the wing yes please. As a forward no thanks. Not for me, his lack of ability to come inside would be a big concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A0QfyA2CcAIlaFe.jpg:large

Did Henriquez train at Utd when he was younger? Borrowed this image off twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

@adox

Yeah I believe he did. He has been a target for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

New signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

New signing.

And I thought I was bad at photshop :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Euro 2012 proved that 3-5-2 works at the highest level in football, and while it looks good at a glance, we don't have the players to use it. On the right, Rafael would be an ideal wing-back, but it would mean leaving out our player of the season, Valencia. You could use Valencia as a wing-back, but it's clearly not his most effective position.

As for the left, Evra has looked very reluctant to run in the last 18 months, I doubt he could handle the left flank by himself for 50+ games this season.

The way things are lining up, we should expect a similar formation to last season(4-4-2/4-4-1-1), albeit with the front two being Kagawa in a slightly withdrawn position with Rooney ahead of him. It still allows for rotation and we could play two strikers.

I would expect this to be our best team by the new year:
    De Gea
    Rafael - Evans - Vidic - Evra
    Valencia - Cleverley - Carrick - Nani
    Kagawa
    Rooney

Owen_S wrote: »
    De Gea
    Rafael - Evans - Vidic - Evra
    Valencia - Cleverley - Carrick - Nani
    Kagawa
    Rooney

Evans ahead of Rio and Smalling is a big call.

Plus wheres RVP?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/08/14/Wenger-agrees-to-RVP-sale/gnid-150638/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Arsenal will reluctantly sell Robin van Persie to Manchester United for £22million, according to reports.

The Gunners have been battling to keep hold of the Dutchman despite his refusal to sign a new deal but it is now thought Arsene Wenger does not want to keep an unhappy player in his squad and is ready to cash in.

United had been struggling to agree a fee with Arsenal, who were holding out for £25million, but reports now claim a compromise has been reached and Van Persie could be Old Trafford bound before the weekend.

Agreeing personal terms with the player will not be a problem and a four-year deal is already said to be in place so as long as a fee can be sorted out the deal will go through.

Van Persie was booed by Gunners fans at the weekend when he played the last 20 minutes against Cologne and that is also said to have convinced Wenger now is the time to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

anyone find it strange that berbatov hasn't been sold yet ? is there any clubs even interested in him ??

Don't really find it strange at all.

Berbatov is on around £100k/week and obviously doesn't want to take any sort of significant pay cut. It was always going to be a struggle to find a club to take him on with those wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Wasn't Zenith St. Petersburg supposedly interested?

• Advertisement

Sports editor of the dailyfail on twitter just tweeted this

Matt Lawless ‏@mattylawless
    Manchester United are set to unveil Angelo Henriquez - the young Chilean striker has just had his medical at the Bridgewater Hospital #mufc

Manchester United are set to unveil Angelo Henriquez - the young Chilean striker has just had his medical at the Bridgewater Hospital #mufc

Supposedly they have pictures of him outside the hospital and will have them online soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

MOAR STRIKERS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Eathrin wrote: »
    MOAR STRIKERS!!!

doesnt make sense. is RVP just a distraction then or what to f8ck?

i assume this young lad will be loaned out somewhere else or was this another panic buy like Jones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He'd probably go out on loan wouldn't he?

Henriquez that is, not RVP. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wonder was Berba offered to Arsenal as part of the deal?

Berbatov & 12m would have been a good deal for both clubs I would have thought.

I could see him doing very well for Arsenal, maybe a bit short of pace for their style but name a better player for retaining possession high up the pitch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I would think they will loan him out for a year somewhere or maybe even back to the selling club, maybe some other team came sniffing around and forced their hand.

Actually I'm surprised Powell hasn't gone out on loan yet. Does Fergie plan on doing this?
    Don't think he'll get much gametime with us this season except for say Carling cup games.

• Advertisement

i assume this young lad will be loaned out somewhere else or was this another panic buy like Jones.

We agreed with Universidad in 2009 when he was 15 that we could buy him for €4 Million. This agreement would last until 2014. We have obviously decided to take him now as impending interest from other top European clubs may have caused Universidad to go back on the agreement. Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

@homerjay2005

Bit harsh to call Phil Jones a panic buy!

He's seen as one of England's great prospects and not too long ago he was being compared to Duncan Edwards. Most of the big clubs wanted him. Yes he's suffered a bit from being shunted around position wise and there's a risk of him becoming a jack of all trades but he's fundamentally a superb young player.

I see him as Vidic's long term successor at CB and definite future captain material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder is Fergie looking at moving Rooney on sooner than we would think - RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa, Henriquez, Keane.... Rooney to head next summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Actually I'm surprised Powell hasn't gone out on loan yet. Does Fergie plan on doing this?
    Don't think he'll get much gametime with us this season except for say Carling cup games.
    Too early to loan out as he needs a couple of games for the reserves to adapt to his new role as CM and he is missing the physical training United have. Next season would be the perfect time for him to develop first team experience.

We bought Phil Jones under the same premise we bought Wayne Rooney. Liverpool cam in for Phil Jones we went and bought him, Newcastle came in for Wayne Rooney we went and bought him. We obviously had a keen interest in both players we just had to buy them earlier because other teams came in for both players. Jones was certainly not a panic buy.

I wonder is Fergie looking at moving Rooney on sooner than we would think - RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa, Henriquez, Keane.... Rooney to head next summer?

Never say never.

Buddy of mine (United fan) is still adamant that we should have sold Rooney to City when he threw his toys out of his pram two years ago.

His logic is that with the £60-80m, we could have bought Aguero plus (say) Modric or Silva and had a few bob left over, leaving us much better off.

Hard to argue with if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. Rooney had to play far deeper than he would of liked to win the ball. With Kagawa here this season we can afford to leave Rooney in the final third of the pitch. Rooney performances suffered last year. I just think Sir Alex realised how much this team relied on his goals. I don't think signing another young striker means bad news for anyone bar Will Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    @homerjay2005

Bit harsh to call Phil Jones a panic buy!

He's seen as one of England's great prospects and not too long ago he was being compared to Duncan Edwards. Most of the big clubs wanted him. Yes he's suffered a bit from being shunted around position wise and there's a risk of him becoming a jack of all trades but he's fundamentally a superb young player.

I see him as Vidic's long term successor at CB and definite future captain material.

ive made my thoughts known on Phil Jones many times before. i think he is over hyped, overpriced and overrated and was a player who we didnt need last year.

he was the definition of a panic buy, we bought him to stop arsenal and liverpool signing him.

he was signed as a center back, was played there multiple times and looks way out of his depth in alot of those games. he is a decent player, but he has a huge amount of developing and improving to do, before he becomes good enough for united.

alot of people will disagree, i dont mind that, as its my opinion and i am basing it on his football ability.

Never say never.

Buddy of mine (United fan) is still adamant that we should have sold Rooney to City when he threw his toys out of his pram two years ago.

His logic is that with the £60-80m, we could have bought Aguero plus (say) Modric or Silva and had a few bob left over, leaving us much better off.

Except we probably wouldn't have bought Aguero and Modric. We didn't make any big money signings after Ronaldo left, who's to say it would be any different this time?

Never say never.

Except we probably wouldn't have bought Aguero and Modric. We didn't make any big money signings after Ronaldo left, who's to say it would be any different this time?

True.

The argument's obviously dependent on us replacing Rooney with two world class players.

Would Henriquez even be eligible for a work permit? He hasn't made a full international appearance, so it's unlikely that he will get one(still possible, just a lot more difficult).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So that's RVP not coming then for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Why? Both Macheda and Berbatov likely to be moved on.

....and Bebe

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Owen_S wrote: »
    Would Henriquez even be eligible for a work permit? He hasn't made a full international appearance, so it's unlikely that he will get one(still possible, just a lot more difficult).

He'd get no game time in the first team so he'll either be loaned back to Universidad de Chile or loaned to a european team a couple seasons I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

what makes you think that?

skinny90 wrote: »
    Bebe's pre-season form :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why? Both Macheda and Berbatov likely to be moved on.

....and Bebe

*runs*
    skinny90 wrote: »

experience.

International career

On Tuesday 14th August, Henriquez completed a medical and signed for record English 19 times champions Manchester United for a fee of £4 million. He passed his medical on this day alongside with Robin Van Persie.

experience.

I honestly dont think it will have a bearing either way.

Nah, it's nothing got to do with van Persie.

A €4m signing of an 18 year old kid doesn't impact the pursuit of a 29 year old superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

International career

On Tuesday 14th August, Henriquez completed a medical and signed for record English 19 times champions Manchester United for a fee of £4 million. He passed his medical on this day alongside with Robin Van Persie and Lionel Messi

:eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement