Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Keno 92 wrote: »
    I mention Moussa a few times. Bloody beast.
    Sacramento wrote: »
    An absolute must buy in Football Manager.

We Moussa sign him then.....thank you.....

*Hands you your coat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

simple question...are you happy to sign baines, knowing that the likelyhood is that if we sign him, our spending is over?

i would be disappointed and shocked if even 1 our of 100 united fans would be happy with that.

i dont give a f*ck just how much ye think evra has regressed, LB is not a priority. we need 2 CM's, a striker (if berba goes) and even a proper right back before we sign a LB.

i fail to see how any well clued in united fan cant see that. slag off evra all you want, evra didnt cost us the league, our lack of top class options in CM did.

we sign baines, we are unlikely to solve that problem. if we sign baines and then we sign the CM we need then great, but can you honeslty expect us to spend in the region of 70million this year? i doubt it

Why does the spending have to be over? I'm not suggesting that Baines is the player we need to get. Evra came to us for £5.5 million. If we got another good player in that region then we'd be mad to not take him.

How is right back more of a priority than left back? I think you're letting your obvious love of Evra cloud your judgement here. We have at least 4 players who can play at right back. We could potentially have only one who can play at left back next year.

What if Evra gets injured? Do we call back Fabio from his loan? Play Fryers? Start Giggs at LB?

We have Rafael, Jones, Smalling and Valencia (if he's needed) to play at right back. What is the point in signing another right back? It's a pretty ridiculous thing to suggest in my opinion.

I'm not slagging off Evra lad, get over yourself. No player is immune to criticism. He has been absolutely gash all season, and he was rightly dropped from the France team. He has turned from one of our best players into a liability on the pitch. I fail to see how any well clued in United fan can't see that.

Unless we sell a player or three I doubt we'll spend that much. If Baines was available for less than £10 million then I think we should go for him. If not then don't. Go for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be devasated if we signed a LB and no central midfielder.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked. We bought wingers and CBs last year when we had absolutely no need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Why does the spending have to be over? I'm not suggesting that Baines is the player we need to get. Evra came to us for £5.5 million. If we got another good player in that region then we'd be mad to not take him.

How is right back more of a priority than left back? I think you're letting your obvious love of Evra cloud your judgement here. We have at least 4 players who can play at right back. We could potentially have only one who can play at left back next year.

What if Evra gets injured? Do we call back Fabio from his loan? Play Fryers? Start Giggs at LB?

We have Rafael, Jones, Smalling and Valencia (if he's needed) to play at right back. What is the point in signing another right back? It's a pretty ridiculous thing to suggest in my opinion.

I'm not slagging off Evra lad, get over yourself. No player is immune to criticism. He has been absolutely gash all season, and he was rightly dropped from the France team. He has turned from one of our best players into a liability on the pitch. I fail to see how any well clued in United fan can't see that.

Unless we sell a player or three I doubt we'll spend that much. If Baines was available for less than £10 million then I think we should go for him. If not then don't. Go for someone else.

ive criticized evra as much as anybody this year. but for all the talk about Evra, people have completely ignored just how much the likes of Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs, Park regressed. people blame evra for everything, yet others get away with murder. ive no problem getting a left back, but do you honeslty think if we spend 15million on LB, that this means another CM is coming?

as for RB, we have one natural RB. the other 3 are either CB's or wingers.

and to answer your other question, i think sending Fabio out on loan is nonsense, simple solution is keep him, use him as Evra cover and we also have Evans to fill in then in the event of injuries.

you also mention about Evra not being first choice for france, which is nonsense considering that Baines has barely kicked a ball for England, unless Cole is missing.

Evra is not as good as he was, but still is not our biggest problem. deny it all you want, we all would like 10 new signings and 100+million spent, but its not going to happen. its like Kagawa V hazard....people were going made that we didnt sign Hazard, but in the context of it all, 15million for Kagawa is a much better deal than Hazard....at least the money is there to be spent still (i hope). Baines would take that up and that would be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If we sign a left back and a central midfielder, Ill be happy, if its just a central midfielder, ill be happy, if its just a left back Ill be disgusted, but I am getting used to that feeling during the summer transfer window :)

Happy with the business done so far, very happy, and a good quality central midfield player would make this one of the best transfer windows I can remember. Would be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

In fairness homer, Baines is behind Cole who is one of the top 3 LB's in the world.

Evra has lost his place to Gael Clichy. Not quite the same thing.

Fabio going on loan and getting games is essential to his long term development if Fergie sees his him as Evra's long term successor but not quite ready to take over.

For the price involved I don't see the point in buying Baines, I'd rather see Fabio get a lot more game time and eventually phase Evra out.

But to answer your original point, I'd be more than happy to see Evra play
    Every game next year if that means we sign a top class CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Whats the story with pogba , has he joined juve ?

Surely if pogba has buckets loads of potential , he should be trusted to be in the team instead of forking out millions for another player ?

On the whole left back debate, lads it's as clear as day light evra just has to be replaced.

I'm happy with the kawagra signing, maybe Fergie is relying on ando and clev to stay fit along with pogba,Carrick,giggs,fletcher and of course scholes that's a fair bit of depth in the centre of the park but obviously giggs and scholes would need to replaced properly for next season not the fob job Fergie done last summer when scholes retired for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

IvySlayer wrote: »
    We Moussa sign him then.....thank you.....

You can have this back!
    pjaEz.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Surely if pogba has buckets loads of potential , he should be trusted to be in the team instead of forking out millions for another player ?

On the whole left back debate, lads it's as clear as day light evra just has to be replaced.

I'm happy with the kawagra signing, maybe Fergie is relying on ando and clev to stay fit along with pogba,Carrick,giggs,fletcher and of course scholes that's a fair bit of depth in the centre of the park but obviously giggs and scholes would need to replaced properly for next season not the fob job Fergie done last summer when scholes retired for a bit.

Pogba is gone/about to be.

Problem is Giggs has been rubbish for the past 6 months and has one season to go, Fletcher may not be the same again, Cleverley has never made it through a season without an injury, Anderson clearly can't be relied upon, and Scholes has one season left also.

On Scholes, I think him being involved over a full season will see his performances dip - In 10-11, he was quite good at the start but rapidly tailed off towards the end, culminating in his shocking performance vs City in the Cup.

Which leaves Carrick.

The only two holes in the team are LB and CM, if those were sorted we should win the league comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

ive criticized evra as much as anybody this year. but for all the talk about Evra, people have completely ignored just how much the likes of Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs, Park regressed. people blame evra for everything, yet others get away with murder. ive no problem getting a left back, but do you honeslty think if we spend 15million on LB, that this means another CM is coming?

as for RB, we have one natural RB. the other 3 are either CB's or wingers.

and to answer your other question, i think sending Fabio out on loan is nonsense, simple solution is keep him, use him as Evra cover and we also have Evans to fill in then in the event of injuries.

you also mention about Evra not being first choice for france, which is nonsense considering that Baines has barely kicked a ball for England, unless Cole is missing.

Evra is not as good as he was, but still is not our biggest problem. deny it all you want, we all would like 10 new signings and 100+million spent, but its not going to happen. its like Kagawa V hazard....people were going made that we didnt sign Hazard, but in the context of it all, 15million for Kagawa is a much better deal than Hazard....at least the money is there to be spent still (i hope). Baines would take that up and that would be a disaster.

I'm not singling Evra out for all the blame. You can't really compare him to Anderson, Fletcher or Giggs though. He started 8 more games than all three of them put together in the league. He is an ever present figure in the team throughout the whole season. It is only natural that he is held culpable for the overall team failure than someone like Fletcher or Anderson, both of whom were very unlucky on the injury front. He is the stand-in captain at the moment. He didn't act like a captain. He said all the right things in the media, but on the pitch he didn't act like a captain except when he ran over to complain about a foul or whatever.

No I would say we probably wouldn't buy a CM if we spent that much on a LB. But I don't think we'll sign him. I'd love to see him in there but I reckon if we are going to get someone it'll be a cheaper option.

There's a massive difference between being on the bench behind Cole and being on the bench behind Clichy. Cole is one of the greatest players to ever play at left-back, Gael Clichy definitely isn't.

Where did I say that Evra is our biggest problem? You're just making up things to suit your argument now.

kryogen wrote: »
    if its just a left back Ill be disgusted, but I am getting used to that feeling during the summer transfer window :)

and thats it pretty much yet for some reason people think we can sign about 6 players this year, which we wont.

Does Frances performance the last couple of games put serious doubts over Blancs ability? Particularly to him taking over from Fergie I mean, he obviously has ability as a manager, but does he have it when it comes to managing the big egos etc that come with the biggest jobs?

He got his team selection wrong in both games imo, and tactics wrong in both also in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Pogba is gone/about to be.

Problem is Giggs has been rubbish for the past 6 months and has one season to go, Fletcher may not be the same again, Cleverley has never made it through a season without an injury, Anderson clearly can't be relied upon, and Scholes has one season left also.

On Scholes, I think him being involved over a full season will see his performances dip - In 10-11, he was quite good at the start but rapidly tailed off towards the end, culminating in his shocking performance vs City in the Cup.

Which leaves Carrick.

The only two holes in the team are LB and CM, if those were sorted we should win the league comfortably.

When you put it like that, there isn't much depth at all when you think about it.

Shame about pogba because Iv literally been hearing about him for years on Mutv through paddy etc especially after he got that wonder goal for the reserves some time ago.

I can't blame him for wanting to leave though didn't Fergie start rafael in cm ahead of him aswell as park ? Talk about knocking the stuffing out of a young fella.

Does Frances performance the last couple of games put serious doubts over Blancs ability? Particularly to him taking over from Fergie I mean, he obviously has ability as a manager, but does he have it when it comes to managing the big egos etc that come with the biggest jobs?

He got his team selection wrong in both games imo, and tactics wrong in both also in fact.

lets not forget fergies nightmare in his last 2 big games against spanish team...

lets not forget fergies nightmare in his last 2 big games against spanish team...

Sweden are a long way from Spain, and with the amount of ball they had against England they were very poor going forward.

Fergie has never been a tactical genius, not saying Blanc needs to be, but I think he needs to have another job before being strongly considered as a candidate.

• Advertisement

Sweden are a long way from Spain, and with the amount of ball they had against England they were very poor going forward.

Fergie has never been a tactical genius, not saying Blanc needs to be, but I think he needs to have another job before being strongly considered as a candidate.

ah ya, i agree with what your saying. i cringe when i hear people saying lads like hughes, blanc etc etc are good enough to replace fergie, with barely a decent pedigree behind them.

theres about 3 people who can replace fergie - Pep, jose and Wenger in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Still very early days for Blanc - especially on the international stage. I bet he learnt an awful amount during this tournament though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That French team look close to unmanageable imo. It's not a case of big egos, more a case of a collection of full on wasters. So I wouldn't be too harsh on Blanc for how he has gotten on there. He'd want to go and do something special before he'd be worth considering for the United job though. Same goes for any manager in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Pro. F wrote: »
    That French team look close to unmanageable imo. It's not a case of big egos, more a case of a collection of full on wasters. So I wouldn't be too harsh on Blanc for how he has gotten on there. He'd want to go and do something special before he'd be worth considering for the United job though. Same goes for any manager in contention.

Couldn't agree more - Just one example - Liam Brady pointed out the contribution (or lack thereof) of Florent Malouda for Spains first goal earlier - Jesus if we done that tomorrow morning, our manager would absolutely fleece us.
    I cannot believe a professional footballer, playing in one of the biggest games possible, can be so damned lazy.

'Waster' is spot on....

He is not a central midfielder though, and has been poor up to now, enough to be dropped so why was he even starting that game in central midfield? As I said, poor team selection imo.

It was disgraceful the way he let Alonso go for the goal, not absolving him of that in any way, as Keane and most other pundits said, the French just didn't seem to have any fight, not any fight or commitment to win the game or to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

i dont think a manager can be judged playing against that spaish team to be fair to blanc,lets not play with a striker today in a european quarter final and stroll to the win,what he done with france was some good work imo,bad draw and they are out,different route to the final they could well have been there,i think the spurs job for 2 seasons would be a good call to judge could he manage utd or not.

i dont think a manager can be judged playing against that spaish team to be fair to blanc,lets not play with a striker today in a european quarter final and stroll to the win,what he done with france was some good work imo,bad draw and they are out,different route to the final they could well have been there,i think the spurs job for 2 seasons would be a good call to judge could he manage utd or not.

I have made it fairly clear I am talking about more then the Spanish game.

For him to be a serious contender he needs to take a biggish job and do it well next imo

I have made it fairly clear I am talking about more then the Spanish game.

For him to be a serious contender he needs to take a biggish job and do it well next imo

did i quote you?
    ok you are talking about the last 2 games and its a fact that his team selection and tactics were wrong in both,now we are quoting and picking the bones out of comments?

did i quote you?
    ok you are talking about the last 2 games and its a fact that his team selection and tactics were wrong in both,now we are quoting and picking the bones out of comments?

He has gotten most of his tactics wrong in this tournament is my point (3 of 4 games), and at least 2 out of 4 team selections.

Quoting and picking the bones out of comments?

I brought this subject up in the first place and it was to do with more then just tonights game, that is why I told you I made it pretty clear I was not just referring to the Spanish game.

It would be rather foolish to judge a manager based on a game against Spain.

He has obvious ability as a manager, but for someone who has been talked about in such glowing terms as a possible next United manager I feel he has not shone here when the spotlight is on him and he needs to prove himself at a higher level then the French league.

He has gotten most of his tactics wrong in this tournament is my point (3 of 4 games), and at least 2 out of 4 team selections.

Quoting and picking the bones out of comments?

I brought this subject up in the first place and it was to do with more then just tonights game, that is why I told you I made it pretty clear I was not just referring to the Spanish game.

It would be rather foolish to judge a manager based on a game against Spain.

He has obvious ability as a manager, but for someone who has been talked about in such glowing terms as a possible next United manager I feel he has not shone here when the spotlight is on him and he needs to prove himself at a higher level then the French league.

so tonite spain hit the bar three r four times and france get a dubious penalty win 1 0 and? do you still question him?

i agree with you kryo by the way:)

so tonite spain hit the bar three r four times and france get a dubious penalty win 1 0 and? do you still question him?

Of course :)

I questioned him before the game tonight, I think he has a very tough job with the French team, but you cant say he has shone, I hope he goes on to become a very good manager and I hope he learns from his mistakes in this tournament.

i agree about the difficult job bit,few really honest players in that team,but some bad apples also,imo if you left benzema out and stuck in two of the french league front men france could have topped the group and possibly made the final.

i think in the main blancs done well,but that team can only be managed so far,if modric is sold blanc got the spurs job and got them into the champions league and a cup final in two seasons,would that warrant a shot at us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Just on the french team itself, bad and all as they were/are, I'd still love if united signed Cabaye, I really think he'd do a great job in the centre for us. As for Blanc, give him another few years, possibly at a different job, and then judge him.

i thought cabaye would be on his way this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I'd have Cabaye over Modric every day of the week.

And on the Evra thing, I gave him a criticism towards the end of the season saying that Baines would be a step up from him, and got promptly shot down, whats changed? Has it taken a few bad performances in a jersey other than utd's to show (some of) you how poor he has been? I love the man but hes just not doin it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

And the guys on about M'Vila, he has looked terrible in the tournament. Looks like Carrick in his style of play, from this tournament mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Samich wrote: »
    And the guys on about M'Vila, he has looked terrible in the tournament. Looks like Carrick in his style of play, from this tournament mind ;)

Totally agree. Hadn't seen much of him so said Id look out for him in the euro's.

He hasn't performed well at all and going on this tournament there's a lot of other players who should be getting our attention as players we'd like to see in our midfield. But as I said I haven't seen much more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

i agree about the difficult job bit,few really honest players in that team,but some bad apples also,imo if you left benzema out and stuck in two of the french league front men france could have topped the group and possibly made the final.

i think in the main blancs done well,but that team can only be managed so far,if modric is sold blanc got the spurs job and got them into the champions league and a cup final in two seasons,would that warrant a shot at us?

Blanc would be a good manager for Spurs but he will have learnt a lot from his current job; I would still consider him a strong contender for Fergie's job when he retires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

To be fair to M'Vila, he's carrying a knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

G.K. wrote: »

Never heard that. In fairness I keep hearing how good he is and even today SS are saying how he'd be suited to the premiership.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11994/7838433/Euro-star

Going by that report he is defo for sale. We can compete with the likes of Arsenal on wages and transfer fee's so should we be making a move? would he suit our game?

Someone just posted these rare unused prototype Utd jerseys on twitter, have a look...

Both these from 1992;
    1077a941.jpg
    b197cf05.jpg

Treble winning 1998/9;
    73bb1138.jpg

I actually like that Newton Heath style one, is that wrong? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

And tbf to M'Vila it is not wise to judge player's ability on performance for national teams. We have seen how Ronaldo, Rooney and many other quality players struggled in WC2010, almost all the Dutch players in this Euro and also players like Benzema.

so if modric goes to Real, i wonder what we will do with that money? previous experience is fergie will leave it as it is and just not spend it.

not alot of players left to go for at the top level of midfield players.

• Advertisement

From Sean o'sullivan
    "Speculation from Japanese journos that Kagawa's getting no.23. Not gonna lie, it would be hilarious if "TC23" lost the 23."

I wouldn't be adverse to Clev losing the 23 either, think he should be concentrating on proving himself before setimg up his brand an all that bull****.

Also if the Modric real deal is accurate with Sahin going the other way. I will cry. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so if modric goes to Real, i wonder what we will do with that money? previous experience is fergie will leave it as it is and just not spend it.

not alot of players left to go for at the top level of midfield players.

Thiago Alcantara
    Nuri Sahin
    Luka Modric
    Strootman
    Yann M'Vila
    Fellaini
    Sigurdsson
    Javi Martinez
    Eriksen
    De Rossi
    Joao Moutinho

Just a handfull of names off the top of my head of players we should be looking at. I'm sure there are a number of less well known players that would improve our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

First time I've ever seen or heard "TC23". It's 'T-Clev' around these parts.

If Nuri Sahin signs for Spurs I'm going to punch a child in the face.

Cleverly comes across as a bit of a knob to be honest...

he fell out with fergie over some new car that he bought and its the reason he wasnt played (even on the bench) for alot of games at the end of the season.

his website is cringe, would be some laugh if he lost the 23.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    First time I've ever seen or heard "TC23". It's 'T-Clev' around these parts.

If Nuri Sahin signs for Spurs I'm going to punch a child in the face.

His website: http://tomcleverley23.com/

You can see TC23 used there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thiago Alcantara
    Nuri Sahin
    Luka Modric
    Strootman
    Yann M'Vila
    Fellaini
    Sigurdsson

Javi Martinez
    Eriksen
    De Rossi
    Joao Moutinho

They are the ones in which we have small chance of getting imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Would love if we just went balls out and signed Modric, Fellaini and Dembele in one clean sweep. Midfield sorted for years then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

They are the ones in which we have small chance of getting imo.

Not Moutinho?

Thiago Alcantara
    Nuri Sahin
    Luka Modric
    Strootman
    Yann M'Vila
    Fellaini
    Sigurdsson
    Javi Martinez
    Eriksen
    De Rossi
    Joao Moutinho

Just a handfull of names off the top of my head of players we should be looking at. I'm sure there are a number of less well known players that would improve our midfield.

Yeah almost all of these players improve us but players like Eriksen, Thiago Alcantara, Sigurdsson are not CMs isn't it. They are best playing behind the striker.

Also would love to see Banega at United, good midfielder who is very comfortable with the ball.

Samich wrote: »

He has been injured though, good player, think he will do well if he does go to Arsenal, one negative was his reaction to getting subbed last night, but you can kinda understand as he surely wouldn't have wanted to come off in such a big game. Have seen similar from the likes of Rooney before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not Moutinho?

Been linked with him before and I dont think there has ever been anything but speculation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement