Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

International career

On Tuesday 14th August, Henriquez completed a medical and signed for record English 19 times champions Manchester United for a fee of £4 million. He passed his medical on this day alongside with Robin Van Persie. The move came a day after the signing of former player John O' Shea, who was signed for an initial £25 million which could rise to £30 million depending on the level of success United have.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Twitter saying RVP for £23mil done !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Leiva wrote: »

Oh well then it must be so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

22F7ADA0-450E-4050-BA2A-AC01A312FE2E-7929-000005BADBCD8A58.jpg

One for the future obviously, but exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hmmmmm, why I am I getting a sudden case of Déjà vu?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jones a Panic buy. Yeah, the same way Smalling was a panic buy then. Bought under similar circumstances with Arsenal chasing him.

Ronaldo was a panic buy I suppose, United needed a wide player, Arsenal again were after him, Ronaldinho deal didn't happen, Beckham gone so paid a lot for a young player.

Berbatov, city after him, Panic buy.
    Vidic, Fiorentina, Panic Buy,
    Valencia, Real Madrid, Panic Buy,
    Powell, half the EPL, Panic buy.

Keane, Blackburn, Panic Buy.

Plenty more i'm sure.

Typical Fergie. If he has proved anything its that he Panic buys all the time :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

everyone and their dog has been saying that on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is that coming from setanta, who took it i assume from the Sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I would almost countenance losing RvP to you if you sent Hernandez the other way. Plus £15m odd. Almost.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

cson wrote: »
    I would almost countenance losing RvP to you if you sent Hernandez the other way. Plus £15m odd. Almost.

£15m plus RvP for Chicharito?

Nah...

You can have Bebe for that though. He's the kind of technical player that Wenger likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Jones a Panic buy. Yeah, the same way Smalling was a panic buy then. Bought under similar circumstances with Arsenal chasing him.

Ronaldo was a panic buy I suppose, United needed a wide player, Arsenal again were after him, Ronaldinho deal didn't happen, Beckham gone so paid a lot for a young player.

Berbatov, city after him, Panic buy.
    Vidic, Fiorentina, Panic Buy,
    Valencia, Real Madrid, Panic Buy,
    Powell, half the EPL, Panic buy.

Keane, Blackburn, Panic Buy.

Plenty more i'm sure.

Typical Fergie. If he has proved anything its that he Panic buys all the time :-P

Cantona was a panic buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

redalan wrote: »
    Cantona was a panic buy

:confused:

really?

DM-ICE wrote: »

Plenty more i'm sure.

for what its worth, Chris Smalling is a far superior player to Jones is every aspect.

and for all those players you mentioned, ill raise you a Bebe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I really wish this transfer window would close.

I need football.

I need Bebe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I wonder is Fergie looking at moving Rooney on sooner than we would think - RVP, Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa, Henriquez, Keane.... Rooney to head next summer?

I hope he's not on the way out.

I would see other players leaving before him.

As some have said if we did get RVP Rooney would probably drop deeper.

In saying that in the past we've had a lot of fowards and they all stuck around.

York / Cole / Ole / Sheringham

We could do the same and have 2 sets.
    Ya never know whats in Fergie's mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

for what its worth, Chris Smalling is a far superior player to Jones is every aspect.

A team of Bebe's you say?

tumblr_m85oh1LM8h1qmcp2r.png

Also what is Arsene Wenger up to at all.

He knows RVP will leave on free transfer next season.

Is he trying to keep him till xmas and then move him on. His price will drop by half by then.

Get your money now Arsene Wenger -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really wish this transfer window would close.

I need football.

I need Bebe.

Yes. The sooner the season starts, the sooner those Sky Sports ''Aguuuerrrrooooo!'' ads will stop.

We've all seen them. They hurt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its not about the players ability as you or I see it today.

its about United buying a footballer when he is available to be signed. Of course the fact another club is interested is an influence on the transfer but if United/SAF really didn't think the time was right he wouldn't have signed him.

The word panic suggests all logic went out the window, signing Jones last summer was logical as the funds were available, other clubs were sniffing around, he would be an asset in the season ahead, the club were watching and interesting in signing him regardless of what other clubs were thinking. That is not Panic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

NeVeR wrote: »

Is he trying to keep him till xmas and then move him on. His price will drop by half by then.

This is what I wrote in the Arsenal thread and is my opinion why I think Arsenal shouldnt sell to you.

"Id personally reject the £22m from Man Utd and just keep RVP for one last season. Reasons being that im not convinced that the £22m will be re-invested back into the squad. Champions league qualification (or even Better) is worth more than £22m. At the end of next season RVP will be hitting 30, so if he leaves on a free so be it. Posters on the Utd thread have also said that the £22M fee is £15m or so upfront and the rest is based on appearances, if thats the case I definitely wouldnt be interested in selling.

If RVP stays I think we can push for the title if things go our way. I dont think there would be any danger in not getting the best out of him, because its in his interests to be playing well, if he wants one last big pay day with another club when he moves on a free transfer next summer.

The only negative that I could see is that in January he will be free to discuss his options with other clubs, which may prove disruptive further down the line."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Sky Sports reporting that that Danny has agreed a new 5 year deal. Fantastic news if true. (sorry cant post link atm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Cantona was a panic buy

no he wasnt, he was an opportunist buy

SK1979 wrote: »
    Sky Sports reporting that that Danny has agreed a new 5 year deal. Fantastic news if true. (sorry cant post link atm).

jaysus, the club certainly is busy at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

NeVeR wrote: »

The extent to which AW has control over the comings and goings in the club is way overestimated. The board sold Nasri out from under him last season by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

J. Marston wrote: »
    ''Aguuuerrrrooooo!'' .

Unnecessary and sore on the ears that. It was as if Tyler started saying Aguero, then thought he wasn't putting enough passion into it and changed the pitch mid flow. Annoying.

This is what I wrote in the Arsenal thread and is my opinion why I think Arsenal shouldnt sell to you.

"Id personally reject the £22m from Man Utd and just keep RVP for one last season. Reasons being that im not convinced that the £22m will be re-invested back into the squad. Champions league qualification (or even Better) is worth more than £22m. At the end of next season RVP will be hitting 30, so if he leaves on a free so be it. Posters on the Utd thread have also said that the £22M fee is £15m or so upfront and the rest is based on appearances, if thats the case I definitely wouldnt be interested in selling.

If RVP stays I think we can push for the title if things go our way. I dont think there would be any danger in not getting the best out of him, because its in his interests to be playing well, if he wants one last big pay day with another club when he moves on a free transfer next summer.

The only negative that I could see is that in January he will be free to discuss his options with other clubs, which may prove disruptive further down the line."

I agree with your points. But i honestly can't see Arsenal winning anything.

cson wrote: »
    The extent to which AW has control over the comings and goings in the club is way overestimated. The board sold Nasri out from under him last season by all accounts.

Surly the board see the good side in selling him now vs waiting... I can see a final hour bid on transfer deadline day been accepted. For which club I don't know.. Hopefully United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

:confused:

really?

In a way. At the time, United had gone a rake of games without scoring goals and Dion Dublin had broken his leg. Plus, the transfer was famously inititaed when Howard Wilkinson enquiring on the availability of Irwin. I rememebr Fergei doing an interview around the time saying that the strikers were, and I quote, "scoring in training".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

In a way. At the time, United had gone a rake of games without scoring goals and Dion Dublin had broken his leg. Plus, the transfer was famously inititaed when Howard Wilkinson enquiring on the availability of Irwin. I rememebr Fergei doing an interview around the time saying that the strikers were, and I quote, "scoring in training".

It was an opportunist signing alright. Leeds inquired about Irwin, SAF said not a chance but ask them how much for Cantona.

Cantona was causing alot of trouble in the leeds dressing room. Particularly with Lee Chapman. And Leeds were looking to get rid of him. Big mistake for them.

Thanks Mrs Chapman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/simon-english-if-manchester-united-shares-get-any-lower-expect-glazers-to-grab-first-chance-of-an-exit-3200629.html
    How low do Manchester United shares have to go before someone comes in with another takeover bid that the much (and fairly) maligned Glazer family decide offers a good chance to take the money and run?

New York outfit PrivCo says the stock is worth no more than $5 a share. That compares with a float price of $14 that only stayed at that level on the first day of trading thanks to emergency support from the brokers behind the deal.

There's still a long way to fall to meet the doomsday prediction, but funny things happen to stocks once sentiment turns defiantly against them.

Companies with strong management and supportive long-term shareholders can withstand such travails. Our job is to run the business, the stock market's job is to value it, the bosses can say. We are doing a better job than it is and will prove so in time.

This doesn't apply at Man U, a business that has seen onfield success continue despite turmoil off it. No one thinks the Glazers have any interest in football or the desires of the fans. They want to make cash, and have done so.

All of which gives the club's float a Facebook feel. Its expectation of future value is based on the 660 million fans it claims across the world.

These are mostly followers in Asia that buy knock-off replica shirts and cheer on Wayne Rooney via pirate TV signals.

Like Facebook clicks on anything but advertisements, it is hard to see how this fandom turns into big dollars for Manchester United.

At $5 a share, Man U is worth about £510m, which compares with debt of towards £400m.

If that were a house, you'd say it was heading towards negative equity. That's the point at which grateful owners get out to anyone willing to take the property off their hands. Now, there are complicating issues, such as the fact that the 10 per cent of equity floated has no voting rights, which makes a bid trickier to pull off. But that's not insurmountable, especially if the seller were keen to move on...

Two years ago The Red Knights, a group of wealthy fans that includes Goldman Sachs' Jim O'Neill, weighed a bid but were put off by the price.

For the next little while, the underwriters will keep putting a floor under the shares, supporting the price to avoid embarrassment. When this period lapses it will be more than of passing interest what happens to the stock price.

The Red Knights might have one eye on it themselves.

© Independent News Service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

SSN just said that Fletcher will be on the bench tonight. No link just yet as they literally just announced it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Sky Sports News just announced that Darren Fletcher is on the Bench tonight for the United match in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fletcher :D Hopefully, he's getting back to full health and can help out this season.

Hoping that this isn't a final farewell kind of thing tonight, where he'll go on for 5 minutes at the end, and retire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's a United match tonight? Guessing not our main team?

And maybe an oil barren will buy United and we can get some of that oil money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

It's a charity game . Yorke , Fortune and Clayton Blackmore are all on the bench .

It's a charity game . Yorke , Fortune and Clayton Blackmore are all on the bench .
    Meaningless so.

That is, the fact that Fletcher is on the bench is meaningless.

So is this Chilean kid any use or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

lordgoat wrote: »
    It was an opportunist signing alright. Leeds inquired about Irwin, SAF said not a chance but ask them how much for Cantona.

Cantona was causing alot of trouble in the leeds dressing room. Particularly with Lee Chapman. And Leeds were looking to get rid of him. Big mistake for them.

Thanks Mrs Chapman.

yes and no
    he never really excelled for us and he didnt have the quality of player around him at leeds like he went on to have with united.
    had he stayed with us, i dont think he'd be remembered as a PL great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So is this Chilean kid any use or what?

He is an exciting prospect, very fast, not sure how he fits into the squad at the moment though, a year in the reserves, or 6 months maybe, then a loan in January or next year I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Bebe is on fire so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Little unlucky froom Powell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Owen_S wrote: »
    Bebe is on fire so far.

No surprise there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Terrible from Scholes.

To those not watching, got the ball around 15 yards from his own goal. Proceeded to run back towards goal, got tackled around 8 yards out. Aberdeen buck finished it off.

One down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Bad mistake from scholesy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Scholes gave away a goal should of just got rid of it than shielding the ball.

• Advertisement

Taxi for Scholes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Why is Scholes playing?
    Should be rested for competitive games.

...same as Bebe

Eathrin wrote: »
    Why is Scholes playing?
    Should be rested for competitive games.

...same as Bebe

Resting players before the season even starts? Does not compute.

adox wrote: »
    Taxi for Scholes!

He had his own taxi service. Didn't do very well as the taxis were always around twenty minutes late.

Team according to Twitter

RT @ManUtdGlory2: United XI : De Gea; M Keane, Blackett, Thorpe, Rio (C), Powell, Anderson, Macheda, Bebe, Giggs, Scholes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement