Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

IvySlayer wrote: »

With the competition from Felex he'll have to shine.

Don't know if I'll sign for United.
    Alot of thier fans are very hard to please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Injuries too. Rooney will probably be due his annual foot injury soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

In England we headbutt! :P

Totally agree on the forwards. Who is the 4th though?

It was going to be Will Keane (or so Fergie said) Macheda seems to be going on loan again so not him anyway, maybe Henriquez if he does join this summer? Josh King is he isnt sent on loan would be an option, Petrucci if he doesnt go on loan could fill the shadow striker role I guess

Felexicon wrote: »
    Don't know if I'll sign for United.
    Alot of thier fans are very hard to please

Well, if you dont have faith in your own ability to succeed I wouldnt recommend it, not every player can handle the pressure of being at a club like United and the demands that come with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Some lads in the local questioning whether it was intended :confused:

Look at the way he shaped up before the flick, it was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Serious amount of utter ****e in this thread already...

Anyway, think that goal will do wonders for Danny's confidence, he seemed to be missing a few goals in his game for us towards the end of the season, hopfully that'll do the trick and he will kick on now, severely underrated outside old trafford IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Schism wrote: »
    Look at the way he shaped up before the flick, it was intended.

Yup i agree Schis. Convincing eejits is the biggest problem ;)
    kryogen wrote: »
    It was going to be Will Keane (or so Fergie said) Macheda seems to be going on loan again so not him anyway, maybe Henriquez if he does join this summer? Josh King is he isnt sent on loan would be an option, Petrucci if he doesnt go on loan could fill the shadow striker role I guess

Aye I really feel bad for Keane. It's sad to say but he may not get that chance again. Kiko is still young but I worry that he may not get an opportunity again and I dont like to engage in muppetry about signings so im not sure where it'll end up. Can see King being loaned and then sold or sold straight away fwiw

Well, if you dont have faith in your own ability to succeed I wouldnt recommend it, not every player can handle the pressure of being at a club like United and the demands that come with it.

Nah it's more the prawn sandwich brigade I'm worried about.
    You know those overly opinionated fans who really don't know anything about football.
    Wait of course you do

Jesus H Christ will you pair quit bitching? Or at least spare the rest of us and take it to PM's

You do know what to do when you see a post you have a problem with dont you Fenix?

Or you can put people on ignore if you do not wish to read their posts, the other chap is providing me with some amusement, I do not intend to de rail the thread any further with him, but you wanna get your knickers in a twist then report the posts or put me him or both on ignore and save your bitching.

• Advertisement

Aye I really feel bad for Keane. It's sad to say but he may not get that chance again. Kiko is still young but I worry that he may not get an opportunity again and I dont like to engage in muppetry about signings so im not sure where it'll end up. Can see King being loaned and then sold or sold straight away fwiw

From what I have heard Machedas loan move is with a view to a permanent move so that could be the end of him alright, terrible shame for Keane cause he had such a great season for the reserves!

Hopefully he will come back, cruciates are so hard to predict

You do know what to do when you see a post you have a problem with dont you Fenix?

Or you can put people on ignore if you do not wish to read their posts, the other chap is providing me with some amusement, I do not intend to de rail the thread any further with him, but you wanna get your knickers in a twist then report the posts or put me him or both on ignore and save your bitching.

It's like watching a couple argue, then all of a sudden they find a common enemy, stare into each others eyes and wear the face of each other.

Sorry Fenix. Won't happen again. What piece of United news is it ok for us to talk about.
    If we disagree or want to have a bit of a laugh should we go somewhere else.
    Is this what we have become.
    We lose out to City once and we lose our sense of humour.

Seriously though you are not a mod. Pull your neck in

Sacramento wrote: »
    It's like watching a couple argue, then all of a sudden they find a common enemy, stare into each others eyes and wear the face of each other.

Jaysus I wouldnt go that far! :eek:

:D

I have to say I genuinely laughed a good few times at some of the posts over the last few pages.

Maybe it's not the place but it's hardly any harm is it? Just a bit of banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

We could play 4-2-2-2

De Gea

----Rafael----Smalling----Vidic
    Evra----

Carrick
    Anderson

Kagawa
    Nani

Rooney
    Welbeck

or shaped like this

De Gea

Evra----

Carrick
    Anderson

Nani

Kagawa

Rooney

Welbeck

With Kagawa filling the right side when defending and Nani the left side.

Not sure why he'd be looking to drop Welbeck, Fergie is a fan of playing British players imo.

Sacramento wrote: »

Jaysus I wouldnt go that far! :eek:

:D

You never kiss me anymore

Not enough width in that line-up Samich. Fergie needs his wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Samich wrote: »
    We could play 4-2-2-2

De Gea

Evra----

Carrick
    Anderson

Kagawa
    Nani

Rooney
    Welbeck

That looks more like a stick man than a viable formation.

• Advertisement

Not enough width in that line-up Samich. Fergie needs his wingers.

Why go wide when you have just signed a player who likes playing through the middle?

Nani could stay out on the wing, but that formation could allow Nani, Rooney and Kagawa all the interchange position.

That looks more like a stick man than a viable formation.

Brazil played 4-2-2-2 or at least they used to.

Why go wide when you have just signed a player who likes playing through the middle?

Nani could stay out on the wing, but that formation could allow Nani, Rooney and Kagawa all the interchange position.

Good point, but it's leaving both Young and Valencia out. I'd find it hard not to play at least one of them, preferably Valencia when he's on form.

We could play 4-2-2-2

De Gea

Evra----

Carrick
    Anderson

Kagawa
    Nani

Rooney
    Welbeck

or shaped like this

De Gea

Evra----

Carrick
    Anderson

Nani

Kagawa

Rooney

Welbeck

With Kagawa filling the right side when defending and Nani the left side.

Not sure why he'd be looking to drop Welbeck, Fergie is a fan of playing British players imo.

Quoted to have better chance of Des seeing it and busting a cap in your ass!

As has been said, Fergie needs his wingers, he loves them, can never have too many :)

Fergie is a huge fan of English players, someone posted a transfer history thing a while ago on the other thread, the bias toward signing English players is unreal from United!

I think it is more likely that we see Hernandez move then Welbeck if it comes to it, both can be worked probably though, with Kagawa playing from the left and Rooney behind Welbeck, or vice versa

Good point, but it's leaving both Young and Valencia out. I'd find it hard not to play at least one of them, preferably Valencia when he's on form.

As someone said already, plenty to go around :D

Wouldn't expect Young to start in this formation or Valencia. Guess no one knows what Fergie is planning.

What are the odds of a plain 4-4-1-1? most likely?

De Gea

Rafael---Vidic----Ferdinand
    Evra

Carrick--Clev/Ando/Scholes----

Valencia
    Nani

Kagawa

Rooney

That combined with a 4-4-2 every now and again for the season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Some will go nuts at not even thinking of Valencia. Some will argue that Hernandez is deserving over Welbeck. Others will say Young should be starting. Its great to have these problems!

He might have a new formation down he wants to try out but I'd be surprised if it's one that is at the expense of width.

Pre-season will be interesting.

Brazil played 4-2-2-2 or at least they used to.

Brazil also had two of the greatest attacking full backs of all time, Cafu and Roberto Carlos. We have no one that comes close to them in an attacking sense.

Anyway as was pointed out already Fergie loves his wingers. I love them too. I'd have more confidence in seeing Nani on the wing crossing in than I would in seeing Evra/Jones/Rafael bombing down and attempting a cross.

Brazil also had two of the greatest attacking full backs of all time, Cafu and Roberto Carlos. We have no one that comes close to them in an attacking sense.

Anyway as was pointed out already Fergie loves his wingers. I love them too. I'd have more confidence in seeing Nani on the wing crossing in than I would in seeing Evra/Jones/Rafael bombing down and attempting a cross.

Fergie also loves his strikers ;)

And now he seemingly loves his playermakers :P

I think the biggest threat is through the middle. I'd say most central defenders would prefer crosses being swung in than thread through balls.

No they played it more recently with Maicon at RB and Bastos LB.

Rafael is good going forward and Evra is always up there even though his crossing is awful.

• Advertisement

The wingers will never be dropped while Fergie is in charge, Im sure of that, he has a thing about them, that they are ingrained in the club. A threat through the middle is what has been lacking the last while to compliment the great wingers that we have.

Hopefully Kag can provide that threat.

Brazils team against Ivory Coast at WC 2010

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Juan
    Bastos

Melo
    Gilberto Silva

Kaka
    Elano

Fabiano
    Robinho

Brazil also had two of the greatest attacking full backs of all time, Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

True. Maybe if Valencia had been better defensively when he was deployed at RB at the start of last season the 4-2-2-2 might have been more of a viable option.

As it stands though it'd put a lot of pressure on the full backs. (Poor old Evra)

Brazils team against Ivory Coast at WC 2010

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Juan
    Bastos

Melo
    Gilberto Silva

Kaka
    Elano

Fabiano
    Robinho

Thats two exceptionally attacking full backs right there, btw how did we get on to Brazil?

I should point out, that when they did play like that Robinho played wide, so did Elano I believe and Kaka was in behind Fabiano?

was more of a 4231 iirc

Thats two exceptionally attacking full backs right there, btw how did we get on to Brazil?

I should point out, that when they did play like that Robinho played wide, so did Elano I believe and Kaka was in behind Fabiano?

was more of a 4231 iirc

the point was made that 4-2-2-2 was more of a stick man than a viable formation so I said that Brazil played it.

Elano was out wide, and he's not a wide player. Think Robinho played up front though. Not sure now.

the point was made that 4-2-2-2 was more of a stick man than a viable formation so I said that Brazil played it.

Elano was out wide, and he's not a wide player. Think Robinho played up front though. Not sure now.

I cant fully remember the game myself, I know Elano is not a wide man, but I think its where he was put in to get him in the team. Was Dunga managing then?

If he was I am certain it was a 4231, he was a defense minded coach who always played with two holding players and one up top.

The formation did look like a stick figure looking back on it :D

That 4222 was mainly employed by Brazil when they were fitting in all the attacking stars, your Ronaldinhos and Kakas etc who were not exactly wide men but they had to be accommodated somehow! :)

Article on Dungas 4231 here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jun/24/the-question-brazil-4-2-3-1

The Magic Square was Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano and Ronaldo, Carlos Alberta Parreira coined the phrase. He had the 4222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

was more of a 4231 iirc

Robinho played out wide left but Elano didn't. He partially covered the space behind Kaka and offered some protection to Maicon but this was mostly done by Gilberto. I remember Maicon was poor that game, I think Robinho was too.

From reading the article, Brazilians referred to it as a diamond still which it wasnt, Dunga used Ramires a lot in the system which gave it more balance then Elano did in that particular game.

it was a 4231, in Brazil they saw it as Silva being the base of the diamond, Ramires being right and Melo being left, Kaka at the point and Robinho and Fabiano up front.

In reality though Robinho was always coming in from the left and Melo was only slightly more advanced then Silva. Ramires gave good balance to the right in attack and defense.

Much better then Elano for sure :)

Rafael is good going forward and Evra is always up there even though his crossing is awful.

He is good alright. I prefer him going forward more so than Jones. Evra has some nice touches and he finds himself in great positions at times. His composure is shocking though.

His crossing is very poor for someone who finds himself forward a lot. Compare him to G. Neville. Gary used to wrap his foot around the ball and he was nearly as good as Beckham at crossing for a while. Evra tries to cut across the ball and he puts a low enough trajectory on the ball. I can't fully remember but I don't think he ever really beats the first man with a cross.

I was half joking when I said that. It does look like a stick man, though.

In all seriousness, there isn't a hope of Fergie adopting that formation. We would get destroyed on the wings. Evra would probably get caught too far forward and Nani might not shift across to the wing to cover for him. Rafael has a tendency to rush forward into advanced positions and forget all about his defensive duties.

Valencia could be a very good option for that formation. Then have someone like Bale on the opposite side at LB. Both of them are at their best imo when attacking from deep. That could be something great to see.

Never a chance in a million years of it happening though. You'd be best off just trying it out on FM or FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

I realise I'm a bit late, but what the fcuk is a blaa?

I realise I'm a bit late, but what the fcuk is a blaa?

A bit of bread. She's lovely with a spread of butter in it. I used to live off them back in primary school. That was in Kilkenny. Supposedly they're only found in Waterford. I've never had any bother getting them round here though.

A bit of bread. She's lovely with a spread of butter in it. I used to live off them back in primary school. That was in Kilkenny. Supposedly they're only found in Waterford. I've never had any bother getting them round here though.

We give a few to ye Kilkenny heads. Keeps ye from coming over here looking for them ;)

Tony, some man for the sessions.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=861&filename=stqqs.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Wow, that is the complete opposite of how I imagined him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow, that is the complete opposite of how I imagined him.
    Yeah, I'd expect him to spend his holidays in the wilderness hunting bears and spear fishing.

Oh, and ffs lads, 4 news pages in less than 12 hours!? I clicked in this thread expecting some major signing or something, I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtgGF1fiDvRe4fU69JHuLtmrLZy_azGXHZxx8q9R-p8aY8fpIc

Rooney2_2780099.jpg

I wonder was the hair from that beard used for the transplant! :pac:

Gladly mate, it's a shame though, quite enjoyed some of your posts, few and far between though they've become. G'luck.

OT, see the Daily Fail have now linked us to Thiago Alcantara from Barca, I wont bother linking as its just bull****, though the headline reads "United eye Barcelona starlet Thiago as Modric hunt continues." Do they just pick a name out of a hat then that of a club from another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Fenix wrote: »
    Gladly mate, it's a shame though, quite enjoyed some of your posts, few and far between though they've become. G'luck.

OT, see the Daily Fail have now linked us to Thiago Alcantara from Barca, I wont bother linking as its just bull****, though the headline reads "United eye Barcelona starlet Thiago as Modric hunt continues." Do they just pick a name out of a hat then that of a club from another ?

Werent Utd linked with him last summer as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Werent Utd linked with him last summer as well?

Ya then he signed a new contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement