Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Moutinho has been excellent during this tournment but what has his form been like the past two seasons. Dont watch a lot of porto except for champions league games

He has been ok imo, he has not been anything special in my eyes. If you want to look from a purely statistical point of view he contributes very little in goals or assists.

He has played ok, good even, but he is playing in the best team in the league and it is hardly a great test of his ability.

I think he would be a good addition but is not worth the money that would cost to get him. He would not improve us as much as some people think imo. This tournament alone really shouldn't be colouring peoples opinions but it seemingly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

As I mentioned at the very start about all this talk, I think his form has been pretty damn good. Along with Hulk and Falcao, he was instrumental in AVB's Porto side that swept all before them in Europe and Portugal.
    He's very consistent, and even when he doesn't play great he's still decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

kryogen wrote: »
    I think he would be a good addition but is not worth the money that would cost to get him.

This is true, for the reasons you've already mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He has been ok imo, he has not been anything special in my eyes. If you want to look from a purely statistical point of view he contributes very little in goals or assists.

He has played ok, good even, but he is playing in the best team in the league and it is hardly a great test of his ability.

I think he would be a good addition but is not worth the money that would cost to get him. He would not improve us as much as some people think imo. This tournament alone really shouldn't be colouring peoples opinions but it seemingly is.
    not a fan of judging midfielders by their assists and goals. The player we need, needs to be cool under pressure and calm on the ball - and they will be expected to link the midfield to wings/forwards. We have the wingers and Kagawa as midfielders assists will be expected of, Carrick and his CM partner, imo, won't be expected to be the direct contributors; I would be looking for them to release the wingers and forward players quickly. Their primary focus should be the take the ball quickly from the defense and move it on. Assists and goals aren't what we should be looking at.

not a fan of judging midfielders by their assists and goals. The player we need, needs to be cool under pressure and calm on the ball - and they will be expected to link the midfield to wings/forwards. We have the wingers and Kagawa as midfielders assists will be expected of, Carrick and his CM partner, imo, won't be expected to be the direct contributors; I would be looking for them to release the wingers and forward players quickly. Their primary focus should be the take the ball quickly from the defense and move it on. Assists and goals aren't what we should be looking at.

Thats why I said if you want to look purely from a statistical point of view, I dont look at it like that but I am not sure how to articulate exactly why I find him to be not worth the 30 million+ it would cost to get him.

He is not that good doesnt seem to do the opinion justice

Thats why I said if you want to look purely from a statistical point of view, I dont look at it like that but I am not sure how to articulate exactly why I find him to be not worth the 30 million+ it would cost to get him.

He is not that good doesnt seem to do the opinion justice
    I actually think Cleverley could develop into the player we need beside Carrick - he just needs to keep his fitness up. At the same time I would like us to sign a player for that role so that we have options, and time for Cleverley to develop.

I actually think Cleverley could develop into the player we need beside Carrick - he just needs to keep his fitness up. At the same time I would like us to sign a player for that role so that we have options, and time for Cleverley to develop.

I agree with you, the tendancies he shows to come and collect the ball and look to distribute quickly are positive in that regard, and he always shows for the ball too when a team mate is under pressure. Big season for Cleverley, hope he stays injury free and stops doing whatever he has been doing to upset Fergie.

To be fair though, his form when he came back from injury wasn't great so I understand Fergie leaving him out. As I said, hopefully he gets a good run, injury free. It would significantly lessesn our need for a big signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

I agree with you, the tendancies he shows to come and collect the ball and look to distribute quickly are positive in that regard, and he always shows for the ball too when a team mate is under pressure. Big season for Cleverley, hope he stays injury free and stops doing whatever he has been doing to upset Fergie.

To be fair though, his form when he came back from injury wasn't great so I understand Fergie leaving him out. As I said, hopefully he gets a good run, injury free. It would significantly lessesn our need for a big signing.

Dont forget Ando was playing in the middle with him when he was playing so well in pre season last year and vs man city.Ando is a cracking player just injury prone i think kagawa is going to be one of the most important players in the team this time next year.

Dont forget Ando was playing in the middle with him when he was playing so well in pre season last year and vs man city.Ando is a cracking player just injury prone i think kagawa is going to be one of the most important players in the team this time next year.

I will never forget about Ando, and as long as he is still a United player I hope he succeeds, but they question mark grows each year.

I still have a little faith, not much tbh.

I just don't think Carrick fits the model for where Utd need to go. He has some great qualities but comes up short for me in the department of turning quickly on the ball and distributing just as fast. When he's put under pressure he panics and simply does not have the quickness to get the ball to another player before he's closed down.
    The best passing players don't suffer from this as much as he does. Don't get me wrong, he's an absolutely fantastic player capable of great things, can take apart the small teams if given the space. However, against the big teams he can be rendered ineffective when closed down quickly.

I would argue a midfield of Anderson and Cleverly could be the way of the future if they both stay fit, but god how this statement relies on them both staying fit....

• Advertisement

I think the start of the season when Ando and Clev were clearly first choice is a good indicator that Fergie agrees with that theory, it really does depend on the fitness of them though. Form too, they have to become more solid defensively to really cement themselves as a first choice partnership

I think the start of the season when Ando and Clev were clearly first choice is a good indicator that Fergie agrees with that theory, it really does depend on the fitness of them though. Form too, they have to become more solid defensively to really cement themselves as a first choice partnership

Agreed, I'd say Anderson could be one of the best ball chasers we may end up having coupled with his excellent passing ability. This hopefully has him end up as part of a great midfield pairing of himself and Cleverly for the next 8+ years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can you imagine United ringing up Everton.

"We are interested in your best defender Leighton Baines".
    "Oh and how much would you give us Fellaini for?!".

Poor Everton. They'd get sick if that happened. But it is Everton, and they can't turn down good money. They would get close to £40 million off United for them two. Could they be tempted.

We did give them Gibson...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Anderson has has more chances than my ex and Cleverly seems to be going down the same road. It's a shame but just knr of those things, we seem to be blighted sometimes. This is why a signing needs to be made, those pairs fitness cannot be relied upon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maybe Anderson, Cleverley, Jones are good enough options now Kagawa is at the club. But in an ideal world a player like Modric would be brought in. He is the type of player that can cover differant roles, he could play beside any of the other midfield players in a three or a two. Could even cover for Kagawa if he was unavailable.

Also if a player is brought in he needs to be able to play another position allowing room for likes of Tunnicliffe, Powell to get game time and develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

lordgoat wrote: »
    What other teams would not play a 5 man midfield against these good teams?
    Bit of a pointless argument to single united out like that.

Carrick bottom of the list in terms of who needs replacing in MF.

Ireland!!!!

So with just under 3 weeks until our first pre-season game anyone know when the Olympic squads will be announced. What players are likely to miss the start of the season? Giggs seems to be a certainty for GB along with maybe Evans and Amos. De Gea and maybe one or two of the twins also seems likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

s_carnage wrote: »
    Ireland!!!!

So with just under 3 weeks until our first pre-season game anyone know when the Olympic squads will be announced. What players are likely to miss the start of the season? Giggs seems to be a certainty for GB along with maybe Evans and Amos. De Gea and maybe one or two of the twins also seems likely.

Pearce has announced that Giggs is in the GB squad. The rest of the squad hasn't been announced yet. Beckham has been left out which is a little surprising but in a toss up between him and Giggs, Giggsy has to get the nod.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18624174

statto25 wrote: »
    Pearce has announced that Giggs is in the GB squad. The rest of the squad hasn't been announced yet. Beckham has been left out which is a little surprising but in a toss up between him and Giggs, Giggsy has to get the nod.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18624174

Looks like it was Richards who was brought in instead of Beckham. Strange after being left out of the Euro team Richards would agree to this but I suppose it might be his best chance of breaking back into the team. Think Giggs was always going to go regardless of Beckham being picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Alba signed for Barcelona today for €14million. Seems like a bargain based on his Euro performances.

To think Baines could cost around the same.. shudders!

Also from watching Madrid and Portugal in the Euros I wish we had Coentrao, excellent full back. I remember being linked to him a few years ago when Evra was in his peak and thinking what is the point! Wish we had of gotten him now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Coentrao and Lahm are so far ahead of everybody else by quite some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Jordi Alba is a fantastic prospect and an absolute steal at €14m, especially after the euros he's had. He was never going anywhere but barca though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Alba was superb last night as well, Evra is so far back now it's ridiculous.

Baines would be an instant upgrade, if it costs us £12-15m so be it, I know some are concerned about strengthening midfield, as am I, but I don't think addin to both positions is nessicarily mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

If we got Strootman for 15mil and Baines for 12mil and that was it for the summer I would be a very happy man u fan

Fenix wrote: »
    Alba was superb last night as well, Evra is so far back now it's ridiculous.

Baines would be an instant upgrade, if it costs us £12-15m so be it, I know some are concerned about strengthening midfield, as am I, but I don't think addin to both positions is nessicarily mutually exclusive.

Unless we just have 30 million or so to spend. If that was the case I would much prefer to spend the lot on a top class CM signing and not use half of the funds available on Baines. Can't understand why Fabio hasn't been giving more of a chance there when fit and sending him out on loan doesn't make much sense at all unless we are bringing someone else in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

United to play Barca again in a friendly in Gothenburg on August 8th.

http://www.teamtalk.com/manchester-united/7846910/United-face-Barca-in-friendly

• Advertisement

The pre season tour this year is a fooking joke.

China, South Africa, Norway and Sweden.

How about getting the squad fit for the start of the season rather than dragging them all over the globe.

Money making before the good of the team, as always. Infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

J. Marston wrote: »
    We did give them Gibson...

Exactly, so relations are already strained as it is :pac::pac::pac:

Lahm yes, Coentrao not so much, has had a very good tournament overall though. Lahm is in a league of his own though, he has been on top of his game for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lahm is the best right and left full in the world right now .

It's actually amazing how he switches sides so easily .

Lahm is the best right and left full in the world right now .

It's actually amazing how he switches sides so easily .

Irwin-esque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I have to disagree with all the Lahm love.

One of the best around no doubt, but after watching a lot of Lahm in the Bundesliga last year he's far from being miles ahead of the rest. He's similar to Evra in the fact that he can be caught out of position regularly.

It's a shame we've missed out on Alba because he looks an excellent prospect. It was amazing to see him still bombing up and down the left hand side last night well into extra time. Was always going to Barca though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

How about getting the squad fit for the start of the season rather than dragging them all over the globe.

i understand what you are saying, but its not that much different to normal years really.

sweden for example and norway are pretty close so i assume there being done during the same period of time. South Africa to China is a bit of a trek, but these things provide valuable funds and team bonding for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Not really fair to say we 'missed out' on Alba. I was under the impression from the end of the season he was Barca bound and heard nothing about us looking at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Not really fair to say we 'missed out' on Alba. I was under the impression from the end of the season he was Barca bound and heard nothing about us looking at him.

Well there was speculation that we were interested but nothing concrete. It seems there was only 1 club he was gonna go to.

Yeah, I think to use the term "missed out on" there would really have to have been some possibility of us getting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

When Barca want a former youth player back they normally get their way. No different here and it's usually at a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hope Rio brings his camera along again, loved watching his videos :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I've seen people moan in here before about having no money to spend. China is a potential goldmine, well worth swinging by on a pre-season tour. I'll agree Norway and Sweden are a bit random though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

OctavarIan wrote: »

I've seen people moan in here before about having no money to spend. China is a potential goldmine, well worth swinging by on a pre-season tour. I'll agree Norway and Sweden are a bit random though.

I think a pre-season tour to China could make sense in a commercial sense and football sense if it was just in China. But traipsing all over Africa Asia and Europe doesn't make sense from a footballing point of view in getting the team and squad ready for August for the English Premier League.

Another bad game to finish a poor tournament for Bastian. Maybe we should lob in a cheeky 20m bid now that his stock is low. On a serious note pretty shocked at Germany going out, both with how they performed and the almost total leaving out of Mario Goetze.

Although Kroos hasn't looked good this tournament he is definitely one to keep in mind for the future, could turn into a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pirlo...........................just saying.

• Advertisement

Giving Italy a 2 goal lead is suicidal, would take something very special to come back from there, I thought Kroos was ok in the second half, it didnt help him being played out of position for the whole game, Schwein is clearly not fit. He has been below par all tournament and constantly a doubt with this injury or that.

Reus started lively when he came on, really like him as a player, couldnt get anything going after that though. To be fair, Italy have defending down to an art form, they ****in love it! Pirlo has surely done enough now to secure the player of the tournament, he has certainly been the player of the knock outs anyway :) big games and big performances

Surprised Gotze was not used really, and even more surprised Gomez got back in the team, he really offers nothing from a footballing point of view and was never going to be any help in unlocking a defence like Italys. Wrong thread I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Kroos is already a great player IMO could go onto be an unbelievable player though .

Pirlo...........................just saying.

Looks like he has plenty of potential alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Sun are saying its toss u between ourselves and Madrid for Modric.

Same paper saying it was done deal few weeks ago.:rolleyes:

OctavarIan wrote: »

I don't mind them going abroad - but make it a proper tour to one place which can give the players some decent time in each place, so they can get some proper training going.

But we are going to China AND South Africa AND Norway AND Sweden.

It is just stupid.

Given that pre-season will also be affected by players going to the Olympics and general post-euro's rest, it really does look like we are going to have a shocking prep period for the new season.

I hate the pre season schedule, it is so important to hit the ground running in the league these days and players been flown all around the world is hardly the best preparation for it

Bookies think Berba is close to the door, 1/3 to be a Malaga player next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Bookies think Berba is close to the door, 1/3 to be a Malaga player next season

dawson_crying.gif

That gif cheered me right up about it!

Seeing that ******* face scrunch up and cry just made my day :)

• Advertisement

If he is leaving for Malaga I hope the club insist on all the money up front given the problems Malaga seem to have with paying their installments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement