Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

If Berba goes to Spain I can honestly see him scoring 15-20 goals no problem. Still a class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Spurs supposedly going after Moutinho is AVB is their manager, 30mil though is being quoted.

tbh, can't see Spurs spending that kinda money on a player, seeing as Modric is their current transfer record at 16mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Macca07 wrote: »
    Spurs supposedly going after Moutinho is AVB is their manager, 30mil though is being quoted.

tbh, can't see Spurs spending that kinda money on a player, seeing as Modric is their current transfer record at 16mil

well maybe they must replace one player with another..in sayin that though yes i think you are right, it would be more in their interest to buy 2, maybe 3 players with the Modric money. a striker, a cm and a center half of about 10 million each.

think of what we could have bought with the ronaldo money if we spent it properly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

well maybe they must replace one player with another..in sayin that though yes i think you are right, it would be more in their interest to buy 2, maybe 3 players with the Modric money. a striker, a cm and a center half of about 10 million each.

think of what we could have bought with the ronaldo money if we spent it properly :(

Or asked for Players in swap deal. They sold Sneijder, Rooben for around 30 Million. We could have got 2 players or at least Sneijder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

London: Sir Alex Ferguson made the Croatian playmaker a top target for the summer transfer window but the United manager has been stunned by Tottenham’s £40 million asking price.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is likely to accept a £35m bid but United feel the transfer would not make economic sense, even though Modric’s wage demands would be well within the Old Trafford club’s budget.

United have signed attacking midfielder Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund and Ferguson does not feel pressure to enter the transfer market, particularly as Paul Scholes has extended his contract to play next term.

There had been suggestions that Modric had already agreed personal terms with United but Spurs’ asking price was always likely to be a stumbling block.

Modric, 26, is also a target for Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Anzhi Makhachkala - but the midfielder looks increasingly likely to become Jose Mourinho’s big summer signing at Real Madrid.

Reports in Spain this week have suggested Modric’s representatives have already held talks with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez while the player will re-iterate his desire to leave Spurs in a meeting with Levy this week.

Spurs refused to sell Modric to Chelsea last summer but accept that the former Dinamo Zagreb man is almost certain to be sold this year after the north London club missed out on a place in next season’s Champions League.

“Here I am no longer able to fulfil my dream,” Modric told Marca this week. “I’m going to play in the Champions League - I want to win this competition.”

Tottenham would prefer to sell Modric abroad, rather than strengthen a Premier League rival, while there is a good relationship at boardroom level between Spurs and Madrid.

Discussions over the transfer of Modric to the Spanish capital have already taken place, with Spurs keen to negotiate a player exchange deal to meet their valuation. Players mentioned as possible makeweights include Nuri Sahin, Ricardo Carvalho and Lassana Diarra.

Mourinho has been tracking Modric and his Spurs team-mate Gareth Bale - who signed a new four-year contract on Wednesday - for the last three years and decided to make his move at the end of the season.

Modric impressed for Croatia at Euro 2012 and would add creativity to the midfield at the Bernabeu as they look to retain their La Liga title and win the Champions League next season.

Andre Villas-Boas, who is expected to be named as the new Spurs manager in the coming days, is a huge fan of Modric having tried to sign him for Chelsea last summer. The Portuguese, however, accepts the player’s desire to leave and is already involved in the search for potential replacements.

Spurs are expected to complete the signing of Gylfi Sigurdsson from Hoffenheim for £8m early next week but the Icelandic midfielder is not considered a like-for-like replacement for Modric.

Well thank fcuk for that imo, hopefully these rumours will be put to bed now, only worry would be that if he really was a target, the main target for Fergie that he will sign nobody for centre of midfield now cause, well thats what he does.

Of course it is only Marca generated speculation, but there seems to be something there regarding Madrid. Rumours of Chelsea getting interested again too

• Advertisement

Rooney topping the list of names missing the pre season tour to China and South Africa. The matches the lads are going to miss are a worry, but I am feeling ok that they won't be doing so much travelling.
    Wayne Rooney will be one of six players who will be absent from Manchester United's pre-season tours of South Africa and China.

The England international and his Three Lions team-mates Danny Welbeck, Ashley Young and Phil Jones, France's Patrice Evra and Portugal's Nani are all embarking on a three-week holiday after featuring at Euro 2012.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men are set to jet out to South Africa for two games in Durban and Cape Town next month, before moving on to China where they will face Shanghai Shenhua. But, with the six players not due back from their agreed breaks before the tour, it means they will all be absent.

Therefore Rooney, who was criticised for his lacklustre performances at the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, is only likely to get two matches - friendly games with Valerenga in Oslo on August 5 and Barcelona in Gothenburg on August 8 - under his belt before the Premier League campaign gets underway at Everton on August 18.

Veteran Ryan Giggs is also set to be missing from United's pre-season plans, although he will be gaining match fitness playing for Team GB at the summer's London Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rooney isn't fit, I don't see how going on holiday for three weeks is going to help that.

40 Million for Modric? I dont think even Madrid will pay that much. But after watching how he played against Spain, I think it will be very tempting for Madrid to sign him. He was able to retain possession even when under pressure and created few good chances.

I just hope we sign any good CM before the preseason stars. Would be great if we can sign Fellaini or someone who can dominate the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rooney isn't fit, I don't see how going on holiday for three weeks is going to help that.

Maybe he needs a rest? Even on holiday they'll still do light exercise with intense pre-season training after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Maybe he needs a rest? Even on holiday they'll still do light exercise with intense pre-season training after.

This.

Everyone needs a break. It may be just what he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

J. Marston wrote: »

Rooney is fit, he's just tired.

Quite happy with him taking 3 weeks off before pre-season, he definitely needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Players like Vidic and Anderson will need the game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The day Berba leaves is going to be a sad day. Frustrating at times, but capable of genius.

He should be remembered as an absolute quality player who left us with unbelievable moments.

Who could forget his skill vs West Ham..

The scissors/bicycle kick vs Sunderland...

Or the ultimate....

Top scorer in the season we won #19. Didn't complain last season despite constantly being overlooked. A class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Such a shame it didn't work out. More gutting than Veron, but only slightly. I really thought he'd be Cantona Mk II. Some people might say he was of course, in a manner of speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Finally got paid and bought the jersey. Its not as bad it first seemed all that time ago. I like it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Finally got paid and bought the jersey. Its not as bad it first seemed all that time ago. I like it. :)

It's actually growing on me too. Still think the away is dire though.

Sums up Berbatov for me. Effortless being the optimum choice of words here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Schism wrote: »
    Sums up Berbatov for me. Effortless being the optimum choice of words here.

He took down a ball against Liverpool a few seasons ago that was beyond amazing. Ball was lumped up top and he was being marked by Jamie Carragher. One touch and it just stuck to his boot.

He has the best first touch of any player I've ever seen. He is a magician with the ball. Hopefully he moves and gets on well with his new club. He's too classy a player to be sitting on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Berbatov got shafted out of the team too quickly in 10-11 for my liking, despite me being often lukewarm on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the most exercise he will do is handling around drinks
    Rooney has lost his pace because of his lifestyle
    i.e smoking & drinking every summer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Berbatov was a success imo, unlike Veron. Berbatov was bought to provide a new option to the squad.

I don't think he was ever signed to be a first choice player when everyone is fit but provide a new option for specific games. I know he cost a lot but the type of player he is was always going to cost a big fee. A cheaper player would not have provided the variety Berbatov gave or the ability to influence the team we saw in title win #19.

Veron was a disapointment as he was bought to be a starter and option no 1. As it went Veron just didn't suit the Premier League at that time. He would be amazing now, pity he wasn't born 6 or 7 years later.

Berbatov was bought to add a new dimension to the team when others were unavailable or when tactics needed changing. He was never supposed to be the corner stone of the side like Veron was.

I think Berbatov did amazingly well considering how he was played by SAF.

clearly i'm a big fan of the guy. I won't be sad to see him leave though, he deserves more than the oppertunities he got at United. I found his last few months at United to be the sad thing. I don't think he deserved to be completely put to one side and the way he was dropped from the Wembley final was a terrible moment. I think he is another victim of the Gaffers tendancy to put blind faith in some members of his squad and choose not to give others the same chances (i am fine with that as SAF has earned the right to be so selective).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't think he was ever signed to be a first choice player when everyone is fit but provide a new option for specific games.

Berbatov was bought to add a new dimension to the team when others were unavailable or when tactics needed changing. He was never supposed to be the corner stone of the side like Veron was.

For £30m plus?! You're kidding yourself tbh.

Berbatov is a very good player, but he was not a very good signing for Utd due to 1) the infrequency with which he was used 2) the amount paid for him vs the amount to be recouped.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Berbatov is a very good player, but he was not a very good signing for Utd due to 1) the infrequency with which he was used 2) the amount paid for him vs the amount to be recouped.

Ah I dunno, he did drag United to a title..worth it imo.

Ollie Norwood turned down Barnsley today. £400,000 fee apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18647077

He's still on the way out though. What do people think about him leaving? I haven't seen much of him to be honest but I've heard he was promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

It's actually growing on me too. Still think the away is dire though.

Never knew the away was out, what's it like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mr Alan wrote: »

Selective quote there tbf, I already outlined how I thought he was a success as he fulfilled the role expected of him and that to get a player with the qualities Berbatov had, costs that type of money

Well it used to cost that type of money. Others proved you can get a lot less for 30 million plus......

I wouldn't agree with your points as 1) he played frequently for his first three seasons helping win 2 premier leagues in that time
    2) when you sign a player aged 27 you don't expect to recoup a big fee at age 31 (not forgetting he only has 12 months left on his contract).

Sorry, I should say the proposed kit. :o

Sorry, I should say the proposed kit. :o

Oh what does that look like?

There was a blue one mocked up like the red with the same check pattern.

Seen a white one today with a line of red around the neckline, much nicer than the blue one knocking around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I made this for Berbatov a while ago. Makes me sad now that he's leaving - hope it makes one of you fúckers cry :o

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150091218932052

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I made this for Berbatov a while ago. Makes me sad now that he's leaving - hope it makes one of you fúckers cry :o

Alright Kev. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Alright Kev. ;)

Alright Mikey.

(Admittedly not as creepy when it's your Boards username)

Kinda sad to hear Watkins has stepped down, he has done plenty for the club over the years.

Also, didn't know Norwood rejected the contract offered by the club, strange goings on these days with our young player but fair play to him for taking the chance and dropping down, he had no future at the club really anyway but could have maybe secured a move to a better team had he stuck around. Wish him the best

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Kinda sad to hear Watkins has stepped down, he has done plenty for the club over the years.

Also, didn't know Norwood rejected the contract offered by the club, strange goings on these days with our young player but fair play to him for taking the chance and dropping down, he had no future at the club really anyway but could have maybe secured a move to a better team had he stuck around. Wish him the best

Norwood almost had no chance of making it at United, so good for him that he decided to join lower league team and settled there. It is much better for his progress than joining new team every other year.

Hopefully he will have career in PL.

Made me sad anyway, such a shame.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Alright Kev. ;)

All right Jason :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If only somehow, Berbatov's touch and skill was transferred onto Danny Welbeck, he'd be even more special of a player then. I'm really sad to see Berba off, it wasn't fair how he was just taken out of the equation altogether but his attitude to that whole scenario is one to be admired, if only more players were that classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If only somehow, Berbatov's touch and skill was transferred onto Danny Welbeck, he'd be even more special of a player then.

Welbecks touch is one of his strongest assets - its excellent. Its the finishing that he needs to work on more than anything

• Advertisement

Welbecks touch is one of his strongest assets - its excellent. Its the finishing that he needs to work on more than anything

Really? I always thought it was what let him down, mostly when he's dribbling, he runs the ball outta play or his touch is too heavy....well thats what I've seen anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

All right Jason :P

I wanna say Davey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kryogen wrote: »

Surprised this story has went under the carpet. We have a lot to thank this guy for. Hell of lot actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

baz2009 wrote: »
    I wanna say Davey?

Lisa iirc.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I wanna say Davey?

Barreh!
    Keno 92 wrote: »
    Lisa iirc.

Seany!! Give us ahug!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Aparantely Nick Powells 14 year old brother has joined our academy!

Hope Olly Norwood does well at Huddersfield, he wants first team football and to make his own name, I wish him all the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Really? I always thought it was what let him down, mostly when he's dribbling, he runs the ball outta play or his touch is too heavy....well thats what I've seen anyway!

Noooo. His first touch and close control are fantastic. Its why he suits a style of play based on short sharp passing, he can bring the ball under control and either move with it or play a quick pass. Again, he just needs work on finishing but thats something he can work on - knowing the positions to be in to score etc

Noooo. His first touch and close control are fantastic. Its why he suits a style of play based on short sharp passing, he can bring the ball under control and either move with it or play a quick pass. Again, he just needs work on finishing but thats something he can work on - knowing the positions to be in to score etc

Ooooh, maybe I just focused on a few minor occurrences instead of all the other times! my bad. Curious to see what Ferguson does with him now Kagawa is here (please god Kagawa won't be played on the left!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

So what matches (keeping potential fixture changes in mind) are people going to? Trying to have a good look now myself and decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Has something happened or been progressed with berba leaving? A good few of ye talking about it but ive seen nothing anywhere else. i really hope he stays, i cant see us signing another striker. saying that, do ye thibk perhaps powell is considered a striker or an attacking midfielder?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement