Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has something happened or been progressed with berba leaving? A good few of ye talking about it but ive seen nothing anywhere else. i really hope he stays, i cant see us signing another striker. saying that, do ye thibk perhaps powell is considered a striker or an attacking midfielder?

I also had wondered this,there has been no offical talk regarding Berba though Malaga are assumed to be in pole position by most here and press rumours.
    Would Marcheda,Wellbeck,Rooney and Chico be enough next year?Considering Rooney is likely to be up front with Young and Kagawa rotating the No. 10 role,he will be get more rest time than he would normally get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

dahat wrote: »
    I also had wondered this,there has been no offical talk regarding Berba though Malaga are assumed to be in pole position by most here and press rumours.
    Would Marcheda,Wellbeck,Rooney and Chico be enough next year?Considering Rooney is likely to be up front with Young and Kagawa rotating the No. 10 role,he will be get more rest time than he would normally get.

I don't think that there would be a complete abandonment on 4-4-2. In some games I'd fully expect Welbeck/Hernandez to feature.

I don't think that there would be a complete abandonment on 4-4-2. In some games I'd fully expect Welbeck/Hernandez to feature.

I would hope not too!4-4-2 works well with what we currently have,getting Kagawa just gives us more creativity using him where we used Rooney last couple of seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I agree with that, I think we will see some 442 this season also because Hernandez as a lone striker will not work at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Look the farmers son in postman pat is Leighton Baines!

http://m.lockerz.com/s/220107359

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Welbecks touch is one of his strongest assets - its excellent. Its the finishing that he needs to work on more than anything

And if he does become a more clinical finisher, then he will simple be immense.

The only worry I have for him is that finishing, though something that can improved over time, is essentially a natural ability that separates the brilliant ones from the very good.

Little piece on Maurice Watkins here
    Director leaves Manchester United board after 28 years

Maurice Watkins, who began work with the Red Devils in 1984, has been an instrumental figure in the development of the club after helping to bring Sir Alex Ferguson to Old Trafford

Maurice Watkins CBE is to step down from the board of directors at Manchester United Football Club Ltd after dedicating 28 years' worth of service to the club.

Mr Watkins first joined the board in 1984 after being invited by then chairman Martin Edwards. He teamed up with Edwards, Bobby Charlton and Michael Edelson to bring Sir Alex Ferguson in to replace Ron Atkinson as the club's manager in 1986.

Mr Watkins, who was also a director of Manchester United PLC from 1991-2004, told ManUtd.com: "It has been a privilege to serve on the board of that great institution which is Manchester United Football Club, for nearly thirty years and to work with so many committed individuals during that time.

"I shall continue to support the Club in the future both on and off the pitch wherever I am able to do so."

David Gill, United's Chief Executive, announced the news by telling the website: "Maurice has been a great servant of and adviser to Manchester United and I'd like to place on record my thanks and that of the other board members for the time and effort he has devoted to that task.

"He has been a source of calm, measured advice and someone who always has the genuine interests of the Club at heart.

"Although Maurice is leaving the board, in his role as Joint Senior Partner of Brabners Chaffe Street, he will continue to act as one of the Club’s advisers going forward.”

How come Le Pog has not officially left yet? I know he can't officially transfer till July, but with all the ****e that has bewritten in the media you would think this situation would have been clarified by now by either himself or the club.

Just came across this and it got me thinking about him again
    Paul Pogba: Why a Move to Juventus Won't Benefit Young Midfielder

The last we heard of Paul Pogba, the 19-year-old was reportedly set to sign with Juventus and leave behind Manchester United.

Perhaps he was upset that he only saw seven appearances last season, or he didn't like United's contract offer. Hell, maybe he didn't care for England. I don't know, and none of it is particularly relevant if he is in fact set to make the move to Turin.

Ultimately, Pogba would have had a much better chance at frequently cracking the lineup in Manchester than he figures to in Turin. If he sees any more than the seven appearances he got with the Red Devils this year, I'd be shocked.

Perhaps Pogba is resigned to his fate as a reserve and sees a more promising future in Turin. Perhaps we'll find out the money was simply too much for him to resist.

But if this is about immediate playing time, I have to think his chances would be better with Manchester United next season. Once a contract is official, I guess we'll know for sure.

I agree with the crux of this theory, that he will find it harder to break into the Juve team.

If he does sign for Juve I expect to see him loaned out to Bologna or someone where he will be guaranteed to play and maybe push for a spot int he squad the year after

Edit: Since Juve have already or will be already strengthening the midfield with some quality players I find the move even more baffling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The whole Pogba situation pisses me off no end. Why didn't Fergie give him more of a chance, especially after what I thought were some quite impressive cameos?

What's the betting that if we sign an exciting 19/20 year old midfielder we'll end up paying him similar wages to what Pogba was pushing for anyway.

I was just as put out by the whole Morrison fiasco but upon reflection it seems it was a good call. That lad appears destined to be the next Joey Barton.

I really really hope we don't regret letting Pogba go though :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Let Pogba go?

He is a reserve player and out of contract.

You don't play a guy because he demands it, you play him because he is ready to make a contribution.

Anyway, I really don't think he is leaving because he didn't get enough game time this season. He appears to have other reasons for wanting to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Your talking about a player with potential ... Yeah that's it, if he's trying to hold the club to ransom before really kicking a ball in the first team.. Cheerio.

I wish it worked out different but I have zero respect for the way things were done.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Let Pogba go?

He is a reserve player and out of contract.

You don't play a guy because he demands it, you play him because he is ready to make a contribution.

Anyway, I really don't think he is leaving because he didn't get enough game time this season. He appears to have other reasons for wanting to leave.

Like what?

I don't think he made any demands, nothing like that came out anyway and I would argue that he was ready to make a contribution, Fergie made a few mistakes last season and I think his not giving Pogba a few more minutes of game time was one of them, no way to know if I am right or not of course.

To hear how highly he is spoken of by Fergie and the staff/players etc and then to see players like Rafael and Park get chosen to play centre midfield ahead of him couldn't have been easy.

More interested to hear what you have heard are his other reasons for wanting to leave if not game time?

Fenix wrote: »
    Your talking about a player with potential ... Yeah that's it, if he's trying to hold the club to ransom before really kicking a ball in the first team.. Cheerio.

I wish it worked out different but I have zero respect for the way things were done.

There has been no suggestion he is trying to hold the club to ransom, there has been talk from Fergie (who lets face it, isn't always 100% honest) that his agent was being difficult alright. Also reports that he was told to sign the contract he had been offered or he would never play for the club again.

I doubt either side are squeaky clean, they rarely are in contract discussions. The mentality of the lad has never been in question though. I still can't make sense of his move to Juve if it happens, he has a better chance of playing at United I think. Or at least he has as much chance of going on loan from Juve (extremely likely) as he does going on loan from United if he were to ask I'm sure

If you need evidence of United not being squeaky clean all you have to do is look at the way they poached him in the first place a few years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Rumors of Baines starting up again on twitter, (I know, I know) but even tweets from Paddy Power and Howard Nurse although he said there's nothing official yet...

Would like to see someone challenge Evra for his place, I've been on his case for a while now, but would much rather see Fabio get more game time at left back

• Advertisement

Rumors of Baines starting up again on twitter, (I know, I know) but even tweets from Paddy Power and Howard Nurse although he said there's nothing official yet...

Would like to see someone challenge Evra for his place, I've been on his case for a while now, but would much rather see Fabio get more game time at left back

What do people think actually happens Evra if Baines does come? Baines is not coming to sit on the bench, some waste of money if nothing else if he is, and Evra will not be happy to sit on the bench either one would imagine.

I really really hope the club do not sign Baines, unless Evra is leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Yeah, agree with Kryogen, would hate to see either one sit on the bench, Baines because he's too good/expensive and Evra, because I reckon that if he wasn't happy, he'd be a very disruptive force in the dressing room.

I reckon Baines could be a very good player for us, better than Evra has been of recent..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kryogen wrote: »
    More interested to hear what you have heard are his other reasons for wanting to leave if not game time?

I have not heard more, but like yourself I don't see how he is going to get more first team opportunities at Juve than he would at United. So I think he must have other/additional reasons. Obviously I could be way off!

Considering this was his first season involved in the first team set up he would/could not have expected to feature much more than he did. Even if he had another 5/6/7 appearances I can't see how it would have made a huge difference to his decision to take Juventus' offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

If Baines comes I hope he gets right into the 1st team. Difficult to leave Pat out but though he's already hit his prime, Baines is quality.

Eathrin wrote: »
    If Baines comes I hope he gets right into the 1st team. Difficult to leave Pat out but though he's already hit his prime, Baines is quality.

If Baines does come in he has to go in to the first team, how could you justify paying 15 million or so for a left back if he is not supposed to be the first choice?

• Advertisement

If Baines does come in he has to go in to the first team, how could you justify paying 15 million or so for a left back if he is not supposed to be the first choice?

Chelsea do it with strikers and that:P

Chelsea do it with strikers and that:P

Of course, and if we were a billionaire funded club I'm sure we could to, but we are not, and to be honest I am happy we are not!

Of course, and if we were a billionaire funded club I'm sure we could to, but we are not, and to be honest I am happy we are not!

I'm proud we are not, though ashamed of our massive debt which if we're being fair was unjustly put on us.

I'm proud we are not, though ashamed of our massive debt which if we're being fair was unjustly put on us.

Course it was, but other then that I have no issue with the ownership really. They have been good overall but until the debt is removed they will always be viewed in a very bad light.

Hopefully they will use the money from the upcoming share sale to pay it off. It is the only logical way to do it anyway

Decent little read on 3 of the targets (that we mention anyway) for Uniteds midfield
    Recently it's been more common to see strikers being linked to Manchester United, but do United need another forward?

For example, people want Jan Klass Huntelaar, but at 28, the only other forward he would be younger than is the departing Berbatov, 31. We don't need to look for a fourth striker and we have Will Keane, though injured, rising up the ranks.

I'd prefer United to look at further reinforcing the midfield. Someone who can play behind Kagawa and alongside either Carrick, Scholes or even Modric, possibly. These three players are either too slow, too small or can't tackle. Darren Fletcher's football future is in doubt and I'd prefer Phil Jones' focus to be on becoming the world's best centre back. So, let's take a look at three players that can add some power and grit to United's midfield.

The obvious choice, with his reputation and proven talent, for the defensive midfielder role is Daniele De Rossi. Although pricey and unlikely to wear the red of United, the Roman is exactly the type of player United need and have lacked since the departure of Roy Keane. He has expressed a desire to play in the Premier League and with his complete set of skills, De Rossi can easily shift from defence into attack. With his no-nonsense approach to defence and high intensity levels, United can be driven on by his passion and dominate games.

Although he is prone to diving, I'm sure the United faithful would love to see him bully opposition all over England, and Europe, into submission while Kawaga and Rooney wreak havoc further up the field.

The next player to highlight is the Frenchman Yann M'vila. Although seemingly London-bound, it looks as though the Gunners have gone cold on any potential deal due to disciplinary issues. Should this deter United though? I'm not saying United have lower standards but has every Red Devil been an angel both on and off the field? Both Roy Keane and Eric Cantona had their problems both before and during their times at United. In fact, I'd rather not have a defensive midfielder who didn't have disciplinary issues. Ferguson managed to get the best out of Keane and Cantona and I'm sure he can do the same with M'vila.

The 21-year-old can deliver crunching tackles and is capable of hitting long balls towards the front men, either on the ground or over the top. Though he can be a little slow and will need time adjusting to the pace of the English game, I'm sure he would be a great addition to United.

The last player to look at is Kevin Strootman, who has been linked with United all summer. The young Dutchman is an incredible talent who can offer plenty to the Red Devils. He can break up opposing attacks with well-timed challenges and then surge up the field in support of the front men. He is at an age where United can mould him into the player they want. He's comfortable on the ball and has a powerful left foot.

Within the United shape, he would need to be more wary of playing to high up the field and will need to bring some aggression to his game. But I can see him developing into an excellent midfielder in the near future.

Of course there are plenty of other players who could play in a defensive midfield role, but these are the three I have identified as the best suited for Manchester United.

I had forgot M'Vila was only 21! If he can be stolen from under Arsenals nose he might be a very good signing, my realistic preference is for Strootman, have been talking about how De Rossi would be pretty perfect for Uniteds midfield for years now and it doesn't seem to be getting any closer to becoming a realistic target!

Been linked with a move for Cabaye today also, I would be a little surprised but think he would be a good addition also. News too that Everton have put a price on Baines head of 17million, if the club pay 17million for him I may vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Happy transfer window opening day everybody :)
    Hope ye have all been good boys and girls and get what you wished for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

cambo2008 wrote: »

Santa has not arrived to Manchester United since 2008.

He is badly overdue.

He is badly overdue.

Ahem

Santa has delivered Valencia, Hernandez and Smalling to name but a few since 2008 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

News too that Everton have put a price on Baines head of 17million, if the club pay 17million for him I may vomit.

If we pay anything more than 12 or 13 million and then not sign anybody else, then i thinknill be vomiting also.

• Advertisement

Ahem

Santa has delivered Valencia, Hernandez and Smalling to name but a few since 2008 :p

Excellent players, but they were your small toys that actually turned into your favourite toy.:D

Now we want Santa to give us that toy we have always wanted for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He is badly overdue.

I know Anderson can be a bit tubby at times, but thats going too far.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't care if we do or do not sign Baines. I think he'd improve the squad, is better than Evra, but think Evra might regain some form next season.

However, if we don't sign a central midfielder this summer, considering the fact that we actually need 2 of them, I think we've zero chance, and I mean zero, of winning anything. City will be better next season, another year to gel combined with another round of strengthening. Chelsea will certainly be better. Right now, I'd expect both of them to outperform us.

This is going to be a stressful summer.

PHB wrote: »
    I don't care if we do or do not sign Baines. I think he'd improve the squad, is better than Evra, but think Evra might regain some form next season.

However, if we don't sign a central midfielder this summer, considering the fact that we actually need 2 of them, I think we've zero chance, and I mean zero, of winning anything. City will be better next season, another year to gel combined with another round of strengthening. Chelsea will certainly be better. Right now, I'd expect both of them to outperform us.

This is going to be a stressful summer.
    Hopefully we get our business done and dusted as early as possible.
    I hate this time of year and it gets worse with each season.I would feel the same about Baines,he would add a bit extra to the team but only if he is an addition to a couple of cm players or one at least.

It does seem that Baines is looking ever likely so that leaves just 1 more to come in as David Gill had said recently that 2 were hopefully to come in.
    1 more signing and i would think that will be either Modric or Strootman though Stootman talk has gone very quiet lately.
    Glad July 1st has come so the Pogba suitation has been resolved in full now and we can move on from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

To be incredibly harsh, Evra has been a liability last season and to a lesser extent the previous season, I used to consider him first name on the team sheet, now I hold my breath any time the opposition go down the right or cross it to his man.

Id be glad to sign Baines. I've said before, instant upgrade to the team.

Also, people saying Fergie got it wrong re Pogba. I'm fairly sure the man knows what he's doing... If he rated him that highly he would have paid his muppet of a an
    Agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The twitter machine says we are gonna bid 30 million on moutinho

One central midfielder would placate me, two are still required I feel as Fletcher has more important things then football to be concerned about, to have to rely on Scholes and Giggs is something the club/manager should be ashamed of, and Clev and Ando both have queestion marks over fitness/form to varying degrees.

We have one Mr Dependable in midfield, and as dependable as he is doing a job against the majority of the teams he can also be depended upon to have very little impact in the bigger games when he is pressured consistently. If, and touch wood this will not happen, but if Carrick was to pick up any sort of lengthy injury what the hell is the back up plan then?! We have been so lucky with him regarding injury, but as seen with the likes of Gerrard/Lampard etc when you get older you become more susceptible to injury even if you have a pretty clean record up to that point.

Two midfielders are certainly needed imo, but 1 will do me and I will just pray for a luck with Ando and Clev

dahat wrote: »
    Glad July 1st has come so the Pogba suitation has been resolved in full now and we can move on from it

Has there been official confirmation?

Fenix wrote: »

Also, people saying Fergie got it wrong re Pogba. I'm fairly sure the man knows what he's doing... If he rated him that highly he would have paid his muppet of a an
    Agent.

Fergie is hardly infallable, has got plenty wrong in his time and has shown that his stubborness can hurt the team too. I will always keep the faith in him, but questioning him is allowed. He was the one who was talking up Pogba and saying how much he wanted him to stay and all that. He didn't show that.

• Advertisement

Can't see it happening, read that this morning but didn't think it was worth repeating, the minimum they will accept is certain to be over 30million and that is just too much for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The only team that I could see buying him would be Chelsea or Spurs (if Mordic departs or don't get Sahin in a swap deal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

This "adding to the squad" nonsense really bugs me. Our squad now is as good as any in europe, we have depth and are able to cope with injuries better than any other team.

our first 11 is the problem..it needs strengthening with at least 2 world class players if not 3. I hope kagawa is one and we then sign 2 more. signing a squad player is not good enough any more, we already have 15 or 16 of them.

I agree with that, the squad is very strong, the first 11 needs an upgrade big time

Don't see any harm in signing squad players of a certain age a la Jones and Powell.
    What other squad players are we supposedly interested in?

The point being that the squad is largely stocked full now and that extra bit of quality is whats needed now rather then more potential

• Advertisement

But we are not being linked with any squad players as of yet are we?
    Just came across as though he was complaining about someone we were in for.

But we are not being linked with any squad players as of yet are we?
    Just came across as though he was complaining about someone we were in for.

Fair point, Powell is certainly a squad player at best right now though, Kagawa should be going straight in to improve the first 11.

Clyne would be classed as a squad player wouldn't he?

As I said, the squad really is brimming with young potential right now so maybe thats why we are not being linked to many this year :)

Do we need to buy striker if/when Berba leaves?

Of all the players in here not seen bad word mentioned about Strootman. Would people be happy if he was only other purchase this summer? or do we still need another CM. I take the former fwiw .

Do we need to buy striker if/when Berba leaves?

Of all the players in here not seen bad word mentioned about Strootman. Would people be happy if he was only other purchase this summer? or do we still need another CM.

I take the former fwiw.

I'd be happy with the signings of Kagawa and Stootman and the potential in Powell, but with Fergie saying Fabio is going on loan/likely to go on loan a left back must be getting looked at by him to bring on board.

I'd be delighted with Strootman, have high hopes for him. I don't think we need a striker because we have Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and Keane will be 4th choice when he gets fit I'm sure, he was going to be making the step up anwyay according to Fergie so hopefully he does make a full recovery. With players like Kagawa, Young and Nani to back up a striker we should be fine, Powell can even play as a striker or AMC too so I think we are set for that position, some of the younger guys could fill in if disastor happens.

Having no cover for Rooney is a worry, but with Kagawa providing creativity through the middle if Rooney does get injured the loss will be offset somewhat

I'd be happy with the signings of Kagawa and Stootman and the potential in Powell, but with Fergie saying Fabio is going on loan/likely to go on loan a left back must be getting looked at by him to bring on board.

I'd be delighted with Strootman, have high hopes for him. I don't think we need a striker because we have Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and Keane will be 4th choice when he gets fit I'm sure, he was going to be making the step up anwyay according to Fergie so hopefully he does make a full recovery. With players like Kagawa, Young and Nani to back up a striker we should be fine, Powell can even play as a striker or AMC too so I think we are set for that position, some of the younger guys could fill in if disastor happens.

Having no cover for Rooney is a worry, but with Kagawa providing creativity through the middle if Rooney does get injured the loss will be offset somewhat

If Strootman was our only other buy I be happy.

Like to get Baines, but no more then 12-13 million. He be great for set pieces. A area that needs huge improvement. (& for financial reasons)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement