Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lads can somebody please back up this "greatness" that Baines supposidely has from set plays?he scores a few penos but his free kick and assists stats are poor in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lads can somebody please back up this "greatness" that Baines supposidely has from set plays?he scores a few penos but his free kick and assists stats are poor in my opinion.

He has had 22 assists over past 3 seasons in PL alone and 10 goals. Thats not bad for LB.

Is he worth 20 million? No freaking way.

But if Everton need to sell and we can get him for the amount I said already he be worthwhile purchase.

CM gets top priority over any other position. I wont be happy till we purchase a CM, but i would welcome Baines if it did not come at the cost of CM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Where are all the Sneijder rumors? Would have thought they'd have been popping up again this summer...

Where are all the Sneijder rumors? Would have thought they'd have been popping up again this summer...

He just on his way over there now for his medical.

He was seen on the P967 flight from Milan to Manchester:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was looking around there about M'Vila and it turns out that he has been in a lot of trouble. Supposedly he has been arrested 3 times, the most recent of which was 2 months ago for assaulting a 17 year old. Then there were rumours that he was causing a bit of a nuisance in the French camp. The last incident seems to have led to a suggestion that Wenger is going to pass on him.

If he's disruptive then I can't see us going for him. Last thing Fergie wants is another Ravel Morrison on his hands, in and out trouble like a yo-yo. Add in the fact that he'd cost around £17 million and I can't see it, no matter how talented he is.

Will the fact we are going to other side of world for Pre season tours be hindrance in signings too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Will the fact we are going to other side of world for Pre season tours be hindrance in signings too?

The squad isn't going anywhere for the next fortnight and Fergie likes to get his business done ASAP. If we are going to sign any other player('s), I'd expect it to be with the next week.

Also, are people honestly still talking about Sneijder? Tell me it's a windup? Same peeps saying we signed Kagawa to sell shirts in Japan?

Fenix wrote: »
    The squad isn't going anywhere for the next fortnight and Fergie likes to get his business done ASAP. If we are going to sign any other player('s), I'd expect it to be with the next week.

Also, are people honestly still talking about Sneijder? Tell me it's a windup? Same peeps saying we signed Kagawa to sell shirts in Japan?

2 weeks is no a lot of time.

Not for Manchester United anyway.

Hopefully we have things sorted before we go. Our at least SAF is working on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He has had 22 assists over past 3 seasons in PL alone and 10 goals. Thats not bad for LB.

Is he worth 20 million? No freaking way.

But if Everton need to sell and we can get him for the amount I said already he be worthwhile purchase.

CM gets top priority over any other position. I wont be happy till we purchase a CM, but i would welcome Baines if it did not come at the cost of CM.

/Pedant hat on/

He actually has 21 assists in the 3 years, but just 2 last year. :D

/pedant hat off/

How many of the goals have been penalties also? We dont need a penalty taker.

I agree with Evra's recent form Baines would be an upgrade, but not as much as is being made out, and if Evra can get back to form he blows him out of the water.

If he was available for a reasonable fee, Id be for it, but not for the money it will cost , no way shape or form

Maybe Baines had a couple of good years regarding assists and last season was a sign of his true level regarding that :p

2 weeks is no a lot of time.

Not for Manchester United anyway.

Hopefully we have things sorted before we go. Our at least SAF is working on it..

David Gill handles the negotiations anyway so it won't impact on that side of things, the only problem is that player not getting a full pre season with the club. And as much as I dislike the amount of travelling it is a great way for the squad to bond and for new players to bed it.

Wouldn't be concerned if nobody is signed before they leave though.

Its all in big Daves hands!

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    /Pedant hat on/

He actually has 21 assists in the 3 years, but just 2 last year. :D

/pedant hat off/

How many of the goals have been penalties also? We dont need a penalty taker.

I agree with Evra's recent form Baines would be an upgrade, but not as much as is being made out, and if Evra can get back to form he blows him out of the water.

If he was available for a reasonable fee, Id be for it, but not for the money it will cost , no way shape or form

Maybe Baines had a couple of good years regarding assists and last season was a sign of his true level regarding that :p

Oh I am not suggesting Baines is some sort of genius we badly need.

But we have been pretty **** from set pieces over past few seasons lets face it. How many times have we scored from Corner kicks over last few years? Not even getting past first man. Baines at least can produce better ball into box.

I love Evra. Think some the criticism has been harsh on him at times, but thats not to say we could not do with decent backup either.

Like say once we get CM thats all that matters. I wont lose any sleep if Baines does not come to OT, but if we dont sign Top notch CM then.................I will be upset, very very very upset.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

With us being linked heavily to Baines for a while now and Fabio waiting in the wings, does anyone else get the feeling that Evra is being squeezed out? That he's had his time?

He is 31 and a 27 year old Baines would do nicely until it's evident whether Fabio can be first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

To be honest, if we are looking for a new left back the last thing we should be doing is trying to buy him from Everton who will squeeze every penny out of us for a good but not great left back.

There are alternatives across Europe which could be brought in for cheaper.

Alternatively we give Evra this last year, and then throw in Fabio in a similar way that Welbeck was properly introduced.

Who would you have on your list of alternatives?

I had Alba but he was pretty much crossed out straight away
    Cissokho
    Alaba
    Willems maybe?

However realistic or unrealistic they are we certainly dont have much chance of getting Schmelzer who I think is quite good and would be a top target for me for a first choice left back

I'd give Fabio the games if he is to be the future tbh, can't do him any harm.

If the goal is to loan Fabio out for a year and have him come back and be the number 1 then spending big on a left back is completely stupid and I don' think they will do that at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Decent little read on 3 of the targets (that we mention anyway) for Uniteds midfield

I had forgot M'Vila was only 21! If he can be stolen from under Arsenals nose he might be a very good signing, my realistic preference is for Strootman, have been talking about how De Rossi would be pretty perfect for Uniteds midfield for years now and it doesn't seem to be getting any closer to becoming a realistic target!

No chance of getting De Rossi, he signed a new contract this year and I can see no reason why he'd suddenly decide to leave Roma. I know he said recently that England interests him, but he also said Spain interests him. And let's be honest those two leagues interest pretty much every football fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Jeremy Mathieu on a year's loan is still the answer, I maintain. Pity Valencia are unlikely to sanction it having already gotten rid of Alba.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Evra's been poor for 2 seasons now. Baines would be a very good upgrade.

Fergie wanting to get rid of Evra after his antics last season also a factor perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Fergie wanting to get rid of Evra after his antics last season also a factor perhaps?

brought shame on the club by receiving racial abuse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Leftist wrote: »
    brought shame on the club by receiving racial abuse?

No one can say that the way he handled himself during the whole debacle was filled with class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Loving the 'Berba = sexual napalm' tag added to the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No one can say that the way he handled himself during the whole debacle was filled with class.
    Evra,like any other player is not obliged to be filled with class.
    He took an opportunity to say a big "f**k you" to the player that racially abused him.
    Fair play to him for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Evra,like any other player is not obliged to be filled with class.
    He took an opportunity to say a big "f**k you" to the player that racially abused him.
    Fair play to him for doing it.

evra2.gif

Moment of the season.

Which also says how shíte our season was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

G.K. wrote: »
    Jeremy Mathieu on a year's loan is still the answer, I maintain. Pity Valencia are unlikely to sanction it having already gotten rid of Alba.

So your solution is to go for a deal that you already admit is unrealistic because Valencia aren't going to accept it.....?

Schism wrote: »
    Loving the 'Berba = sexual napalm' tag added to the thread!

You're welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Now that Euro 2012 is finished we can really focus on the transfer muppetry :)

I wonder will we move for Strootman? especially considering him not playing in the competition will not have affected his price!

Has there been any concrete links between him and Utd or is it all just the idle speculation of lazy journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Quandary wrote: »
    Now that Euro 2012 is finished we can really focus on the transfer muppetry :)

I wonder will we move for Strootman? especially considering him not playing in the competition will not have affected his price!

Has there been any concrete links between him and Utd or is it all just the idle speculation of lazy journalists?

Nothing concrete. IMO the chances are pretty slim. No doubt Utd are aware of him but the fact he only moved to PSV last season hes probably not pushing for a move which these days is a necessary pressure to make transfers happen.

Heard a great transfer rumour today, United are going to offer Nani + 10million for Rodriguez!

Imagine if that happened! Some serious muppetry in transfer land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Nani plus £10 million for Rodriguez? No thanks, it would have to be £10 million plus Rodriguez for Nani for me to consider such a deal. Our lad had a great tournament in Poland and Ukraine, Nani in a United jersey is where I want to see him.

I don't believe it for a second! :) Makes no sense whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What's the opinion of Giggs these days? Although he can do a job, he gets more game time than I think he should. Handy squad player or taking up a space that needs to be fixed?

Eathrin wrote: »
    What's the opinion of Giggs these days? Although he can do a job, he gets more game time than I think he should. Handy squad player or taking up a space that needs to be fixed?

Taking up space for me, club legend yes, hanging on too long? yes imo.

Already talk of him playing on for two more years and not just one ffs

Fergie was never this sentimental years ago, it shows a change, and not really a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Heard a great transfer rumour today, United are going to offer Nani + 10million for Rodriguez!

Imagine if that happened! Some serious muppetry in transfer land

Oh god.
    Eathrin wrote: »

If it's just one more season I would be happy. I think he should retire at the end of this season. He can still chip in this season plus with training with the younger lads could be a good asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Im surprised he didnt bow out after the Olympics. He was very poor last season.

Do Giggs and Scholes have coaching badges now?
    Good presence in training. Giggs' game time should be seriously limited though.

Scholes was still around coaching last year before he came back, no reason for them to have to be playing members of the sqaud to be around and do some coaching.

Whatever about Scholes, Giggs really should not be around this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Scholes was still around coaching last year before he came back, no reason for them to have to be playing members of the sqaud to be around and do some coaching.

Whatever about Scholes, Giggs really should not be around this season.

Especially on the fooking wing.. City away still gives me :eek: when i think about it. Madness!

He's had really good games in cm in fairness to him. He's impressed me for a guy his age at Man Utd. But enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Owen, PIG and two youth keepers officially released.

Reds release four players

Manchester United have confirmed the release of four players, as preparation for the 2012/13 season resumes in earnest.

Players can officially join or leave clubs from 1 July and the Reds confirmed on Monday morning that first-teamers Tomas Kuszczak and Michael Owen, as well as 18-year-old goalkeepers Liam Jacob and Joe Coll, have been released.

Kuszczak and Owen played vital roles in United's success over the last few years and boast 113 appearances between them. Championship club Brighton have already snapped up Kuszczak with Jacob confirmed as an Oldham Athletic recruit.

The club would like to thank all four players for their service and wish them the best of luck in the future.

no. 7 now free for Bebe upon his return. Should do a big presentation at first home game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Ed Malyon ‏@eaamalyon
    There are squeaks that Nathaniel Clyne might end up signing for Villa to get first-team football. Believes United will sign another RB #MUFC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Officially announces 4 players to leave but Pogba isn't one of them?

If it's not official yet then what's the hold up?

Officially announces 4 players to leave but Pogba isn't one of them?

If it's not official yet then what's the hold up?

apparently he has an agent who is quite difficult. Said agent will like to bleed juve for as much as possible. Juventus have also signed another couple of midfielders too.
    Pretty sure he'll go either way. SAF won't have him around after this.

If Pogba is so promising why did he rarely feature? It's not like Utd have that great a midfield.

If Pogba is so promising why did he rarely feature? It's not like Utd have that great a midfield.

Before the season began saf mentioned sending him out on loan in 2012/13.

that was the original plan and through decent cameos and lack of midfield options he promoted him to bench but SAF has rarely trusted a player that young with a starting place. The 'fledglings' were all around 22. welbeck and clevery are early 20s. Jones is the exception but that's because he's physically a man already.

And coming into a run-in which was inspired by Paul Scholes, he wasn't going to or given the oppurtunity to take chances.

lordgoat wrote: »
    He was told unless he signed a contract he wouldn't play.

If people knew the whole story or had seen Pogba play they'd know this. Rather than turning up to the party a few months later with a jibe of a post looking for a reaction. IamMusttryharder.

It is posts like this that give genuine decent supporters a bad rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ed Malyon ‏@eaamalyon
    There are squeaks that Nathaniel Clyne might end up signing for Villa to get first-team football. Believes United will sign another RB #MUFC

if we sign 2 full backs and thats our summer over, i would consider posting my season ticket to fergie and telling him to shove it.

* I am of course unlikely to do it, but thats how I feel. every summer, my respect for the man goes down a little. hopefully all this talk about full backs is just nonsense and Fergie finally picks the right players to fill our gap in CM.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It is posts like this that give genuine decent supporters a bad rep.

IF Pogba was so good. - He is he's a great player, he will be even better

It's not like uniteds midfield is any good. - Good enough to finish second in the league.

It's a well known story about Pogba, it's been going on for months.

united's midfield is the reason they came 2nd and were embarrassed in two different european competitions. The defence was repeatedly exposed by lack of cover in front of them, until scholes came back and after the 1-6, it was the worst midfield since the 1980s. They couldn't string 4 passes together.

Everton away, swansea away (yes I know), newcastle away, city away, ajax home, bilbao home and away, wigan away... these were all games where united were completely over ran in midfield. Completely dominated. And I'm not even talking about blackburn, crystal palace, 1-6, benfica home, basel away.

The midfield without scholes was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

if we sign 2 full backs and thats our summer over, i would consider posting my season ticket to fergie and telling him to shove it.

* I am of course unlikely to do it, but thats how I feel. every summer, my respect for the man goes down a little. hopefully all this talk about full backs is just nonsense and Fergie finally picks the right players to fill our gap in CM.
    If united don't sign at least one CM this summer,then everything thing else is a waste .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement