Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

People suggesting we'll struggle to finish fourth without a new Center Midfielder are having a laugh! United have enough quality in the squad to do that, the problem is simple, as so many others half said in the last few weeks, the first 11 just needs to be improved by one or 2 signings to make the difference in winning the title.

They are very very close as was proved last season, Evans, Rafael, Valencia, De Gea Welbeck, Jones, Young, Chico, will all be much better next season, wait till you see!

Great to see Rafael signing a new contract, class player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What about Traore and the other left back they have? If he doesnt play Ill hit the ****ing roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

kryogen wrote: »
    What about Traore and the other left back they have? If he doesnt play Ill hit the ****ing roof

Fabio is a step up from Traore as he is.

Schism wrote: »
    Fabio is a step up from Traore as he is.

I know that but Traore is also very young, I just want to know that wherever he goes he is going to be first choice :)

A loan to QPR has me suspicious of a loan with a view to making the move permanent for some reason.

Fabio can play Right Back though, maybe thats were he'll play for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I know that but Traore is also very young, I just want to know that wherever he goes he is going to be first choice :)

A loan to QPR has me suspicious of a loan with a view to making the move permanent for some reason.

If he can do aswell as Kyle Walker there ill be very happy.

I really hope that's not the case. Fabio has as much potential as Raf, it'd be silly to throw him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I would be surprised if Fergie signs a central midfielder this summer.

He clearly rates Carrick and anybody who thinks Carrick is good enough probably wouldn't have a problem with Jones as his back-up.

Cleverley, Anderson, Scholes and Giggs is a good number of options for the creative central spot. Fergie might be thinking about trying Powell there too and maybe even Kagawa. Personally I think whoever plays there will always be impeded by playing alongside the poor ball skills of Carrick or Jones.

But even if we don't buy a central midfielder this summer I have no doubt the team will still be easily in the top four, probably competing for the league and probably doing ok in the CL. Aside from central midfield and left back the team is very strong in every position and Fergie is a genius at motivating the team for the league run.

bullvine wrote: »

Won't Onuoha be on the right though?

In which case, he's back up on the right or a starter on the left.

• Advertisement

Schism wrote: »
    Won't Onuoha be on the right though?

In which case, he's back up on the right or a starter on the left.

Maybe Onuoha will play in the Center though? What I was saying was thats its not nailed he'll play LB there, he might be played on the right or in both positions hes done it for united after all.

That would be grand too yeah, or left midfield, I actually don't care where he plays for them as long as he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Considering Fabio is a better RB than Rafael playing him there wouldn't be the worst move in the world for QPR. Onuoha is a decent centre back, though Fabio may play further up the pitch as a right or left mid.

Liam O wrote: »
    Considering Fabio is a better RB than Rafael playing him there wouldn't be the worst move in the world for QPR. Onuoha is a decent centre back, though Fabio may play further up the pitch as a right or left mid.

I think its hard to say Fab is a better right back then Raf now, last year swings it the other way for me probably. Such a shame is so unlucky with injury, I thought he was probably our best player in the final with Barca when he played right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think its hard to say Fab is a better right back then Raf now, last year swings it the other way for me probably. Such a shame is so unlucky with injury, I thought he was probably our best player in the final with Barca when he played right back

Rafael just always seems to be one or two steps behind positioning wise. He needs to be willed to get forward and have it open up in front of him. On defense he has to rely on a lot of sliding tackles due to being caught out (though not by too substantial an amount) when up against wingers who play high up. He's still very naive.

Fabio seems more sure on the ball and his movements seem like they are perfectly timed and seems to be in the right place a lot more than Raf.

So considering Fabio's versatility it's safe to assume he'll get a few games. I hope so anyway.

It's also one of the reason I hope Kryogen's feeling of a permanent move never comes into fruition. A club should never underestimate the value of such a flexible player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign a left back at this stage, Evra has played 242 club games in 5 seasons, including 47 games last season, despite criticism over his performances. The manager clearly sees him as an essential part of the team, even if the supporters think he should be dropped.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Evra will be helped a hell of a lot if Vidic comes back and plays as well as he had been. Evra looks so much worse when the CB isn't aware of how they need to help him out!

I think if Baines comes in Evra could go. We'd probably make an overall profit on the deal.

Was hoping that Raf news was going to be Nani signing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Cleverley included in the team GB Olympic squad with Giggs, the only 2 United players in the 18 for GB. Should be a starter for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Macca07 wrote: »
    Cleverley included in the team GB Olympic squad with Giggs, the only 2 United players in the 18 for GB. Should be a starter for them too.

No problem with Giggsy going but would prefer Clev out of it given his recent run of fitness or lack of

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Laura Kane ‏@LauraKane89
    CONFIRMED: Fabio will join QPR on a season long loan.

QPR FC ‏@OfficialQPR
    FABIO SIGNS: Highly-rated Manchester United defender Fabio da Silva has put pen to paper on a season-long loan deal at Loftus Road. #QPR

• Advertisement

I really hope Hughes doesn't get the boot so! Obviously hope that he plays a lot and I guess I am happy it is to a Premier League team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/fabio-joins-queens-park-rangers-on-season-long-loan.aspx

"Fabio has found first team opportunities limited in his Old Trafford career to date, thanks to misfortune with injuries and the tricky task of displacing Patrice Evra at left-back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Have Utd expressed much interest in signing Dzagoev?
    Besides impressing me as a footballer, he has a cool name:pac:

Surely this means a left back is certain to come in?

Of course if Fabio couldn't displace Evra as it was put, he is hardly going to be able to replace Evra's overpriced replacement!

And at the end of Rooney10's link
    Fergie wrote:
    "I think a year out at a good level playing every week will make Fabio a real top player for us.”

Hopefully he's going to get the games now.

This provides me with a bit of hope
    Sir Alex Ferguson is convinced the defender has the wherewithal to succeed at Old Trafford, however, having admitted in April: "I think a year out at a good level playing every week will make Fabio a real top player for us.”

Both that we won't be spending big on Baines, and that he still has a future, however Fergie does often say similar about Macheda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Surely this means a left back is certain to come in?

Of course if Fabio couldn't displace Evra as it was put, he is hardly going to be able to replace Evra's overpriced replacement!

If he plays well and stays fit for whole season then he may do what Welbeck did to Hernandez/Berbatov or what Wilshere did at Arsenal.

Hopefully he gets some luck with injuries.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Have Utd expressed much interest in signing Dzagoev?
    Besides impressing me as a footballer, he has a cool name:pac:

Heard nothing from us but apparently Spurs are keen.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/07/02/3215224/tottenham-interested-in-dzagoev-agent?source=breakingnews

I don't think he's the kind of player we should be considering though.

Giggs will be backup Left back at this stage.....

Giggs will be backup Left back at this stage.....

Rafael can do a job there . Think he played there last season once .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I just hope to fúck we don't give them Rafael by accident.

Rafael can do a job there . Think he played there last season once .

The twins can both play either flank, Evans can play there, I am sure Giggs will be tried there if necessary, and I don't know what the situation is with Fryers, but if he sticks around he can used there too.

It comes down to what Fergie is going to do with Evra, he is amazingly consistent with his games a year, if Fergie intends to stick with him then the left back cover will not get much of a look in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

AwzpZ5iCEAI6X_9.jpg

Weird seeing one of the twins in a different teams shirt. Hope he does well there and comes back to compete for a starting spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That shirt looks far too big for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

First choice CB's will be very interesting next season. Smalling and Vida for me

I'd like Smalling and Vida, I think it would be very unfair to Evans also though, interesting to see which way Fergie goes

Bit more on Fabio from the United site
    Fabio determined to take chance
    Fabio da Silva is determined to make his loan move to Queens Park Rangers a success.

The Brazilian defender will spend the entire 2012/13 season at Loftus Road, and he admits the move is crucial for the next stage of his career.

"I'm so happy to be here," Fabio told QPR's official website. "This loan is so important for me in terms of my career. I want to play as many games as possible here. I want to play well and win games as well.

"It's a good move for my career and for my confidence. Sir Alex Ferguson said that I'd enjoy it here and told me to play as many games as I can. I know that QPR is a club with great history. I read about the history and that's why I'm here.

"I also came here because I'm ambitious. I want to help QPR progress up the Premier League. Hopefully the fans will enjoy watching me in action, because I'll do my best."

QPR manager Mark Hughes feels the deal benefits all parties involved, as his side gain a talented player who will hone his craft before returning to Old Trafford.

"It's a great opportunity for us to loan a good, young player, who has decent experience of playing for a top club like Manchester United," said the former Reds striker.

"He's played a lot of senior games for United, so it shows the quality he's got. I know they think very highly of him and we believe he has all the attributes to be a success here next season.

"We can give him the games he's craving at this stage of his career, so it benefits everybody. He's very versatile - he can play left or right-back and he's also been utilised in midfield by Sir Alex in the past, so we know what we're getting, and that's a very good player."

99% sure to be nothing in it but what the hell

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/903905-gansos-contract-dispute-alerts-manchester-united-and-chelsea
    The 22-year-old is rated as one of the hottest properties in South America having broken into the Santos first-team in 2008, and established himself as a strong, agile and technical playmaker.

He has since been watched by clubs from all over Europe, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City, while AC Milan have had two separate bids rejected recent in recent years, as Santos battle to keep hold of the pass-master.

However, their grip on Ganso appears to be loosening, after he snubbed the club's latest contract offer over the weekend, clearing the way for a move away from Brazil.

Ganso is said to have turned down a three-year extension to his current terms that would boost his wages to £70,000-a-week, with the star insisting the club need to offer closer to £150,000-a-week if they wish to keep him.

Santos are unlikely to be able to match his demands, as they are already paying one huge salary - that of superstar forward Neymar - which they needed help from sponsors to be able to fund.

That clears the way for Ganso to finally get his dream move to Europe, with United and the Blues leading the race.

Both clubs are chasing a big name central midfielder this summer, but agreeing a fee with Santos will be tricky, especially as they've always maintained he will only be sold for his buyout fee, which currently sits at £50 million.

United could bridge the gap by sending flop Anderson the other way on loan, while Chelsea are willing to offer Santos a partnership deal, that would see the two sides exchange coaching methods.

Ganso is currently contracted to Santos until 2015.

Only reason I see it as a remote (as remote as you can get) possibility is this, Ando going the other way.

Would love to see him in a United jersey, but won't hold my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

kryogen do you get to use boards in work or are you just off on school holidays or in jail maybe?

• Advertisement

Little blog article on Rafael http://www.4-traders.com/news/Manchester-United-plc-Blog-Brazilian-bravery--14395978/

Piece on Kag
    The Japanese International has finally arrived at Old Trafford and now Bettor.com analyzes whether he can cement his place amongst the club’s plethora of stars or not.

Go back only two years and even the staunchest of football fans won’t have heard of an unknown commodity called Shinji Kagawa, who at that time was plying his trade in the rigours of the J. League Division 2.

While he was not plying his trade in the illustrious arenas of Europe, those who watched him, knew that he was a diamond in the rough.

German giants Borussia Dortmund were the first ones to realize this and shelled out a modest €350,000 to secure his services in 2010. Kagawa, who was determined to make it big, grasped the opportunity with both hands and lit up the Westfalenstadion during his two year stint there.

Although there were several big names at the helm such as Mario Goetze and Nuri Sahin, the midfielder outshone them all, to carve his name amongst the galaxy of European stars.

After some impressive displays in the Bundesliga, a bidding war ensued and this time big money was involved. The pack, led by Manchester United, was willing to fork up to £20 million and eventually enticed Dortmund into parting ways with their main man.

The Red Devils won the race to sign him a few days ago and could possibly make him one of the best signings of the summer.

Kagawa, though blessed with undoubted talent and skill, still remains humble and is committed to proving himself at the world’s biggest club. Recently, he rejected Sir Alex Ferguson’s offer of donning the number seven shirt, as he considers it to be above him for the time being.

His professionalism easily shines through and his commitment means that Fergie can utilize in him a variety of formations to suit every opponent.

The Scot is the only manager in top football that still uses wingers to exploit the defence and will be keen to make sure that Kagawa can settle into his system.

Two wingers on each flank, attack with unrelenting pace to beat their markers and put in crosses for the target man. In the centre of the park, usually plays Scholes, the man Kagawa is brought in to replace.

While the midfield maestro is at a level of his own, the new signing offers something radically different, an eye for goal and an ability to drift past defenders, something which can be of great use in attack.

So it all boils down to Ferguson’s preference, he can either use Kagawa in an unfamiliar central role or go for a fundamentally different system that if worked, would give United the edge over everyone in the Premier League.

Michael Carrick has proven that he is an excellent interceptor, making 3.1 tackles per game and chipping in with 2.5 key interceptions to help the back-line. Furthermore, the ex-Tottenham star has a pass completion rate of 89.8%, meaning that Ferguson does not have to worry about Kagawa consistently tracking back.

Instead he can choose to play him with Wayne Rooney behind the striker in an unorthodox 4-1-4-1 formation, in which the Japanese star and his English counterpart will be the main attacking fulcrums.

Rooney’s energy coupled with Kagawa’s guile could prove to be a killer combination and one that wrestles back the Premiership title from the Etihad back to the Red half of Manchester, but only if Ferguson gives his go-ahead that is.

Nothing new with Baines really, just him playing down the link again http://www.everton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=286119

Pj! wrote: »
    kryogen do you get to use boards in work or are you just off on school holidays or in jail maybe?

I have an I Pad, simple really. So I get to use the net a fair bit during the day as well as the night, problem?

I realise none of what I said rules out jail ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I have an I Pad, simple really. So I get to use the net a fair bit during the day as well as the night, problem?

Hell no. It's your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Macca07 wrote: »

Wouldn't be a surprise if Cleverley is played on the wing for them, which will be a complete waste of his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I realise none of what I said rules out jail ;)

I always pictured you posting from your cell in Mount Joy with a fag in your mouth and a dumbbell in your hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Pj! wrote: »

Well he does alot of looking from behind bars if thats any good.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I always pictured you posting from your cell in Mount Joy with a fag in your mouth and a dumbbell in your hand.[/QUOTE

edit:doh

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Very good ;)

On a more serious note, I am spending way too much time on this lately, I could be a candidate for a closed account soon! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Ambiguous statement is ambiguous.
    racso1975 wrote: »
    edit:doh

You lil' Rascal you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i guess thats us nailed on to sign a full back now that Fabio is gone....makes no sense at all how in 12 months you can go from starting a CL final to being deemed surplus to requirements.

i guess thats us nailed on to sign a full back now that Fabio is gone....makes no sense at all how in 12 months you can go from starting a CL final to being deemed surplus to requirements.

He's going on loan to get games . Just like Welbeck & cleverley did .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement