Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe that signals Petrucci getting more minutes with the first team next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

And it would appear Davide Perrucci is set to sign a 3 year deal to stay with us... Seems he had offers of good money (more than we are givin him) from a few Serie A clubs. If only Pogba had the same attitude! Duncan Castles reporting it now as well.

Edit : beaten to it by The Townie! Cursed iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Maybe that signals Petrucci getting more minutes with the first team next season?

If we don't sign a CM then that could well happen. Especially once the annual injury crisis kicks into gear.

If we do sign a CM he could well go out on loan.

Either way I don't want to see the lad play another season of reserve team football. Hes better than that and should at least have the chance to prove it some where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Twitter seems to be drumming up with us going for Joao Moutinho, originally reported from the Times.

linky

Not sure if he's the man for us... but I'd take him over nothing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Interview with SAF on MUTV this afternoon.

Fletcher like a new signing - 1 shot. He's right.
    Vidic like a new signing - 1 shot. He's right.
    No Value - 1 shot. He's wrong.
    City inflating the market - 1 shot. He's right.
    Happy with squad - 1 shot. He probably is.
    Only lost on goal difference (=team are good enough) - 1 shot. He's kind of right.
    Agents being greedy stopping us from signing - 1 shot. He won't say this.

I agree with most of that if he says it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

481990_393014950757429_1584668244_n.jpg

He had a very good euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fletcher like a new signing - 1 shot.
    Vidic like a new signing - 1 shot.
    No Value - 1 shot.
    City inflating the market - 1 shot.
    Happy with squad - 1 shot.
    Only lost on goal difference (=team are good enough) - 1 shot.
    Agents being greedy stopping us from signing - 1 shot.

You could have series hangover in morning.

Drink plenty of water beforehand;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The time to go for Moutinho was 2 or 3 years ago before he moved to Porto. Could have been gotten reasonably cheap then. I used to be a big fan of him but outside the Euros haven't really seen much of him recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

481990_393014950757429_1584668244_n.jpg

He had a very good euros

True, but the story is from the same paper that had the exclusive that Modric was on his way to OT two weeks ago. Until it happens I won't get excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Fletcher is a complete unknown for next season. I think United should have learned from Owen and Hargreaves and just plan without him. If he recovers from the illness then it will be a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Dont follow the reserves much, what type of player is Petrucci, I always gathered he was an attacking midfielder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

True, but the story is from the same paper that had the exclusive that Modric was on his way to OT two weeks ago. Until it happens I won't get excited.

The Times and Miguel Delaney are also claiming it, have a feeling there might be something in it but you can never be sure. Even if our interest is real, a deal would probably be very difficult to strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wiki says he a United player and wears Number 7.

Dont you just love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Somebodys edited Moutinhos wikipedia page to say current club is Manchester United :rolleyes:

Edit: Ha beaten to it. Was looking it up to check his age, thought he was older than 25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Be typical of United to buy a player after a good international tournament like Poborsky and Hargreaves(Although took an extra year to get him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bullvine wrote: »
    Be typical of United to buy a player after a good international tournament like Poborsky and Hargreaves(Although took an extra year to get him)
    Moutinho has been around for a while though and playing at a reasonably high level, was always a player I could see United going for in his Lisbon days with Queiroz still at the club and after signing Ando and Nani, would have solved a lot of problems in the last few years if they had done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bullvine wrote: »

well i doubt united just decided (if interest is there) to put in a bid for him off the back of one or two performances, i would assume he has been on the radar for a while.

and you could say that your point is valid for all clubs, every time there is a tournament or even players have one good season, all clubs pounce, not just united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Fletcher like a new signing - 1 shot. He's right.
    Vidic like a new signing - 1 shot. He's right.
    No Value - 1 shot. He's wrong.
    City inflating the market - 1 shot. He's right.
    Happy with squad - 1 shot. He probably is.
    Only lost on goal difference (=team are good enough) - 1 shot. He's kind of right.
    Agents being greedy stopping us from signing - 1 shot. He won't say this.

Just on a few points you agreed with:

Fletch - we do not know if he will ever be the same player as its a bowl problem and will have to be managed.... Time will tell

City inflating the market, no... Chelsea did that long before city came along

I'd agree with the rest though, interesting point was he said he was happy with the squad.... Makes me think even more that kagawa will be our attacking CM.

Quickly on that point again, our usual 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, I cannot see welbeck or Chico being too happy about being dropped if kagawa goes in the hole....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd love us to sign Moutinho. I think he is a cracking little player (he had a decent Euros too), but I doubt there is any real interest there.

Why would we not have gone with him when he left Sporting (who we're always monitoring) for €11 million, when it was clear it was a position that we needed to strengthen? Also, I doubt we'd now be willing to deal at a higher price, when he is part owned by a third party.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Then again, neither did Bébé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fletcher is "like a new signing" the same way Bebe was like a new signing, a complete unknown of a player who we could easily find isn't up to it after a couple of games.

• Advertisement

Ferguson won't say 'Fletcher is like a new signing' anyway, that's just Mitch being melodramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Big Daves been called up by Spain for the Olympics .

Big Daves been called up by Spain for the Olympics .

what dates will the games be on do you know and will our players miss many matches?

surely its not a good thing for us to have so many players away for this, though luckily it is in England.

Spain will walk this i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what dates will the games be on do you know and will our players miss many matches?

surely its not a good thing for us to have so many players away for this, though luckily it is in England.

Final is on August 11th, first premier league game is August 18th. So he will miss all of pre-season but should be available for selection for the opening game - whether he would be given a break after the Olympics or be considered for selection right away, I don't know.

Final is on August 11th, first premier league game is August 18th. So he will miss all of pre-season but should be available for selection for the opening game - whether he would be given a break after the Olympics or be considered for selection right away, I don't know.

giggs, cleverly and de gea confirmed. anybody else?

by the way, you better be coming to a game this year with me and the other regulars off here...no excuses :cool:

giggs, cleverly and de gea confirmed. anybody else?

by the way, you better be coming to a game this year with me and the other regulars off here...no excuses :cool:

if all i have to do is hand over money, i'm there!

I don't really see it as a big deal that they're playing at the Olympics they'd be playing in pre season games for us anyway .

They'll probably be better off than our other players as they won't be travelling all over the place .

I don't really see it as a big deal that they're playing at the Olympics they'd be playing in pre season games for us anyway .

They'll probably be better off than our other players as they won't be travelling all over the place .

They'll probably be a bit sharper for the start of the season as well as the Olympic games are obviously more competitive. I don't foresee Giggs playing a whole lot for us next season and after Cleverley missing so much of last season, he could do with more competitive games although I do hope it's not on the wing.

I used to think the same but then you have to remember that pre-season training and conditioning, along with rotation of players to build up fitness, is a completely different training schedule and thought process to getting ready for specific, competitive games.

Bright spot is that none of the lads going (from a United perspective) have been involved in the Euro's so should have had their summer break - there isn't really a need to give them an extended leave after the Olympics finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can't see how Moutinho would be an option at this moment in time. He is a player I am sure many of us admire and he had an excellent tournament but surely the following would go against a potential transfer happening:

1. He would have cost less back when he was at Sporting Lisbon (Did we not have a first option on the Lisbon players at the time?) Surely, if we believed he had the potential to be a United player at that time, we would have bought him then?

2. Porto are notoriously tough to deal with and for all parties to be satisfied with the money involved, it would have to be a high enough fee especially with the club, the agents, the third party owners and the player himself to be kept happy.

3. Is Kagawa not the player in that position?

3. Is Kagawa not the player in that position?

I think he can, and does, play a more traditional CM role - he would be able to play beside Carrick, he has the work rate and defensive responsibility to do it.

I think himself and Carrick could be a very good partnership, with Kagawa in front of them.

I think he can, and does, play a more traditional CM role - he would be able to play beside Carrick, he has the work rate and defensive responsibility to do it.

I think himself and Carrick could be a very good partnership, with Kagawa in front of them.

Yet Portugal saw fit to pair him with two players who are more than capable of digging in defensively (Merieles and Veloso).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Think Brazil will have a serious say in who wins it.....
    They too, have a serious squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Yet Portugal saw fit to pair him with two players who are more than capable of digging in defensively (Merieles and Veloso).

That was more to allow there wingers play in more advanced positions, Ronaldo in particular. When Ronnie didn't track back, 1 of the 3 CM's shifted over to cover. Moutinho has all the atributes to play in a 2 man CM.

tvercetti wrote: »
    That was more to allow there wingers play in more advanced positions, Ronaldo in particular. When Ronnie didn't track back, 1 of the 3 CM's shifted over to cover. Moutinho has all the atributes to play in a 2 man CM.

Would this not apply to our wingers also? Especially with a luxury like player in Kagawa?

I'm not disagreeing with you that he couldn't play in a 2 man CM, I just don't think he could play in ours! ;)

• Advertisement

Would this not apply to our wingers also? Especially with a luxury like player in Kagawa?

I'm not disagreeing with you that he couldn't play in a 2 man CM, I just don't think he could play in ours! ;)

Valencia, Young, Nani, Rooney, Welbeck, Park - all players that put in more of a defensive shift than most players in their position.

Moutinho is not a defensive midfielder, but he is more than capable in the defensive aspect of his game. Similar to Modric imo, maybe with a bit more tenacity. Giggs (when playing well as a CM) would be similar.

While I would like a DM, I can't see us signing one so a high energy CM who won't shirk responsibility is the type we need to be looking at; and Moutinho fits the bill.

Also, Kagawa is not a luxury player - I wouldn't play him CM as his defensive positioning is not what it would need to be but he was a vital component of the high energy high press Dortmund has employed over the last two years. He may not track back like we would want him to - but he will close down defenders and deep midfielders to win the ball back early.

The Brazil squad has Dani Alves, Marcelo, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Sandro, Lucas (Sao Paulo one), Pato, Hulk and Neymar in it.

The Spain squad is very good but Brazil are undoubtedly favorites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Blatter wrote: »

The Brazil squad has Dani Alves, Marcelo, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Sandro, Lucas (Sao Paulo one), Pato, Hulk and Neymar in it.

Given that brazil will want to put on a strong showing at home they will be right up there, but surely record breaking Spain have to be installed as favourites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Given that brazil will want to put on a strong showing at home they will be right up there, but surely record breaking Spain have to be installed as favourites?

They are talking about the Olympics, not the World Cup in 2014.

Blatter wrote: »

Arent all the bold ones all overage ? and one of their keepers is 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They had a 23 man squad named, has to be cut to 18. Keeper will be gone, 2 of the overage defenders and 2 more.

Spain named a 22 man squad so have to cut down to 4 more

Sorry, yeah I just looked at the list at the end of this page, didn't read the part where it says they'll be pulling 14 more of that provisional team.

Only 3 players over 23 are allowed. I presume it'll be three of the above in bold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Uruguay panel is pretty strong as well.

Yeah, you can actually get 7/4 on Uruguay to top their group. Great value as they're in with Great Britain, Senegal and United Arab Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

SAF wrote:
    "We always try to get our work done at the end of the season – we spent a good deal of time sorting the deal with Shinji and we’d agreed a deal with Nick Powell before the play-offs which was a good move by us because the boy had an outstanding final at Wembley.

Not really surprised by that. But what a way to announce his deal though scoring a great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It will be different with overage players added in, but Brazil u-20s beat Uruguay u-20s 6-0 in qualifying for the Olympics.

I cant see past Brazil or Spain to win it. Their teams are just stacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Any chance of the twins in the olympics squad?

I agree we need a deeper cm,my fear is that Fergie will remember how good Ando/Clev where at the start of last season and will hope they stay fit......as much as I like both players(Anderson in his natural position) we def need a new cm.I wouldn't mind seeing Moutinho tbh though my preference would be Strootman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Berbatov remains a United player
    Dimitar Berbatov remains a Manchester United player and will join the Reds on the DHL 2012 pre-season tour.

The Bulgarian has been strongly linked with moves away from Old Trafford this summer, but Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed the striker is still part of his plans.

“Nothing has happened with Dimitar and he’ll join the tour to South Africa and China,” the boss told MUTV. “He’s a fantastic footballer.

“It wasn’t a great season for him last season, partly because I settled more with Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck... and Chicharito.

“I don’t think I treated Dimitar unfairly but he can feel disappointed that he didn’t get more football. He’s a fantastic talent.”

Manchester United’s 2012 DHL pre-season tour begins with two games in South Africa (Durban, Cape Town) before Sir Alex’s squad move on to China (Shanghai), Norway (Oslo) and Sweden (Gothenburg).

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/dimitar-berbatov-remains-a-red.aspx

fyeah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Disappointed for Berba if I'm honest, a talent like his deserves first team football. That said I'm delighted he's staying aswell!

It only says he currently remains a United player and will be going on tour, it doesn't say he'll be staying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement