Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He'll be like a new signing....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Delighted with the Berba news mainly because I'm a massive fan. I personally hope he gets more game time.

p.s Don't bother with the "game time? taking who's place?" questions. I'm not getting into it again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Wouldn't see this as good news. More so he's still being treated unfairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Well he hardly got any game time last season, and now with Kagawa signed you would have to think he'd get even less this season if he was to stay.

There's no doubt we want to offload him, the problem is finding a deal with another club that all parties are happy with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think you can tell a lot about a player even from a major championships.

maybe form or general attacking perfomances would not be great indicators of future performances.

However the general attitude and bahaviours of a player would certainly carry over from a tournament. Moutinho (and a number of potugal players) showed a real desire to work hard for the team and manager. You could tell they bought into the managers ideas and worked tirelessly to do whatever it took to contribute to a successful tournament. Mountinho was a stand out for me in this regard even in a side that had plenty of players working hard.

Ronaldo or Ballotelli for example showed what we see outside tournament football. Great ability but overall appear to be after individual success rather than team glory (as in they want success for themselves and the team getting success is a by product rather then them being successful thanks to the team's success).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

AVB announced as Spurs new Manager. Do you think this makes a Chelsea move for Modric more unlikely given the previous between their former manger and now direct rival?

If Madrid are not interested wouldn't this make us front runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

AVB announced as Spurs new Manager. Do you think this makes a Chelsea move for Modric more unlikely given the previous between their former manger and now direct rival?

If Madrid are not interested wouldn't this make us front runners?

I strongly doubt Modric is going anywhere. I can't see Levy accepting a penny less than 40m, which I doubt we have.

Madrid and City don't need him, yes this didn't stop them before but its different now.

If I was a betting man I'd say he will be in a Spurs jersey again next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blatter wrote: »
    It only says he currently remains a United player and will be going on tour, it doesn't say he'll be staying.

Yeah, I was happy as at least we can watch Berba play for United few more times in preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Given that brazil will want to put on a strong showing at home they will be right up there, but surely record breaking Spain have to be installed as favourites?

They are talking about the Olympics, not the World Cup in 2014.

Ah! My bad!!!

Does anyone have any interest in the football at the Olympics???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Berba has been linked to Galatasary today too, be seriously surprised if he stays. He deserves better but maybe the club have a figure in mind and nobody is willing to meet it as yet.

Have to say though, it would be one of the biggest shocks of the year if he is a United player next year, considering he has already said he will be playing elsewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kryogen wrote: »
    Berba has been linked to Galatasary today too, be seriously surprised if he stays. He deserves better but maybe the club have a figure in mind and nobody is willing to meet it as yet.

Have to say though, it would be one of the biggest shocks of the year if he is a United player next year, considering he has already said he will be playing elsewhere :)

Apparently the Galatasaray president has confirmed that he's interested in him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/galatasaray-reveal-interest-in-manchester-united-striker-dimitar-berbatov-7906082.html

"The Bulgarian is a great forward," Aysal is quoted as saying on gol.bg.

"I want him to join us but, of course, coach Fatih Terim has the final word."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/sir-alex-ferguson-says-more-signings-possible-mutv-exclusive-interview.aspx
    Sir Alex: More deals possible

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed there could be more signings during the transfer window as the club continues to work behind the scenes in that area.

The United boss suggested in an exclusive interview with MUTV that Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell may not be the only arrivals this summer if his plans bear fruit. Despite intense media speculation, the Reds will continue to conduct any negotiations in private and it often proves to be a lengthy business.

When asked if he is hoping to make further additions, Sir Alex replied: "Yes, there's a possibility. We’re working on one or two things but there’s nothing really to tell you to be honest.

"We always try to get our work done at the end of the season – we spent a good deal of time sorting the deal with Shinji and we’d agreed a deal with Nick Powell before the play-offs which was a good move by us because the boy had an outstanding final at Wembley.

"When you don’t get deals done immediately and you’re negotiating with a club over a long period, then you can’t expect to just snap your fingers and get it done."
    Hopefully thats Baines and a cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm disappointed to see Fabio go on loan, as inevitable as it was. I think this tweet from "Man Utd Facebook" sums up my thoughts perfectly:
    Man Utd Facebook ‏@MUFC_Facebook
    Fab and raf are like 2 bunny rabbits.....if u let one go den the other has 2 many carrots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Ronaldo or Ballotelli for example showed what we see outside tournament football. Great ability but overall appear to be after individual success rather than team glory (as in they want success for themselves and the team getting success is a by product rather then them being successful thanks to the team's success).

Agree that Moutinho was excellent and worked like a trojan.

But regarding the highlighted bit, do you think that Ronaldo would be happier with individual success (ie: a golden boot) and value that more than his team winning a prestigious competition?

If you think he'd be happier with a golden boot then, imho, you are completely wrong.

If you think he'd be happier with his team winning a prestigious tournament, your point is invalid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

markc91 wrote: »

Feel free to post more than just a link in future...

Can someone quote the article please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ah! My bad!!!

Does anyone have any interest in the football at the Olympics???

Yes.

Its football.......

Feel free to post more than just a link in future...

Can someone quote the article please?
    Sir Alex: More deals possible
    Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed there could be more signings during the transfer window as the club continues to work behind the scenes in that area.

The United boss suggested in an exclusive interview with MUTV that Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell may not be the only arrivals this summer if his plans bear fruit. Despite intense media speculation, the Reds will continue to conduct any negotiations in private and it often proves to be a lengthy business.

When asked if he is hoping to make further additions, Sir Alex replied: "Yes, there's a possibility. We’re working on one or two things but there’s nothing really to tell you to be honest.

"We always try to get our work done at the end of the season – we spent a good deal of time sorting the deal with Shinji and we’d agreed a deal with Nick Powell before the play-offs which was a good move by us because the boy had an outstanding final at Wembley.

"When you don’t get deals done immediately and you’re negotiating with a club over a long period, then you can’t expect to just snap your fingers and get it done."

Cause I like ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed the striker is still part of his plans.

Blatant lie. He wasn't in his plans at all last season, why is now convinced that he needs him here? If he stays at United, it'll be a season of Carling Cup games and maybe one or two Champions League dead rubber matches. Hopefully Berbs finds a good club soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I've often wondered how many players we've come close to signing and never heard about.

The way we do our business often we don't hear anything until its a done deal.

How many deals have fallen apart late I wonder, we always seem to be looking at "a couple of players".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rooney10 wrote: »

Agree that Moutinho was excellent and worked like a trojan.

But regarding the highlighted bit, do you think that Ronaldo would be happier with individual success (ie: a golden boot) and value that more than his team winning a prestigious competition?

If you think he'd be happier with a golden boot then, imho, you are completely wrong.

If you think he'd be happier with his team winning a prestigious tournament, your point is invalid.

No I think he wants to win titles and championships. I don't think he works hard for his team or his manager. He does it for himself. Other players do it for the team, the mangaer and themselves.

I have no problem with Ronaldo or players like Balotelli, Arshavin. But they don't work as hard for the team as other players.

Its my own take on it, it wasn't supposed to take away from the real point of my post, that Mountinho showed good character in the tournament as well as good performances with the ball. Signs of a good character during a tournament is something you can put a real value on when considering if a player should be persued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Dimitar Berbatov remains a Manchester United player and will join the Reds on the DHL 2012 pre-season tour.

The Bulgarian has been strongly linked with moves away from Old Trafford this summer, but Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed the striker is still part of his plans.

“Nothing has happened with Dimitar and he’ll join the tour to South Africa and China,” the boss told MUTV. “He’s a fantastic footballer.

“It wasn’t a great season for him last season, partly because I settled more with Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck... and Chicharito.

“I don’t think I treated Dimitar unfairly but he can feel disappointed that he didn’t get more football. He’s a fantastic talent.”

Manchester United’s 2012 DHL pre-season tour begins with two games in South Africa (Durban, Cape Town) before Sir Alex’s squad move on to China (Shanghai), Norway (Oslo) and Sweden (Gothenburg).

Hear more from Sir Alex on MUTV at 18:30 BST on Tuesday 3 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i hope berba stays.

having berba is better for us than to see him leave and not sign anybody. we are bound to get injuries to welbeck, hernandez and rooney and i just dont trust Macheda as 4th striker.

so it would be great to see him stay and then concentrate on filling the gap in CM.

For selfish reasons I want him to stay, but he does deserve better then basically being Rooneys back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Tony V has been given the number 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Just been announced

Valencia has got the no. 7 shirt

Powell no.25 and Kagawa no.26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Valencia asked for the no.7! Love it!

Just been announced

Valencia has got the no. 7 shirt

Powell no.25 and Kagawa no.26

Anything on Berba keeping the num. 9???

Interesting on the quotes from fergie, hopefully he sees a change in formation/tactics as the way forward and is not relying on kagawa in centre mid with carrack as I feared....

But then again we have heard this 'working on a few things' line before!!!

Fair play to Valencia for asking for 7, like that sort of confidence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How do we know that Valencia asked for it? Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/new-squad-numbers-for-valencia-and-new-signings.aspx
    New numbers for United trio

Antonio Valencia will wear the iconic no.7 shirt for Manchester United in 2012/13.

ManUtd.com can also reveal that summer signings Nick Powell and Shinji Kagawa will wear no.25 and no.26 respectively.

Ecuador winger Valencia requested the no.7 shirt - worn previously by United legends such as George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo - following Michael Owen's departure this summer.

The Reds' remaining squad numbers for the 2012/13 season are yet to be confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm unsure whether to get a real jersey with Valencia and 7 or to gets two Thailand jerseys and get Kagawa also

I'd have been happier with Nani getting the number 7 shirt for a couple of reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'd have been happier with Nani getting the number 7 shirt for a couple of reasons

Definitely. There isn't a hope of Valencia ever leaving here I don't think, especially after he dropped his agent last year.

Giving it to Nani would have been a big statement and gone a long way to enticing him to stay here for the long haul. Ah well.

Definitely. There isn't a hope of Valencia ever leaving here I don't think, especially after he dropped his agent last year.

Giving it to Nani would have been a big statement and gone a long way to enticing him to stay here for the long haul. Ah well.

Could be a statement to nani as it stands...... Hope not!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Absolutely raging, I ordered a home shirt with Valencia 25 on it from Soccer Triads. :(

Nani reckons 17 brings him luck .

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

They usually change it for you if it hasn't been sent out already .

Nani reckons 17 brings him luck .

Maybe the club should offer him 17k a week so? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Absolutely raging, I ordered a home shirt with Valencia 25 on it from Soccer Triads. :(

Send Kevin an email, I don't think their twitter has been active much lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

They usually change it for you if it hasn't been sent out already .

I ordered it almost a month ago, I guess now I've to hope it doesn't arrive and they send out a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I ordered it almost a month ago, I guess now I've to hope it doesn't arrive and they send out a new one.

I always remember a friend got onto the bus for our school tour with his new United jersey. Beckham on the back of it just after he was sold. He got some stick the whole way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Delighted Big Tony V got the number 7 jersey. Deserves it after the season he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

My young fella per-ordered the jersey with 25 Valencia on it and has it on constantly for the last 3 weeks. Tears in the prop's house now!

allprops wrote: »
    My young fella per-ordered the jersey with 25 Valencia on it and has it on constantly for the last 3 weeks. Tears in the prop's house now!

Happened to me with Beckham years ago :(

Doron Salomon ‏@DoronSalomon
    Pogba to Juventus confirmed by Fergie on MUTV

• Advertisement

Adam Marshall ‏@AdamSMarshall
    Sir Alex to MUTV: “Paul Pogba signed for Juventus a long time ago as far as we’re aware. I don’t think he showed us any respect at all "

Adam Marshall ‏@AdamSMarshall
    Sir Alex has yet to hear from Zeki Fryers or his agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All as we expected really,pity but we move on,Pogba must prove what his worth id

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Good luck to him. Massive pressure on him now to show how good he thinks he is. Will be a major struggle to break into that juve team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Kids these days. No respect...

RedMancunia ‏@RedMancunia
    SAF on Fletcher: 'The boy's trying very hard to get back to his level. It's not going to be easy but we'll give him every possible chance."

Doesn't look good and also not surprising. We have to sign a CM at any cost now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement