Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kryogen wrote: »
    Can't see arsenal selling, they would be just as well off keeping him, at the wages he is on and letting him go for free then to have to try to replace him for next season, it will give them a whole other year to prepare a replcement also.

No chance they keep him IMO mate. Best of getting £20m + for him rather than have him sulking for a year putting in half shifts every week and leaving for a quarter of that in January or for free this time next year. Giroud and Podolski will do the job up front and they'll still finish top 4.

RVP will be a City player on a huge wage within the next few weeks I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

NinjaK wrote: »
    If I was RVP I wouldnt come near Man U, they are in the same boat as Arsenal, a declining club, Man City, maby Chelsea would be my only english choice.

I could quote you the number of trophys won in the past 10 yrs and our clubs value compared to the other big name clubs but why bother. With a post that sensationalist (the kindest word I could find) I don't think facts and a proper debte are what your looking for. We would be one of the if not the best in both departments in case your wondering.

The questions we need to ask are (A) if Real or Barca are not interested in him, would he like to go to Italy? Imo, Juve can probably offer him more wages and CL football but wouldn't fancy a lesser league, its Spain or the EPL but throw enough money at him and who knows.

(B) Would Arsenal rather sell to us or City? Are City now bigger rivals to Arsenal now that they have won the league and have relations been soured over the Nasri Clichy deals. I'm not sure.

(C) Are we interested and do we need him? Can't hurt having that quality in there imo. If we are changing shape its either him or Rooney up front or Kagawa on the bench or playing deeper/on the wing and Rooney behind RVP. Its a very nice headache to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I pissed myself when I saw Linkeker tweet him " Theres always Chamakh"

He really hates Chamakh.
    It gets worse.. RT @th14Renato Chamakh's agent said Chamakh would stay at Arsenal if RvP left and fight with Giroud for a starting place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

We signed Rodrigo Alvarez, 18 year old Spanish keeper from Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Looks like they are now our goalkeeper academy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

So that's one of the 'one or two' signings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Thanks for that joke. Needed a laugh today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Tomorrows Daily Fail says SAF is lining up a bid for RVP but must fight off City first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

markc1184 wrote: »
    Tomorrows Daily Fail says SAF is lining up a bid for RVP but must fight off City first.

Well if we don't get RVP then we can always put in a bid for Jong Il-Gwan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

****!! I was hoping we might actually have sneaky bid in for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Liam O wrote: »
    Looking at it logically, Forbes values the club at $2.2bn and 30% of that is roughly $730m, now the shares that go up will be less value than this I reckon so they should be looking at hopefully around $500m I'd say. This is obviously a very simplistic view of it though and I have no knowledge of how this will work...

That is something along the lines of how I worked it out too theoretically, its how I came up with the 250-350million being raised.

Working off the sterling values obviously :)

Paully D wrote: »
    No chance they keep him IMO mate. Best of getting £20m + for him rather than have him sulking for a year putting in half shifts every week and leaving for a quarter of that in January or for free this time next year. Giroud and Podolski will do the job up front and they'll still finish top 4.

RVP will be a City player on a huge wage within the next few weeks I reckon.

You could very well be right, I just don't think he is the type to put in the big sulk for Arsenal, he has said also in his statement that further meetings are scheduled and he will update as necessary, he may leave, I would just be surprised if he does, Giroud, I just cant take to for whatever reason, and Podolski, if used from the wide left is going to flop I would bet.

If Arsenal decide that RVP will be the difference between them getting CL football next year then keeping him would be worth not receiving a fee. They also don't have to increase the wages so it will come down to that imo.

If City come in with an offer too good to turn down then all bets are off I guess though.

He will not want to go back out to the left of an attack, so it will be interesting to see where he goes if he does join City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Can't see arsenal selling, they would be just as well off keeping him, at the wages he is on and letting him go for free then to have to try to replace him for next season, it will give them a whole other year to prepare a replcement also.

He is not really needed at United, would not be happy to be on the left or the bench and as long as Rooney is there he will be the main man. If Wilshire could come back to full fitness and show that he was still the same player I'd love him at the club alright, excellent defensie minded midfielder who can go forward also. Great all round ability
    Disagree,they dropped a bollock letting Nasri go for free. I cant see them making the same mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Disagree,they dropped a bollock letting Nasri go for free. I cant see them making the same mistake.

They didn't let Nasri go for free .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Samich wrote: »
    End of season? He's been a brilliant player for us over his career in a United shirt. He started off poorly this season but finished up as one of our best players this season. I don't think he has been given it on the basis of one season. Don't get me wrong, Nani deserved it too. But to disregard Valencia as someone who has deserved the #7 is foolish imo.

I don't really get this. Both are two totally different players. We have a lack of CM's but if we had a load of cm's and a real lack of wingers you would be saying the opposite. You can't condemn Valencia because we have f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cked up with signings (and in the Fletcher case just unlucky) in the middle of the park.

Hmmm you can still choose one player over the other if they're completely different players.

Who would you rather in your team, Evra or Messi? Can't choose, different players?

I still think Nani is far superior on the right than Valenica and Young is good on the left.

So judging by this logic you would choose messi over lets say.... De gea?

Best of luck with that for the coming season, I predict your team will loose by at least 40-1 every game in the EPL, even more in champ league

It is totally illogical to compare players that play in different positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i really don't see why we would be after him. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

He is, when fit, an awesome player. Best forward in England for me. But the money it would take, I just don't see the point. Obviously he'd be first choice, and play up top with Rooney; so what was the point in signing Kagawa.

I don't see how we could effectively play Rooney, van Persie, Kagawa and Valencia, without actually weakening the side from a balance point of view. Kagawa would be wasted on the left side of midfield and we would be destroyed with him as part of the midfield two.

Possibly we could play a 433 similar to Barcelona, but it would require a major shift in thinking and team conditioning, style and attitude.

Villa - Van Persie
    Messi - Rooney
    Pedro - Valencia/Nani.

Iniesta - Kagawa
    Xavi - Cleverley/Anderson
    Busquets - Carrick

Now, I am not saying the United players would be equal to the Barcelona players - I am NOT saying that for one moment; but in terms of formation/style it is the only way I could make sense of signing Van Persie. It is a formation that would suit Welbeck too, Chico not so much but he'd do well regardless.

I do, however, think it is unrealistic that we are going to sign van Persie (whether we want to or not, and I do believe we will at least make an attempt for him) or move to that type of formation if we did - so we would likely play van Persi and Rooney up top with Kagawa wasted on the bench or an uncomfortable position.

EDIT:

I would also think that RVP would be somewhat of a vanity signing - a top player that (if signed) we could get as a statement of competitiveness and to excite the excitable; but would surely signal a complete end to any attempt to sign the midfielder we actually need.

Gamb!t wrote: »

City paid 25million for him :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I've seen Kagawa play wide left a few times for Japan in a 4-2-3-1 and I've been pretty impressed. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we use him there a good bit next season.

Blatter wrote: »
    I've seen Kagawa play wide left a few times for Japan in a 4-2-3-1 and I've been pretty impressed. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we use him there a good bit next season.

I have mentioned it already yeah, they shift him to accomodate Honda, I can see Fergie doing it at times with Rooney behind the main striker and Kag on the left, the only thing is, it really is not his best position, he is played there by Japan because they want to fit him in the team somehow.

He would be slightly wasted out there for me

What about Young and Nani?

• Advertisement

if they don't do better than him they dont play?

Don't want to see him wasted on the left but that is the reality of the situation if that is how it develops and really I don't have an issue with that. Best players should play.

if they don't do better than him they dont play?

Don't want to see him wasted on the left but that is the reality of the situation if that is how it develops and really I don't have an issue with that. Best players should play.

I highly doubt a CAM is going to out class too natural wingers on the wings.

I have mentioned it already yeah, they shift him to accomodate Honda, I can see Fergie doing it at times with Rooney behind the main striker and Kag on the left, the only thing is, it really is not his best position, he is played there by Japan because they want to fit him in the team somehow.

He would be slightly wasted out there for me

I agree he's at his best in the centre but he's not a waste as such out wide like some think he would be. He's a similar type of player to Silva, Mata etc. and they are often shifted out wide at their clubs to accommodate others. He mightn't be at his best out there, but still has the trickery and guile to be very effective as seen with Japan.

Another option anyhow, that will allow us to play Welbeck/Hernandez more frequently.

Much the same as Mitch, whoever is performing best should always play

The other players are very versatile and provide good cover, in Nani case great cover although he won't stick around long doing that.

Maybe its a reason why Nani would want to leave?

All just speculation at this stage of course.

His competition would be Nani, and while I agree he would probably not out perform him on a consistent basis, he would be an option to have there and if Nani/Young is injured in poor form or whatever, he can fill in anyway.

He does play well for Japan there so it would not be in the same ball park as putting Tom Cleverley out there

I agree he's at his best in the centre but he's not a waste as such out wide like some think he would be. He's a similar type of player to Silva, Mata etc. and they are often shifted out wide at their clubs to accommodate others. He mightn't be at his best out there, but still has the trickery and guile to be very effective as seen with Japan.

Another option anyhow, that will allow us to play Welbeck/Hernandez more frequently.

Yep, agree with all that.

indeed - then kagawa doesn't play or we ruin him and weaken the side at the same time.

Reason why I want him playing AMC and why I hope that is the position we have signed him for.

Yeah, not forgetting about them at all, plenty of games to go around.

And I agree with Mitch in that the best players should play more often than not as long as they are fairly comfortable in the position you play them in. I wouldn't be so confident that say Young would easily slot out wide left ahead of Kagawa. Iniesta for example is not a natural winger by any means, and has regularly played there for Spain. The likes of Cazorla and Navas are natural wingers, but obviously it would be nuts to play them ahead of Iniesta.

I think Kagawa is a far better player than Young, and if we were playing a cup final tomorrow and was given a choice between Young and Kagawa to play left of a 4-2-3-1, I'd go with Kagawa.

His competition would be Nani, and while I agree he would probably not out perform him on a consistent basis, he would be an option to have there and if Nani/Young is injured in poor form or whatever, he can fill in anyway.

He does play well for Japan there so it would not be in the same ball park as putting Tom Cleverley out there

Totally agree he should be their to deploy should there be injuries but Mitch and you are suggesting he might play there ahead of the two lads. What is that saying about the two lads? That they are getting outplayed by someone who doesn't play that position only for a few games a year at international level? Kagawa is not the best CAM in the world, which is his best position why would we deploy him out on the wing when we have one of the best wingers in the world in Nani and a very good one in Young?

• Advertisement

But he might play out there, Fergie has form for playing people out of position to suit his system, it could happen, I have already said I think its a waste to put him out there, but it could actually happen, I did also say its all just speculation anyway at this point too :)

But he might play out there, Fergie has form for playing people out of position to suit his system, it could happen, I have already said I think its a waste to put him out there, but it could actually happen, I did also say its all just speculation anyway at this point too :)

Well it better not. I'm warning you now okay.

Well it better not. I'm warning you now okay.

tumblr_m65njyam3B1qkg7pz.jpg

Well he played Rooney out there for years, and he is much less suited to the position than Kagawa...

I doubt Fergie has any definite plans as to how exactly he'll line up next season. He'll probably try a few different things in pre season, and take it from there.

Well he played Rooney out there for years, and he is much less suited to the position than Kagawa...

I doubt Fergie has any definite plans as to how exactly he'll line up next season. He'll probably try a few different things in pre season, and take it from there.

will be seriously pissed if that is the case.

Fergie should have a definitive plan for how he wants us to play next season and the players we are signing or looking to sign should brought in on the basis of them fitting into the new style better than the players we have.

Yes, there should be the ability and plan to adapt and switch to a couple of different styles depending on need of the moment, but I'll be serioulsy pissed if Fergie is signing or selling players with no idea on what he is planning on doing next season.

Yeah but we had Ronaldo and Tevez too. Plus it stunted him as a player. Look at him now compared to then. He's much better utilized where he is now. He needs to stop this madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I can guarantee that article won't contain any new quotes from SAF. But it will sell more copies of the paper; job done.

Apologies if anyone thinks this is too long
    Henríquez – The tale of a Chilean prodigy

Written on Wednesday, July 4, 2012 by CheGiaevara in Transfer News

“I’m a fast and powerful striker. I’m a goalscorer who likes to play things simple”, was how 15-year old Ángelo Henríquez describes himself when interviewed by Chilean “La Tercera TV” in 2009. Back then, racing through the ranks of his maternal club of Universidad de Chile, he was invited over to England for trials with Manchester United. The deal was that Henríquez, along with Universidad de Católica starlet Pedro Salgado, was going to train with United twice a year in order to grow as players, and for the club to keep a watchful eye over the young Chilean prospects.

Henríquez would prove that United’s interest was a just as he went on to shine at the U-15 Copa America later that year, scoring two goals in the process. Two years later he’d shine on the international stage again, this time in the U-17 Copa America banging in goals against Colombia, Venezuela and champions-to-be, Brazil. As the summer progressed it became widespread news that Manchester United had decided to install a first refusal option in their deal with “La U” for Henríquez. A set fee of €5 millon (£3 millon) was agreed upon a five-year deal with La U. This meaning that United’s option for Henríquez would last until 2014. Henríquez himself had met with Sir Alex Ferguson and discussed the possibility of ever playing for United. Thoroughly informed, Henríquez told Chilean media that the mighty Scot had expressed his wish for him to have first team football in Chile under his belt before coming to England. This in order for Henríquez to develop in what he considered safe surroundings. However, Ferguson had made it crystal clear that he counted on him for the future.

When Jorge Sampaoli and Universidad de Chile lifted the Copa Sudamericana in late 2011 it effectively meant selling their most prized asset. After having ravelled through opposition in both domestic and continental football, Eduardo Vargas found himself head-hunted by top clubs across Europe including the likes of Chelsea. Eventually he signed with Napoli. Not only did Vargas leave, but club legend and cult hero Diego Rivarola decided to call it quits. The interesting part about Rivarola and Henríquez was that not only did they resemble in their style of play, but they also looked very similar. The fans played along with the moniker of Ángelo Henríquez being the heir to Rivarola’s throne and named him “Gohan”. Gohan is the son of Goku in the Japanese cartoon Dragon Ball Z. And who had the fans named Goku in the past? Diego Rivarola of course. To make the passing of the torch complete, Rivarola handed down his coveted number seven shirt to his young successor. A new era had begun.

Despite the fans’ cries for a replacement for striker Gustavo Canales, who left the club before the 2012 Apertura season could start, Jorge Sampaoli decided to put his faith in the then 17-year old Chilean prospect. Having built a team based on youth and hunger, no other striker in Chile fit the bill better than Henríquez. “Gohan” would repay his manager’s trust by netting in his continental debut against Argentine side Godoy Cruz in a 5-1-hammering. Later in the week, he would up the tally even further, banging two against Cobreloa in the Chilean league. The eagle had landed. To emphasise the importance of Ángelo Henríquez to Universidad de Chile we need to look no further than to the “Superclásico” against Colo Colo. The “Superclásico” is by far the biggest game in Chile. It’s the equivalent to Barcelona – Real Madrid or Boca Juniors – River Plate. In other words; it gets no bigger. The topic that spearheaded most discussion in Chile, obviously helped on by a few injuries to the squad, was “who will partner Ángelo Henríquez in the La U attack?” It was already a given that the teenager would play an intricate part in the biggest game in Chile. Universidad de Chile embarrassed their arch rival with an emphatic 5-0-result with Henríquez getting himself on the score sheet.

Ángelo Henríquez described himself best as a striker. He is pacey, strong as an ox, likes to play it simple and a classic goalscorer. In later interviews he revealed that his hero growing up was Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, though when seeing him play you may have opted to compare him to a certain Dutchman who made a habit of banging in goals at Old Trafford. Saying that Henríquez really does not have any weakness to his game would not be an understatement. Perhaps his youth and lack of experience are to be held in question, especially against experienced defenders whose understanding of the game is broader than his. Despite this, Henríquez possess the ability to finish with both feet, times his runs perfectly, is fearless, is a great header of the ball and does not mind tracking back when having lost the ball. The most impressive for me, however, is his ability to lead a line of his own. Sure, he’s had wingers coming in from both flanks, but when played as a lone striker he torments defences both domestically and continentally. Being a powerhouse, he easily muscles past defenders and beats them in the air with glee. It’s not often you come across a striker who, at such a young age, seems to have everything you want in a top striker. Angelo Henríquez, however, is an exception to the rule.

He also stated that his sudden claim to fame wasn’t really something he worried about. Being guided by friends and family to not let the clutches of stardom convey him to the proverbial “other side” where so many super talents before him have gotten lost in the mix. “I think I’ve handled myself well. I haven’t gone crazy and my family are keeping my feet planted to the ground.” Henríquez did, however, admit to his dream being elsewhere than in Chile. “I want to play in Europe, but for now I’m here at La U. When the time comes for us to part ways, we’ll handle it then.” Furthermore, he was asked specifically about the club that had spotted him at 15. “The chance of going to England is there and I would like that very much. However, there’s no concrete offer on the table and therefore I really don’t think too much about it.” The general consensus is seemingly that it’s just a matter of time before Henríquez packs his bags and leaves the South-American continent. Having being crowned champion of Chile and losing out to Boca Juniors in the Copa Libertadores semi final, he fulfils the criterias asked of him by Sir Alex three years ago. If we take into account that Will Keane will not be on the mend for nine months, the path may be cleared on Henríquez’ way to the “Theatre of Dreams”.

The concern I have for him personally is that I believe it’s too soon. Lest we forget that this is his first season playing regular first team football. This being in his home town of Santiago, Chile for the most part. He just turned 18 and still has plenty of growing to do as a player, but also as a man. The Chileans remember how mega stars Iván Zamorano and Marcelo Salas didn’t leave the continent until they were 21 and 24 respectively. Besides, the experience he’s gaining as a regular first teamer is invaluable. It’s also experience he won’t be gaining any time soon at Manchester United with Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and Chicharito all lined up ahead of him. He knows first hand that the intensity and the level of football in England is much higher than in Chile and probably wouldn’t be against staying for another year. In order to flourish on the bigger stages he needs to prove that he truly has conquered the one he’s performing at now. In my personal opinion, he needs at least one more season in order to do so.

One thing is for sure about Ángelo Henríquez; he will reach as far as he wants. The potential is present, he already knows he’s wanted at one of the world’s biggest clubs and he’s banging in goals left and right. If his name is called already this summer, he’ll to his utmost to make the best of it. A player with this sort of God given talent and work ethic just seems too good to waste away on a bench somewhere. To reflect, Henríquez’ travel companion in 2009, Pedro Salgado, plays second-tier football for Deportes Temuco, while Henríquez has the earth trembling at his gaze. In his early career, Henríquez had to make the choice of pursuing a career in tennis or football with his talent being apparent in both sports. We can only begin to imagine how happy he is with the choice he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I can guarantee that article won't contain any new quotes from SAF. But it will sell more copies of the paper; job done.

It will probably have the line "A source close to SAF" :D

When RVP leaves Arsenal he will surely go the same way as Henry and Fabregas and try and get a move away from the EPL especially the way he was talking about his love of the club and the fans in his statement this evening,I hope he goes to La Liga id get sick if City signed him

Apologies if anyone thinks this is too long

That's my pick up line too!

jordainius wrote: »
    Sorry to gatecrash your thread guys- just have a quick question; can you name any player(s) that has been signed by ManU since the beginning of the Premiership (1992) that has ended up leaving the club without actually winning any medals? (be that league or cup medals)

Players that were intended as first team squad signings only. Only two I can think of are Massimo Taibi and Liam Miller?

Phil Neville.

• Advertisement

will be seriously pissed if that is the case.

Fergie should have a definitive plan for how he wants us to play next season and the players we are signing or looking to sign should brought in on the basis of them fitting into the new style better than the players we have.

Yes, there should be the ability and plan to adapt and switch to a couple of different styles depending on need of the moment, but I'll be serioulsy pissed if Fergie is signing or selling players with no idea on what he is planning on doing next season.

I agree, he should have a definitive plan but I just have a feeling that he doesn't. With our signing and strongly rumoured targets over the last few years. I just get the impression that Ferguson these days thinks more about having a deep squad with players that can play in several positions, and thinks less about what first 11 he'd like to play for the vast majority of the season.

Did we really want to change to a 4-2-3-1

Yeah but we had Ronaldo and Tevez too. Plus it stunted him as a player. Look at him now compared to then. He's much better utilized where he is now. He needs to stop this madness!

I'm not saying for one second that playing Rooney out wide was the smartest thing to do, I'm just saying that because he actually did it, it makes him very capable of playing Kagawa out there a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If Utd are trying to raise funds on the stock market, i dont see how you could possibly be bringing in any more players, unless you sell or contracts are ending?

Stretty news take on the IPO
    IPO – Good or bad or a little bit of both?

Written on Thursday, July 5, 2012 by WEWANTGLAZEROUT in News, Ownership

The one thing the Glazers are good at, is getting something for nothing or getting someone else to pay for it. This time they will use the New York stock exchange and while they’ll be selling part of one endless holding companies linked to United, they will win.

The Glazers still have complete control and nothing will be paid out to share holders. The shares for starters come in two classes with different voting rights. Malcolm of course has put in a catch and he will still own the class B shares which have ten times the voting rights of the class A shares. Anyone thinking of a classic style takeover can forget it and if you were thinking some nice money could be made, there are no dividend payments.

For investors and possible shareholders the incentive doesn’t seem very high. Other than hoping the shares will increase in value and having a piece of paper saying you own a share in the club, this is nothing like the days of the PLC or when the bond was issued.

During the PLC your vote was the same as everyone else’s per share and you got a dividend although small. With this new share issue you won’t get any of that. For the Glazers this is great. They will have full control and pretty much get free money for paying very little out. For the club this is also good, instead of paying 9% interest on bond debt, the Glazers will instead have shareholders who will be paid nothing and they will have put £tens millions into the club. All this money will then go to pay off the debt which will inturn reduce the interest the club pays out.

The debt currently stands at £423m and the current share offering in New York is believed to be worth around £64m ($100m). That would take the debt down to around £360m reducing the interest payments from just under £40m to around £32m. If the share offering is successful it could lead to a greater amount of shares being released but anything more than this is just speculation and guess work.

The document released by the club says the share offering is pretty much to tackle the debt problem. Any speculation on future share releases to either work out the value of the club for a sale or just to reduce more debt are just that, speculation.

For the fans of the club, there is no advantage to be had other than seeing a little less money flow out the club.

If Utd are trying to raise funds on the stock market, i dont see how you could possibly be bringing in any more players, unless you sell or contracts are ending?

You should look into it a little more then, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Stretty news take on the IPO

Thats assuming all the shares are sold of course.
    But investors arent stupid - they will know the glasers and know if they are likely to get something out of it.
    I think they are in for a big APPLE sized shock!

How exactly does trying to raise funds now change anything?

We've been in debt the last 7 years and have still been able to bring in players and spend money every Summer. The news of the intention to float was broadcasted last Summer, just after the club had spent over £50m on players.

because the two aren't completely linked.

United do need to deal with the debt issue, absolutely, but we are not broke; we just don't have anywhere close to the money we should have available to us - the IPO should, hopefully, solve that.

Think of it in terms of most clubs - making signings despite making massive losses. United can afford to make signings, we just have to be prudent.

Money for signings is a short term issue - the debt is more of a medium/long term issue. The debt is no more a problem now than it was this time last season, when we spent 50million on De Gea, Jones and Young.

Thats assuming all the shares are sold of course.
    But investors arent stupid - they will know the glasers and know if they are likely to get something out of it.
    I think they are in for a big APPLE sized shock!

All the shares will be sold most likely, the minimum I expect the club to raise is 250million, if it is any less then that I would be absolutely shocked, and the money raised is not for player transfers, it is more then likely to use other peoples money to pay off the debt on the club, what better way is there for them get rid of it?

I feel you aren't going to really be all that interested in genuine discussion on this are you? :D

because the two aren't completely linked.

United do need to deal with the debt issue, absolutely, but we are not broke; we just don't have anywhere close to the money we should have available to us - the IPO should, hopefully, solve that.

Think of it in terms of most clubs - making signings despite making massive losses. United can afford to make signings, we just have to be prudent.

Money for signings is a short term issue - the debt is more of a medium/long term issue. The debt is no more a problem now than it was this time last season, when we spent 50million on De Gea, Jones and Young.

The debt has actually increased again, and that is with buying back 92million worth of the bond already.

Cash is king, and the clubs cash reserves are being drained massively by this bond/debt.

The only sensible thing to do is to get as much from the IPO as possible and use it to pay down the debt.

All the shares will be sold most likely, the minimum I expect the club to raise is 250million, if it is any less then that I would be absolutely shocked, and the money raised is not for player transfers, it is more then likely to use other peoples money to pay off the debt on the club, what better way is there for them get rid of it?

I feel you aren't going to really be all that interested in genuine discussion on this are you? :D

I would actually be very annoyed if any money raised from the IPO was used to sign players. Every penny or cent of it should be used to pay off the debt. Using it to buy players would be insane short term. Paying off the debt would put United in a brilliant position to compete for the top players in future years. We be better off from an FFP perspective (whether that actually means anything) than any side in world football apart from Bayern Munich.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement