Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kryogen wrote: »
    Another signing completed

Manchester United have completed the signing of Exeter City youngster Sean Goss for an initial fee of around £100,000.

Sir Alex Ferguson has moved to snap up the 16-year-old after he impressed on trial for the Red Devils during a tournament in the Netherlands earlier this year.

Goss joined Exeter's centre of excellence as an eight-year-old and scored 13 goals from midfield for the club's Under-16 team last season.

The League Two prospect professed to growing up as a United supporter and revealed he was overwhelmed after sealing a deal to join his boyhood club.

"The last few days haven't felt real - seeing all the first team players around and the training facilities is like a different world," Goss told Exeter's official website.

"As a Man United supporter as well as an [Exeter] City fan I couldn't believe it, I'd dreamt about it all my life.

"I can't wait to get started now and we've got pre-season games coming up now."

Goss is now focused on progressing through the ranks at Old Trafford but insisted that he would continue to keep an eye on the fortunes of his first club.

"I just have to continue working hard and my aim now is to just push higher and higher through the ranks," he continued.

"I've got family nearby and I'm sure it'll help a lot knowing they are just around the corner. City's will be the first result I look out for on a Saturday and I'll be doing my best to get to northern away games if I haven't got a fixture."
    Manchester United have bought 16 year old Sean goss from Exeter for 100k

Source BBC and SSN

Well how dare you not read all my posts! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Probably has you on ignore.. :P

Who though? That is the issue.

Modric? I reckon there is interest but if Real want him good chance we miss out.

Martinez? If he does leave Athletic I reckon it would be to Barcelona.

De Rossi? I would be a fan, but reckon City would go in hard if it looks like he is moving.

Schweinsteiger? No chance of getting him.

Sahin? I'd certainly take a punt on him if he was available - could play beside Carrick or instead of him.

As Homer points out, there aren't exactly a mountain of top class CMs we can pick from.

For the likely fees involved if Strootman was available he would be a better buy then Moutinho imo

Rumours that Sahin is available and again would certainly cost less then 30million.

Fellaini?
    Witsel?
    Tiote?
    Cabaye?

I am sure the scouting team has seen far more players then we have and although the players listed are not all top class, I dont actually think Moutinho is either, just not worth the fee and I would be amazed if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I am very sorry, I hope you will accept my apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

TheTownie wrote: »
    Probably has you on ignore.. :P

I do not :p

I am very sorry, I hope you will accept my apology

Of course, don't let it happen again ok :D

*just in case its not clear, I'm only joking!*

Some Utd stats from Opta;
    Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
    11 - Manchester United won more penalties than any other team in 2011-12. Tumble. @mjemec_ #AskOpta

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
    16 - Man Utd scored the most headed goals in the 2011-12 Premier League. Nuts. @carlo_mardoian #AskOpta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheTownie wrote: »
    Some Utd stats from Opta;

we also had the most clean sheets and i think we picked up the most points away from home also.

mean f*ck all though when we had one of our worst seasons success and results wise in 15 years :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So from my understanding 26 million sterling would be a 50 profit for Porto.

they spent 14 million on him. Would get 32.5 million euro. 25 percent goes to sporting, leaving 24.5 million euro. 15 percent of whats left would go to a investment company leaving 21 million euro approx.

They are a public traded company so I am guessing the conditions of his contract I have read are actually for real!

probably not a bad deal but would it be enough for them? He still has plenty of time on his contract also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

DM-ICE wrote: »

they spent 14 million on him. Would get 32.5 million euro. 25 percent goes to sporting, leaving 24.5 million euro. 15 percent of whats left would go to a investment company leaving 21 million euro approx.

They are a public traded company so I am guessing the conditions of his contract I have read are actually for real!

probably not a bad deal but would it be enough for them? He still has plenty of time on his contract also.

Seriously, good luck dealing with Porto. They will extract a pound of flesh and then some and you will over pay. Rumours that Hulk deal to chelsea is done and then its not and then it is meaning they dont have to sell anyone else! They are a nightmare

It should work out something like that, the only detail I am unsure of is whether the 15% owed to the 3rd party would be from the total fee received or from the fee after Sporting are paid.

I dealt with it in sterling when I worked it out I remember, they paid roughly 10 million, so if they sold for 25 that would leave them with less then 50% profit I thought, would that be enough for them? They do have a history of getting as much as possible for players, I am not certain they would be happy with getting anything less then 30million for him.......

25/25%=6.25mil -> Sporting

Leaving 18.75 assuming the 3rd party takes its cut from the remaining fee that would mean 18.75/15% ->2.8mil to 3rd party

Leaving them 15.9mil

So profit of just 5.9mil, when they are under no pressure to sell and the guy has a long contract

That correct?

Its obviously even worse if the 3rd party must be paid from the gross transfer fee received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Who though? That is the issue.

Modric? I reckon there is interest but if Real want him good chance we miss out.

Martinez? If he does leave Athletic I reckon it would be to Barcelona.

De Rossi? I would be a fan, but reckon City would go in hard if it looks like he is moving.

Schweinsteiger? No chance of getting him.

Sahin? I'd certainly take a punt on him if he was available - could play beside Carrick or instead of him.

As Homer points out, there aren't exactly a mountain of top class CMs we can pick from.

Yeah the lack of options is certainly a problem and one I feel will be sighted when we don't buy a CM unfortunately :(

I've said it before, Modric is my dream signing, I think he's the one out there who fits the bill most of what we need but a combination of Spurs not wanting to sell to another English club and Real Madrid's touted interest could easily scupper it. Martinez I don't see as realistic, the same for Schweinsteiger.

I don't see de Rossi really actually leaving Roma despite the talk. Sahin would still be a punt, Dortmund form and potential or not he only played two league games last year. But I also feel Moutinho would be a punt and an expensive one at that, but at least with Sahin he should be cheaper given the cut price deal Madrid got him for in the first place meaning they'll be making a profit either way and buying Modric could well force him out.

In short, yes there isn't a mountain of available top class midfielders out there, but I don't want to see us spending big money on a punt as it'd only prolong this lack of talent at the position for another few transfer windows with people saying 'give him another chance, he'll come good' , I'd rather see us buy an average player for average money and move sideways wrt to what we have there and then still be in a position to pounce on whoever may become available for any money.

Seriously, good luck dealing with Porto. They will extract a pound of flesh and then some and you will over pay. Rumours that Hulk deal to chelsea is done and then its not and then it is meaning they dont have to sell anyone else! They are a nightmare

They certainly are, the new Lyon in terms of extracting the maximum from clubs

Those figures look pretty much like mine only in a differant currency.

Like yourself I wasn't sure about the investment companies share being before or after Sportings slice is deducted. If its before Porto may as well keep him.

the guy might not even be a united target anyway. Maybe United are being used to push the price up.

the investment company owing a share must mean he will be sold at some stage though. Otherwise why would they get involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Do ye not think we'd be overpaying for him though at £26 million?

*insert 'no player's ever worth £x million' clichè here*

• Advertisement

Those figures look pretty much like mine only in a differant currency.

Like yourself I wasn't sure about the investment companies share ebing before or after Sportings slice is deducted. If its before Porto may as well keep him.

the guy might not even be a united target anyway. Maybe United are being used to push the price up.

the investment company owing a share must mean he will be sold at some stage though. Otherwise why would they get involved?

Porto originally sold the 3rd party 37.5% of him when they bought him, but they have bought 22.5% back so far.

I took this from Wiki
    The transfer fee was priced at €11 million, with €1 million being paid for 50% of the rights to central defender Nuno André Coelho. Additionally, Sporting would receive 25% of any added value occurring during that time frame, provided it surpassed the previous value.[8][9] Soon after, Porto sold 37.5% of the player's economic rights to a third party, Mamers BV, for €4.125 million.[10] On 3 August 2011, Porto partnered with Soccer Invest Fund to buy back 37.5% of Moutinho's economic rights. The private investment fund acquired 15% after the overall transactions, while Porto recouped 22.5% for €4 million.[12]

If the fee was 11million in euro it changes it a little, but also, if they sold 37.5 for just over 4million and paid 4million to get 22.5% back that will also be a factor!

They have already lost money there dealing with the 3rd party!

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Do ye not think we'd be overpaying for him though at £26 million?

*insert 'no player's ever worth £x million' clichè here*

I do, and I still don't think we would be getting him for that amount, the reason I think he would appeal to Fergie is the versatility he has, other then that I just don't see it, as a big money signing I mean.

If there was interest there, he has been scouted since his young days at Sporting, United and Sporting do/did have very close links then surely the club would have taken the punt when he could have been gotten for 11million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I do, and I still don't think we would be getting him for that amount, the reason I think he would appeal to Fergie is the versatility he has, other then that I just don't see it, as a big money signing I mean.

If there was interest there, he has been scouted since his young days at Sporting, United and Sporting do/did have very close links then surely the club would have taken the punt when he could have been gotten for 11million

Plus AVB at Spurs will be in for him and Porto LOVE an auction!

Plus AVB at Spurs will be in for him and Porto LOVE an auction!

I wouldn't worry about Spurs being able to outbid us, but I suspect that the stories about United being so interested are mainly being put around to push up his price as much as possible.

You could be right about Spurs alright, if they lose Modric he would be an acceptable replacement I'm sure but with Gylfi signed already they may not be that interested either. Levy is no fool either and will not pay ridiculous amounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Moutinho is a weird one. Looked great in the Euros and has seemingly done well for Porto but he had really stagnated at Lisbon before his move.

I'd be happy to have him though. He was excellent at ball retention against Spain which is what we need in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

People reporting Qpr have bid 5 million for Park . I'd gladly take that .

@transfernewscen is the source I've seen .

5 million for Park would be great, why though? why would Hughes want him?

id f*cking give them 5million for them to take him.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

5 million for Park would be great, why though? why would Hughes want him?

Because he is a good decent player with Premier League experience who is professional and has developed good habits. I appreciate that he no world beater but he is a level above anything QPR would have.

redalan wrote: »
    Because he is a good decent player with Premier League experience who is professional and has developed good habits. I appreciate that he no world beater but he is a level above anything QPR would have.

No he isnt

He was a very good player to have in the squad, been a good servant over the years, put in some huge performances and scored some great goals.

That is the past however, and he is not a level above anything QPR have.

Good or decent? which is it?

He is an average player with no pace, poor touch and can't tackle or shoot really anymore, is poor in the air and falls over more then Bambi on ice.

I would happily pay another club to take him.

£5M for a 31 year old player like Park. I'd feel like I owe them a favour for being so generous.

I don't believe it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

No he isnt

He was a very good player to have in the squad, been a good servant over the years, put in some huge performances and scored some great goals.

That is the past however, and he is not a level above anything QPR have.

Good or decent? which is it?

He is an average player with no pace, poor touch and can't tackle or shoot really anymore, is poor in the air and falls over more then Bambi on ice.

I would happily pay another club to take him.
    Er, just because Park looks a bit out of his depth playing for United now doesn't mean he is not good enough for QPR. Not sure how you are coming to this conclusion.

Er, just because Park looks a bit out of his depth playing for United now doesn't mean he is not good enough for QPR. Not sure how you are coming to this conclusion.

I didn't say he would not be good enough for QPR, I said he is not a level above anything they have

He is no longer good enough for United, that much is clear to everyone I think.

He would be a decent signing for QPR, but for the money I would highly doubt it, and they are not poor, they can target someone better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ferguson will insist on a condition in the Park deal that allows him to be recalled for the big games next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

The only thing about Park and the transfer fee is that he is always worth a few quid in the Korean market. I think United fans get overly precious when we mention merchandising when it comes to certain players but there is no doubt he earned United millions in the Asian market. It had nothing to do with our reason for buying him (£4M fee was a steal imo, he had great qualities) or even the reason he was played.

As for Moutinho, quality player and although I would prefer a few ahead of him, at this stage anyone purchased for CM position is a bonus. I would prefer two tbh but I will gladly accept one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I didn't say he would not be good enough for QPR, I said he is not a level above anything they have

He is no longer good enough for United, that much is clear to everyone I think.

He would be a decent signing for QPR, but for the money I would highly doubt it, and they are not poor, they can target someone better.
    Would anyone better want to join QPR though?

Which of thier current midfield do rate higher than Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

Re park going to QPR, could be hughes looking for another real pro who will come in and work hard and get the job done. The have a few players with quality that haven't made the step up to PL quality (taraabt etc). That kind of attitude can rub off well on younger players. I also think park is at least as good as what they have so with a better attitude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

5m and a clause stating he can be recalled for all Arsenal games in the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Cork City FC V Manchester United XI Wednesday, July 25th, Turner’s Cross kick-off 7.45 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That Man Utd Facebook account on Twitter is hilarious. The stuff they find.
    Man Utd Facebook ‏@MUFC_Facebook
    forget and forever **** Eric fryers......he eats the arm that feeds his dinner

Felexicon wrote: »
    Would anyone better want to join QPR though?

Which of thier current midfield do rate higher than Park?

For serious?

If Park is off, then a fee of 1.5-2million would be good business for each club.

If he is staying, Im ok with that too as long as he is not starting or used in anything other then an emergency situation tbh. HE showed last season exactly why he is not good enough for the club anymore, he has a year left, I wouldn't mind getting a few quid for him now, but if he stays his extra year it won't make me lose sleep, he is a body at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Forlan's contract has been terminated by Inter, he has signed 3 year contract with Internacional.

Talking about Forlan, one of my favorite Forlan's moment.

diegoforlancantgethissh.gif

Cracking goal :)

• Advertisement

Park's commercial value can't be played down. 2 million for an experienced, talented player would be a poor fee. That fee for Park and the attention he brings as a South Korean would be terrible business.

also Park had a poor season last time round. I would be hopeful he can still return to form. Well maybe not hopeful, but its not beyond a possibility!

funny how Evra went bad at the same time as Park......

Cracking goal :)

one of the few good things the c*nt did for us :mad:

Park's commercial value can't be played down. 2 million for an experienced, talented player would be a poor fee. That fee for Park and the attention he brings as a South Korean would be terrible business.

also Park had a poor season last time round. I would be hopeful he can still return to form.

But he is a 31 year old utility player with a year left on his contract, how much do you think a team will pay for his services?

Edit, Evra has been going bad for about 2.5 years now if we are being honest, that is how long the slide has been coming, I think the loss of Vidic last year was terrible for him too as the other guys didn't have the same level of understanding as the pair did on that side of the defence

Two million is probably not worth getting unless he is not going to feature at all next season.

On reflection I hope what is best for Park is what happens. He deserves a chance to play football.

I agree with you there, I would like to think that playing regularly again would help him regain some form, but it can't be at United

Do you know that in his 7 seasons at the club he has only gone past 17 appearances in the league twice?

Once in his first season and once in 08-09

Other then that he has averaged 15 league appearances a season. I actually thought it had been more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Two goals in Anfield was not a bad day at the office :D

• Advertisement

ITK I follow saying Park story is true. The guy doesn't talk much ****e so I believe him.
    The QPR-Park bid story is true. Discussing personal terms as we speak. -- The Football Man (@intheknow99)

i swear to God, if one more ITK account pops up Im gonna go all out war on Twitter!!

Not a criticism of you Townie! :)

Just hate those ****ing accounts, 99% of them are pure horse****

If we get 5mil for Park however that is exceptional business by the club imo and I will be delighted

i swear to God, if one more ITK account pops up Im gonna go all out war on Twitter!!

Not a criticism of you Townie! :)

Just hate those ****ing accounts, 99% of them are pure horse****

If we get 5mil for Park however that is exceptional business by the club imo and I will be delighted

I feel your pain. :-) Hes 1 of very few I follow. Have followed him for a long time so I know what hes like.

Important to separate the story from the fee. 5M could be just pluck out of sky by the journo who broke this story i.e. Stevie Bateman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Felexicon

For serious?
    Yes I'm serious.
    And you still haven't answered my question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He arrived at United about 5 years too soon. He was brilliant from around 2005 to 2010.

It's also possible that the English game just didn't suit him. He won the European Golden Shoe with Villareal the season after he left United. Then he won it again in 2009.

His form in the World Cup was incredible. It was like he was dragging Uruguay towards the final all on his own. The control he had over the ball was amazing. He was the only player there who managed to master the flight of the Jabulani ball, and he was deservedly made player of the tournament.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement