Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Dembele would be an interesting addition. Gives that extra man needed for CM with extra attacking options. He holds the ball well and is a good passer if memory serves me right.
    He's loyal, seems to have a good head, 25, Premiership experience and is improving. Also has just one year on his contract.

He's not going to be anyones number 1 choice but would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

KH25 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we were in for Dembele. He's a solid player and could do well alongside Carrick. Also, good news about Nani.

Im a fan of dembele, thought he was an outstanding player in a let's be honest fairly run of the mill team in fulham...

Id we do sign him then at least it means kagawa will not be a CM as I feared!! I'm still not convinced that he would do a better job for us than say Fellini, I just think he could be our ya-ya and frighten the s*** out of teams!!!!

What's this about nani?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Dembele is still pretty raw imo, I think he would benefit from staying with Fulham and developing a bit more before making a move. The more games he plays the better he will become, just don't wanna see him come to Old Trafford and settle for being a bit part player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Demebele would be a good fit for United I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

What's this about nani?

I was talking about this post.
    LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Looks like Nani is staying with us and a contract is yet to be finalised.

Source - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7880643/Nani-very-happy-at-United

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »

What's this about nani?

I was talking about this post.

Source - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7880643/Nani-very-happy-at-United

I wouldnt read too much into those types of stories, I'd be happier when he signs and puts it all to bed!!!

Dembele is still pretty raw imo, I think he would benefit from staying with Fulham and developing a bit more before making a move. The more games he plays the better he will become, just don't wanna see him come to Old Trafford and settle for being a bit part player.
    No, just no. You do know he'd be older than most of the United team? He's coming into the peak of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Where does he play, just behind the striker? Haven't watched any Fulham..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Nani story is true it would be fantastic.

Played a lot/most of last season as a genuine CM.

I think his creativeness and threat going forward would be a great addition.

• Advertisement

Pj! wrote: »
    No, just no. You do know he'd be older than most of the United team? He's coming into the peak of his career.

Just because he is in his mid 20s doesn't mean he hasn't plenty to learn. I don't think he has the tactical discipline to play at the highest level just yet. Maybe a move will help in that regard, who knows but I think another season or two under someone like Jol will be better for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Started off just behind the striker but moved back into cm after awhile . He's not great defensively . I saw him personally against Everton and I thought he was rubbish in cm that game .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It says nothing there about Nani staying.

Just because he is in his mid 20s doesn't mean he hasn't plenty to learn.
    Nobody disputed that.

Nobody disputed that.

So why bring up his age then? Who cares if he is older than most of the squad.

Just because he is in his mid 20s doesn't mean he hasn't plenty to learn. I don't think he has the tactical discipline to play at the highest level just yet. Maybe a move will help in that regard, who knows but I think another season or two under someone like Jol will be better for him.

Look. He has one year left of a contract. He is still learning but is reaching the age where the majority of footballers peak.
    You can take advantage of his contract situation now and introduce him to the team alongside the likes of Paul Scholes (filling Man Utd's need for a CM), or you can let him sign a new contract with Fulham and let him continue to develop alongside Steve Sidwell.

If you tell me he's not good enough for United, fair enough. But to say leave him at Fulham to develop for a year or two, sign a new contract and possibly wait until he is 27 is nonsense my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I wouldn't mind Dembele but I'd hope it wouldn't be our final signing of the summer.

Look. He has one year left of a contract. He is still learning but is reaching the age where the majority of footballers peak.
    You can take advantage of his contract situation now and introduce him to the team alongside the likes of Paul Scholes (filling Man Utd's need for a CM), or you can let him sign a new contract with Fulham and let him continue to develop alongside Steve Sidwell.

If you tell me he's not good enough for United, fair enough. But to say leave him at Fulham to develop for a year or two, sign a new contract and possibly wait until he is 27 is nonsense my friend.

I forgot, 27 is over the hill these days.

And well yeah, in all honesty I don't think he is good enough to play at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I still don't get all this mooching over Dembele.

Overrated.

double GG wrote: »
    I still don't get all this mooching over Dembele.

Overrated.

I think people are just excited that Fergie might actually bring in a CM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If people cast their minds back to when Valencia joined, I think Dembele's 'rawness' is less of a concern. If a player is genuinely good, he'll typically kick on when playing with better players. Valencia certainly did that, and Arteta last season was fantastic. There are others who are shown up, like Charlie Adam, who only ever looked good with the Blackpool team built around him.

Nobody here is disputing Dembele's ability (Edit: Except GG, it seems), but back in '09 people were doing so for Valencia, and from what I read he seemed to kick on almost immediately.

Here are some quotes on Val from this forum at the time of the transfer (I found more but I don't need to illustrate the point any further):
    Valencia is a more raw player than Bentley with great natural abilities but again nowhere near the quality needed.
    He is so average-poor its beyond belief. I've seen him quite a lot and tbh he rarely, if ever impresses in a poor-ish Wigan team.

Dembele's game isn't too dissimilar to Scholes, except he has tackling stats comparable to Carrick.

But bringing him in now, if he were going to be brought in, would be the right move. As well as the possibility of him kicking on a la Valencia straight away, this post sums it up very well:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dembele will be very good signing for us. We wont be paying over the odds, he has only one year left on contract which means we won't be paying over 15Million (Just guess work).

He can add lot to our first team, first thing is he is creative, can dribble and beat his man with ease and also very good at retaining possession when under pressure. His tackling is not bad either, only thing I'm concerned about is I have no idea how good is his positioning to play in 2 man midfield.

Fellaini also adds lot to our team, so if we sign any one of them I won't complain. We need Fellaini most than Dembele as he can dominate the midfield but it would be foolishness to pass up the chance to sign player like Dembele (For around 10-12 Million which is not much for a PL experienced player of his quality).

Meh, kinda messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I would love Fellaini.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

He is the same age as Valencia was when he transferred to united. Dont see the point in him staying at Fulham to develop, if he is looking to move top a top 1-6 club he is at the ideal level of maturity and physicality to do it

VW 1 wrote: »
    He is the same age as Valencia was when he transferred to united.
    Just about. Valencia was a year younger.

I would love Fellaini.

Would be an exciting addition for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

"Why isn't Sir Alex Ferguson in the Royal Box," asked Boris Becker. "Greatest manager of all time."

Always knew I liked Becker!

I would love Fellaini.

30-35 Million (at max) for Dembele and Fellaini and that's it. CM is set for 6-7 years easily. :D

Dembele vs United CMs

AxRVRdvCEAAl195.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd be very happy with Dembele as a signing. Good player and easy to get. No need to spunk a fortune on the likes of Modric. One good established PL player like Dembele with Cleverley and Powell (if he plays that deep) competing for the position as well. Then Scholes and Anderson can be allowed to move on soon enough.

Here's hoping Fergie has his eye on a properly rounded defensive CM as well so the midfield can be completely sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I don't see whats funny?

AFAIK AH wasn't his first account, and his first one wasn't banned or anything but he closed it.

Likely doing it to get around the ban. Only takes one month for a new member.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who's Peter Bolton again? Is he reliable?
    Peter Bolton ‏@PeterBolton3
    Met Jon Woods (Everton FC Director) earlier. Asked him about Leighton Baines. He said "‪#mufc‬ have NOT made enquiry, offer or bid for him"

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd be very happy with Dembele as a signing. Good player and easy to get. No need to spunk a fortune on the likes of Modric. One good established PL player like Dembele with Cleverley and Powell (if he plays that deep) competing for the position as well. Then Scholes and Anderson can be allowed to move on soon enough.

Here's hoping Fergie has his eye on a properly rounded defensive CM as well so the midfield can be completely sorted.

Not to forget he won't be on huge wages as well.

Like you said we need at least 2 CMs. One who can play Carrick's role as currently we have none.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not to forget he won't be on huge wages as well..
    Yep that's a massively important factor.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I would love Fellaini.

30-35 Million (at max) for Dembele and Fellaini and that's it. CM is set for 6-7 years easily. :D

Any chance you would email that on to SAF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who's Peter Bolton again? Is he reliable?

He is not normally one to spread **** anyway, I been following him on Twitter for a while and would see him as more reliable poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Pro. F wrote: »

I was about to ask that very question. If Dembele arrives it would be a very positive move from Fergie. Kag, Dembele, Nani, Young, Valencia & Clev, all very attack minded players. Leaves the midfield crying out for an anchor, putting the spotlight on Carrick again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Who are your favourite football related people to follow on the Twitter lads?

Any chance you would email that on to SAF!!!

Yep, for sure. While we are at it please put everything you posted on boards in a notepad and send it to me. I will forward that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just sign a CM....PLEASE :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Don't know what everyone sees in Fellaini. Sure his height causes a problem and he scores the odd goal but his passing is pretty average. Everton is his level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

jamc wrote: »
    Don't know what everyone sees in Fellaini. Sure his height causes a problem and he scores the odd goal but is passing is pretty average. Everton is his level.

He cost us the league at OT

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    He cost us the league at OT

We cost ourselves the league at Old Trafford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Don't know what everyone sees in Fellaini. Sure his height causes a problem and he scores the odd goal but is passing is pretty average. Everton is his level.

I agree, people looking too much into his performance at OT when he caused us lots of probelms. He didn't even play CM that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Just sign a CM....PLEASE :(

Be careful what you wish for.

Blackpools-Charlie-Adam-007.jpg

Don't know what everyone sees in Fellaini. Sure his height causes a problem and he scores the odd goal but his passing is pretty average.

His strengths would be that he breaks down play well and is a good tackler.

EPL Index state that he won possession more than anyone in the Premiership last season and won the second highest amount of tackles.
    Everton is his level.
    Whatever about coming to United I think he is a step above Everton level.

Fellaini has good close control and a decent pass and is defensively sound, that's what people are seeing in him. The height and goal threat he brings is just an added bonus.

The only question over him for me is whether you could trust him to not pick up too many silly yellow cards. Personally I think he would be a great signing.

His strengths would be that he breaks down play well and is a good tackler.

EPL Index state that he won possession more than anyone in the Premiership last season and won the second highest amount of tackles.

Whatever about coming to United I think he is a step above Everton level.

Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that :)

Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that :)
    I ain't trying to prove anything! But the stats are impressive you have to admit.

You mentioned goals and passing but his strengths probably lie elsewhere.

My gut says Dembele over Fellaini but I'm not sure. It's very difficult to tell how either would fit in and cope. (Chances are we won't be seeing either anyway :rolleyes: ).

I ain't trying to prove anything! But the stats are impressive you have to admit.

You mentioned goals and passing but his strengths probably lie elsewhere.

Ah no it wasn't a dig. Just a Simpsons quote.

Just a personal opinion about the player really. Just wouldn't like seeing him in a United team.

I feel the same way about Nani. Hate watching him play but his stats are unquestionable. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one.

I feel the same way about Nani. Hate watching him play but his stats are unquestionable. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one.

I know what you mean about Nani. I also find him very frustrating to watch at times. I think a lot of people do.

But it's his creativity that can be brilliant. He can be frustrating for an hour, then receive the ball and do something magic to change the game.
    More creativity would be very welcome at United (in my opinion), hence why I would prefer Dembele. But Kagawa definitely brings creativity with him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement