Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Best of luck Park, always a loyal player that gave his all in every match. He will be a valuable addition to the QPR team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I had a chat with my friend yesterday (on Twitter) about whether we need Dembele or not. Looking at how many CMs moved to other clubs for such a low price, we really missed the trick by not signing CM last year or before that.

Moutinho for 10Million, Vidal for 10Million, Witsel for 8Million, all 3 would have been upgrade on every CM we have. For 18 Million we could have singed 2 class CMs.

Vidal is the only one that was really an improvement at the time they moved imo, the others still had a lot to prove and Witsel still hasn't really done so. Fergie watched him and Defour a lot so if he thought he was good enough he would have been signed. Moutinho had really stalled in his last season at Lisbon, I watched them a few times and while he did ok was never really controlling games or having anything near the impact he did in the euros.

That said Vidal was never on Fergie's radar either so it's not like he was the one that got away, you're going down a slippery slope looking at it like that as Fergie could have negotiated for half the Madrid team when giving them Ronaldo and gotten Sneijder, Robben and VDV possibly. That Summer, despite signing Valencia, he really dropped the ball when thinking about the direction of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think the cash was an absolute necessity when it came to the Ronaldo deal to the club though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    Vidal is the only one that was really an improvement at the time they moved imo, the others still had a lot to prove and Witsel still hasn't really done so. Fergie watched him and Defour a lot so if he thought he was good enough he would have been signed. Moutinho had really stalled in his last season at Lisbon, I watched them a few times and while he did ok was never really controlling games or having anything near the impact he did in the euros.

That said Vidal was never on Fergie's radar either so it's not like he was the one that got away, you're going down a slippery slope looking at it like that as Fergie could have negotiated for half the Madrid team when giving them Ronaldo and gotten Sneijder, Robben and VDV possibly. That Summer, despite signing Valencia, he really dropped the ball when thinking about the direction of the team.

Sneijder was obvious miss at that time. I was just looking at CM who moved in last seasons for reasonable price and who could have improved us as it is our weakest position compared to other positions.

I was very much impressed with Witsel from what I have seen, would have been good signing.

When CM has been out weak link, you shouldn't miss players like Vidal. Had we tried and missed it would have made sense but if he was never on Fergie's radar then it is even bigger mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

kryogen wrote: »
    I think the cash was an absolute necessity when it came to the Ronaldo deal to the club though.

definitely!

Its not like Sneijder, VDV or Robben were gonna pay off the interest on our debts now were they :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Watching SSN here, and I do believe that is probably the first time i've heard Park speak - and listening to him, I can't understand why - he speaks better than a lot of people that are in english-speaking countries for a lot longer than him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ben Amos could join Hull on loan. This taken from the transfer speculation on the Utd website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Samich wrote: »
    Ben Amos could join Hull on loan. This taken from the transfer speculation on the Utd website.

396912_484830708211048_1317054139_n.jpg

Looks like that move will go ahead :p

Amos to Hull was sorted yesterday afaik, Cofie is off to Sheff Utd.

This bit of transfer gossip gave me a laugh today
    Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha, citing the English press, believe Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is "closely following" United's negotiations with Nani over a new contract. The winger still has two years left on his present deal so any thoughts of a switch across the city, as originally forwarded by the Daily Star, would surely be unlikely in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lingaard looks like he is going to go on loan

Where did you hear this? Jessie's a good little player.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? Jessie's a good little player.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Exclusive-Interviews/2012/Jun/jesse-lingard-exclusive-interview.aspx

Read that earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jaysus the last week or so has been mental, pretty much something happens every day at the moment that is relatively big news!

park sold
    pogba leaving
    fryers leaving
    the IPO and all the drama with that.
    Fabio going on loan, Rafael signing a new contract
    Pig, Owen and a few others officially released.
    then 2 or 3 young lads officially going on loan with Amos one of them, Norwood leaving.
    Giggs captain of british team, De gea captian of Spain team perhaps.

and i am sure theres alot more that i have no included as i was offline for 3 or 4 days and missed some things.

of course, the news we all want i.e. 2 top class midfielders has yet to come and the longer the summer goes on without it, the more frustrated and worried i will become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

of course, the news we all want i.e. 2 top class midfielders has yet to come and the longer the summer goes on without it, the more frustrated and worried i will become.

The sad thing is that im getting used to it, more each day, because of same things not being done for past few summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

jaysus the last week or so has been mental, pretty much something happens every day at the moment that is relatively big news!

park sold
    pogba leaving
    fryers leaving
    the IPO and all the drama with that.
    Fabio going on loan, Rafael signing a new contract
    Pig, Owen and a few others officially released.
    then 2 or 3 young lads officially going on loan with Amos one of them, Norwood leaving.
    Giggs captain of british team, De gea captian of Spain team perhaps.

and i am sure theres alot more that i have no included as i was offline for 3 or 4 days and missed some things.

Who is pig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Who is pig?

Tomasz Kuszczak I believe. Dont know why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thomas Kuszczak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tomasz Kuszczak I believe. Dont know why
    Pole In Goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Is Sam Johnstone going to be third choice keeper then next season?

If we sign Baines, it would mean almost 100million spent in 12 months and not one of them a central midfielder.

surely those who are anti glazer and blame them for everything, will admit that the main crux of the problem is ferguson here and his stubborness around the CM position and ultimately is was this that lost us the league last year and not the lack of funds? 100million is crazy money to have spent on a keeper, a cb, a lb, a winger and then Kagawa and Powell yet our biggest problem not addressed.

ive no problem with the players signed, but surely to f*ck you spent it on the positions needed and weve had a need for 2 new CMs since hargreaves got injured.

no doubt if the window passes and we dont buy a CM, the glazers will be blamed and the 100million already spent forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ed, do you think it's time for ferguson to go it he doesn't bring in a CM this summer?

Ed, do you think it's time for ferguson to go it he doesn't bring in a CM this summer?
    No

I am not Ed, but i'll answer this anyway, no, if he does not sign a cm he should not go, putting up with his oddness is something I accept for what he does with the team year in year out and generally it works out long term.

Who realistically could be brought in at the end of August that would do a better job then him?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kyrogen, stop jumping the gun! This is my point if he doesn't bring one in, do you get a far inferior manger who will get a CM, essentially what is better for united Fergie or a top class CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Kyrogen, stop jumping the gun! This is my point if he doesn't bring one in, do you get a far inferior manger who will get a CM, essentially what is better for united Fergie or a top class CM

What sort of point is that? There is no sensible reason that we can't have both.

What sort of point is that? There is no sensible reason that we can't have both.

My point is at the end of the transfer window if there isn't a CM brought it are united fans happy to leave it at "in Fergie we trust" or are fans becoming resentful of the ongoing failure to fill a glaring hole in the team?

Obviously Fergie, I keep stressing and I have no idea how much longer I can keep stressing, the team is one central midfielder away (first choice) from being an excellent team never mind squad, the squad is fantastic as it is, one player who is bought to improve the first team in the centre of midfield now, not potentially in a few years or to add depth and the team unbelievabele

If Clev and Ando work out this season we will be fine either way but will find it hard to win the CL for sure, the Prem we will be there or thereabouts as we normally are.

They more then likely won't work out though! Ando is practically guaranteed to play a few games, look like the player he could have been, then get injured and fat. Clev is a talent, but is still relatively unknown at the top level. Carrick is Carrick, he should be solid if not great, if he gets injured we are fcuked though and something tells me he is due an injury, his record is excellent.

Out wide we have excellent options, up front we have great options, Kagawa should add more creativity through the centre to compliment the wing threat that is already present. Defensively we should be a lot better with the return of the Tank and DDG having more experience.

A proper centre midfielder, who has presence, who can impose his will on the game, provide leadership and control the centre of the park. That is all we are short really, Evra needs to be replaced alright, but not critically so, his performances have been dropping the last couple of seasons, all time low last season, but if we were better at ball retention his defensive frailty would not be so much of an issue

My point is at the end of the transfer window if there isn't a CM brought it are united fans happy to leave it at "in Fergie we trust" or are fans becoming resentful of the ongoing failure to fill a glaring hole in the team?

I'm sure there are those who are pissed off with lots of things the manager does (I am one of them) but I would not trade him for any other manager in the game.

Does that answer your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I know this wasn't adressed to me but the way I see it is the 'in Fergie we trust' attitude has worked out pretty well in the past, but its unbelievable that he hasn't signed a CM in the past few seasons. I can't wrap my head around it but there must be a reason why. If we don't sign a CM I won't be calling for Fergie's head but I will start to question his motives a lot more than I did before.

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    I know this wasn't adressed to me but the way I see it is the 'in Fergie we trust' attitude has worked out pretty well in the past, but its unbelievable that he hasn't signed a CM in the past few seasons. I can't wrap my head around it but there must be a reason why. If we don't sign a CM I won't be calling for Fergie's head but I will start to question his motives a lot more than I did before.

What do you mean question his motives? :confused:

You think he doesn't want to win things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

What do you mean question his motives? :confused:

You think he doesn't want to win things?

Sorry, that was a poor choice of words. What I meant was I have always believed that Fergie had a plan for everything. Sure sometimes we might miss out on signing a player he wants but by and large he has a long-term vision of where he wants the club to go and what the team should be like. But if he doesn't buy a CM I won't have that same amount of faith. It seems so obvious that we are in serious need of at least 1 top quality CM that it boggles the mind as to why we haven't bought one in the last season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wouldn't lose faith in Fergie because of the central midfield situation. Even though I have disagreed with his choices in that area of the pitch for years, he is so good at everything else the club is blessed. Fergie makes competing for the league title look routine, we'll never see a manager like that again.

KH25 wrote: »
    Sorry, that was a poor choice of words. What I meant was I have always believed that Fergie had a plan for everything. Sure sometimes we might miss out on signing a player he wants but by and large he has a long-term vision of where he wants the club to go and what the team should be like. But if he doesn't buy a CM I won't have that same amount of faith. It seems so obvious that we are in serious need of at least 1 top quality CM that it boggles the mind as to why we haven't bought one in the last season or two.

I get ya now sorry, I think he put his faith in the likes of Ando and Clev, thought Pog was going to be coming through also, and he obviously didnt legislate for Fletch getting ill, his faith in the guys he had brought to the club or brought through is nice to see, but I think his stubborness in that area and imo sentimentality when it comes to players like Giggs and Scholes is harming the club right now.

Anderson was bought and ****ed about with positionally and with what his role was so much that I think it has permanently ****ed him up, he may still have a good career, but I dont think he will ever fulfill his potential, certainly not at United. Hargreaves injury was very unfortunate for him also as he was exactly the player needed and the difference he made to the team was there for all to see.

Cleverley may well repay the faith being shown in him now, but he may also fail to live up to expectation, he was not unfit toward the end of the season, he was just not selected, what that means I don't know. Fergie has spent big bringing the likes of Hargreaves and Anderson to the club and they have kinda blown up in his face in one way or the other, maybe he is wary of going out and buying big for the position again in case it backfires again?

This does not sound like Fergie though so I am not sure what to think other then he is being stubborn and backing his judgement of these players to eventually come good.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wouldn't lose faith in Fergie because of the central midfield situation. Even though I have disagreed with his choices in that area of the pitch for years, he is so good at everything else the club is blessed. Fergie makes competing for the league title look routine, we'll never see a manager like that again.

Exactly

The MUFC Academy‏@mrmujac

Tom Thorpe having a good game for England...good to see him back in central defence...Sam Johnstone a little tentative in nets...

• Advertisement

Could of sworn I heard someone say Powell played CM for Crewe last season? If so then Clev and Carrick can start the season first choice allowing for injury and then Powell, Scholes, Giggs and maybe Anderson as cover. It's not the worst situation although obviously with Cleverly and Anderson's injury record and Giggs and Scholes' age another player will nearly definitely be needed...

Powell is attack minded afaik, can even play as a striker.

Don't know what he would be like in cm though tbh so I won't comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Could of sworn I heard someone say Powell played CM for Crewe last season? If so then Clev and Carrick can start the season first choice allowing for injury and then Powell, Scholes, Giggs and maybe Anderson as cover. It's not the worst situation although obviously with Cleverly and Anderson's injury record and Giggs and Scholes' age another player will nearly definitely be needed...

I was under the impression he was also a CM? Is this not the case

He's an AM or could play as a striker, but he's young, he's the kind of player who could play pretty much anywhere tbh, like Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I'd be shocked if Fergie has him earmarked for anything other than a goalscoring midfielder ala Scholes. A bit ambitious to say the least but you've got to aim high and it would be nice to have a midfielder again who can chip in with some goals.

Of course his eye for goal could be knocked out of him a bit like Anderson but lets hope that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Fergie has him earmarked for anything other than a goalscoring midfielder ala Scholes. A bit ambitious to say the least but you've got to aim high and it would be nice to have a midfielder again who can chip in with some goals.

Of course his eye for goal could be knocked out of him a bit like Anderson but lets hope that doesn't happen.
    Anderson only ever had eyes for row Z when he joined, there was nothing to knock out of him...

no, but some of the stuff that he has done over the last 2 years has tarnised his legacy a little. once the window shut last summer i said at the time that it would rank as his biggest mistake not addressing our CM problems and if that is to happen again this summer, it really starts to cast doubts over him.

ill fully support him, but at this stage its like he is doing this on purpose or else is totally oblivious to the shocking football that we played for most of last season.

the real sad thing is, we were seconds away from winning the league and once scholes came back, the teams fortunes changed.

on another note, would powell be overage for that u-19 tournament or just not picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I get that you have a gripe with Fergie Homer but tarnished his legacy (even a little) is bollocks

Anderson only ever had eyes for row Z when he joined, there was nothing to knock out of him...

Not true Im afraid

Edit: I should go further, he was rated as one of the brightest attacking midfielders in the world for his age, he moved to Porto very quickly and he was very unfortunate to break his leg quickly there, he still managed to score a couple of goals in his 9 starts in the league that year but when he came to United he was played as a DM, an AM a box to box guy, it seemed like Fergie couldnt make his mind up about him, and of course it doesnt help a player if he has 2 or 3 good games in a row then get dropped for no apparent reason for the next 2 games!

Fergie has done this with midfielders before so it is not exactly a shock, I don't think Ando would have been a 20 goal a season attacking midfielder, but he would have been a far more creative force in the mould of Ganso or Lucas (to name two current Brazilians) if he had been developed in his natural position.

Just my opinion of course, and the hate directed to Ando (just about overtaken the hate that was directed at Nani) here leads me to believe it won't be popular, but c'est la vie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Sad to see Park go due to his attitude and application while he was a United player. Whatever about his shortcomings his effort and attitude were always exemplary. His highlights were definitely the goals in CL v Arsenal, Chelsea, PL v Arsenal and Liverpool and his shackling of Pirlo. not a bad collection of highlights!

Best of luck to him with QPR , he ll do grand so long as he keeps snacking on Jack Russells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

on another note, would powell be overage for that u-19 tournament or just not picked?

He only recently went 18 and made his debut for the u18s. So hes not too old anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

FFS.

Barry gets into the City squad.
    Milner is used as a CM in Citys squad.
    OWEN HARGREAVES GOT INTO CITYS SQUAD.

But Carrick wouldn't....

Some times this thread comes out with some real gems of outright stupidity.

barry and milner also get into the english squad, which carrick cant become a regular in and its rubbish, get off your high horse, carrick is overrated simple as that, utd willl not win a league this year with him as the main man, in mid field

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Park isn't the outstanding type, but consistent, no drama queen, always give his 200%, no diving, no harsh stupid tackle, with 4 EPL titles and 1 CL, that's more than a lot of players can ask for in their whole career. Thank you and good luck !!

barry and milner also get into the english squad, which carrick cant become a regular in and its rubbish, get off your high horse, carrick is overrated simple as that, utd willl not win a league this year with him as the main man, in mid field

You are going to use Carrick not being in the English squad as a barometer?

GTFO with that bull****

How does your logic explain Emile Heskey so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,406 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Carrick should be ahead of both of those as CM for England, the fact you can't see this speaks of your hatred towards Carrick rather than an honest appraisal of his performances and contribution to United.

He does have his faults - he has been found wanting in certain games, as mentioned, but the level of hatred you have towards him is clearly colouring your judgement of him. As a player to be replaced at United he is well down the list, and especially well down the list of central midfield players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement