Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ok fair enough, we disagree on the meaning of unlucky in this context. No big deal.
    I would say that Valdes' skill set isn't as good as Casillas and that's why he doesn't play. It has nothing to do with luck.
    Again, no big deal though

The luck isn't about the skillset, its about the fact he is eligible for a Spain side that is currently chock full of all time greats. Its perfectly reasonable to state that a brilliant player is unlucky to be up against some of the greatest players of all time.

The likes of Valdes would have walked onto 95% of international teams in his career, unlucky for him he was eligible for one of the few teams to have a better keeper available. Its outside his control, therefore unlucky.

By your logic, its not that George Best wasn't unlucky to play for Northern Ireland and so never play in a major international final, its that he wasnt good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Felexicon

ceegee wrote: »
    But Valdes IS good enough to play for Spain. If he was around at any other point in time im the last century hed have collected far more caps. He's unlucky to happen to be from the same country and of the same age group as one of the top keepers of all time. Valdes is IMO in the top 5 keepers in the world, to say that a player of that quality not getting his game isnt unlucky is idiocy

I know what you're saying. I think you may not get what I mean by this though.
    I'll say, yes Valdes is unlucky, but only in regards to the timing of his career.
    My point is that he cannot change the era he's playing in and it just so happens there is a better keeper for his country. This is not unlucky it is unfortunate.
    If you see this as being unlucky then you are also saying Iker is lucky to have his caps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Whats with the personal stuff? I don't want to read that crap. I don't want to read it and Kyrogen shouldn't get it thrown in his direction. Its just not good form.
    ---
    Anyhow,

Homer has a point, United need more than one type of midfielder. I hope at least one player is brough in. For the moment I would rather focis on what United actually have.

I really hope Cleverley can stay fit this season to see what he is really made of over a long period.

I think he could link up really well with Kagawa. If Kagawa is played in his Dortmund position it would be great to watch players running off his passes, Nani, Chico, Welbeck, Rooney would all love it.

hopefully Clev can play a part in getting the ball to kagawa quickly and in space.

The luck isn't about the skillset, its about the fact he is eligible for a Spain side that is currently chock full of all time greats. Its perfectly reasonable to state that a brilliant player is unlucky to be up against some of the greatest players of all time.

The likes of Valdes would have walked onto 95% of international teams in his career, unlucky for him he was eligible for one of the few teams to have a better keeper available. Its outside his control, therefore unlucky.

By your logic, its not that George Best wasn't unlucky to play for Northern Ireland and so never play in a major international final, its that he wasnt good enough.

No, not at all. His teammates weren't good enough, the same as Giggs and Wales. But that's not unlucky that's just fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I know what you're saying. I think you may not get what I mean by this though.
    I'll say, yes Valdes is unlucky, but only in regards to the timing of his career.
    My point is that he cannot change the era he's playing in and it just so happens there is a better keeper for his country. This is not unlucky it is unfortunate.
    If you see this as being unlucky then you are also saying Iker is lucky to have his caps

892eea063291ec66d277d3ff18d2d7cd.png?1341911555

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Whats with the personal stuff? I don't want to read that crap. I don't want to read it and Kyrogen shouldn't get it thrown in his direction. Its just not good form.
    ---
    Anyhow,

Homer has a point, United need more than one type of midfielder. I hope at least one player is brough in. For the moment I would rather focis on what United actually have.

I really hope Cleverley can stay fit this season to see what he is really made of over a long period.

I think he could link up really well with Kagawa. If Kagawa is played in his Dortmund position it would be great to watch players running off his passes, Nani, Chico, Welbeck, Rooney would all love it.

hopefully Clev can play a part in getting the ball to kagawa quickly and in space.
    Yeah I really want to see him get a good run of 10 - 12 games at the start of the season to see what he's made of. We've been waiting a good while for him to break through but another long term injury would be a disaster for him aswell as the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

This is not unlucky it is unfortunate.

tumblr_m68ldjiHdh1rrdwdy.gif

kryogen wrote: »
    892eea063291ec66d277d3ff18d2d7cd.png?1341911555
    I'm in work man, sorry can't see what you posted

This is not unlucky it is unfortunate.

Erm, unlucky and unfortunate are the same thing.

alproctor wrote: »
    tumblr_m68ldjiHdh1rrdwdy.gif
    Maybe I should clear it up a bit. I simply do not beleive in the idea of being lucky or unlucky.

• Advertisement

No, not at all. His teammates weren't good enough, the same as Giggs and Wales. But that's not unlucky that's just fact.

Nice and slowly now,

A player with the abilities of George Best should really have gotten to showcase his talents at a major international tournamet.

It is unlucky for him that he was born in Northern Ireland and never got the opportunity.

Nice and slowly now,

A player with the abilities of George Best should really have gotten to showcase his talents at a major international tournamet.

It is unlucky for him that he was born in Northern Ireland and never got the opportunity.
    But if he wasn't born in Northern Ireland he may not have developed to be the same player. So is he also lucky to have been born in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

I have to laugh at the articles being written about Lucas. It's like the people who write this stuff haven't followed Fergie and Man Utd all these years. When has Fergie ever dropped £25m-£30m on a young kid from South America with no European football experience? Fergie bangs on about "value", well this certainly isn't value. It would be a huge risk on his and the clubs part. Many clubs have got burnt throwing money at the next big thing in South America and while there may be genuine interest on our part I don't see us spending that sort of cash on such a big gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Why do you think this is so? Genuinely, how do you come to the conclusion that you would be unable to pick up from watching a player/team play many times whether a player is a good leader, or whether his team mates respect him or not?

Would a player being made captain of his national team be a good indicator to you of how he is viewed by his manager in terms of leadership?
    Of course being made a captain of your national team would suggest that a particular manager would think that you are a good leader. Then again, Joey Barton has been captain at clubs and considered a good leader. Evra has been de facto captain of France and United in recent years and he's hardly led by example. The captaincy is an old-fashioned way of gauging leadership qualities. What is a good leader relative to football, though? It's a fairly abstract concept. Anyway, I digress.

I would not place any stock in things that are just hunches. No evidence has been provided by you to say that Martinez is respected by teammates and opposition alike (your words). It is very hard to provide such evidence. This is why I can understood where Felexicon is coming from. He cannot understand how you can make such definitive statements on leadership and respect. Neither can I.

Maybe I should clear it up a bit. I simply do not beleive in the idea of being lucky or unlucky.
    But if he wasn't born in Northern Ireland he may not have developed to be the same player. So is he also lucky to have been born in Northern Ireland

Despite your hatred of me, I like you.:)

Jesus lads give it up! It's borderline embarrassing the past few pages.

Of course being made a captain of your national team would suggest that a particular manager would think that you are a good leader. Then again, Joey Barton has been captain at clubs and considered a good leader. Evra has been de facto captain of France and United in recent years and he's hardly led by example. The captaincy is an old-fashioned way of gauging leadership qualities. What is a good leader relative to football, though? It's a fairly abstract concept. Anyway, I digress.

I would not place any stock in things that are just hunches. No evidence has been provided by you to say that Martinez is respected by teammates and opposition alike (your words). It is very hard to provide such evidence. This is why I can understood where Felexicon is coming from. He cannot understand how you can make such definitive statements on leadership and respect. Neither can I.

I can make the statements based on my own opinion having watched him alot, what kind of proof is actually going to be acceptable to you on the matter? For me it is not a hunch, you can google things for yourself if you were so inclined and find some comments from teammates, from opposition players, from his managers etc to gauge what they think of him.

That might provide you with something you would find acceptable other then my opinion on the matter?

Its ok to me that you cannot understand how I can have an opinion on something, I am sure there are plenty of things you have an opinion on that I would not understand. You don't have to believe that he is a good leader or has a presence, but to suggest to me that there is no way I can have that opinion is wrong imo

Despite your hatred of me, I like you.:)
    Sorry, I meant would you think it also makes him lucky to have been born in Northern Ireland.
    But then again I think you knew that

---
    Anyhow,

Hopefully he will, it would be great if Clev turned out to be the midfielder we all want signed :) much easier that way.

• Advertisement

Hopefully he will, it would be great if Clev turned out to be the midfielder we all want signed :) much easier that way.
    Yeah he strikes me as a great leader, and you can see his teammates and the opposition really respect him.
    He's also an incredibley lucky person, so with him in the team we can't lose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I don't think you have to be in dressing room or close to player to see how influential the player is.

When Tevez was made captain, most (even non ManCity fans) said Kompany is the better choice as he is influential. It was not hard to see Kompany was very influential player.

Likewise there are players like Casillas, Gerrard, Vidic, Terry, Lampard, Zanetti, Nesta and many players whom you can say there are influential players without even playing with them.

Likewise I agree with Kryogen that Martinez is a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Alan Smith gone to MK Dons on a permanent transfer. Always liked him as a player, always gave 110%.

Alan Smith gone to MK Dons on a permanent transfer. Always liked him as a player, always gave 110%.

Was just saying it in the summer transfer thread, I hope the move works out for him, always have fond memories of him

Always liked Alan Smith, even in his Leeds days. Really hard worker and never seemed to mind the fact he was constantly played out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Still have a jersey with Smith 14. Loved his commitment.

• Advertisement

Was just saying it in the summer transfer thread, I hope the move works out for him, always have fond memories of him

The forgotten man is back.. What a game that was. Like Park always gave 110% in every game.

This was some goal, one touch passing from our half to the finish.
    alan-smith-2.jpg

I can make the statements based on my own opinion having watched him alot, what kind of proof is actually going to be acceptable to you on the matter? For me it is not a hunch, you can google things for yourself if you were so inclined and find some comments from teammates, from opposition players, from his managers etc to gauge what they think of him.
    Can you link to these? The burden of proof is not on me, tbf. If there are loads of quotes and **** from opposition players in particular (my main gripe from your post) then I'll understand why you posted it.

Can you link to these? The burden of proof is not on me, tbf. If there are loads of quotes and **** from opposition players in particular (my main gripe from your post) then I'll understand why you posted it.

It is my opinion, I do not need to prove it to you, as I said, if comments from others will help form your own opinion of it then you search for yourself :) Its not hard to do or very time consuming.

I have already said it is ok with me if you don't understand or flat out disagree with my opinion. Not an issue at all. The issue I disagree with is someone telling me it is impossible for me to come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

regarding Smith, at newcastle they by and large, absolutely hated him i think....

It is my opinion, I do not need to prove it to you, as I said, if comments from others will help form your own opinion of it then you search for yourself :) Its not hard to do or very time consuming.

I have already said it is ok with me if you don't understand or flat out disagree with my opinion. Not an issue at all. The issue I disagree with is someone telling me it is impossible for me to come to that conclusion.
    That's all cool, but don't get all wambulancey and suggest that people are stupid and foolish when they think that your post lacked substance.

Just for the record, though, this is not a blog. If somebody calls you out and asks for some proof then it's usually good form to provide it. If I made a claim that Martinez is not respected by his teammates and opposition players and that his manager didn't feel he was leadership material, then you would be perfectly within your rights to call me out on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Whats people thoughts on Baines, is it all just tabloid bullsh1t ?!
    Surely if we are looking to get Baines in, it must mean Evra out, both would expect to be in the starting 11 and i doubt either would be happy as a sub.

That's all cool, but don't get all wambulancey and suggest that people are stupid and foolish when they think that your post lacked substance.

Just for the record, though, this is not a blog. If somebody calls you out and asks for some proof then it's usually good form to provide it. If I made a claim that Martinez is not respected by his teammates and opposition players and that his manager didn't feel he was leadership material, then you would be perfectly within your rights to call me out on that.

Wambulancey? It is not me who gets the feathers ruffled my good man.

You don't seem to understand which part I find stupid though, when someone flat out says my opinion is bull**** and impossible to hold when that is clearly false is idiotic.

Thank you for explaining how public message boards work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,407 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Surely if we are looking to get Baines in, it must mean Evra out, both would expect to be in the starting 11 and i doubt either would be happy as a sub.

I reckon we are certainly in for him.

Hopefully it isn't close to the 15million being spoken of.

No idea what it would mean for Evra. We'd surely need both, otherwise we'd only ave one left back, but I don't see how you'd keep both happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

If we sign Baines, expect him to start most if not all premership games certainly, no biggie, Patrice will be at Loftus Road most weekends anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That's a very disrespectful and patronising response, show a bit of maturity.

As Fabio is out on loan I think Baines signing would not mean Evra leaving. I would see Evra staying for the 2012/13 season as you need two players for each position.

I would prefer to see a player brought in that could play left back and another position. I'm not sure United need two players that can only play left back.

You don't seem to understand which part I find stupid though, when someone flat out says my opinion is bull**** and impossible to hold when that is clearly false is idiotic.

Look, I'll leave it there because you are starting to get annoyed. I also never said that your opinion was bull****. I questioned the validity of it. Please don't erect strawmen.

Your use of words such as stupid, foolish and idiotic to dismiss other posters' opinions is pretty awful tbh. Anyway, as I said, I'm happy to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

THFC wrote: »

It really isn't, I am sure you could have picked a better post then that to make that point?

Look, I'll leave it there because you are starting to get annoyed. I also never said that your opinion was bull****. I questioned the validity of it. Please don't erect strawmen.

Your use of words such as stupid, foolish and idiotic to dismiss other posters' opinions is pretty awful tbh. Anyway, as I said, I'm happy to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

No strawman, I was not referring to you when I said he called my opinion bull****. No annoyance either, its a message board. :D

Happy to leave it there too.

• Advertisement

But yet you have no problem calling someone elses opinion bullshít. By your own logic this makes you stupid and idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

It really isn't, I am sure you could have picked a better post then that to make that point?
    No, it really was. As was outlined above this is a forum, don't get so offended to the point where you have to start making petty posts like above, its only the internet after all ;)

As Fabio is out on loan I think Baines signing would not mean Evra leaving. I would see Evra staying for the 2012/13 season as you need two players for each position.

I would prefer to see a player brought in that could play left back and another position. I'm not sure United need two players that can only play left back.

I have heard nothing of Evra leaving, though we heard nothing of Park leaving either until he was gone practically! It is the main reason I can't see why Baines is being bought, if he does come of course, particularly for the reported fees being bandied about.

Evra won't be happy to sit on the bench, and may become disruptive if so if reports from the French camp are to be believed, and why spend big on a left back who will only be back up? A player who could cover a couple of positions would be better I think aswell.

No, it really was. As was outlined above this is a forum, don't get so offended to the point where you have to start making petty posts like above, its only the internet after all ;)

In the spirit of the last 5 minutes I suppose we will have to agree to disagree eh :D

I have heard nothing of Evra leaving, though we heard nothing of Park leaving either until he was gone practically! It is the main reason I can't see why Baines is being bought, if he does come of course, particularly for the reported fees being bandied about.

Evra won't be happy to sit on the bench, and may become disruptive if so if reports from the French camp are to be believed, and why spend big on a left back who will only be back up? A player who could cover a couple of positions would be better I think aswell.

Thats it - I don't see how Baines and Evra would get the game time they want, especially with Fabio coming back the following season. Logically Baines signing would make me think Evra will leave but only when Fabio comes back.

the way rumours have circulated for so long makes me wonder about the whole deal. United normally wrap things up quickly or move on to another target.

Can someone post the content? As some links won't work here.

Thanks in advance.

Thats it - I don't see how Baines and Evra would get the game time they want, especially with Fabio coming back the following season. Logically Baines signing would make me think Evra will leave but only when Fabio comes back.

the way rumours have circulated for so long makes me wonder about the whole deal. United normally wrap things up quickly or move on to another target.

It seems to be the case most of the time alright, but for the English players it has been a little different hasn't it? Carrick took a while I think, Hargreaves took an age :) Even Berba coming from an English club took forever, of course Smalling and Jones etc got done very quick.

Hard to know, there seems to be genune interest there anyway, if he could be gotten for under 10 million I would be happy to have him, but the money talked about puts me off big time, if the plan is to have Fabio be the long term left back then letting Evra see out this season without adding an expensive back up would seem the best option. He is rarely injured (jinx!) so realistically the back up hopefully won't be needed that much, maybe he intends using Evans and Rafael as back emergency back ups?

If Fabio is not going to have a long term future, or even a long term future at left back then Baines makes more sense as he will plug the hole until a younger replacement is identified and got in.

My opinion is that we are signing a wrong Everton player :D

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Can someone post the content? As some links won't work here.

Thanks in advance.

Its long!
    After his stellar performance against Manchester United in the 2006 Amsterdam Tournament, when Manchester United announced the arrival of Anderson Luís de Abreu Oliveira the following summer many of the fans were ecstatic.

His first season saw him make 24 appearances in the Premier League and he put some good performances against the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, however since then, his decline in the hierarchical position of midfielders has made supporters seriously question his place in the team and a large section of them suggest that he is in fact sold to cut the losses of what Porto said was £25.6 million deal. Nonetheless, the circumstances around his United career, some from his own misjudgement, leads me to believe that it would be criminal to let a player of his quality go and the contribution that he provides to us as a team.

Anderson – Porto and Gremio

Before Anderson’s exploits in Manchester are review and analysed, it would be worthwhile to see how he measured up at his previous stomping grounds. It was his play and performances that had clubs all over Europe drooling over him and making comparisons with Ronaldinho (although it may have just been the hair and skin colour that gave them that impression).

Gremio – Winger

Anderson signed with Gremio at the tender age of 5 years old. He trained with the youth team until 23rd October 2004 when he was given his first start for the club aged 16. It was a bittersweet season for the Brazilian to say the least, as Gremio were relegated to the second division in Brazil. But Anderson stayed loyal despite interest from across the waters because of his performances in the U17 FIFA World Cup, and remained at the club.

That season it was his goal got them back in the Brazilian Serie A, in a game that has a special place in Gremio history because the goal came in the 106th minute after Gremio had four men sent from the field of play. His impressive skill and vigorous dribbling was something that was different to what the Brazilian youth were producing and this made him attractive to Europe, where it was Porto who secured the deal for his services.

Porto – Attacking Midfielder

Anderson signed for Porto at the end of the Brazilian league’s season in January of 2006, travelling with his mother due to FIFA rules and regulations. He made only five appearances for Porto that season as they became champions, but it was the following season that Anderson would begin to impress. He shone in the Amsterdam Tournament, where his future employers watched on as he competed against Manchester United, producing a notable display.

Some say it was this performance that would convince United to splash the cash on the Brazilian next season, as Porto had only signed him 8 months before. His progress and development in Portugal came to an abrupt halt though when he broke his leg, an injury that would keep him out of the action for more than 5 months.

Looking back it appears this could be the beginning of Anderson’s much documented struggle with injuries.

Manchester United

Hopeful Beginnings

Before Anderson had even kicked a ball for Manchester United, there was much excitement about his talent. He was picked to be a member of the winning 2007 Copa America Brazilian team. He participated in only two games in the tournament, one being as a substitute in a 2-0 defeat to Mexico and his first start against Chile, in which the team won 3-0.

This delayed his pre-season preparation with the Red Devils and his first ever game came in a pre-season friendly against Doncaster Rovers, where the Premier League champions ran out comfortable 2-0 winners. In his first season for the club, he played 38 games in all competitions, only 5 less than Rooney in that same season.

He performed in a midfield two, often partnering Owen Hargreaves. Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez would be the players who would get the coverage, but Anderson played his fair part in the stunning performances that swept aside Premier League teams and helped achieve Manchester United Champions League glory. He complimented Hargreaves brilliantly by being the presser in the midfield and also holding the better passing capabilities of the two, while Hargreaves acted as a protective screen for the defence.

The next season, he would perform in the same amount of games as the previous but having seven less games in the Premier League, having 5 more in the League Cup and also playing in the semi-final and final of the FIFA Club World Cup. In the League Cup final, he would go on to score the winning penalty that gave United League Cup glory. He would also come on in the final minutes of the game against Arsenal, where Manchester United clinched their third title in a row, and Anderson’s second.

Going awry

As we entered into a new decade, it all started to go wrong for the midfielder from Porto Alegre. He was not starting enough games and he was punished for going back to Brazil without the permission of the club and was fined £800,000 for the incident.

When he finally did start, his lack of games caught up with him as he ruptured his cruciate ligaments in his knee against West Ham, causing him to miss the rest of the season and lose his spot in Brazil’s World Cup squad. Anderson’s frustrations grew as he had to watch United lose the title to Chelsea, as well as watch Brazil crash out in the quarterfinals to beaten finalist Holland.

Anderson returned to training in August from his cruciate injury but his time on the sidelines was lengthened having been pulled from a serious car accident. He made his first appearance back when Berbatov inspired The Reds to a 3-2 win over Liverpool. He would turn out for United 7 times more than he had the previous season but the fans and journalists saw his performances as below par and claimed he was undeserving of his place at United.

“This is Anderson’s last chance”

Many fans shared this sentiment prior to the 11/12 season. Anderson started like a house on fire, playing well in the Charity Shield against Man City. In the Premier League, he helped himself to a goal against a Tottenham, admittedly without Scott Parker and Emmanuel Adebayor, and starred in United’s 82 crushing of Arsenal.

All the while, he built up a partnership with Tom Cleverley that worked well going forward but were a little bit open defensively. Anderson scored his second goal against Norwich in a 2-0 win, but 22 days later Anderson, and the whole team were brought back down to earth with a bang! He and Fletcher allowed David Silva and Yaya Toure to bully in six goals at Old Trafford on Manchester Derby day.

Anderson wasn’t even able to retify his poor performance as he picked up an injury that was supposed to keep him out for 4 months. He came back two months early to be a substitute in the New Year’s Eve defeat to Blackburn, contributing to Berbatov’s goals and put in a good performance considering his circumstances and the circumstances of the match.

He then went on to get another injury, making just 3 more appearances in the new year.

Why Anderson is worthy of staying

When United fans complain about Anderson, it is nothing like what they say about his midfield counterpart Carrick, where they question: “What does he actually contribute to the team?” rather it is more like his friend before his move to United, Luis Nani, where they ask “Why is he so inconsistent”?

The path of the pass Anderson played with the outside of his boot to find Valencia against Schalke

Passing

No one can question Anderson’s ability. His passing prowess can all but be backed up by the gorgeous pass he gave to Valencia against Schalke. When he plays for United, he seems to have a connection with Rooney where they can link up very well and create moves of beauty. He not only did it with Rooney but also Ronaldo and Tevez when they were at the club.

Aggression

When Anderson plays, he plays with an aggression that was not really present in best Brazilian talents that were coming through. His physique allowed him to muscle players off the ball and his strength meant he could easily make runs through the middle and have players bouncing off of him. It was this trait, more than his others, which made Ferguson use him as a central midfielder and not a winger or attacking midfielder, like his prior clubs.

Work Rate

To compliment his aggression and strength, he also has a tremendous work rate where he can run from box to box, whether it is him on the ball, his teammate or an opponent. His willingness to run this much is something that is exclusive to him and Darren Fletcher in the United midfield and it is one of the reasons why Ferguson was hoping from him to become available again because Carrick and Scholes provided very little energy in the middle.

Anderson has been called a player who lacks discipline, fire and the will to play for United because of his disciplinary record and the fact that he has become an injury prone player.

Anderson’s disillusionment started when Ronaldo left, a player who he had grown close too. This was compounded by the departure of Carlos Queiroz, a major player in getting Anderson to Manchester. In addition, he was dropped for a significant period during the 09/10 season and when he came back, he ruptured his cruciate ligaments, ruling him out the rest of the season and the World Cup.

His weight has also been called in question, with many a fan questioning his diet and partying habits. Judging from pictures of the midfielder, it was at Porto where he gained weight but he has not put on anything substantial since. Anderson may carry a bit of weight and enjoy a good party (who doesn’t?) but we should overlook this and look at his performances.

For me it is clear that, if given a prolonged stay in the team, he can produce the performances that we desire from a player of his quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I have to laugh at the articles being written about Lucas. It's like the people who write this stuff haven't followed Fergie and Man Utd all these years. When has Fergie ever dropped £25m-£30m on a young kid from South America with no European football experience? Fergie bangs on about "value", well this certainly isn't value. It would be a huge risk on his and the clubs part. Many clubs have got burnt throwing money at the next big thing in South America and while there may be genuine interest on our part I don't see us spending that sort of cash on such a big gamble.
    9 years ago Man Utd dropped a lot of money on an even younger player who was deemed the next big thing. It was also the first time United had ever signed a Portuguese player. That worked out pretty well!

I also doubt United are even in for Lucas, but hey you'd never know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement