Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭KH25

to this day, i have no idea why on earth we signed ashley young. he has a decent season last year, good stats and a good end to the season, HOWEVER, can anybody on here tell me that if they were given the money (£16million) to spend, would they honestly have bought him?

yes or no answers would be nice for a change!

He wouldn't have been top of my list for signings, no. Last year I thought the money would have been better spent on a CM. I actually thought he was bought to play the number 10 role or similar to how England played him this year. That said he had a solid season and its good to have 3 good wingers on the team for injuries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

to this day, i have no idea why on earth we signed ashley young. he has a decent season last year, good stats and a good end to the season, HOWEVER, can anybody on here tell me that if they were given the money (£16million) to spend, would they honestly have bought him?

NO, would have spent every penny on signing a CM (Vidal).

But is he worth the money we paid (Without considering the CM situation). In a long run Yes IMO as he is good player and come up with game changing moments. Still I wouldn't start him ahead of Nani and Valencia but Young is good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No.
    I'd have put the money towards a central midfielder. I would have been happy with Welbeck starting on the wing whenever one of the first choice wingers wasn't fit and then Chicharito could have had more games. I also think that Rafael and Fabio would work well enough as fourth/fifth choice wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Central Midfield as a position is over rated, we can do without! ;)

AVB has said that Modric wants to leave Spurs and that they're talking to various clubs.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7889148/Modric-exit-talks-ongoing?dcmp_facebook_modricoff

What are the chances of United getting him do you guys reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

KH25 wrote: »
    AVB has said that Modric wants to leave Spurs and that they're talking to various clubs.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7889148/Modric-exit-talks-ongoing?dcmp_facebook_modricoff

What are the chances of United getting him do you guys reckon?

given the money involved, the rumoured interest by Madrid, i genuinly think united dont have that much hope of signing him, but of course anything can happen.

and strong rumours that Moutinho will replace him... 2 more of the "available" CMs gone off our list then and as the summer goes on, the realisation that once again we are doomed to another year of s*it in midfield :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes.

Excluding the time he was injured he had a very good season imo. United needed another winger. Two Wingers is not enough for a long season.

I hated to see Rooney stuck out on the left. Young signing prevented this from happening. A number of players could play wide in easy games at OT but for away games you need a quality player out wide. United rely heavily on the wide players to provide goal scoring oppertunities and a mkae shift winger just won't get the job done in tight games.

quality costs 16 million.

given the money involved, the rumoured interest by Madrid, i genuinly think united dont have that much hope of signing him, but of course anything can happen.

and strong rumours that Moutinho will replace him... 2 more of the "available" CMs gone off our list then and as the summer goes on, the realisation that once again we are doomed to another year of s*it in midfield :(

I agree. I've never really believed that we would sign Modric. If we did then Id be happy but it just doesn't seem likely. I think if he does leave then Moutinho will most likely go to Spurs. We're really starting to run out of options here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree. I've never really believed that we would sign Modric. If we did then Id be happy but it just doesn't seem likely. I think if he does leave then Moutinho will most likely go to Spurs. We're really starting to run out of options here....

What do you mean "run out of options"?
    There are more than two midfielders in the world.....

really starting to run out of options here....

"no value"....
    "happy with the squad".....
    "fletcher coming back in february will be a new signing"
    "anderson and cleverly are not injured anymore"

and bla bla bla.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    What do you mean "run out of options"?
    There are more than two midfielders in the world.....

Im aware of that. But they're two of the better options that United have. Taking them out of the equation limits the number of players in that position that we can attempt to sign that are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes.

Excluding the time he was injured he had a very good season imo. United needed another winger. Two Wingers is not enough for a long season.

I hated to see Rooney stuck out on the left. Young signing prevented this from happening. A number of players could play wide in easy games at OT but for away games you need a quality player out wide. United rely heavily on the wide players to provide goal scoring oppertunities and a mkae shift winger just won't get the job done in tight games.

I honestly think Welbeck is a quality winger. Just slightly below Young's level, but a fair bit better than Park was at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Nani is no good on the left. Young won us vital points/penalties.

Young is better than Nani on the left. We were crying out for someone that was actually suited to the left. Also he's English and was available at a cut down price.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I honestly think Welbeck is a quality winger. Just slightly below Young's level, but a fair bit better than Park was at his best.

wow. I need a good gif. Can someone get me a good gif please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes.

No no no no NO. No more playing people out of position and trying to get them to adapt. Welbeck has played on the wing for utd before and had a fraction of the impact he does when up front.

If its to suit a formation, I'd rather rotate the squad regularly than play people out of position. With our recent injury luck well probably be for ed to have plenty of rotation anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You could also ask why are we spending money on Kagawa when we have seen Young is well able to play there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Samich wrote: »
    Nani is no good on the left.
    when-you-feel-people-staring-at-you.gif

i can see rooney playing a f8ck load of games in CM next year along with Kagawa also once an injury or 2 sets in. last season we had gibson and pogba as back up, plus giggs and park, though the latter was hopeless in there. this season giggs is going in to it on a horrible run of form, with injuries hanging over 3 more players, with a 4th pushing 40.

its depressing when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

genuine first class starting 11

......................de gea.................

raf...........smalling......vida.........LB

val.............cm.........cm............nani
    ....................kagawa..............

......................roo.....................

evra in my eyes is not as bad as being made out but baines is most definitely not the answer,val is good but maybe not first class imo,carrick is carrick you no what you get but is not genuine class,so IMO 3 players would give us an outstanding starting 11 with a fantastic squad,put carrick in cm and evra at LB then 1 player would give us a great starting 11 but would prefer 2 cm brought in.

still confused as to why fabio was loaned out but would be furious if we spend any more than 6/7 million on baines.

martinez dream signing
    banega also dream signing
    strootman
    eriksen

You could also ask why are we spending money on Kagawa when we have seen Young is well able to play there .

i am pretty sure that fergie sees Kagawa as a CM in the scholes mould...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

i am pretty sure that fergie sees Kagawa as a CM in the scholes mould...

How could you possibly know what Fergie sees Kagawa as?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think I've ever seen Welbeck even cross a ball. He can do a job on the wing, when needed, yes, but "slightly below Young's level"?

I'll have whatever you're smokin'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would prefer to see Welbeck in a centre forward position. If United played with three cm players then I wouldn't complain if Danny played wide in an attacking three, with Nani and Rooney for example.

As part of a 4 man midfield with two wingers, Young everyday for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

How long will it be before SAF comes out and says "there will be no more signings during this transfer window"

Nani is about 75% effective on the left wing as he is on the right. Nani on the right, Young of the left is what we should go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How long will it be before SAF comes out and says "there will be no more signings during this transfer window"

after he signs everyone he wants presumably...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nani is about 75% effective on the left wing as he is on the right. Nani on the right, Young of the left is what we should go with.
    Pretty much no one agrees with you as far as I can tell, so are you just looking to get a reaction by posting about it?

Playing worse players than you have available is stupid, as MagicMarker says you are pretty much on your own to Sean Bateman levels in your vendetta against Valencia...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

//shudders

Pretty much no one agrees with you as far as I can tell, so are you just looking to get a reaction by posting about it?

Yeah because I have to agree with everyone to post here :rolleyes:

Liam O wrote: »
    Playing worse players than you have available is stupid, as MagicMarker says you are pretty much on your own to Sean Bateman levels in your vendetta against Valencia...

Valencia is massively over rated, a fan favourite though.

"you know what he's gonna do, but you can't stop him" is always spouted. He's hardly unplayable. Add to the fact he's a pretty shocking crosser of the ball (waiting for the backlash on this one :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

//shudders

It wouldnt surprise me,the team are going on tour next week and if last seasons tour to America is anything to go by he had all his business done before they went and took DDG,Young and Jones on tour to integrate them into the squad,I hope this is not the case this time around though

"you know what he's gonna do, but you can't stop him" is always spouted. He's hardly unplayable. Add to the fact he's a pretty shocking crosser of the ball (waiting for the backlash on this one :rolleyes:)

Well I'm personally not going to bother, you clearly don't watch United...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You won't receive back lash from me, but I will ask you why you have such a low opinion of him? He gets more then his fair share of assists and is a pretty good out ball option. He has an excellent engine, is strong and level headed. His refusal to acknowledge the existence of his left foot is frustrating as hell at times but for me the good heavily out weighs the bad.

What has led you to your position on him?

• Advertisement

Fergie has said that he likes to get the business done early as if it drags on it tends to drag on for most of the window, there are examples of transfers that take a while though, even in the recent seasons so don't lose hope of more signings yet. With Park gone and Fletch more or less gone, Scholes and Giggs yet another year older and the unreliable pair that is Ando and Clev left, as the two great hopes fromt he youth team are also gone, he simply has to add more bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Because you know it's absolute bollox?

Antonio Valencia is not over-rated. He is an absolute beast and widely recognized as one of the best wingers in the league.

kryogen wrote: »
    You won't receive back lash from me, but I will ask you why you have such a low opinion of him? He gets more then his fair share of assists and is a pretty good out ball option. He has an excellent engine, is strong and level headed. His refusal to acknowledge the existence of his left foot is frustrating as hell at times but for me the good heavily out weighs the bad.

What has led you to your position on him?

I think Nani is exceptional on the right. He's never played there anymore though. Offers more than Valencia. Valencia is good alright.

But with Nani he can go inside or out, cross first time around the defender or play a ball into the centre to a player in a better position.

Valenica gets the ball and either tries to beat the defender for pace or passes it to the right back or to one of the cms in a safe position. Valencia might work against teams with poor players but against the good teams Nani is far better IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Valencia is a quality player for us and does great in the Premier league, but he gets utterly found out in European games. Pace is his main asset and once that's dealt with he's limited enough.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Because you know it's absolute bollox?

Antonio Valencia is not over-rated. He is an absolute beast and widely recognized as one of the best wingers in the league.

By who? hardly surprising anyways as there's not many good wingers in the league anyways. Walcott, Lennon, Kuyt/Henderson. LOL

Can you tell me the top 5 right wingers in the league and we'll see how good they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Add to the fact he's a pretty shocking crosser of the ball (waiting for the backlash on this one :rolleyes:)

Valencia is a good crosser of the ball. I remember watching a Wigan match, I think it was against spurs, where he put in over a dozen absolutely brilliant crosses right across the six yard box from out wide. Wigan scored twice directly from his crosses.

I watch him regularly for United and he is nearly always impressive. There are plenty of average players playing for United that you could pick on. Valencia really isn't one of them. He may be severely one footed and it is a weakness but it doesn't stop him doing his job well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Wheres me jumpa has just updated the "list" that done the rounds in pm, wink wink nod nod.

I think Nani is exceptional on the right. He's never played there anymore though. Offers more than Valencia. Valencia is good alright.

But with Nani he can go inside or out, cross first time around the defender or play a ball into the centre to a player in a better position.

Valenica gets the ball and either tries to beat the defender for pace or passes it to the right back or to one of the cms in a safe position. Valencia might work against teams with poor players but against the good teams Nani is far better IMO

Fair enough

A lot of what you say is true, but it is poor transfer policy by Fergie that you should have an issue with really and not Val, he is very effective more often not, but he is only able to play down the right, Nani can play anywhere across the line I think, obviously he does his best work from the right, nobody will disagree with that, but he is a great option from the left also and Valencia does not offer that option so it has to be Nani that shifts, he has the freedom to roam alot and there have been situations where Valencia goes to right back and Nani to the wing.

Nani is nowhere near as poor from the left as some make out, he is getting better there with each season that goes by, whether he is happy playing there is another thing, but he claims to be very happy at United so it possibly isn't an issue for him.

Our best team right now consists of Valencia on the right and Nani on the left, because with Nani on the right it has to be Young on the left, who is inferior to Nani, our two best wingers are Nani and Valencia, its a shame that both of them prefer to play on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

By who? hardly surprising anyways as there's not many good wingers in the league anyways. Walcott, Lennon, Kuyt/Henderson. LOL

Can you tell me the top 5 right wingers in the league and we'll see how good they are.

In no particular order, David Silva, Gareth Bale, Nani, Valencia and Walcott.

Just below them would be the likes of Ashley Young, Victor Moses, Nasri and a few others.

Forgot to mention Eden Hazard. He'll be in that top 5/6 after a few games.

Wheres me jumpa has just updated the "list" that done the rounds in pm, wink wink nod nod.

Aw, I didn't get any pm :(

I just disagree, I think the strongest line up would be with Nani on the right and Young on the left. Both players can play to their full potential. I won't say anymore though. Whatever is said is just called bull**** if you're disagreed with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What's the point of that? Saying Valencia isn't good because there aren't many good wingers in the league?

Is there a purpose to any of this? Or are you just saying Valencia is over-rated for a laugh. Antonio was voted fans and players Player Of The Year. Give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bale, Valencia, Nani, Silva, N'zogbia.

My opinion and they all have flaws but I rate them all quite highly. You could consider bale and silva playmakers but I think they do their best stuff on the wing. Honorable mention for Mata but I think he has a penchant to disappear. Hope he has a good consistent season this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I just disagree, I think the strongest line up would be with Nani on the right and Young on the left. Both players can play to their full potential. I won't say anymore though. Whatever is said is just called bull**** if you're disagreed with.

Only if it is. Which your opinion is, tbh.

Kirby wrote: »
    Bale, Valencia, Nani, Silva, N'zogbia.

My opinion and they all have flaws but I rate them all quite highly. You could consider bale and silva playmakers but I think they do their best stuff on the wing.

I would not consider Bale a playmaker? Out and out winger imo!

Silva yeah, can drift around, like Mata etc but Val and Bale are serious out and out wingers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement