Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The argument that Ashley Young, who I like, but was INVISIBLE between October and March, had a better season last year than Antonio Valencia, who won the fans and players awards for his season, is absolutely bizzare.

Biggest waste of time ever.

Good job you're not manager then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kryogen wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Nani is the better right winger but the best thing for the team with the options available is Valencia on the right and Nani on the left?

+1

Either way, Nani must be a starter on either flank. Comfortably our best winger imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yomtea98 wrote: »
    This opinion that Nani is inconsistent is out dated.He is fruastrating there is no doubt but he's crosses are pretty good now and there is less sillyness and stupidness in his play.Nani>AV>Young

His crossing has always been good imo, its his decision making that has always been lacking for me. Regularly taking the wrong option on his bad days, lethal on his good days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Samich your posting style really has changed quite a lot in the past couple of months. Im not implying anything - maybe its the lack of United games to watch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Was just thinking there about the tactics for next season.

If Fergie plays the 4,3,3 which Most think he will then I for one think we are in great shape. Depending on how we play it tho depends on who plays I think.

A narrow front 3 would probably be Kagawa, Rooney, Nani.
    A wide front 3 would probably be Young, Rooney, Valencia.

There is all sorts of rotations to it with Chico and Welbeck to include but its looking good for the attack.

But those 3 CM's behind the front 3 will have to be great. And not only that, they would have to play week in week out. Apart from Carrick I cant see anyone else nailing a place down. Such a pity. Ideally Id have Ando, Carrick, Clev. (Scholes cant play every game, the others can).

Aww, the pre season optumism that gets us all excited.
    How it quickly fades when injuries and lots of games ruin everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He'll play 442 in the majority of premierleague games. Not all, but most. He won't abandon a system that has seen so much success. He will only go 4-3-3 against the top sides.

A top class CM is needed as with only 2 players in there, they need to have all the attributes. None of the current crop of United midfielders have it at the moment. Scholes can't run anymore so a 2 man midfield will get overrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Samich your posting style really has changed quite a lot in the past couple of months. Im not implying anything - maybe its the lack of United games to watch ;)

Yeah or the lack of sleep. Sorry peeps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

GSPfan wrote: »
    Was just thinking there about the tactics for next season.

If Fergie plays the 4,3,3 which Most think he will then I for one think we are in great shape. Depending on how we play it tho depends on who plays I think.

A narrow front 3 would probably be Kagawa, Rooney, Nani.
    A wide front 3 would probably be Young, Rooney, Valencia.

There is all sorts of rotations to it with Chico and Welbeck to include but its looking good for the attack.

But those 3 CM's behind the front 3 will have to be great. And not only that, they would have to play week in week out. Apart from Carrick I cant see anyone else nailing a place down. Such a pity. Ideally Id have Ando, Carrick, Clev. (Scholes cant play every game, the others can).

Aww, the pre season optumism that gets us all excited.
    How it quickly fades when injuries and lots of games ruin everything.

I think a centre midfield three from Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Scholes, Kagawa (on front of two others), Giggs, Powell (Maybe?) has a lot of potential on paper. I can see Jones and Anderson acting as Carricks back up in a midfield three.

The problem is you can't have a lot of faith in some of them to be fit.

The other major problem is that list of players looks short for a 4-4-1-1, at times we will need to play that way and I think we need another CM player to play with Carrick. I would be happy with Anderson and Carrick but ando is always injured. Cleverley (injury issues aside) could do it but still has to prove it imo.

I know what you are saying about the 4,4,2. I'm just getting a bit wary of that system in away games. And not just at the top teams. It seems to be less effective against lesser teams too.

Newcastle away last year sticks in my mind. The ease at which they got the ball into central midfield which totally took our strikers and wingers out of the game was frightening. They came through the middle at will. Even Wigan did it. I can almost see the 4,3,3 becoming our away system and 4,4,2 becoming our home system. That 4,3,3 can also adapt into a 4,5,1 a lot easier when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What do we think of the new away shirt lads?
    I quite like it ,

http://mobile.twitter.com/mallureddevil/status/223130912928448513/photo/1

Yep, the shirt is nice but apparently these are the shorts that go with it...

man-united-away-shirt-600x581.jpg

man-united-away-shorts-600x346.jpg

Fúcking Gingham shíte.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The problem is you can't have a lot of faith in some of them to be fit.

Thats putting it mildly. Between Ando, Cleverley, and Scholes we really only get the playing time of 1 player. Then there was Hargreaves, now Fletcher. Its a curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I love those shorts, I will buy them and wear them all the time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fenix wrote: »
    No no no no NO. No more playing people out of position and trying to get them to adapt. Welbeck has played on the wing for utd before and had a fraction of the impact he does when up front.

If its to suit a formation, I'd rather rotate the squad regularly than play people out of position. With our recent injury luck well probably be for ed to have plenty of rotation anyway.

I actually think that Welbeck is very comfortable on the wing. I know he had a game for United where he was quiet out there - I can't remember what game, but I remember there was one particular game where he was quiet. But he's also played well out there and imo his pace and link-up play mean it's a natural enough fit for him. So I don't think it would be a problem having him as third choice winger. But I'm pretty sure I'm in a minority in thinking this, so it's no biggy.

Re Valencia, while I think Samich is ridiculously underrating him, I do agree that his crossing isn't actually that good. He rarely seems to get curl on the ball, instead he nearly always chips it or blasts it low. But it just doesn't matter because he gets in position, beats the fullback and gets some sort of ball into the box so often he's dynamite. Absolutely class winger he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I thought he was going to West Ham.

I was under the impression he was a left back until i read the article saying right back. United defo dont need a right back. It would be a waste of wages really.
    Central midfield please Misters Gill and Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

VW 1 wrote: »
    How could you possibly know what Fergie sees Kagawa as?

have a read of the interview when he signed....i think you will see he called him a midfielder. when i saw that, my first instinct was that he was going to play him there and was trying to ease the fear over our problems in CM.

you can buy me a pint the day he plays in a middle 2, which i expect will be sooner rather than later ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No because it makes sense and he's not a winger!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

391468_449191798454375_367178420_n.jpg

Valencia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

J. Marston wrote: »

man-united-away-shirt-600x581.jpg

man-united-away-shorts-600x346.jpg

Fúcking Gingham shíte.

Really like that away jersey, think it is the nicest away one we had from the past few years.. Any idea when its out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Read somewhere earlier that it's out on the 20th of the month....

I like the shorts actually, btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

VW 1 wrote: »
    How could you possibly know what Fergie sees Kagawa as?

have a read of the interview when he signed....i think you will see he called him a midfielder. when i saw that, my first instinct was that he was going to play him there and was trying to ease the fear over our problems in CM.

you can buy me a pint the day he plays in a middle 2, which i expect will be sooner rather than later ;)

Haven't seen the interview tbf, but Fergie doesn't tend to differentiate with calling midfielders anything but midfielders. Obviously he has never played football manager!

I will however take your bet and have a cold one waitin for you if he plays Kagawa in a midfield two!

normally have no interest in jerseys, my last one was bought for me in 2007, but that away one looks delicious if it is real...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Any chance someone can post pics of the new away kit, I'm in work and the twitter link is blocked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Any chance someone can post pics of the new away kit, I'm in work and the twitter link is blocked :(

It's 12:30 ffs! Are you in a sweat shop? If so you are probably working on the new jersey.

http://www.epltalk.com/media/2012/07/man-united-away-shirt-600x581.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Keno 92 wrote: »
    It's 12:30 ffs! Are you in a sweat shop? If so you are probably working on the new jersey
    Not all jobs involve sitting on a swivel chair from 9-5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

That kit is really nice, shorts too, really like them .
    Got me thinking of the black away jersey we had with a similar darker share in the jersey.
    I think the tartan design would be nice in a black jersey.

274075065_110b1bf766.jpg

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Not all jobs involve sitting on a swivel chair from 9-5 ;)

Well I'm Batman so I wouldn't know anything about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

lWell I'm Batman so I wouldn't know anything about that.
    Typical superhero.........always playing the ignorance card :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

That away is class, think the shorts are quality too. Gonna get got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Rochey18 wrote: »
    That kit is really nice, shorts too, really like them .
    Got me thinking of the black away jersey we had with a similar darker share in the jersey.
    I think the tartan design would be nice in a black jersey.

274075065_110b1bf766.jpg

I think Ronnie could make most United jerseys look awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Should you not be just starting your shift around then???

Working the night shift unfortunately :(

I did find a nice white kit on google images, is that the one in question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I think our nicest away kit in recent times was the black one with the blue V. Loved that jersy, the home one was just as nice.

Really can't get into the home one this season, just terribe but that white is pretty nice.

What's our 3rd kit this year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

manchester-united-away-kit-0708.jpg

Sexiest away kit of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Oh look, The Dork Knight is here!

DB21 wrote: »

Don't listen to that Joker.

Oh and I really hated that chevron top, away I mean, home wasnt great either, kit will look better once weve seen em play in it a few times, long as we go with black shorts!

DB21 wrote: »

scaled.php?server=534&filename=sad20batman.jpg&res=landing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

IvySlayer wrote: »
    manchester-united-away-kit-0708.jpg

Sexiest away kit of all time.

Eh no! you obviously dont remember the 94-95 kit worn by Cantona when he kicked the fan, best away jersey ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Anybody else not give a flying **** what our jersey looks like? I seem to be seriously in the minority on any forum I post on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Anybody else not give a flying **** what our jersey looks like? I seem to be seriously in the minority on any forum I post on.
    Of course people are going to care what it looks like. You have to look good heading down to the shopping center on a Friday evening with the wife and kids.
    I mean take the new United home jersey. It's the first time in a long while I've had something that really goes with my Burberry baseball cap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

All this season's kits are pure muck IMO. The 3rd kit looks like some twisted hybrid of a cricket top, rugby top, and the England jersey. :mad:

Here's hoping the performances on the pitch make up for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,422 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RVD420 wrote: »
    All this season's kits are pure muck IMO. The 3rd kit looks like some twisted hybrid of a cricket top, rugby top, and the England jersey. :mad:

Here's hoping the performances on the pitch make up for it ;)

the white kit will be, apparently, the away kit, the current blue/black kit will be the third kit. the blue gingham jersey which people assumed was the away top is actually the keeper top - there is a green keeper top too.

I like the white one, but it depends how the collar sits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

the white kit will be, apparently, the away kit, the current blue/black kit will be the third kit. the blue gingham jersey which people assumed was the away top is actually the keeper top - there is a green keeper top too.

I like the white one, but it depends how the collar sits.

It will sit like the collar on the French jersey. Hard to tell if the Utd jersey has buttons, probably does now that I look at it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There's an interview with Anderson on the club website, sounds like he'll be staying.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Exclusive-Interviews/2012/Jul/anderson-exclusive-interview-my-most-important-season-yet.aspx

How are you feeling ahead of the new season?
    I feel good. I had a nice holiday and I’ve had no problem with my leg. This season it’s very important that I don’t have any more injuries.

Can you believe how much bad luck you’ve had with injuries?
    [Smiles] I started last season with no problems but then I started to feel my knee a bit. It’s just one of those things – some players have injuries and others don’t. It’s unfortunate it happened to me but I just got my head down and worked as hard as I could to get back. And when I came back I thought everything was fine, but then I had more bad luck. I’m just focused on staying fit now and doing my best to work hard and give 100 per cent for the team.

The fact you’re such a bubbly character and happy person must help when you’re going through difficult times with injuries…
    Yes I think it helps. I just try to stay positive. These things happen in football. I’m still young and I can’t let myself get down because I’ve had two bad injuries. It’s important to stay happy because I’m at the best club in the world.

Do you feel you’ll be ready for the new season?
    I think so. I’ve been training for a few days now and I feel good.

What targets have you set yourself?
    I just want to play. For me, this season is very important. I know I have to be very focused on my football. I’ll still have a laugh and a joke with my team-mates, but I know I must be really focused on my job. I really want to show what I can do this season, produce my best and help the team.

Is it fair to say this is your most important campaign at United?
    Yes definitely. I need to prove what I can do. I know the boss and my team-mates believe in me, I’ve just had bad luck. I want to improve as much as I can and help the team win trophies.

You must take encouragement for the great way in which you started last season – you and Tom Cleverley had a great partnership going in the first month?
    I really enjoyed myself at the start of last season. Me and Tom did well, but I enjoy playing with all the midfielders – Carrick, Tom, Scholes. I don’t mind. I just want to play and feel good. And I want to stay fit. Hopefully I can get a run of playing, enjoy my football and help the team.

After the way we lost the league last season, do you sense an extra determination within the squad to put things right this term?
    Yes of course. We had so many injuries last season, and bad injuries as well, to lots of players. Some were out for a couple of months at a time and some longer. That definitely had an effect on our title challenge.

Will City once again be our biggest challengers?
    Yes they will be there and so will Chelsea. We just had a lot of bad luck with injuries last season. If we keep everyone fit, I feel confident we will win the title.

We’ve proven in the past how good we are at bouncing back from adversity…
    Definitely. And we mustn’t forget we did very well last season in the league. The Champions League was very disappointing and we want to do better this time but with the league the difference between us and City was eight goals. Hopefully things will go our way this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Forgot to post this yesterday. Don't think it has been posted either. Macheda speaking about the season ahead. Sounds like hes sticking around.
    "It’s great to be back at United. When you go on loan you really understand how important it is to play for this club," he noted.

"I’m really happy to be back and I can’t wait for the start of the season.

Last season was disappointing. In the first six months I didn’t get a lot of opportunities so we decided it was best for me to go on loan.

When I got to QPR things went a bit wrong, though, as I was feeling my ankle a lot. But now I feel a lot better and want to start the season well. It’s a big season for me."

Ferdinand talking about the horrible end to last season and the pre-season ahead.
    "At first it was one of those things you couldn't get out of your mind," he told MUTV.

"For the first couple of weeks you're waking up in the middle of the night thinking about what happened and how it could have ended differently.

"You don't get over it but you put it to the back of your mind for the few weeks after that. It's hard, though, because you've always got people reminding you about it, whether it's fans of different teams or fans of United.

But you use that as inspiration for the following season."

It's nice to be back training,"
    he admitted. "I'm enjoying it. This has been the longest break I've ever had in my career so I was desperate to get back and see the lads and get training.

That said, me and Giggsy were talking the other day about pre-season and how we remember, when we first started, how it used to be sickening when you came in for the first 10 days or so. The coaches used to beat the life out of your legs.

Now things are a lot more scientific and a bit easier on the body, even though you're still able to get to the same level of fitness at the right time.

But it's the games on tour I really enjoy. You get to gauge how far along you are in terms of fitness and what more you need to do. It also helps you get your eye back in, football-wise. We can't wait for the games to come now."

transfers rumours seem to have completely died down....it is both a good and bad thing as we dont have to listen to false hope and mostly rumours, but at the same time, we still have signed 5 players in the past year and all of them were predicted by some papers well in advance.

maybe united are going about their business totally away from the media, but its very rare *hernandez and smalling being exceptions that we sign somebody totally out of the blue....

the silence is defeaning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,422 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

transfers rumours seem to have completely died down....it is both a good and bad thing as we dont have to listen to false hope and mostly rumours, but at the same time, we still have signed 5 players in the past year and all of them were predicted by some papers well in advance.

maybe united are going about their business totally away from the media, but its very rare *hernandez and smalling being exceptions that we sign somebody totally out of the blue....

the silence is defeaning :(
    Fergie will be infront of the media today at the presser - dreading him saying our business is done. Will struggle for 4th if we don't invest in midfield.

Rio having sleepless nights? My left ball Rio. He's completely gone down in my estimation after those Terry tweets, made himself and to a certain extent, by association, the club, look very small.

Fergie will be infront of the media today at the presser - dreading him saying our business is done. Will struggle for 4th if we don't invest in midfield.

na i doubt that he will say that, we will 100% at least one more player and i am sure of that, i just think it will be baines sadly :(. hopefully the price is too much and we pass the deal.

in other news, today is Bebe day apparently, its his birthday......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Kagawa and Powell being unveiled today at 12:30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement