Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

KH25 wrote: »
    The thing is Powell is still young. He could develop into a great CM. Only time will tell I guess. Tbh I had a feeling he'd be played in CM when we bought him.

That's the problem though, it is great to sign all the young talent and develop them, I love how the club does that, but it has to be married with quality experienced players for the team to be successful on the field.

The squad is full of talent, it is brilliant, the problem is the starting XI, there is a lack of quality in the centre of the team. We don't really have time to wait for people to develop if we are to continue challenging for trophies in the short term, and as a consequence, remain an attractive proposition for the best youth talent talent in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Scholes played as a striker when he first got run outs as a sub lest we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

SK1979 wrote: »
    I'd feel a little more optimistic reading SAF's quotes there. To me it appears he's hinting at a European player who was involved in the Euro's so hopefully that would be a CM of some sort. Hopefully anyway! :o

Could be Modric, AVB has said "several" clubs are in talks with Spurs over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

keane2097 wrote: »
    Scholes played as a striker when he first got run outs as a sub lest we forget.

Yup, don't forget Fergie tried to develop him into a AM/second striker role too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Nick Powell: "I've still got a lot to develop, I'm not near my best yet."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I'm happy. Honestly hope Baines is our business finished.

Carrick, Scholes, Cleverly, Powell, Anderson.

Jones able to do a job if nessicary.

Glad on Kagawa being seen as a proper number 10, Powell is young enough now where we can mould him to suit us, it's great that he sees himself as a CM too, I also like his attitude.

I've never been one of the doom mongers on here but ive said before I wanted a CM brought in, now, I'm indifferent, I'm optimistic going into this season, the people saying we will struggle for 4th place need to wise up and start watching some football.

Barring another freak season of bad luck with injuries we will be right in the mix come next May. 3/1 to win league. Tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nick Powell: "I've still got a lot to develop, I'm not near my best yet."

ha, well you don't say!

as opposed to being at your peak at 18, Nick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Kagawa;
    "I'm happy to be here and every day I'll take the chance to improve myself and move further up," he told the world's press at his Old Trafford unveiling. "It's definitely the greatest challenge of my career and I hope to learn and improve every day.

I've always said I have to improve my playing qualities; now I've been here a bit I can really feel the difference. It's a top level club and environment, and when the other internationals join us it will be even better.

I definitely feel the attention of the media globally now. I'm a member of a great club at Manchester United. I think I can handle the pressure and am pretty confident I can adapt to the style of the Premier League.

Everything here shows me it's a really big club and it's a great honour to play here. I want to really contribute by achieving concrete results."

Language is very important to me,"
    he said. "I'm very motivated to learn English; I hope I can learn it quickly so I can communicate with my team mates very soon."

Fergie;
    "He's got an opportunity to get to know the players on tour and acclimatise to the way we are," said the United manager. "Also there's the issue of the language. I'm sure he will improve his English - or Scottish - over next few months, whichever he finds easier. He won't understand my Scottish when I lose my temper anyway!

I think there's a progress there and a procedure which he has to adapt to in terms of the language. I think he'll find the English language will be easier than the German, and he speaks a little German."

Powell;
    "At Crewe, it was one camera and one person," he stated. "At United, it's the whole world.

At Carrington, even with the building work around it, it is a complete change from Crewe. I thought Crewe's facilities were respectable but, to see this, it's a completely different world for me.

I've still got a lot to develop,"
    added Powell. "I'm not near my best yet.

I'm hoping to achieve what people expect me to achieve. I want to show I am a Manchester United player and show what I can do."

Just wondering who some of you guys think is the best to follow for transfer rumours on Twitter? Someone that would cover all Man Utd rumours anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭KH25

kryogen wrote: »
    That's the problem though, it is great to sign all the young talent and develop them, I love how the club does that, but it has to be married with quality experienced players for the team to be successful on the field.

The squad is full of talent, it is brilliant, the problem is the starting XI, there is a lack of quality in the centre of the team. We don't really have time to wait for people to develop if we are to continue challenging for trophies in the short term, and as a consequence, remain an attractive proposition for the best youth talent talent in the game.

Im not disagreeing with that. I still think the club needs an experienced CM brought in. I was just saying that Powell may well develop into that type of player over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fans of our rivals must be loving all this, hearing that a lad who is 18, came from league 2 and who our manager had to ask "could he play in CM" is going to be our new and maybe only CM signing. i cant believe people think that is positive, i guarantee City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool fans are laughing right now at the prospect of a midfield of anderson, powell and giggs for the season once Scholes, Carrick and Cleverly get injured.

f*ck this s*it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha, well you don't say!

as opposed to being at your peak at 18, Nick?

well it sounds like he is going to be trusted to be good enough already for our first team and is probably going to start some games in CM.

A bit more from Fergie on Powell;
    "I think in Nick's case, he's got a bit of physical development to do, just as we would expect of an 18 year-old. But he'll be in the first-team squad and train with us every day.

Football throws up opportunities for young players and we play young players all the time,"
    encouraged Sir Alex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Felexicon

fans of our rivals must be loving all this, hearing that a lad who is 18, came from league 2 and who our manager had to ask "could he play in CM" is going to be our new and maybe only CM signing. i cant believe people think that is positive, i guarantee City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool fans are laughing right now at the prospect of a midfield of anderson, powell and giggs for the season once Scholes, Carrick and Cleverly get injured.

f*ck this s*it.
    Look mate you're entitled to your opinion on this and you make some good points. But to be honest I couldn't give 2 fúcks what fans of other teams are thinking. United have been written of before and will be again.
    Least we forget that "you never win anything with kids".
    SAF knows what he's doing and won't start the season with a squad he doesn't think can win the EPL and CL. That my friend is a fact

Fergie on Fletcher;
    "He has not started training with us," confirmed the United boss at a press conference to unveil new signings Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell.

"He has obviously got great challenges ahead," Ferguson added.

"We are happy to be patient but he won't be starting the season.

It is unfortunate because he is such a magnificent professional and such a nice lad. If it doesn't work for him, he knows he has a position at the club anyway."

Fergie on Pogba;
    "We were disappointed in Paul Pogba, there is no question about that," said the Scot.

"He showed a lack of respect to the club.

But he has made his decision now.

Although we always felt he was going, he never indicated it until he left. That was disappointing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fenix wrote: »
    I'm happy. Honestly hope Baines is our business finished.

Carrick, Scholes, Cleverly, Powell, Anderson.

Jones able to do a job if nessicary.

Spot who seems to have forgotten the schooling United receive every time they play against a good team. Some short memories around these parts.

Well I remember. Never mind Everton, what about coming up woefully short against City in the run in? The 7-1? The Fa cup semi final the year before?

What about Bilbao pissing all over us? What about our routine capitulation against Barcalona? Have we forgotten them? I say that if we want to win the European cup again any time soon then perhaps Fergie should refresh his memory.

Yes we will still beat the also-rans and pick up enough points to finish second in the league, but if United want to be serious contenders against the big players in England and Europe then we need to have a midfield that doesnt consist of OAP's and overrated journeymen. You can have all the wingers and No.10s you want, but without a proper midfield they are just fancy spoilers on a clapped out Lada.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

f*ck this s*it.

well it sounds like he is going to be trusted to be good enough already for our first team and is probably going to start some games in CM.

No they are not laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

02493CE35FE64F8FAE27290E6F146C68.ashx?h=179&la=ar-SA&w=240&rgn=48,1,782,549
    SAF wrote:
    "I think in Nick's case, he's got a bit of physical development to do, just as we would expect of an 18-year-old. But he'll be in the first-team squad and train with us every day."

Going by the pic, if anything Kagawa has to develop physically.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

f*ck this s*it.

Well City fans are the only ones entitled to laugh. Chelsea finished 6th in the league and won games that they would of lost 8 or 9 times out of 10 to win the CL. Arsenal? 19 points adrift and are now sub coming to the fact their best player is leaving. A player whom without would of finished well outside the top 4. Liverpool fans laughing? They haven't so much as smirked since 2009 when they thought they had the league won until United came in and pissed all over their shoes and walked off with the trophy.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Look mate you're entitled to your opinion on this and you make some good points. But to be honest I couldn't give 2 fúcks what fans of other teams are thinking. United have been written of before and will be again.
    Least we forget that "you never win anything with kids".
    SAF knows what he's doing and won't start the season with a squad he doesn't think can win the EPL and CL. That my friend is a fact

ah ya of course your right and dont get me wrong, i hope i am wrong here with the doom and gloom. ive just seen this all before and fergie does get things wrong now and then.

ideally this one player that we will sign is a CM and that changes things completely.

one player can be the difference between a poor and a great season. lets wait and see who it is...

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Well City fans are the only ones entitled to laugh. Chelsea finished 6th in the league and won games that they would of lost 8 or 9 times out of 10 to win the CL. Arsenal? 19 points adrift and are now sub coming to the fact their best player is leaving. A player whom without would of finished well outside the top 4. Liverpool fans laughing? They haven't so much as smirked since 2009 when they thought they had the league won until United came in and pissed all over their shoes and walked off with the trophy.

again, you are correct however the past is scant consolation. right now, the 4 competitions we entered last season were won by City, Chelsea, Chelsea and Liverpool, with the team who absolutely destroyed is in the 5th, being hockied 3-0 in the final.

doesnt get much worse than that to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yes we will still beat the also-rans and pick up enough points to finish second in the league, but if United want to be serious contenders against the big players in England and Europe then we need to have a midfield that doesnt consist of OAP's and overrated journeymen. You can have all the wingers and No.10s you want, but without a proper midfield they are just fancy spoilers on a clapped out Lada.

this is it I would say, as an outsider of course.

you'll beat the shít teams, Utd are renowned for it, but a lack of proper CM re-inforcements just makes the task of winning the big games, and thus big trophies, that little bit more difficult.

at least one proper CM re-inforcement, and you'd be scaring the shít out of the rest of the league, and you'd be firm favourites, because the squad depth is as good, if not better, than City's even.

it just seems as though Fergie is making it really difficult for himself and his team if he doesn't address that area. Scholes' legs won't last the season; we saw that in the 2010/11 season. Giggs' waned worse last season than he ever has, and will have had an Olympics in his legs. Cleverly, whose obviously younger and can logically take a lot more games in his legs, will also be at the Olympics too though.

as i say, one CM at least, and things would be looking an awful lot nicer for you.

if you could trust Anderson, that would also help hugely.

• Advertisement

SAF didn't say Powell is our CM signing, he said CM is where we will develop him. Lot of difference between 2.

He said possibly 2 and at least 1 signing, I believe it to be Baines and other CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Sacramento wrote: »
    Just wondering who some of you guys think is the best to follow for transfer rumours on Twitter? Someone that would cover all Man Utd rumours anyway...

Howard Nurse from the BBC is pretty good I find, doesn't usually post sh!te. United fan too so he posts a lot about us usually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't think any team in the Premier league has an intimidating Central midfield (on paper) to be honest. One or two individual players are above everyone else but I really don't worry about anyone elses set up.

Agian I do agree with the idea United would be best served signing another midfield player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

The negativity round here is lethal lads, fair play till ye's, talk about the defeats against the big teams all you want, leave out our good points, we lost the league on goal difference for **** sake...

Anyway, some of the posts this morning have been shocking, I'll try again later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't think any team in the Premier league has an intimidating Central midfield (on paper) to be honest. One or two individual players are above everyone but I really don't think looking at names on paper is a good idea when considering how a whole team will perform.

Most intimidating for me last season had to be Yaya. Absolute beast in midfield for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Nice watch.

181117_10150958444177746_944581879_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    SAF didn't say Powell is our CM signing, he said CM is where we will develop him. Lot of difference between 2.

He said possibly 2 and at least 1 signing, I believe it to be Baines and other CM.

And if so, I would be extremely happy - Kinda happy as it is, but if we can get Baines and, more importantly a good midfielder, I'd be as optimistic as I've ever been about our chances.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't think any team in the Premier league has an intimidating Central midfield (on paper) to be honest. One or two individual players are above everyone but I really don't think looking at names on paper is a good idea when considering how a whole team will perform.

Yaya and whoever's beside him for city are intimidating, I reckon. Serious respect for him as a footballer.... Top class.

Loved this part of Powell interview.
    What training have you done so far?
    I went straight into working with the first team on some possession work and we’ve done the ‘boxes’ as well although I got nutmegged on my first day! Scholesy is the best player at boxes by a country mile. He’s an unbelievable trainer.

And I cant believe all the negativity here, for **** sake we are just unveiling our two new players and one of them is one of the best attacking player in Bundesliga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Nice watch.
    What's all that about? A sponsor I suppose.

The watch doesn't look right on Fergie.

And I cant believe all the negativity here, for **** sake we are just unveiling our two new players and one of them is one of the best attacking player in Bundesliga.

This.

As well as possibly 1 or 2 more.

• Advertisement

Pj! wrote: »
    What's all that about? A sponsor I suppose.

The watch doesn't look right on Fergie.

Hublot, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

alproctor wrote: »
    Hublot, isn't it?

Yeah something like this.
    503-300x224.jpg

Which isn't very appealing at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

f*ck this s*it.

Jesus fúcking christ man, SAF actually comes out and says that there will hopefully be more signings, and you focus on an irrelevant comment about Powell being a midfielder.

I'm glad I only know your online persona, because if I had to suffer through such BS in person I'd end up jumping in front of a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

likewise, i am willing to wager €20 quid with you that we will have a poor season (and last season was an awful season IMO) if we do not add at least one CM player to our team.

Better yet, since you think we'll finish outside the top 4, a better bet. I'll wager my forum access that we will be inside the top 4 against yours that we finish outside the top 4. Up for it?

The negativity round here is lethal lads, fair play till ye's, talk about the defeats against the big teams all you want, leave out our good points, we lost the league on goal difference for **** sake...

Anyway, some of the posts this morning have been shocking, I'll try again later.

Bollocks. They may be just posts on the internet, but this is exactly the time to speak negatively, this is the proper time to point out our flaws in the hope that they will be addressed. What, would it be better to wait until December, until this years Basle makes another show of us?

If we made these points after a defeat when the league started, you would be the same people to claim we were just having a kneejerk reaction. If we made them after a win you would just point to that win as absolute proof that everything is hunky dory.

You can be all sunshine and roses if you wish, but the problems with this United team are obvious, and its not negativity to point out the obvious.

DB21 wrote: »
    Better yet, since you think we'll finish outside the top 4, a better bet. I'll wager my forum access that we will be inside the top 4 against yours that we finish outside the top 4. Up for it?

Do grow up, young internet warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Pj! wrote: »
    Yeah something like this.
    503-300x224.jpg

Which isn't very appealing at all.

Ask Bernie Ecclestone. He got battered for his Hublot watch last year and then they used his battered face in an ad. :)

The price of those watches is unreal.

Anyway glad to see the two lads starting to settle in, also encouraging to here SAF say that they are still working on bringing two more in.
    Honestly, a good solid CM and I can see the first 11 and squad being hugely improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well the defeats to City were pretty costly in the end.

We lost the PL on GD. That's all well and good, but dont forget we got knocked out of CL at group stages.

Europa league was even more embarrassing getting played off the park by Bilbao.

Had we got to semi final of CL do you honestly think we would have still been that close to winning the PL? imo I highly doubt it.

Im all for young lads blending into the team. I am even happy to have another trophy less season if that what it takes and it may take some more time for them to really mature. At their age its 99% certin.

But CM is area where we have mucked around for too long. We have tried players who are simply not good enough, players who been injury prone, players who have played out of their positions and bringing back players who retired.

Thats simply not good enough for club like Manchester United.

Some people are in for serious shock if we dont solve or CM problem next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Do grow up, young internet warrior.

It's actually a fairly common bet here. Think you might have some reading to do, lad. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well the defeats to City were pretty costly in the end.

We lost the PL on GD. That's all well and good, but dont forget we got knocked out of CL at group stages.

Europa league was even more embarrassing getting played off the park by Bilbao.

Had we got to semi final of CL do you honestly think we would have still been that close to winning the PL? imo I highly doubt it.

Im all for young lads blending into the team. I am even happy to have another trophy less season if that what it takes and it may take some more time for them to really mature. At their age its 99% certin.

But CM is area where we have mucked around for too long. We have tried players who are simply not good enough, players who been injury prone, players who have played out of their positions and bringing back players who retired.

Thats simply not good enough for club like Manchester United.

Some people are in for serious shock if we dont solve or CM problem next season.

Was it the defeats to city that were costly or the dropped points against the "smaller" teams, such as the mini implosion towards the end of the season.
    3 points are 3 points no matter who they are gotten against.
    United have enough to compete in the PL, but are you stated it is in Europe where they have been shown up badly last season (despite a season of making the final the year before).
    I'm not so sure a player like Modric is the answer to uniteds' perceived problems. A bit more patience with Fergie probably is.

As United fans, ye're expectation levels are a tad on the crazy side to be honest. Many clubs would give everything to have the level of success (even last year) that united have had in the past two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Bollocks. They may be just posts on the internet, but this is exactly the time to speak negatively, this is the proper time to point out our flaws in the hope that they will be addressed. What, would it be better to wait until December, until this years Basle makes another show of us?

If we made these points after a defeat when the league started, you would be the same people to claim we were just having a kneejerk reaction. If we made them after a win you would just point to that win as absolute proof that everything is hunky dory.

You can be all sunshine and roses if you wish, but the problems with this United team are obvious, and its not negativity to point out the obvious.

Fact is we have one major flaw and that is we need a first XI CM. We get that and I believe we probably have the best squad in the PL. Now the transfer window isn't even open 2 weeks and the amount of self imploding in here is unreal. If by the end of the window we don't sign a CM player then rightly so questions has to be asked but at least wait till the final couple of weeks of the window to start panicking.

Also regarding Homers comments about last season being an awful season. It wasn't great and we really should have won it when we were 8 clear but at one point we were on course to our highest ever point finish. If Aguero had flashed his shot wide in the final few minutes would you still be describing it as an awful season. We finished our 38 games on top of the league only for City to snatch it at the last minute and add to that the abnormal amount of injuries we had I really think describing it as awful is a bit extreme.

DB21 wrote: »

lol and you are? i offered a bet to somebody about us having a s*it season if we dont sign the player(s) we need. a poor season is one such as last season, winning f*ck all and suffering multiple embarassing defeats. finishing outside top 4, never came into discussion, that would just be a disaster.

i never said we would finish outside top 4 (i think you will see the word struggle) and i also have made it clear that even one top class signing could be the difference between us having a poor season and a great one.

pipe down lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nice to hear Ferguson talking about Kagawa as playing further forward and Powell as being a CM. That clears up any doubts we had about all that.

Imo we need replacements for Evra and Carrick in the first team.

I think the Scholes, creative position in CM is grand now with Cleverley, Powell, Anderson, Scholes and Giggs to choose from there.

Carrick has a ready back-up in Jones, but we really need more quality there because that position is holding the team back big time.

Evra needs replacing and/or competition in his position. At the moment Evra is a disaster and he's the only left back at the club so that needs to be fixed.

So hopefully one defensively reliable central midfielder and one left back are about to arrive. If that happens we would be set to see an absolute monster of a team imo.

To the people saying we will struggle to finish fourth if we don't sign a central midfielder, not a chance. Unless there is crazy run of injuries Fergie will get the team finishing on some respectable points total again. Like he always does. The central midfield has been lacking for years and the team has still done well enough. It is not any different now when you add up all the ins, outs and aging.

I don't know what are you on, I have always said we need a CM, not 1 maybe 2 but I dont see any sense in crying when new players are unveiled.

Had Fergie said "we are done with our signings" then it makes sense not when he said probably we might sign 1 or 2 players.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Was it the defeats to city that were costly or the dropped points against the "smaller" teams, such as the mini implosion towards the end of the season.
    3 points are 3 points no matter who they are gotten against.
    United have enough to compete in the PL, but are you stated it is in Europe where they have been shown up badly last season (despite a season of making the final the year before).
    I'm not so sure a player like Modric is the answer to uniteds' perceived problems. A bit more patience with Fergie probably is.

As United fans, ye're expectation levels are a tad on the crazy side to be honest. Many clubs would give everything to have the level of success (even last year) that united have had in the past two decades.

Any points we dropped were costly be it Man City or Wigan.

Like I said if we dont win trophy this season I wont have a problem if it means we are building(or still building) a nucleus of a team on the verge of good things long term.

I would have been more then happy to give Pogba his chance had he stayed. But he is gone and so now we have to look at buying 1 if not 2 players (at least one proven) who can make this team better.

We have ****ed up our CM for one too many seasons. It's time for Fergie to solve it.

Like I said if we dont win trophy this season I wont have a problem if it means we are building(or still building) a nucleus of a team on the verge of good things long term.

u see, this is the crux of my feeling of despair right now and for the past year. our financial system is dictated by success. we cannot afford another season like last year, as the club cannot sustain it financially.

basically, if our success drops on the pitch, our financial position gets worse. i cant imagine (IPO aside) too much money being availble next year if we have another season with only 3 home CL games, no home FA cup games, no prize money.

can people not see that? jaysus lads i am sorry for being a depressing c*nt today and i normally am the opposite (well outside of the last 12 months anyway), but surely everything is not the rosey picture that most of ye are painting?

do ye honestly expect us to win trophies next year, without proper investment?

Jesus fúcking christ man, SAF actually comes out and says that there will hopefully be more signings, and you focus on an irrelevant comment about Powell being a midfielder.

I'm glad I only know your online persona, because if I had to suffer through such BS in person I'd end up jumping in front of a train.

no need to get all personal lad, if you dont agree with me, then thats fine, no need to start with the insults. alot of people are worried about the standard of play last year and about the problems in our first 11. alot of rival fans think is crazy what is going on. do you not at least see some sense in what i and a few more on here are saying?

i am concerned about the coming season, as with every passing day, we look less likely to fill the gaping hole that has cost us dearly over the last 18 months. and for what its worth, ive actually met a huge amount of people off this forum through tickets and going to matches, i seem to get on grand with them. most of them will vouch for the fact that at least i try to be realistic and look ahead, not to the past.

as i said, i am sorry for being in a depressing mood and all doomy and gloomy, but a few home truths need to be respected also. last seaosn wasnt a good one, it was embarassing for the most part. ill still be there supporting the team at about 25 or 30 games this year, however i know alot of people who wont, as they are not happy with the way things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

u see, this is the crux of my feeling of despair right now and for the past year. our financial system is dictated by success. we cannot afford another season like last year, as the club cannot sustain it financially.

basically, if our success drops on the pitch, our financial position gets worse. i cant imagine (IPO aside) too much money being availble next year if we have another season with only 3 home CL games, no home FA cup games, no prize money.

can people not see that? jaysus lads i am sorry for being a depressing c*nt today and i normally am the opposite (well outside of the last 12 months anyway), but surely everything is not the rosey picture that most of ye are painting?

I dont think the financial position is as serious as it was a few years ago. There does seem to be plenty money available for player purchases and while extended terms outside of these competitions wont assist much, sponsorship deals are increasing in value, as are season ticket prices and the overall value of the club.
    I would have held the same opinion of you in the past but things are financially in a better health than they were. Success on the pitch obviously helps but this IPO and future IPO's provide a decent cushion.

I be honest I agree entirely on everything you say bar the comment on financial situation. Yes maybe short term, but if we do develop better players then success will come and so will the cash.

I have to say though like yourself I am surprised at how many people seem to be happy with way things stand.

Some people's only point has been the fact we lost the PL on GD. Somehow they seem to forget some of the most embarrassing results in Europe against Europe's average sides and more so how people forgot how we blew the league.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Also regarding Homers comments about last season being an awful season. It wasn't great and we really should have won it when we were 8 clear but at one point we were on course to our highest ever point finish. If Aguero had flashed his shot wide in the final few minutes would you still be describing it as an awful season.

It may be my poker background, but yes I would be saying exactly the same things. In poker it is important not to be results orientated, but to focus on making the right decisions. For example, if you fold 7,2, and then the flop comes down 7,2,2, well you still made the right decision, the end result doesn't really change that.

Similarily, it doesn't really change things that United managed to pull results out of the fire and challenge to the end of the season. The deficiencies in the team remain, and with those deficiencies we will struggle to win the big games when they really matter. Its the worst kind of sitting on your laurels to happily pretend that things will be ok just because we ran City close last time. Aguero missing that shot would not have changed the fact that our midfield cannot compete when it really matters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement