Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pro. F wrote: »

Oh ya. haha.

Anyways my point still stands. Don't like my posts, put me on ignore please.

And don't talk to me about poor opinions :pac:

Egg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm not sure what i'm looking forward to most. The league starting or the summer holidays being over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I enjoy Samich's posts. They are consistently terrible in a way I find humorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Samich wrote: »
    Oh ya. haha.

Anyways my point still stands. Don't like my posts, put me on ignore please.

Your point doesn't stand at all. It was shown you were talking nonsense and being inconsistent when you made the point the first time (see Blatter showing the flaw in your argument here). Then you come back six months later, make the same idiotic point again, use the same inconsistent defence of it again (re Cleverley) and try to pretend you never had this argument before.

I'm not going to put you on ignore because I don't like having people on ignore, it makes threads confusing. I'm just going to show you up when you talk bollocks and lie about it.
    Samich wrote: »
    And don't talk to me about poor opinions :pac:

Egg

That opinion is perfectly reasonable and I can back it up with logical debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mod Note:

Lads, can you all cop the **** on please?

There's nobody who reads this thread bar yourselves who want to read a constant tirade of babble.

Put each other on ignore or respond to each others actual points without sly insults. If you continue you respond to each other in this manner, you guys will be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I have completely tuned out of all Man Utd news the past 2 weeks or so.
    Anybody care to fill me in on the happenings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't care anymore, I've only seen Powell in highlight packages and the league 2 playoffs, he was a level above League 2 and and Crewe fans claim without him they'd have been nowhere near promotion. Players in League 2 are no mugs either, there are a few really tough players and he made them look like mugs (this they may actually be). I never bought into the Pogba hype, I'm very much invested in Powellmania though, far better than Pogba if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Eathrin wrote: »

Signed nobody,sold Park,rumoured to be buying every reasonably talented CM but will sign none of them...sit back and enjoy another season of CM misery.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wouldn't imagine anyone cares but incase they do there is 30 mins left in the France Spain u19 game on Eurosport hd and pogba is playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Park has signed for QPR. Pogba is gone to Juve too.

Other then that just speculation with Leigton Baines being rumoured more then once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't imagine anyone cares but incase they do there is 30 mins left in the France Spain u19 game on Eurosport hd and pogba is playing.

Didn't realise he would be playing, how has he done?

Park has signed for QPR. Pogba is gone to Juve too.

Other then that just speculation with Leigton Baines being rumoured more then once.

So Pogba has finally gone? Ah well he wasn't our messiah, though he would have had a better shot here than at Juve.

We started the window well, it's probably too early to panic though about not having signed a CM yet. Right? Maybe not.

So Pogba has finally gone? Ah well he wasn't our messiah, though he would have had a better shot here than at Juve.

We started the window well, it's probably too early to panic though about not having signed a CM yet. Right? Maybe not.

Afraid so.

Now though I kinda hope he ends up in some league in Finland.

Afraid so.

Now though I kinda hope he ends up in some league in Finland.

I was afraid to say it, but I agree. Maybe that's unfair of me, but I hope he comes to regret his decision to leave in years to come.

Spain have had the ball since I put it on :) is he on the left or in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

3663_416672098368479_1982271602_n.jpg

Just chatting about coming to United.

I was afraid to say it, but I agree. Maybe that's unfair of me, but I hope he comes to regret his decision to leave in years to come.

Can't say I share the sentiment tbh, his agent is a knob alright, but I have no ill will to Pogba, I hope he does well wherever he goes on loan this season, Bologna possibly.

In the centre, he has looked decent on the ball and off it, short sharp passes and moving to regain the ball once he offloads it.

Got a yellow for standing on someone's foot about 5 mins after getting away with a high looking tackle that left a Spanish player on the ground.

Been unspectacular since I have been watching anyway, looks like its heading for extra time also

Nice goal! Sorry to France for cursing ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Poor marking from the French.

Ever since Cantona was fcuked around by French around Mid 90's I have never liked the French team. Henry did not help either.

So come on Spain!!:p

2-2 shocking from Spain! Poor at set pieces at all ages :)

ET here we come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw this on Redcafe and thought it was cool...

cjae9.jpg
    guWtM.jpg
    3bJUY.jpg
    jG6qO.jpg
    I8Sw8.jpg
    PEAGe.jpg
    Q9SDG.jpg
    zXnl7.jpg
    3HuIV.jpg
    XI4PM.jpg
    DGUNG.jpg
    5uraY.jpg

On one hand it shows that we coughed up a lot of chances but on the other it shows that De Gea was well capable of dealing with most of them.

Quote the post, I dare ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

You've probably broken the internet by posting an image that big :P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In fairness.. a lot will depend on what they are classifying as a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

God only knows what we will talk about here if we ever actually sign a cm!seems to dictate practically every debate on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pogba having a great spell in the u19 match. Lovely chipped thru ball on a plate for the striker.

Anyone know how much Pogba was looking for before he left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Nice penalty by Pogba in the shootout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

On Fergies comments.

This reference to 1, maybe 2 players. I think it would be a shock if Leighton Baines was not the 1 he talks about.
    I would be certain Luka Modric is the maybe 2. It makes sense. There are so many hurdles to it happening so its a slim maybe.

I doubt he was talking about Modric tbh, that really is a very remote possibilty if the club are even in for him.

Would be surprised anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wonder does Fergie have any interest in Cabaye, Tiote, Fellaini, Sandro....

There are actually quite a few players already playing in the premiership who would give us a nice boost in midfield without having to splash more than 25m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

See i reckon Real are trying to get him cheap. Id say United can meet the value but Modric and Spurs would rather go to Spain.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    If you look at Uniteds success when those players were available it calls into question how correct that opinion is. I'm pretty sure year one delivered the champions league and those players w/scholes provided the base Ronaldo, tevez and Rooney performed so well from.

Carrick and fletcher had already played a part in a league win the previous season.

Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney are all world class and the team played ultra defensively in the CL because our midfield couldn't control possession, but our attack and defence was so class. I don't think the CM should get such credit for that success. And Scholes was still the only player who could properly link defence and attack. Fergie spent big money on Carrick who has shown he can't be that link and Hargreaves and Anderson who were injury risks that didn't work out. (Anderson may yet work out, but as it stands he has been a total crock).

On Carrick it just depends on whether you rate him or not. I think it has been proven that he is a very limited CM so I don't think he was worth the money. You may not think that so you will disagree.

The league success that Fletcher and Carrick were a part of imo came about because we had an unbelievable goalie, defence, attackers and Scholes. I think it is perfectly conceivable that Fletcher and Carrick were being carried to some extent in that team.
    They were not the wrong players at all. Just because injuries were suffered does not make them wrong. Hargreaves and Anderson passed medicals (maybe those two could be argued as having predictable problems) and Fletchers problems were in no way predictable.

If all four were fit the last couple of seasons this cm discussion would not be happening. We would be revelling in the fact Kagawa arrived as he was/is badly needed.

Yes I would argue that Hargreaves and Anderson were huge risks for the money spent when they had those fitness issues hanging over them (and in Anderson's case he was very young). Those risks haven't paid off (so far in the case of Anderson) so Fergie is culpable.

Fletcher's illness was unforeseeable true, but that is just one player.
    my point is SAF did invest in the midfield - it didn't work out and ideally he should start investing again. Powell may be the start of that new investment (financial and time investment in young players) rather than the end.
    Yeah hopefully he is the start of new investment. I would still question Fergie's transfer record on central midfielders over the last few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yeah hopefully he is the start of new investment. I would still question Fergie's transfer record on central midfielders over the last few years.

I won't quote any more than this part as Its obvious we are not going to agree on the quality (or lack of) that Hargreaves, Anderson and Carrick should have brought to the team :)

I will say if Hargreaves worked out he is exactly what United need right now, as is Anderson. Carrick would be a third/back up midfielder.

Maybe the players he brought in can be questioned, I just wanted to make a more basic point that United actually put a lot of time and money into sorting out the midfield in 07 and 08. That SAF has a record of slowly bringing a player like Fletcher through when it would be easier to buy.

The fact it didn't work out could be one of the reasons SAF was slow to do anything more, maybe he wanted his own players to come good or was waiting for (a little too long) for the right player this time round.

• Advertisement

Your point doesn't stand at all. It was shown you were talking nonsense and being inconsistent when you made the point the first time (see Blatter showing the flaw in your argument here). Then you come back six months later, make the same idiotic point again, use the same inconsistent defence of it again (re Cleverley) and try to pretend you never had this argument before.

I'm not going to put you on ignore because I don't like having people on ignore, it makes threads confusing. I'm just going to show you up when you talk bollocks and lie about it.

That opinion is perfectly reasonable and I can back it up with logical debate.

Yeah, so can I.

ANYWAY, has anyone got any solid ideas on who Ferguson might be talking about when he said "one or two more signings"? I'm actually thinking Baines would be a great signing, but have no idea who would be best for us in CM that would be a realistic target for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

ANYWAY, has anyone got any solid ideas on who Ferguson might be talking about when he said "one or two more signings"? I'm actually thinking Baines would be a great signing, but have no idea who would be best for us in CM that would be a realistic target for us.[/QUOTE]

An Everton double would be nice :D

An Everton double would be nice :D

Afro and Bainey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Sacramento wrote: »

ANYWAY, has anyone got any solid ideas on who Ferguson might be talking about when he said "one or two more signings"? I'm actually thinking Baines would be a great signing, but have no idea who would be best for us in CM that would be a realistic target for us.

Well Daily Fail are still running the Lucas Moura story;
    Manchester United are closing in on Brazilian teenage forward Lucas Moura after unveiling their first two signings of the summer.
    While manager Sir Alex Ferguson paraded Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell at Old Trafford, chief scout Jim Lawlor was in Sao Paulo to tie up a £25million deal for the highly rated playmaker.
    Lawlor flew to Brazil on Wednesday evening and club secretary John Alexander is also believed to be on standby to complete the transfer as United look to secure Moura’s signature before he plays in a pre-Olympic friendly against Great Britain at Middlesbrough next week.

Believe at your peril! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Just wondering what peoples 'best guess' would be as to WHEN we will have these 'One or maybe two' player's signed up...

It's looking very unlikley before pre-season

Just wondering what peoples 'best guess' would be as to WHEN we will have these 'One or maybe two' player's signed up...

It's looking very unlikley before pre-season

It could be at any stage, Fergie has stated that he likes to get this stuff out of the way early but Berba dragged on until the last day I think? It depends how negotiations go. I'd imagine we'll hear very strong rumours for a few days consistently before a signing, then it'll happen.

Anyone know how much cash the club has right now?

Could be a factor in the negotiations

Edit: I don't mean turnover or profit or assets, simply cash. How much cash is in the vault right now, I can't find a definitive answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Cash isnt an issue, transfer fees usually are not paid up front.
    With such a huge company that United is having a close figure online for their cash reserves is going to be pretty difficult.

kryogen wrote: »

Edit: I don't mean turnover or profit or assets, simply cash. How much cash is in the vault right now, I can't find a definitive answer.

But they also have a credit line available don't they, so just cash balance alone is insignificant.

With season ticket renewals being in full swing, combined with selling of non-renewed season tickets I doubt David gill himself could give an accurate figure.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Cash isnt an issue, transfer fees usually are not paid up front.

I would disagree there, cash is an issue, it is highly important if there are more then one bid for a player for example, if one team is offering a cash up front deal and the other is offering 40% up front and the rest in installments, it is true that plenty of deals are done by spreading the fee these days. It is not always the way however.

Just an example, and I don't think United are in any way stuck this bad, but say, United and Everton have agreed a fee of 12 million for Baines, but for whatever reason United dont have 15 million lying around, (transfer fee, signing on + agent and other fees) and they want to spread the payment out. Everton say no, we want the money now or thats no good to us, they are a cash poor club also, they would need the cash to sign his replacement for example.

Now I am not suggesting the club is that cash poor. But there may not be a whole lot there with the money gone toward buying parts of the bond back, the transfers already done, (Kag took a lot of negotiations according to Fergie, this could suggest the transfer was complicated due to a lack of cash and need to negotiate a payment plan) and I'm sure plenty of other things that slip my mind at this time.

Just something I'm pondering is all.

Iirc this time of year is when clubs have the most cash, but as Rochey says, transfer fees aren't paid up front so it's not an issue.

Edit: What you've said in the post above this is a possibility. But not a very likely one I think. Amortised transfer fees are the norm afaik, so it would be unlucky to lose out on a deal because of somebody offering cash upfront.

VW 1 wrote: »
    But they also have a credit line available don't they, so just cash balance alone is insignificant.

With season ticket renewals being in full swing, combined with selling of non-renewed season tickets I doubt David gill himself could give an accurate figure.

Yeah your most likely right, I know they have a huge line of credit there, but would think they would not be keen to go heavily into that considering the debts already owed by the club and the IPO coming up. The more cash in the vault the better in that respect also actually.......

I would hope the line of credit is for emergency and not for operating.

For an example of when some teams demand cash up front for a player you have to look no further then United for Ronaldo :) 80.3million, cash money baby!

I would hope the line of credit is for emergency and not for operating.

Iirc it has never been used yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement