Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kryogen wrote: »
    For an example of when some teams demand cash up front for a player you have to look no further then United for Ronaldo :) 80.3million, cash money baby!

Biggest deal of all time though to be fair. I don't think it is that common. I may be completely wrong on this, but that is the impression I have got over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pro. F wrote: »
    Iirc it has never been used yet.

I have never heard of it being used so far anyway

Biggest deal of all time though to be fair. I don't think it is that common. I may be completely wrong on this, but that is the impression I have got over the last few years.

I am certain that the spread payment is the most common way of doing deals now, particularly bigger ones, but even recently, the Torres deal was all cash, the Carroll one also I am almost sure, most of Citys transfers if not all are cash purchases. I would think it is probably 75-25 or more in favour of spread payments these days though.

It was more in relation to transfers like Modric I am thinking, if Madrid are offering 25million in cash then it would be a more appealing offer then United offering the same or maybe slightly more but spread out over a few seasons.

I am sure it is not a big factor in United transfers, just something that came up earlier so is on my mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Is Moura a CM or winger? Don't know a thing about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

For an example of when some teams demand cash up front for a player you have to look no further then United for Ronaldo :) 80.3million, cash money baby!

That was the biggest transfer of our generation, I doubt we'll see another player going for that kind of money unless messi leaves or ronaldo again.

Neymar maybe if he moves to England and then on to Spain but that's not likely to happen. I think Fergie said it a while back that ronaldo is worth double that now and tbh he really is ! His record is outstanding for Madrid !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭KH25

Eathrin wrote: »

CAM I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

What is the actual story with bebe lads, is he back at the club? Sorry if posted before

What is the actual story with bebe lads, is he back at the club? Sorry if posted before

AFAIK he's been back with the club since his injury.

Eathrin wrote: »

Lucas Moura is brilliant! he is not in any way a central midfielder of course, plays best as an attacking midfielder, but is also at home on the wing, he really is a talented player, he would remind you of Cristiano Ronaldo with his skills, and his explosive speed, but he is nowhere near as physically imposing as him.

Also, there is not a hope in hell we are signing him :)

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    AFAIK he's been back with the club since his injury.

We could convert Bebe to central midfield actually, solves all the problems :)

The boy has the talent to play any position he wants!

We could convert Bebe to central midfield actually, solves all the problems :)

The boy has the talent to play any position he wants!

He can teach Valencia a thing or two anyway :D

lol I must have seen that video at least 8 times the last couple of weeks! Any excuse to get it out for people :)

He honestly has some good natural ability, don't think he will make it at the club or anything, but hope he has a good career for himself considering he seems to have been used as some pawn.

I've watched it about 8 times tonight. Its hilarious. I think he'll actually make a decent career for himself at a lower club. And if he does then fair play to the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"And we payed 7.4 MILION for him.

Chicarito was 6 MILION.

Fúck logic."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

First time seeing that clip...... Even though it is funny as hell, I do feel sorry for the poor chap, having read some of the stuff involving his transfer.

As stated, hopefully he will move on and make a career for himself at another club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Iirc this time of year is when clubs have the most cash, but as Rochey says, transfer fees aren't paid up front so it's not an issue.

Edit: What you've said in the post above this is a possibility. But not a very likely one I think. Amortised transfer fees are the norm afaik, so it would be unlucky to lose out on a deal because of somebody offering cash upfront.

The amortisation of the transfer fee over the duration of a player's contract is for accounting purposes only. How the fee is actually paid is completely separate to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Don't normally get in a bad mood for long about football but sick about Fletcher, love the guy, such a great player for United.

So many great moments in such an understated way, his first great game for United was in my opinion against Arsenal in Fa Cup Semi final in 2004. Just kept pinging lovely balls out to Ronaldo who was running at the Arsenal Defense keeping the pressure away from the goal as they were struggling to hold on to the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

So back from a week away and not trawling through pages upon pages on this, can anyone sum up United over the last week or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Macca07 wrote: »
    So back from a week away and not trawling through pages upon pages on this, can anyone sum up United over the last week or so?

We haven't done anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Felexicon

bullvine wrote: »
    Don't normally get in a bad mood for long about football but sick about Fletcher, love the guy, such a great player for United.

So many great moments in such an understated way, his first great game for United was in my opinion against Arsenal in Fa Cup Semi final in 2004. Just kept pinging lovely balls out to Ronaldo who was running at the Arsenal Defense keeping the pressure away from the goal as they were struggling to hold on to the lead.
    Give him my best wishes the next time you're speaking to him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United announce intention to sell shares on Stock Market in US. Not sure if thats this or last weeks news.

Kagawa and Powell officially unveiled yesterday. Kag to play in an advanced role. Powell to be nurtured as a central midfield player.

SAF says he is looking at one possibly two more players coming in. Did not say the positions he was looking at.

first team training started this week

fletcher not among the players training and won't be around for start of season.

Park sold to QPR. Pogba gone and Fryers is as good as gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yep he is...he was a bad boy on loan and got f*cked out....probably they looked for the first reason to get rid of him.

bebe is a decent player, would make it in the championship i am quite sure or even high level in europe, but the transfer fee paid makes him the s*ittest player ever to play for united perhaps all things considered.

hopefully he goes on loan, has a good spell and we get back a couple of million for him. he is a player capped at u-21 level 6 or 7 times, so he is not totally a waste, just a waste at united.

fair play to him though, its the ultimate rags to riches story and perhaps the most incredible transfer story of all time. when you think of it though, you look at all the players who went on free transfers or low cost fees (parker/VDV for instance) and then you see us spending about 9million euro on this lad, makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

What actually happened with Fryers? Was he offered a new contract and turned it down?

Macca07 wrote: »
    What actually happened with Fryers? Was he offered a new contract and turned it down?

probably a mixture of greed and lack of first team opportunities, though i dont know if he will get that at spurs.

going to them makes no sense at all.

yep he is...he was a bad boy on loan and got f*cked out....probably they looked for the first reason to get rid of him.

bebe is a decent player, would make it in the championship i am quite sure or even high level in europe, but the transfer fee paid makes him the s*ittest player ever to play for united perhaps all things considered.

hopefully he goes on loan, has a good spell and we get back a couple of million for him. he is a player capped at u-21 level 6 or 7 times, so he is not totally a waste, just a waste at united.

fair play to him though, its the ultimate rags to riches story and perhaps the most incredible transfer story of all time. when you think of it though, you look at all the players who went on free transfers or low cost fees (parker/VDV for instance) and then you see us spending about 9million euro on this lad, makes you wonder.
    Probably filling his bindle with robbed sandwiches from the canteen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Any word on Vidic lads?

fox007 wrote: »
    Any word on Vidic lads?
    Yeah he's a Serbian CB. Looks useful enough but I don't see him making it at the top level of the game

fox007 wrote: »
    Any word on Vidic lads?

I think he's recovered well according to reports and will take part in the pre season scandinavian friendlies in early August. Not travelling with the rest if the team to South Africa though. I'll be delighted to see him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

@RobHarris: Man United only earned £28M from UEFA last season after exiting Champs Lge at group stage, compared with £42M the previous season” 

Interesting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

It's funny really, when the rumours are flying around about signings for the midfield I get annoyed as some are so unrealistic I just get frustrated.

Now the rumours seem to have dried up, I find myself yearning for the rumours again. Some people are never satisfied huh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

RE: Bebe,the lad is a forward and not a winger,Fergie seems to think that his "rawness" means he can convert him,in his first season he played up front for the reserves and done well although I agree he will never make it at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Any chance the 1 or 2 signing Fergie was talking about was Clyne and another CM? would make sense to me a free agent who can cover both sides in full back and put the rest of the transfer kitty towards a good cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anyone see this ?

i love that kinda s*it, always great to see the team having time out for messing about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Anyone see this ?

Amateur. Should have used his right foot to roll it up his left leg then back heal it into the top corner.

@RobHarris: Man United only earned £28M from UEFA last season after exiting Champs Lge at group stage, compared with £42M the previous season” 

Interesting .

no surprise, we got to the final the year before. 14million less in uefa payment and probably another 12million down on gate revenue for the 3 games missed.

there is going to be a huge hole in our finances this year cos of it...thats 26million less disposal income :(

no surprise, we got to the final the year before. 14million less in uefa payment and probably another 12million down on gate revenue for the 3 games missed.

there is going to be a huge hole in our finances this year cos of it...thats 26million less disposal income :(
    So what kind of maths have you used to come up with the 12 million there.
    Is it gross or net. How much does it cost to run the bars and food stands for a game? What if we had played a team whose fans didn't really drink alcohol, could the figure have fallen to £11.98 million.
    Also £26 million isn't actually that big of a loss for a club like United to make adjustments for over a full financial year.
    There is also no pattern to suggest the Glazers would have viewed this as disposable income, a large portion would more than likely went on off field expenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This topic was brought up when United exited the CL,it seems the loss of revenue is not a complete disaster as the club count revenue garnered from games past the group stage as a bonus & have budgeted for the future minus that extra revenue.
    Still it would have been nice to have the extra cash (and the trophy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

TheTownie wrote: »
    Amateur. Should have used his right foot to roll it up his left leg then back heal it into the top corner.

One touch only for a penalty.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anyone see this ?
    For f**k sake!! Not even 1 goal between them,we're f**ked this season....might aswell give up on the team.
    We will struggle to get top 4 with that kind of shìt in front of goal.
    Sign Messi already ffs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Wonder does the £28M include whatever few quid United earned in the Europa League? I presume it does.

If the club does not want repeats of bowing out early in the big European competitions then investment in midfield is needed, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

killwill wrote: »
    One touch only for a penalty.....

No referee, I'd bend the rules a little bit. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

ala Ronaldinho from about 7 years ago.

I remember seeing it on Soccer AM and I've tried it ever since. Can only manage the flick but not the back heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Waiting for Rio to say something on Twitter:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

Hope its ok to post this here in case anyone was interested

Longford Town FC v Manchester United XI (Reserves)
    Monday July 23rd • Flancare Park • Kick-off: 7.30 pm
    Tickets are €15 Adult & €5 Kids

I wonder who they will / can bring over to it. Last time they played was in 1995 a youth team came over to play against a Town youth team. Longford won the game on penalties. A young Wes Brown was in the team that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

ala Ronaldinho from about 7 years ago.

I remember seeing it on Soccer AM and I've tried it ever since. Can only manage the flick but not the back heel.

What a shame we never got him that time, he will be in my min the 'one that got away' would have been really interesting to see how he would have coped with the old Trafford stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was it Kenyon who ballsed that deal up? Gobshíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What a shame we never got him that time, he will be in my min the 'one that got away' would have been really interesting to see how he would have coped with the old Trafford stage...

I posted about it a few months ago. I've no doubt that he'd have fitted in perfectly.

He was only 23 when he left PSG. For a period of 2 seasons from 2004-06 he was untouchable. He was easily the best player in the world. He did things that no player did before him or has managed to do since, not even Messi. The most naturally talented player that I've ever seen.

He was as strong as an ox and one of the fastest players in the game, even though he had a very unconventional style of running. His passing skills are often over-looked. Behind all the flicks and tricks he was still one of the best in the world at passing as well. He was the "99 everything" player that you create on the FIFA games.

He hit his peak with Barca when he was 27 and everything went downhill after that. If Fergie had a hold of him, and if Ronaldinho had the drive and desire to be great, then I've no doubt that he'd be mentioned in the same breath as the Cruyffs and the Maradonas. He was that good.

Anyway we may never have signed Ronaldo if the other deal had gone through. It would have been incredible to see Ronaldinho at United though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Can't wait to see him starting week in week out for us.

616665888.jpg?key=452594

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement