Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

keane2097 wrote: »
    lol @ Bale being at his best hugging the touchline

He was at his best hugging the touch line and was average when he started playing centrally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He was at his best hugging the touch line and was average when he started playing centrally.

Yep - Bale driving inside and taking people on was a weak point of his and Tottenham's game alright...

Just seen the FA have done us their usual 'favour', away from home after 5 of the 6 CL group games.

Away to Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Villa & City. Absolute horsesh1te yet again.

Of course it means City are away only once in this time.

Absolute horsesh1t.

So we play away after champions league games means City will play at home? One team can play on Saturday and other team on Sunday isn't it.

I haven't checked fixtures list yet, just asking.

Yep - Bale driving inside and taking people on was a weak point of his and Tottenham's game alright...

I dont know whether that was serious or sarcastic post (forgive me for not spotting) but yes, when Bale started moving inside or playing right or centrally he was not as good as he was playing as LW. He was great taking on FB using his pace and whip in good crosses but not so when he played in other positions.

If your post was not sarcastic then plz ignore this. :pac:

So we play away after champions league games means City will play at home? One team can play on Saturday and other team on Sunday isn't it.

I haven't checked fixtures list yet, just asking.

For policing reasons United and City can't play at home in the same set of fixtures. It can happen with Cup competitions, but PL games won't be scheduled to clash in such a way. Same with Chelsea/Fulham, Arsenal/Spurs, Liverpool/Everton

• Advertisement

I dont know whether that was serious or sarcastic post (forgive me for not spotting) but yes, when Bale started moving inside or playing right or centrally he was not as good as he was playing as LW. He was great taking on FB using his pace and whip in good crosses but not so when he played in other positions.

If your post was not sarcastic then plz ignore this. :pac:

It was sarcastic - he is not as intricate as Nani, and played either from the right or centrally isn't a strong point but he is far more than a hug the line winger, driving in at pace from the wing was the source of a lot of goals for himself and Spurs. He is more a traditional winger like Valencia, sure, but he does offer a big inside threat as well.

It was sarcastic - he is not as intricate as Nani, and played either from the right or centrally isn't a strong point but he is far more than a hug the line winger, driving in at pace from the wing was the source of a lot of goals for himself and Spurs. He is more a traditional winger like Valencia, sure, but he does offer a big inside threat as well.

That was my point. Maybe I used wrong word to describe him, but I think in later posts I corrected it saying he is not as good when moved centrally as when he plays out wide.

That was my point. Maybe I used wrong word to describe him, but I think in later posts I corrected it saying he is not as good when moved centrally as when he plays out wide.

Fair enough - it is the hug the line bit I took issue with. I agree he isn't as versatile as Young or Nani, but if it came down to a straight choice for a genuine left winger between Nani or Bale (or Bale/Young) I would pick Bale.

That said, I hope we are going to push to a more fluid front 4 this season (it is this season now we have the fixtures!) and the potential movement of Nani, Kagawa, Rooney and Welbeck is mouth watering. Add Cleverley to that, with his interplay with Rooney and especially Welbeck, and I reckon we could be seeing a lot more goals like the one in the Community Shield vs City.

I'm not saying I want Nani sold, but if he was and Bale was brought in I wouldn't be set to go riot. At the same time, I don't think we would get Bale if we sold Nani. Gaitan, James Rodriguez or no one at all would be far more likely.

I'm not saying I want Nani sold, but if he was and Bale was brought in I wouldn't be set to go riot. At the same time, I don't think we would get Bale if we sold Nani. Gaitan, James Rodriguez or no one at all would be far more likely.

Agreed with your other points apart from that I would take Nani over Bale even for LW.

Problem is I dont think we can get Bale for lesser price than what we get for Nani.

I know one Columbian who raves about James Rodriguez, he just won't stop about him. If he is anything as good that person says then he will be the next biggest transfer out of Porto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would not trade Nani for Bale for plenty of reasons, one of the major ones is though, that Nani can change a game in an instant with a bit of trickery and skill, from almost anywhere on the pitch to either score a cracker or create an opportunity himself.

Bale does not give this option, in the same way that Valencia does not.

Rodrigeuz is very good, meant to be a head case though :)

If Valencia ever does get injured again God forbid, and we had gotten rid of Nani, whats your option then for right midfield? It makes the squad weaker imo to take Bale over Nani, Nani is technically a better player, and though he is being played out of position alot he his versatility means he is still effective from there and more then capable of rotating with our other most productive right winger.

Plus,he is not entering peak just yet, he should be getting more and more comfortable playing from the left considering how much he is playing there, I see improvement each season in the position anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just catching up on this thread. Is barneygumble99 mufcboy1999 in disguise?

I thought Nani was very good against Holland last night. He missed a sitter, but apart from that his general play was quite good. He always looked a threat when on the ball. Especially in the second half, he and Ronaldo were central to everything.

I love seeing Nani do well. I watched a bit of Sporting Libson (no idea why, just took a shine to them), and I was delighted when we signed him.

He took so much stick here, on Red Cafe and from crowd as O.T it was ridiculous. It was the same with Ronaldo. People wanted him sold after his first season because he was "inconsistent". Players who are capable of magic like that are worth persisting with.

I'm delighted he's doing so well. Ever since Hull in Jan 2009 he has been one of our most important players (up there with Rooney & Vidic imho). He was our player of the year in 2010/2011 when we won 19. He was on fire for the first half of last season before he got injured.

Inconsistent? This old nugget just keeps popping up. If you have a look at his stats, it makes an absolute mockery of that argument.

Selling him, or any of our best 11 would be madness. Nani is coming into his prime. He can lose the ball a truck load of times on an off day and frustrate the hell out of me, but then he can pop up with one moment and win a game, be it with a goal or an assist (which you can't say about many players). Not many players have pace, trickery, can beat a man on the left or right, very good shooting ability, very good crossing and generally have that capability of producing a piece of magic.

Anyways, keep bashing Nani and he'll keep giving you the two fingers, as he has been doing for the last 3 and a half years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

From what I've seen of the tournament so far, Nani has outperformed Ronaldo imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Everton away first. Not bad, they usually start awful so hopefully a easy enough win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

From what I've seen of the tournament so far, Nani has outperformed Ronaldo imo.

Would have agreed, but what ronaldo did last night was probably one of the best performances I've seen on an international level.

He was just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Just seen the FA have done us their usual 'favour', away from home after 5 of the 6 CL group games.

Away to Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Villa & City. Absolute horsesh1te yet again.

Of course it means City are away only once in this time.

Absolute horsesh1t.

Yet again? We were at home after all 6 CL games last year, with City away after all of their 6. Didn't work out too badly for them. No conspiracies here, just luck of the draw.

Yet again? We were at home after all 6 CL games last year, with City away after all of their 6. Didn't work out too badly for them. No conspiracies here, just luck of the draw.

I'm sure noone is saying it was conspiracy, rather a sarcastic post to mock people saying "Fergie prepares the fixtures list"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bad start to the new thread lads, very, very bad start : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Would have agreed, but what ronaldo did last night was probably one of the best performances I've seen on an international level.

He was just amazing.

He was excellent. But how much more effective is he when he gets his head up and picks out a teammate. If Portugal had anything approaching a decent centre-forward, they would be a force.

I'm with Rooney on this.

I think Young and Nani have gotten far too much unfair critiscm especially Young this season.

The stats for Nani over the past two season say all that's needed to be said.
    There isn't a wealth of top class wingers around today, and I think the main three we have are pretty good and provide enough variation.

I get absolutely mind ****ed when people here, redcafe and football 365 have a go at Young over this season, where he was decent for dealing with injury and contributed well, and more so Nani, even though the past two years hes been one of, if not THE best winger in the PL.

And these are the same people who say Cleverly is going to be our CM maestro with less then a handful of PL starts.

Mind...blown

They arn't possession wingers, they are explosive wingers. Of course you get inconsistency, its very much based on confidence. If they get up on their marker early its a done deal, a fight and they will fight, a struggle and they kinda dwindle. But I'll leave with the inconsistency for what regularly proves to be the explosive destructive wing play Nani brings.

Name me a better left/ring winger to replace Nani, that we could realisticly sign?

We need more rumours to row about?!?!
    The gossip this morning suggested that Luka Modric is 'on the verge' of moving to Real Madrid, but Sky Bet still have him at 1/2 to join Manchester United.

Always worth considering Skybet odds, based on where they get their information from, probably the most tapped in network in the world of football.
    And Sky don't often make claims that could leave eggs on their faces ( refer to Hazard fake website with ESPN)

I'm still holding out hope on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

TheDoc wrote: »
    Name me a better left/ring winger to replace Nani, that we could realisticly sign?

*insert Stewart Downing joke*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

We need more rumours to row about?!?!

Always worth considering Skybet odds, based on where they get their information from, probably the most tapped in network in the world of football.
    And Sky don't often make claims that could leave eggs on their faces ( refer to Hazard fake website with ESPN)

I'm still holding out hope on this one

All these odds mean nothiing, sure didnt sky bet have us favourites to sign Hazard and Sneijder?

xtal191 wrote: »
    All these odds mean nothiing, sure didnt sky bet have us favourites to sign Hazard and Sneijder?

Yes, and they were correct at the time.

We had agreed a fee and personal terms with Hazard, at the time, before City and Chelsea.

We had agreed a fee with Inter for Sneij and were discussing personals, so at the time, was spot on. No one could have forseen the outragous money he asked for.

So while its kinda just looking everywhere for an indication, I think its usually a decent enough one. If the stories about Modric and United agreeing personals was bollox, these odds would have have gone out more.

Some of the papers are reporting hes moving to Madrid, with some old team mate saying he wants to play in Spain. Bookies havn't budged, with United favourites and Chelsea second,.

*insert Stewart Downing joke*

Ryan Babel has been released from a Dutch Erdvise club for being muck, scoring 4 goals this season and 1 assist.

Still better then Downing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Ryan Babel has been released from a Dutch Erdvise club for being muck, scoring 4 goals this season and 1 assist.

Still better then Downing...

*Puts on pedant hat

Doesn't Babel play for Hoffenheim now?

Nevertheless, still better than Downing.

Schism wrote: »
    *Puts on pedant hat

Doesn't Babel play for Hoffenheim now?

Nevertheless, still better than Downing.

Your 100% correct, thought he was back in Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Just catching up on this thread. Is barneygumble99 mufcboy1999 in disguise?

I thought Nani was very good against Holland last night. He missed a sitter, but apart from that his general play was quite good. He always looked a threat when on the ball. Especially in the second half, he and Ronaldo were central to everything.

I love seeing Nani do well. I watched a bit of Sporting Libson (no idea why, just took a shine to them), and I was delighted when we signed him.

He took so much stick here, on Red Cafe and from crowd as O.T it was ridiculous. It was the same with Ronaldo. People wanted him sold after his first season because he was "inconsistent". Players who are capable of magic like that are worth persisting with.

I'm delighted he's doing so well. Ever since Hull in Jan 2009 he has been one of our most important players (up there with Rooney & Vidic imho). He was our player of the year in 2010/2011 when we won 19. He was on fire for the first half of last season before he got injured.

Inconsistent? This old nugget just keeps popping up. If you have a look at his stats, it makes an absolute mockery of that argument.

Selling him, or any of our best 11 would be madness. Nani is coming into his prime. He can lose the ball a truck load of times on an off day and frustrate the hell out of me, but then he can pop up with one moment and win a game, be it with a goal or an assist (which you can't say about many players). Not many players have pace, trickery, can beat a man on the left or right, very good shooting ability, very good crossing and generally have that capability of producing a piece of magic.

Anyways, keep bashing Nani and he'll keep giving you the two fingers, as he has been doing for the last 3 and a half years.

On the sitter point, just because he was five yards out does not make that a sitter. That was just lazy TV punditry. Watch that chance again.

Ronaldo pulls the ball back. It is actually quite a slow paced pull back. Amazing vision and awareness from Ronaldo considering where Nani starts his run from. Ronaldo placed the ball into space.

When it left his foot Steklenburg reads the intention and almost immedately heads for the far post. The ball and the keeper arrive at Nani's feet at the same time. Bar Nani trying to smash it in off the underside of the bar he had nothing to work with. Nothing.

He tried to slide it under Steklenburg but the keeper made himself very big. It was great vision on the pass, a great save, a good chance but not a sitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

My first reaction, and that of a few mates watching it, last night to Nani's chance (saved by Stekelenburg) was "Should have lifted it."

Should have scored, imo, but gotta give credit to the keeper for getting across his goal as quickly as he did.....

alproctor wrote: »
    My first reaction, and that of a few mates watching it, last night to Nani's chance (saved by Stekelenburg) was "Should have lifted it."

Should have scored, imo, but gotta give credit to the keeper for getting across his goal as quickly as he did.....

Another difficulty was Nani made the run from the penalty spot area across. Had he been steaming in from the right he might have had a chance to smash it.

It was a great piece of play that deserved a goal but likewise the Keeper was class. The Houghton school of commentary does not allow for such eventualities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I couldn't believe Nani didn't try and dink the keeper with that chance, considering he tries to dink the keeper about 80% of the time anyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

A player of his ability 5 yards out, reasonable to suggest that he really should have scored. The keeper did make a great save to be fair, but a bit of loft would have beaten him, unless the keeper had some sort bionic arm that can cover every part of the goal except under the cross bar. Easy to say in hindsight.

Anyways, you managed to pick out the least important point of my post.
    The Houghton school of commentary does not allow for such eventualities.

I absolutely despise Ray Houghton. He is an idiot of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

These are basically novelty markets. Their odds compilers create the odds and allow betting at small limits. Any heavy money will change the odds. A ton of money and they will suspend. Skybet are no different to the rest of the bookmakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I didn't hate Ray until Harvey Norman released that radio ad with him doing the voice over.

The way he says bonus sends me into a rage.

"you'll receive a bawounes"

Fcuk off Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pj! wrote: »
    These are basically novelty markets. Their odds compilers create the odds and allow betting at small limits. Any heavy money will change the odds. A ton of money and they will suspend. Skybet are no different to the rest of the bookmakers.

This.

I'm pretty sure I could make Real Madrid favourite to sign Modric with any given bookmaker without emptying the bankroll.

A player of his ability 5 yards out, reasonable to suggest that he really should have scored. The keeper did make a great save to be fair, but a bit of loft would have beaten him, unless the keeper had some sort bionic arm that can cover every part of the goal except under the cross bar. Easy to say in hindsight.

Anyways, you managed to pick out the least important point of my post.

It wasn't important or unimportant it was a point you made and I wanted to say something on that. The rest of the post I have no problem with. I think Nani is a very good winger and selling him for the sake of selling him would be a stupid decision.

I thought last night he played well. If I would be critical of anything I felt his performance was overly disciplined; maybe cautious is a better word. He helped his full back dilligently, he set up several good Portugese attacks from inside his own half but I felt he never took risks on running at Williems. I believed if he went at him more he'd have gotten a lot of change out of him. Even after the yellow card he never once went at him. That would be it. Criticising a guy for a disciplined display, hardly criticism either, is it?

I thought he also brought Ronaldo into the game in a big way. Created some class chances for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seems Modric is off to Madrid,one of his apparent closest mates has said he is very close to agreeing terms with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

dahat wrote: »
    Seems Modric is off to Madrid,one of his apparent closest mates has said he is very close to agreeing terms with them.

Where will he play ?

Cant see Jose not playing Alonso or Khedira tbh .

We should try sign Sahin now . Offer 10 or 15 million .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Does anyone think Fergie will give Robbie Brady his chance next season? Been pretty impressive on his loan to Hull and for the Irish U 21's. He is one of our brighter prospects.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Fergie will give Robbie Brady his chance next season? Been pretty impressive on his loan to Hull and for the Irish U 21's. He is one of our brighter prospects.

i disagree; Will Keane and Petrucci would be better prospects than him, as would lingard and cole - who are much more technically gifted than Robbie.

I don't think Brady is an outstanding prospect; he will have a good career for himself and I think he could be an irish international in the future, but I don't see him making it at United

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I suppose we will have to wait and see. I wouldn't judge him until he actually comes on for United. He will be given his chance to impress. He is highly rated at the club.

re Will Keane. Seems a right talent. Gonna be odd seeing a Keane playing for England:o (maybe two Keanes - his bro too if he is as good!)

• Advertisement

Hopefully Will Keane makes a full recovery, would be a real shame for him to have his career hampered/cut short at this stage when he looked like he has pushed himself into Fergies plans for next season, however small a role he would have played initially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

:mad:

As a commentator/pundit, he does my head in also, that does not take away from what he did as an Irish player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Where will he play ?

Cant see Jose not playing Alonso or Khedira tbh .

We should try sign Sahin now . Offer 10 or 15 million .

The rumours are Jose wants to play him along side Alonso.

Its about the only place he could slot into that team. Obviously they are losing a bit defensively by doing that but you could make a case that if you have the ball then you don't need to defend.

A lot of baseless stuff has come out about him wanting to play in Spain, etc.

I don't think we will be the only ones who would want him so I doubt very much we will get him. I don't think he has any special desire to play for us which is a necessity these days if you're going to win a transfer battle against City, Real, etc.

I could see Modric playing behind the striker for Madrid, mainly because its what happened in my Fifa12 career game

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

darkman2 wrote: »
    I suppose we will have to wait and see. I wouldn't judge him until he actually comes on for United. He will be given his chance to impress. He is highly rated at the club.

re Will Keane. Seems a right talent. Gonna be odd seeing a Keane playing for England:o (maybe two Keanes - his bro too if he is as good!)

Brady i don't think will make it at United. He'll be a good pro and probably play for Ireland at senior level but I don't think he's got enough to make it at the very top. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Both Keanes have played for united and england at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Is it like an unwritten rule for every single Liverpool fan to be delusional or what?

Is it like an unwritten rule for every single Liverpool fan to be delusional or what?

Not all of them are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

kryogen wrote: »
    Not all of them are

Maybe its just the ones I know so..

Maybe its just the ones I know so..

Know plenty of them in Waterford myself, but tbf all clubs have some delusional fans

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement