Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Why is he not going to Utd? Aren't they after him? Moura that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He plays the same position as Kagawa, He would cost 30+million, he's only 19, he would cost 30+million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Keno 92 wrote: »
    He plays the same position as Kagawa, He would cost 30+million, he's only 19, he would cost 30+million.

Kawaga seems a good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Was there ever a time when United being "after" someone meant they came to United?

He is not going because his club rejected our offer.
    Hope we get Modric then.

Modric won't be coming either, he will go to Madrid our Spurs will want a lot more money to sell to us.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Keno 92 wrote: »

Well, he plays RAM/RW for his club, Sao Paulo. But for the national team the times he has played, he's played as a CAM/No.10 which is seen to be his long term position which is Kagawa's position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

23 man squad for South Africa tour confirmed

Travelling squad: Lindegaard, Amos, Johnstone, Ferdinand, Veseli, Vermijl, Wootton, Blackett; Valencia, Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Powell, Kagawa, Bebe, Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Brady, Petrucci; Berbatov, Chicharito, Macheda.

Good to see plenty of the young lads going over.

Can't wait to see Kagawa and also looking forward to seeing Powell's current standard in comparison to the other United players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

23 Man squad for the pre-season tour, Rio confirmed as captain
    Lindegaard, Amos, Johnstone, Ferdinand, Veseli, Vermijl, Wootton, Blackett; Valencia, Anderson,  Carrick, Scholes, Powell, Kagawa, Bebe, Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Brady, Petrucci; Berbatov, Chicharito, Macheda. All travelling tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Brady on the squad. Good to see Irish lad on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

There's only 22 Players there hopefully Smalling or Evans are the missing player .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hon Bebe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kryogen wrote: »

But Berba has been living in England for how many years now? He has been writing and reading in English for a long time. Would be very surprised if he would be making basic spelling mistakes to be honest.

Edit: According to his bio he learned to speak English at a young age
    Ah now come on. Even for you this is complete guess work.
    By this logic you or I would never make a spelling mistake in a post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ah now come on. Even for you this is complete guess work.
    By this logic you or I would never make a spelling mistake in a post here.

Well duh

I have already said as much, the whole, be very surprised, couldnt rule it out at this stage though bit.

Oh, and I've missed you stalker :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Blatter wrote: »
    23 man squad for South Africa tour confirmed

Good to see plenty of the young lads going over.

Can't wait to see Kagawa and also looking forward to seeing Powell's current standard in comparison to the other United players.
    Very interesting, will be interesting to see who plays when and where...

Should get to see plenty of the youngsters in defence anyway :) Rio the only senior guy there, happy with that, Blackett gets to have a few games at left back to impress hopefully. Be nice to see Lingard/Tunni/Petrucci get plenty of game time too, and obviously Bebe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Why aren't Smalling and Evans in the squad? Are they picked for the Olympics?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Why aren't Smalling and Evans in the squad? Are they picked for the Olympics?

Evans certainly not, having an operation this summer Fergie said, Smalling may be getting the extra time off after the Euros?

Smalling didn't go the Euros .

Evans certainly not, having an operation this summer Fergie said, Smalling may be getting the extra time off after the Euros?

Forgot Smalling was at the Euros!

I'd say United won't let him play as he went to the Euros actually, seem to remember it being a case of one or the other for the players from Uniteds POV

• Advertisement

I'm confused. Was Smalling picked for the Euros? Jones was anyway so that's why he's not there.

Smalling didn't go the Euros .

Jaysus your right!

Forgot all about that, maybe Smalling is the guy missing from the list? Didn't someone say there was only 22 and it will be a 23 man squad?

I'd say United won't let him play as he went to the Euros actually, seem to remember it being a case of one or the other for the players from Uniteds POV

No he didn't he wasn't in England squad because he was injured .

See post above yours :)

Lindagaard went to the Euros and he is in the squad which a bit Odd .

True, he didn't play though and missed several months at the end of last season so maybe wanted to go?

Hopefully Smalling isn't injured again, he was really unlucky last season. Lost count of how many stupid injuries/illnesses the lad got.

• Advertisement

Lindagaard went to the Euros and he is in the squad which a bit Odd .

He didn't play at all did he? They are struggling for numbers I guess with De Gea going to the Olympics. Obvioulsy as Blatter says I am sure he wants to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Maybe the last spot for the tour is left for a new signing to be confirmed soon?

/clutches at straws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Sad to see it coming to this for Berbatov. Deserves to be playing week in/week out.

Hope he gets a decent club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What do United fans think the issue with Berbatov is???

I get that he mightn't be Fergie's style of player - fairly slow, doesn't defend much, languid - granted, and Fergie's allowed to pick and choose whatever player he wants.

But why get him in the first place?? I mean, at United Berbatov's been the player he was everywhere else and maintained a great scoring record.

So either why do you want rid of him, or why did you get him?????

Anyone with a decent tactical insight able to tell me exactly why he's not being played???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

gosplan wrote: »
    What do United fans think the issue with Berbatov is???

I get that he mightn't be Fergie's style of player - fairly slow, doesn't defend much, languid - granted, and Fergie's allowed to pick and choose whatever player he wants.

But why get him in the first place?? I mean, at United Berbatov's been the player he was everywhere else and maintained a great scoring record.

So either why do you want rid of him, or why did you get him?????

Anyone with a decent tactical insight able to tell me exactly why he's not being played???

Berbatov can go missing in big games but I can't understand why Fergie has no use what so ever for him. He will grab you as many goals as Chico and more than Welbeck in a season, sure they night not be in the big games but why can't he be played against the smaller clubs in the PL and CL giving the others a rest? I guess Fergie wants the younger players to get a lot of game time.

Berbatov should have played much more than he did last season.

Well he was bought nearly 4 years ago and things change. He started most games in his first two and a half years at the club.

And also I don't think Berbatov turned out to be the player Ferguson expected. Against the small teams at OT, you could argue he did his job well for the most part but he almost certainly wasn't expecting him to have such a minimal impact in the vast majority of the bigger games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Not a lot of defenders gone on the tour. Hopefully Rio won't be playing the whole time.
    Can see Valencia maybe deployed at right full for one or two of the games.

I am honestly delighted to see Bebe in the squad. It's not his fault he was part of one of the strangest transfers in football :)
    Would like to see him played up front, hopefully his injury hasn't taken too much of his pace away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Has there been any word on the FA looking into Rio's tweet about Ashley Cole the other day? Would be surprised if they don't take some action against him.

Predalien wrote: »
    Has there been any word on the FA looking into Rio's tweet about Ashley Cole the other day? Would be surprised if they don't take some action against him.
    I think they should take action, it was out of order for Rio to tweet stuff like that. If that had been directed towards him or Anton he would have been calling for punishment to the offending party. I've lost alot of respect for Rio throughout this whole thing

Did Ashley Cole not release a statement saying he won't be taking it any further?

Would be surprised if the FA or even the club didn't step in and tell him to cop on.
    It said: ‘Ashley Cole has been made aware of the discussion following comments appearing on Twitter and wishes to make it clear that he and Rio Ferdinand are good friends and Ashley has no intention of making any sort of complaint.

‘Ashley appreciates that Tweeting is so quick it often results in off-hand and stray comments.’

From here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I think they should take action, it was out of order for Rio to tweet stuff like that. If that had been directed towards him or Anton he would have been calling for punishment to the offending party. I've lost alot of respect for Rio throughout this whole thing

I agree, was very disappointing for him to come out with something like that. He doesn't seem to see any irony in what he said either.

nicklauski wrote: »
    Did Ashley Cole not release a statement saying he won't be taking it any further?

Would be surprised if the FA or even the club didn't step in and tell him to cop on.

From here
    Can't beleive I'm about to put my name to this......but..............Ashley Cole is showing alot of class there.

Now off to take a shower and get rid of this dirty feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this whole racism thing really is getting out of hand, the rio story is a f*cking farce if it goes any further, as its total nonsense.

am worried about smalling not going on the tour, maybe his injury is worse than is reported?

also, when will the euro players and the likes of Evans and Vidic join them? i assume we have rafael, de gea, cleverly and giggs at the olympics, anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I've lost alot of respect for Rio throughout this whole thing

I was never Rio's biggest fan but at the same time, he's in a situation where Terry more or less made racist comments about his brother (don't want to get into an argument about the guilty/innocent verdict), and nothing was done about it bar Rio losing his England place. I know there's an argument that Hodgson was looking towards the future with his squad selection but I've no doubt that Rio would have been involved somewhere if it wasn't for the case.

He's entitled to be a bit bitter IMO.

All that said, footballers should just cop on and stay awy from twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Who cares about all these when the biggest news is BEBE IS BACK!!!!.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Who cares about all these when the biggest news is BEBE IS BACK!!!!.
    I read this as BEBE IS BLACK. LOL

also, when will the euro players and the likes of Evans and Vidic join them? i assume we have rafael, de gea, cleverly and giggs at the olympics, anybody else?
    Players that played in euros join up on July 26. Evans got surgery during the summer so not sure about him and i think i read last week that Vidic will join up in early August could be wrong on that though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads, i have a theory about our CM issues and you can agree or disagree with me or not,..

i believe that fergie genuinely sees our CM as not a problem at all and he has no desire to fill that area. taking a look at 2007/2008 for instance, we went into that season after signing hargreaves and ando, leaving us with the 2 of them, plus scholes, carrick and fletcher. thats only 5 players, which is essentially what we have here this season.

that year scholes play 24 league games, carrick 31 so they were our midfield for most of the season. hargreaves and ando played about 20 league games, with fletcher playing 16. (all of these include subs appearances by the way)

i believe that despite scholes and carrick being 4 years older, fergie sees this as being offset by cleverly now being on board and ando being 4 years more developed. i also think that he feels that our injury crisis of last season willl not happen again and ando, cleverly, carrick and scholes will see us through the season fine.

with Fletcher out injured, there is our only gap according to him and we will only sign a CM, if it looks like he wont come back. or in short summary, once we have 5 players available for CM, we wont sign another one, especially then as he has Powell to fill a position long term future (scholes position???) and the likes of Giggs, Kagawa and Jones to fill in for games where we play 3 in the middle.

hence why he is going after players who are more attaching or flair players, than midfield players. Fletchers future and ability perhaps to sell Berba and Ando (wage bill) decides whether we sign a new CM or not.

basically while we have 5 CM's on the books, we are not bringing anybody in perhaps.

Rio doesn't do himself any favours at all.

I listened to the redvoices podcast the other day and he came across well on that.

He went up in my estimation from that. Then I seen his tweets and I cringed. Back to square one.

He should have stayed out of the whole Anton JT saga (i know it's a bit hard when it's your brother), his Films of the day tweets and his It's Sarcasm tweets, while they were tongue in cheek, done nothing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Agree with most of the above, and to a certain extent I see where he is comming from if that is the case.

If (BIG if) we can keep Ando and Clev fit for most of the season, I don't think we need to sign another CM, with Carrick and Scholes already there and Powell coming through (hope he can make fairly quick progress).

I'll probably get flamed again for saying it but if Baines is out last business this summer, I'll be happy enough and confident enough going into the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

re: Lucas Moura

Reports in Italy that Honorary Life President Martin Edwards has claimed that United are interested in Lucas Moura and that they are hopeful a deal can be done soon.

Not exact quotes, but if you google it you can see various sites reporting it. Bit strange that Italian news is reporting it and that Martin Edwards is commenting on transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This seems to be what he actually said.

"Players move from one team to another with ease, nothing surprises me any more. Lucas at United? Difficult for me to comment certain rumours, considering my position in the club, but, as a fan, I can say that we are interested, and that I hope that the negotiation will be carried out soon. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Very strange comments from Edwards. This has been happening a lot recently, especially with Rene Meulensteen around the time of the proposed transfers of David De Gea and Wesley Sneijder. Can't say I like it, reminds me of Harry Redknapp!

With regards the center midfield issues, I think the above poster (homerjay) could have hit the nail on the head. Currently we have the below players who could all either vouch for a first team spot in the middle or "do a job" there. Not ideal, but I think its unrealistic with our current squad and rumoured financial difficulties that Fergie would add to there.

Tom Cleverley
    Paul Scholes
    Ryan Giggs
    Phil Jones
    Michael Carrick
    Anderson
    Nick Powell
    Shinji Kagawa

A left back will most likely arrive (due to the fact that Fabio is gone on loan and Patrice Evra has declined substantially) and unless that "special" player can be got for a decent fee, the center midfield will stay as is.

I'm happy enough with the squad. Next year it will need work (if Scholes and Giggs don't stay on for ANOTHER year that is!) and obviously it would be ideal to blood someone in this year, but I can't see what manager would make major changes. Yes, we were off in Europe, but in the league I thought we matched an excellent City team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hes gonna be a star.

618472671.png?key=250500&Expires=1342447476&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=ijl8vm5dhitPdSNC8jpwB%7E4Zrtsn1UGKrB7cYnfIvUOCUjCafVv3Ul0xDW4bL-39TodYScMaoe9SwuaAFfoBvEKSCvVsrWSOjQLq8yZEP24UzD5fzV7IrV-maN4mwtLH42G61xqWclLTEftl4M0i9l8TBXiSfRB92iMI9LzF2X8_

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement