Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Tom Cleverley
    Paul Scholes
    Ryan Giggs
    Phil Jones
    Michael Carrick
    Anderson
    Nick Powell
    Shinji Kagawa
    CM's are:

Cleverly
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Carrick
    Powell

Thats just 5. One will be 38 this season and one is just 18, neither are near their best. Two of the others have poor records with injuries.

Scholes and Giggs (can do a job in CM) will surely be gone next year. It's definitely a good time to acquire a top CM now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Pj! wrote: »
    CM's are:

Cleverly
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Carrick
    Powell

Thats just 5. One will be 38 this season and one is just 18, neither are near their best. Two of the others have poor records with injuries.

Scholes and Giggs (can do a job in CM) will surely be gone next year. It's definitely a good time to acquire a top CM now.
    Giggs plays in CM most of the time now, but Powell has played mostly as an attacking midfielder from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Owen_S wrote: »
    Giggs plays in CM most of the time now, but Powell has played mostly as an attacking midfielder from what I've heard.
    Yeah Giggs is a make do midfielder. Bad at times!
    Fergie has already said that Powell will be a CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Each and every time I see Giggs name in the starting line up this season I will die a little inside.

I say that as a huge fan of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Pj! wrote: »
    CM's are:

Cleverly
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Carrick
    Powell

I agree, but if there was a few injuries etc I guarantee you would see most of those players drop into CM for a period.

Once I seen John O'Shea there, I believe anyone could be played in that position by Fergie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Each and every time I see Giggs name in the starting line up this season I will die a little inside.

I say that as a huge fan of the man.

that sums up my attitude towards fergie also....absolutely adore the man, but every day, a little part of my affection towards him dies when i see him doing nonsensical things, which sadly seem to be more common this last 18 months.

at least Park is gone now to save him in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The question is do we need 2 top CM ?

IMO we do.

The best we can hope for is 1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

that sums up my attitude towards fergie also....absolutely adore the man, but every day, a little part of my affection towards him dies when i see him doing nonsensical things, which sadly seem to be more common this last 18 months.

The City game at the Ethiad really hurt. To see that he had set them up to defend (regardless of the result in the first fixture) made my soul weep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The City game at the Ethiad really hurt. To see that he had set them up to defend (regardless of the result in the first fixture) made my soul weep.

Not having a shot on goal against our rivals was a sad statistic. It's was then that I realised other clubs were catching up fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Maybe Fergie is waiting to see how some of the young lads will do on the tour. Is Petrucci a central player? I'm really looking forward to seeing Tunnicliffe on the tour. Hope he gets a decent amount of game time.

• Advertisement

Not having a shot on goal against our rivals was a sad statistic. It's was then that I realised other clubs were catching up fast.

to be honest, it was probably De Geas least busy game of the season also...City were the better team of course, but it was a s*it game played in the middle 3rd of the pitch. they had f*ck all chances as we did. we also if i do remember correctly, have a few shots on target, block shots etc etc.

we defended well, but one lapse cost us a goal from a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I love this away kit.

manchester-united-12-13-away-football-shirt-leaked-b

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Maybe Fergie is waiting to see how some of the young lads will do on the tour. Is Petrucci a central player? I'm really looking forward to seeing Tunnicliffe on the tour. Hope he gets a decent amount of game time.

If either of those two show that they deserve a chance I would be happy if they were given it. I've seen very little of each of them, so I would need to see more.

I don't mind young guys being used to improve the midfield. Cleverley being given a shot at replacing Scholes, for example, would be something I would be happy with. As long as something is being done to try and improve the midfield problems. Fergie's slowness to address the problems at all is what bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Big fan of Petrucci, and he looked very good when he got his clear run last season, hopefully he can continue that this season as his development has certainly been hampered by his injury problems.

From what I know Tunni did quite well on loan also so if he impresses I won't mind seeing him get a few games, they are both a good bit away from being ready on the evidence shown so far though. Really would love to see both make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I love this away kit.

manchester-united-12-13-away-football-shirt-leaked-b

Don't like the wesbite URL on it, needs to smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

The away shirt is pretty nice.

Might pick it up. Not a fan of the home jersey, if anything I'd try pick up last seasons at a cheap price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

kryogen wrote: »
    Big fan of Petrucci, and he looked very good when he got his clear run last season, hopefully he can continue that this season as his development has certainly been hampered by his injury problems.
    I saw a limited amount of reserve games last season, but Petrucci was the stand out player in every game I saw. He showed an ability to play a killer ball in the final third that was missing in the first team(the Keane's were impressive too, but Petrucci offered something which we've been missing). I suspect Kagawa has been brought in to do just that, but Petrucci should definitely get some first team action next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Both home and away jerseys look silly to me. Silly collar on the away and silly tea towel effect on the home. I'm just going to have to wait a few months for my eyes to adjust so I don't notice those details any more. Until then I'm going to be slightly disappointed every time I see a United player wearing either get-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The crest on that jersey looks gammy. It's like someone photcopied the crest and used a bit of pritt stick to glue it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It reminds me of like one of those Chefs jackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Has that away jersey been confirmed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Can i ask lads what the general consensus on Nick Powell is on here?
    I don't exactly watch an awful lot of league 2 football so my entire opinion on him is purely based on the play off final and some Youtube clips.

Ferguson's comments recently about him playing in cm have me slightly worried though, because from what I have seen of Powell it doesn't seem to me like that's his position.

Obviously he is still extremely young, but looks pretty clear to me he should be an attacking midfielder or a forward, but as i say i have seen very little of the lad. Hoping someone who knows a lot more about him can enlighten me a bit on this situation.

Really hoping Fergie doesn't seem him as one of our main cm's for next season and is now finished in that department for the transfer window..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BBC Radio says we are close to signing a deal with Moura.

Dont blame the messenger!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nonsensical in your mind. Perfectly logical in his though :-D

For me I look back over the years and see he has a record of doing things that appear odd at first. I don't think it is a recent thing at all. Park played a number of games for United that I wouldn't have expected and on many occasions it worked out. I am still not even a little surprised Park played the city game. SAF, throughout his time at United picked players he has faith in even when the fans don't. McClair is someone we mentioned recently that got picked in the early/mid nineties and it appeared to make no sense.

Another example of the mad things he does - How many managers would have put on Macheda as a 17 year old in that situation? Not many and it actually worked.

Sir Alex is a gambler, sometimes he goes all in and sometimes he takes what he considers a calculated risk. It works for him a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Just a heafs up if anyone needs a football fix. Portland and Galaxy are playing. Halftime 2-4. Beckham has 2 and Keane has 1.

Just a heafs up if anyone needs a football fix. Portland and Galaxy are playing. Halftime 2-4. Beckham has 2 and Keane has 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Pretty sure that's a replay you're watching Will!

Pretty sure that's a replay you're watching Will!
    Yup I believe it is. That or they onpy take 5mins breaks at halftime in MLS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

BBC Radio says we are close to signing a deal with Moura.

Dont blame the messenger!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpPaSWsSLbrCsOvuNjbxUf8HczXDMasGL7Li-3MAXZ9XKq5XKd2Q

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »

Sir Alex is a gambler, sometimes he goes all in and sometimes he takes what he considers a calculated risk. It works for him a lot of the time.

unfortunately his gambles are paying off less and less over the past 18 months though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

unfortunately his gambles are paying off less and less over the past 18 months though. :(

As a begrudging admirer, I would point out that you only lost the league on the last day to a team that had spent a few quid. (And you won it at a canter the year before)

I thought the death knell had sounded for Utd, the day Fergie sold Beckham and Van Nis amongst others, but his madness was proved right.

(Glad to see the back of Park though, he always gave us a tough match!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wonder will we see much of Powell in the tour matches, and if so where will he be played?

It would have been brilliant to have signed a centre mid before the tour started but that's not gonna happen at this stage :(

What do ye guys think, will Fergie leave the window slip away without at least adding someone to the centre? Im seriously starting to have doubts. We havent even really been linked with a realistic centre mid since the window opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Carrick talking about pre-season;
    "Whether you win the league or not, at the start of every season, we always try to start afresh," Carrick told MUTV. "We'll do that again this year and set out our objectives and goals to win trophies again.

Pre-season is always quite gruelling although it's not as gruelling as it was when I first started my career 14/15 years ago because times have changed and the sports science side [of the game] has really developed.

The training we do nowadays is more specific to position - we don't go charging round doing cross-country runs anymore which wasn't very pleasant! It's more geared to what happens on the pitch and we'll be as fit as ever come the start of the season.

Sometimes you do enjoy pre-season - especially if you're ready to come back and get going again. When you have a long period of time off in the summer, you get a bit twitchy and want to come back into training. It's what we do and what we love.

There are days when the training is tough but it's enjoyable and the tour gives us a chance tovisit some great places and enjoy some great experiences. The pressure is off at this stage and we're just gearing up for the start of the season now."

The fixture computer has thrown up a tough start to the season, at Goodison Park, and television coverage means the Reds must wait until Monday night before getting going again.

"In some ways, it's good to start the season on a Monday night because there are internationals the week before so it gives us an extra few days to prepare and get players back and focus on the first game," he explained. "But, on the flipside, you want to get up and running as quickly as possible. That's how it is, though, and we'll just get on with it.

It's always a tough game against Everton and a difficult place to go. We've had some good results there and some indifferent ones, but we'll be ready and raring to go."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

177763_10150965972532746_1519699262_o.jpg

Ando hoping less hair means less injuries.
    Bebe absolutely delighted with a free beer.
    Classic Paul Scholes.

what must the lads like Scholes think of Bebe!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Players Pic

Ando hoping less hair means less injuries.
    Bebe absolutely delighted with a free beer.
    Classic Paul Scholes.

Ando is more aerodynamic that way! :)

Powell still can't believe he plays for Man Utd.
    Berbatov sitting alone, poor fella.
    Scholes pretending not to be missing Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is that Chico in the front? Who's on the right behind Bebe?

I'd say Powell had some crack at that table. Hopefully he did a bit of Portugese in school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not sure that's a beer, it looks like one alright but the glass on the table looks like the same thing, but it doesn't look like beer. Besides, what self respecting man would drink beer from a glass like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Looks like Berba.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Berba behind Bebe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Chico is looking at this thread on his phone saying " hey lads , all these langers think we re signing a cm!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anderson is like "So I told that bitch, I ain't doin' nuthin' til I get my god damn chicken".

I'd say Powell had some crack at that table. Hopefully he did a bit of Portugese in school.

apparently Ando hasnt a word of English, i wouldnt think Bebe has much either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

apparently Ando hasnt a word of English, i wouldnt think Bebe has much either.

Anderson does speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

apparently Ando hasnt a word of English,

He does, I've seen him do a few interviews with quite good English. He just seems to pretend he doesn't to act the shíte with interviewers every now and then.

His English is perfect, as this video shows.

The subtitles make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Very strange comments from Edwards. This has been happening a lot recently, especially with Rene Meulensteen around the time of the proposed transfers of David De Gea and Wesley Sneijder. Can't say I like it, reminds me of Harry Redknapp!

With regards the center midfield issues, I think the above poster (homerjay) could have hit the nail on the head. Currently we have the below players who could all either vouch for a first team spot in the middle or "do a job" there. Not ideal, but I think its unrealistic with our current squad and rumoured financial difficulties that Fergie would add to there.

Tom Cleverley average
    Paul Scholes should be retired
    Ryan Giggs should be retired
    Phil Jones found out last year, not his natural position
    Michael Carrick getting on a bit, not good enough
    Anderson lol
    Nick Powell teenager, not his natural position
    Shinji Kagawa not a CM. he's an attacking mid.

A left back will most likely arrive (due to the fact that Fabio is gone on loan and Patrice Evra has declined substantially) and unless that "special" player can be got for a decent fee, the center midfield will stay as is.

I'm happy enough with the squad. Next year it will need work (if Scholes and Giggs don't stay on for ANOTHER year that is!) and obviously it would be ideal to blood someone in this year, but I can't see what manager would make major changes. Yes, we were off in Europe, but in the league I thought we matched an excellent City team.

fergie needs to get real. the CM problem is huge. the fact that it's been a problem for 3 or 4 years and even longer is mystifying and fans should be putting pressure on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Never realised Usain Bolt was such a big United fan. I knew he visited us and all, but there's a great documentary about him just finishing on BBC at the moment. It was just a few hours after his shocking disqualification, and he was talking about how upset and annoyed he was - and then finished it with "....but I just found out Manchester United won so I'm happy."

Red legend :)

I'd say he definitely can speak the language. He probably doesn't have a great grasp of it and chooses not to bother speaking in front of the camera.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    He does, I've seen him do a few interviews with quite good English. He just seems to pretend he doesn't to act the shíte with interviewers every now and then.
    double GG wrote: »
    Anderson does speak English.

ah ok, Rio must have just been ripping the pi*s the other day then when he was slagging off his English...he said something along the lines of "Kagawa already has better English than Anderson" when he said that learning English was going to be important for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement