Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

froog wrote: »
    fergie needs to get real. the CM problem is huge. the fact that it's been a problem for 3 or 4 years and even longer is mystifying and fans should be putting pressure on him.

T Clev is average? Based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

baz2009 wrote: »
    T Clev is average? Based on what?

in all fairness, he has alot to proove. the lad has barely kicked a ball yet and has some distance to go to show he is good enough to be the heart of united midfield for the long term future.

he can be a great player for us and i hope he does become one, but there is no guarantee that he will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

in all fairness, he has alot to proove. the lad has barely kicked a ball yet and has some distance to go to show he is good enough to be the heart of united midfield for the long term future.

he can be a great player for us and i hope he does become one, but there is no guarantee that he will be.

Yeah, unproven doesn't equal average though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's equally as stupid to say he's average as to say he's gonna be a star after seeing him play only a handful of games for United. He looked a lot better than average in those games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

baz2009 wrote: »
    It's equally as stupid to say he's average as to say he's gonna be a star after seeing him play only a handful of games for United. He looked a lot better than average in those games too.

Unproven is the word. He looked very good, but has yet to prove himself long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd say he definitely can speak the language. He probably doesn't have a great grasp of it and chooses not to bother speaking in front of the camera.

As he says near the end of this revealing interview with Ronny a few years ago, "I don't speak English just Portuguese"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

shrewdness wrote: »
    As he says near the end of this revealing interview with Ronny a few years ago, "I don't speak English just Portuguese"!

I love this so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Kagawa vying for the 'Classiest sum bitch' on the United squad award. He will have to beat out Dimitar Berbatov the 3 time winner.

471138_10150966355087746_2054535126_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

phoneyabba.jpg

Enhanced photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Never realised Usain Bolt was such a big United fan. I knew he visited us and all, but there's a great documentary about him just finishing on BBC at the moment. It was just a few hours after his shocking disqualification, and he was talking about how upset and annoyed he was - and then finished it with "....but I just found out Manchester United won so I'm happy."

Red legend :)

Yea he's been fairly public about his love for them for a while now. He even wrote about it in his autobiography. Apparently he wants to play for United :p.
    Ideally, if I was to play football, I'd sign for my favourite team -- Manchester United. People say it's not realistic but nobody has seen me play so you never know. If Alex Ferguson [the Manchester United manager] saw me in one of those charity matches he might think I could replace Ryan Giggs

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/world_fastest_man_bolt_wants_united_FYqlsnKhpN2KmZILhpnMHP
    I ask about his ambitions. Ultimately, he says, he'd love to make a go of playing football professionally. He's being deadly serious. One of the perks of being Usain Bolt is that sporting stars love to meet him, so whenever he's travelling and there's time, he tries to train with a top football team. Last year it was Manchester United, a few days ago it was Bayern Munich. He's still carrying a copy of the French sporting newspaper L'Equipe, which features a spread on his football skills and praise from Bayern manager Louis van Gaal. He shows me a photo of himself with his arm wrapped round the dwarfed 6ft German forward Miroslav Klose. "If I keep myself in shape, I can definitely play football at a high level," he says.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/28/usain-bolt-interview

Must be handy being Bolt. Just arrive in Manchester and ask to train with United. Fly across Europe to Munich the next day and do the same with Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

chupacabra wrote: »
    I love this so much

This video is still my favourite United interview:

Skip til like 02:14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Sir Alex reveals team plans

Sir Alex has revealed the team news ahead of Wednesday's opening DHL tour game against AmaZulu.

Speaking after arriving in Durban, the boss revealed there will be a mix of youth and experience on show with Robbie Brady handed the chance to impress at left-back.

The winger has played there for the Reserves and is set to start, with Jesse Lingard operating further up the pitch and Shinji Kagawa making his debut.

"The priority is to get the experienced players fit but young players will play in each game. It's likely that Kagawa will start with Chicharito.

"Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes will play. So too Anders Lindegaard, Lingard and Brady at left-back. Antonio Valencia will play.

"The first thing we always try to do with the pre-season tour is to get everyone fit and try to avoid injuries. The priority is to get the players match-fit. That gives us a platform to say that, come the first day of the season, we are ready."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sir Alex reveals team plans

Sir Alex has revealed the team news ahead of Wednesday's opening DHL tour game against AmaZulu.

Speaking after arriving in Durban, the boss revealed there will be a mix of youth and experience on show with Robbie Brady handed the chance to impress at left-back.

The winger has played there for the Reserves and is set to start, with Jesse Lingard operating further up the pitch and Shinji Kagawa making his debut.

"The priority is to get the experienced players fit but young players will play in each game. It's likely that Kagawa will start with Chicharito.

"Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes will play. So too Anders Lindegaard, Lingard and Brady at left-back. Antonio Valencia will play.

Interesting choice there. Heard he played once or twice as full back for reserves. He is a good winger, not sure how he adapts to that role, but we have few very good examples of wingers converting to full backs.

Evans won't be fit for the start of the season whereas Smalling and Vidic will be. Will be great to see Vida back in the side.
    Jonny has had an operation," said Ferguson.

"I am not sure he will start the season but he won't be far away.

"Chris Smalling has done a bit of training.

"The ruptured groin muscle he had certainly needed a lot of attention.

"He is gradually progressing and I expect him to start the season."

Vidic will start the season, I am sure of that," said Ferguson.

"He is still at the level of doing good amounts of training but not in the competitive sense that the others have done so it was pointless bringing him out here.

"He is better being back at Carrington, with all the facilities and the physios to get him to the next level.

"By the time we get back, we hope he is at the competitive element of his comeback."

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1583605_triple-defender-boost-for-manchester-united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Interesting to see Brady get the nod at left full. Hope he does well. With the limited amount of defenders on the tour he should get plenty of game time.

Looking forward to this big time. Kagawa off of Chico, plenty of little through balls for Chico's pace, oh yes :)

• Advertisement

so in essence -

Smalling - hoping to be fit
    Vidic - hoping to be fit
    Evans - will miss the start but not far away.
    Fletcher - no update, wont be involved at start of season.

who else is injured at the moment, hopefully that is it touch wood.

the starting 11 tomorrow is going to be interesting!! i assume something like this -

Lindegaard
    Valencia
    Rio
    Carrick
    Brady
    Lingard
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Bebe
    Kagawa

Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Lads I'm thinking about getting mutv to watch the tour if I sign up for one month will I see all the games? can I just sign up for one month with sky? I already have the sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

fox007 wrote: »
    Lads I'm thinking about getting mutv to watch the tour if I sign up for one month will I see all the games? can I just sign up for one month with sky? I already have the sports

I'd use flash sports streams or liveonlinefooty if I was you. That's where I'll be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I'd use flash sports streams or liveonlinefooty if I was you. That's where I'll be watching.

What time is kickoff?

Macca07 wrote: »
    What time is kickoff?

7 bells our time.

Build up starts on MUTV at 6.30. I think it could be free view until the match starts too.

• Advertisement

7 o clock tomorrow I think .

so in essence -

Vidic - hoping to be fit

the starting 11 tomorrow is going to be interesting!! i assume something like this -

Lindegaard
    Valencia
    Rio
    Carrick
    Brady
    Lingard
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Bebe
    Kagawa

Hernandez

What about Jones and Cleverley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Eathrin wrote: »

Cleverley is going to the Olympics, Jones still has time off due to being at the Euros.

Eathrin wrote: »

One Is off till the 26/27 and the other is at the Olympics .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

SAF says United think even though Brady is an outside left he has the quality to develop as a left back.

Not sure what to make of that.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    SAF says United think even though Brady is an outside left he has the quality to develop as a left back.

Will be interesting choice that will be. Cleverley started as LB and then played as CM.

There are few players in the recent past who have started as winger but ended up as LB. He is a good LW though and a decent goal threat. Maybe SAF is trying him as LB just because we don't have anyone bar Blackett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Thats the polite way of saying, 'the only way you're going to make it at Utd is as a left back'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

See Suarez is at it again, what an absolute muppet.

"Suarez to Uruguayan TV about latest race row reputedly: #MUFC commands the politics of sports in #eng, you have to accept, there's no option"

Idiot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

so in essence -

Vidic - hoping to be fit

Lindegaard
    Valencia
    Rio
    Carrick
    Brady
    Lingard
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Bebe
    Kagawa

Hernandez

Would love to see Bebe start, albeit up front, which he won't! I still have a glimmer of hope in my heart for the scamp.

Without the full squad, Rio tour diary won't be as good as it was last season :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Would love to see Bebe start, albeit up front, which he won't! I still have a glimmer of hope in my heart for the scamp.

Get that little glimmer and crush it.

As much as I would like to agree with you, he ain't gonna make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Fenix wrote: »
    See Suarez is at it again, what an absolute muppet.

"Suarez to Uruguayan TV about latest race row reputedly: #MUFC commands the politics of sports in #eng, you have to accept, there's no option"

Idiot.

No. Not in this thread again.

Squad Photo on Dhl Tour . Look at Park on the Graphics on the bus :)

619143808.jpg?key=594370&Expires=1342529421&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=m-WDVTvD81MEX0tv11buuBNfMMVPu~J1-rAT9yPpcavrZTy0C5k7NES7rEXc7XUxBACvadyljVNg7j0H8Sf~84P4Pq6wP1fKAV8DS7GJ7LEGYyA0sC0sMoSKkFeg-HDYyKgNffrLUUD2mSYhUL5~vZJX0qdV9fEZEJeEyR0Hl~g_

Get that little glimmer and crush it.

As much as I would like to agree with you, he ain't gonna make it.

id be hoping for a Diouf style renaissance for him. sell him off for about 2-3 million to a club that can develop him.

Diouf before his injury, was a mini sensation at Hannover and lets be honest, was not much better at united than Bebe. only difference is spotlight is on Bebe more cos of the crazy price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Trap will still play him right side midfield!

Trap will still play him right side midfield!

Brady can play ball though. So on that note, trap won't pick him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good to see that Brady might actually get game or two this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

SAF on left back

its an area we are paying attention to - he says anyway.

In the last five years Evra played an average 45-50 games. He is still fit, a fighter. As he was never injured it left no game time for Fabio, who needs to play as he has enormous ability. We are short at left back now he is on loan so thats why Brady will be tried out.

he also mentions Blackett - he is big, strong boy, tall and quick going forward. He is only turned 18. Has time on his side, he is on tour for experience but may yet surprise us.

Looks like Brady will be developed as LB for the whole season not just preseason.
    "Young Robbie Brady will be at left-back. He's actually an outside-left but we believe there's the possibility he'll develop into a left-back. He was on loan last year at Hull City and did very well. He'll certainly figure at left-back. I don't know how many substitutes will be allowed - we need to establish that - but I'm sure we can be flexible. It's important the young players get a chance to play on such a big occasion.

"Left-back is an area which we're paying attention to. Patrice, in the last five years has played an average of 45-50 games. It's phenomenal. I don't know if anybody else has achieved that. He's still a fit lad and has the same drive and ambition. He's a fighter.

"Fabio went to QPR, which was so important for the boy because he has enormous ability, but he needs to play. Because Evra, touch wood, is never injured, the opportunities haven't been there for the boy. He played a few games last season but it's not enough for a young boy of 21 years. He needed to continue with his progress. With Fabio at QPR for a year, we're just a little short in that department.

"That's why we're trying Robbie Brady at left-back. We also have Tyler Blackett here - he's a big, strong boy, tall and quick going forward. But he's only just turned 18. He has time on his side but he's here for the experience and he may yet surprise us."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jul/sir-alex-ferguson-delivers-team-news-for-amazulu.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Good to see that Brady might actually get game or two this season.

There has been reports this morning linking him with another loan, on phone so cant search just now. Much prefer to see Blackett guven the games.

Ok lets take this Brady development as a sign that

a) Fergie won't sign a left back.
    b) Fergie will put the remaining transfer budget into a midfielder.. (Although I wouldn't rule out a winger at any stage as you can never have enough wingers! :P).

Fabio is playing Rb for Qpr today .

Oh and anyone looking to watch the match tomorrow on Flashsportstreams it will be on VIP15 just not on the schedule .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

TheTownie wrote: »

b) Fergie will put the remaining transfer budget into a midfielder.. (Although I wouldn't rule out a winger at any stage as you can never have enough wingers! :P).

I think its a clear indication that we will not sign a LB. However, I have a feeling that we might now be done transfer-wise for the summer.

Hopefully you are correct. Rather we put every penny on quality CM and promote LB from reserves (and Evans) than paying over 15 Million for Baines and not signing a CM.

Fabio is playing Rb for Qpr today .

Oh and anyone looking to watch the match tomorrow on Flashsportstreams it will be on VIP15 just not on the schedule .

Any stream to watch QPR match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

kryogen wrote: »
    There has been reports this morning linking him with another loan, on phone so cant search just now. Much prefer to see Blackett guven the games.
    Brady will be useful as an attacking option too, the team has lacked a good left footed attacker in recent seasons. Blackett will probably get a regular place in the reserves.

There hasn't really been anything so far but newspaper speculation on centre mids, I was hoping Fergie would wrap up the transfer business early, but I'm sure that won't happen now.

Wiki at its best as usual...
    Lucas Rodrigues Moura da Silva (born 13 August 1992 in São Paulo), commonly known as Lucas, who currently plays as an attacking midfielder or winger for Manchester United in the Premier League and the Brazilian national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Wiki at its best as usual...

:pac: He shares my birthday... albiet 7 years apart! That is if I can beleive that page... but its on the internet and it says he plays for United so it seems prety legit...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement