Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

lordgoat wrote: »
    Brady i don't think will make it at United. He'll be a good pro and probably play for Ireland at senior level but I don't think he's got enough to make it at the very top. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Both Keanes have played for united and england at this stage.

He does well for Ireland too. Kilbane was very praising of him. I've only seen the highlights of him but I'd have thought there was enough about him to at least get a look in at Unied and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Strootman and Modric both finished for the summer now; hope we can get a deal done for one of them over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hold my hand up about Modric. I honestly was not his biggest fan over past 9 months, but having watched him tonight and in Euros he was excellent.

Not saying anything, but if we are interested in him 25-30 million would be excellent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Strootman and Modric both finished for the summer now; hope we can get a deal done for one of them over the next couple of weeks.

Really would like them both but that is unlikely,I always did like Modric and really hope we can get him but i don't think he fancies moving up from London,wasn't that a factor last year in his decision to want to go to Chelsea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I'm back...

Shame I was proved 100% correct re David De Gea - His disastrous performances helped to cost us the league. A world class goalkeeper for the here and now is required.

Two world class midfielders are clearly required. Modric would be one. Kagawa could be a good signing but I suspect that we've just bought a journeyman to replace Park from a marketing perspective.

One or possibly two fullbacks are also required. The twins are jokers - Headless chickens that can't be trusted and Evra's gone rapidly downhill since WC 2010. Phil Jones is being afflicted with John O'Shea syndrome - Jack of all trades and master of none. He's not a fullback and neither is Chris Smalling.

Shame Morrison and Pogba were let go but if they were that good, they'd have been playing regularly.

Anderson had proven time and time again that he can't be relied upon - Dump him.

Add 3 - 4 top class players into the mix and we're on the pigs back.

So no ludicrous spin about "no value in the market" please Fergie. Stop defending the Glazers and get the chequebook out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sweet jaysus. Is it April 1st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Christ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sweet baby Jesus Sean,You really came back with some dose of tripe in that post.The only sensible bit was the need for a CM,even that wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

I'm back...

Shame I was proved 100% correct re David De Gea - His disastrous performances helped to cost us the league. A world class goalkeeper for the here and now is required.

Two world class midfielders are clearly required. Modric would be one. Kagawa could be a good signing but I suspect that we've just bought a journeyman to replace Park from a marketing perspective.

One or possibly two fullbacks are also required. The twins are jokers - Headless chickens that can't be trusted and Evra's gone rapidly downhill since WC 2010. Phil Jones is being afflicted with John O'Shea syndrome - Jack of all trades and master of none. He's not a fullback and neither is Chris Smalling.

Shame Morrison and Pogba were let go but if they were that good, they'd have been playing regularly.

Anderson had proven time and time again that he can't be relied upon - Dump him.

So no ludicrous spin about "no value in the market" please Fergie. Stop defending the Glazers and get the chequebook out.

best post ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm back...

Just want to say hi before you're gone again soon. Hopefully for longer next time.

Also Sean how've you been? Tell us.

Just one question:

If we buy Modric would you be happy if that was the last player we bought in transfer window?

Im undecided, but coming around to thinking think I would be happy.

I'm great, lordgoat...how are you?

I'd love to see United sign two central midfielders, a fullback and a goalkeeper though.

Still defending the indefensible (e.g. David De Gea)?

Dam!!!!!!!! when the ignore bottom is not enough

Just one question:

If we buy Modric would you be happy if that was the last player we bought in transfer window?

Im undecided, but coming around to thinking think I would be happy.

Yes.

We need more but if we got Modric it'd be a big step in the right direction.

Winning a battle to sign a player that our rivals actually want would send out a strong message.

When was the last time we won a transfer battle?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Yes.

Winning a battle to sign a player that our rivals actually want would send out a strong message.

I don't know for certain but didn't we beat Liverpool to sign Phil Jones, could be wrong here??

Also while De Gea did make some mistakes in the first half of the season, he grew in stature and confidence towards the end and will be our number 1 for years to come hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes.

It's not actually about winning transfer "battles"........
    You don't need to win transfer battles to win trophies, strangely enough.
    What message would it send out by the way? We "won" this battle, aren't we great?

Please please please, no more De Gea debate.

Saw this in the twitter thread on RedCafe: Richard Laverty@JournoRich: 'Rumours' tonight of #MUFC interest in Porto left-back Alvaro Pereira and that Davide Petrucci will soon sign a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We didn't win the league last season so sell half the team.

BazBox wrote: »
    Yes.

I don't know for certain but didn't we beat Liverpool to sign Phil Jones, could be wrong here??

Also while De Gea did make some mistakes in the first half of the season, he grew in stature and confidence towards the end and will be our number 1 for years to come hopefully.

You're spot on - Arsenal wanted him too J think.

Be good to see us beating the likes of Real, City and Chelsea though. Modric is class and the right age.

De Gea may end up being world class but he isn't right now. I predicted that he would cost us the league and in my view his shambolic performances did just that. He showed no bravery and infected the back four with uncertainty - It was patently obvious that they'd no faith in him.

He should have been bought and then loaned out to toughen him up and give him the experience he needs. We cannot afford to have a goalkeeper learning on the job.

• Advertisement

Copy and paste........copy and paste........copy and paste.....

adox wrote: »
    Please please please, no more De Gea debate.

Someone forgot to tell Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

I'm back...

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

kippy wrote: »
    Yes.

It's not actually about winning transfer "battles"........
    You don't need to win transfer battles to win trophies, strangely enough.
    What message would it send out by the way? We "won" this battle, aren't we great?

Sorry man, but that's ridiculous.

If you constantly lose transfer battles to your rivals, they're highly likely to end up with better players. It's not about winning the battle as an end in itself - It's about having a better team/squad than your rivals.

We really needed Nasri / Ozil / Neuer to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We could do with Messi as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you constantly lose transfer battles to your rivals, they're highly likely to end up with better players. It's not about winning the battle as an end in itself - It's about having a better team/squad than your rivals.

Nasri? LOL...

Ozil never wanted to come to England and same for Neuer. At least come up with some realistic targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm back...

Hahaha I'm loving it. Pure genius. You should apply for Eamon Dunphy's job on the RTÉ panel when he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who let him back in ffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If it is ridiculous why have United somehow managed to win as much as they have in the past decade?
    There's this thing called unlimited money in the game nowadays, and United simply cannot compete with clubs with that in mind, so the tend to buy the players that come in "under the radar" so to speak.
    Were United ever actually "in" for any of those players? It's not always a matter of "we're united, come to us", there are many reasons players pick one club over another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We could do with Messi as well.

Was thinking the same, and saw this lad for Portugal the other night, Cristiano Ronaldo was his name, looks as serious prospect. Youngster playing for Italy tonight called De Rossi could be big also, probably get him on the cheap

• Advertisement

Messi in between the sticks for Utd next season then? All agreed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

lads, do me a favour, stop quoting him, defeats the purpose of ignore. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

De Gea played as well as any PL keeper in the second half of the season. Saying he infected the back 4 with uncertainty then is ridiculous.

When did he do it? When he did this?

degeaojai9.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I never get tired of that save :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Sean Bateman was proven right on De Gea? I thought conno16 was the De Gea critic?

Who was conno16 always slating then? I'm confused.

G.K. wrote: »
    De Gea played as well as any PL keeper in the second half of the season. Saying he infected the back 4 with uncertainty then is ridiculous.

degeaojai9.gif

Ah, the oft quoted Chelsea game.

We won a point thanks in part to some good saves from David De Gea.

However, that one point hardly compensates for horror shows like the Blackburn game which cost us three.

We need a top class 'keeper for the here and now while De Gea develops. We cannot afford to have a callow youth from Spain trying to come to terms with the physicality of the English game while we're trying to slay the City beast.

Required this summer:

2 CMs
    1 or possibly 2 fullbacks
    1 Keeper
    1 striker if Berba's sold

Ok I think it's fair to say Sean thinks Utd need a new keeper and pretty much everyone else who posts here doesn't.

Can we not get drawn into pages and pages of circular arguments on the subject that do nothing but irritate the masses? I mean we had page upon page of this drivel fr the first few months of the season. It's been done to death and then some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

However, that one point hardly compensates for horror shows like the Blackburn game which cost us three.

We need a top class 'keeper for the here and now while De Gea develops. We cannot afford to have a callow youth from Spain trying to come to terms with the physicality of the English game while we're trying to slay the City beast.

Required this summer:

2 CMs
    1 Keeper
    Every keeper has a bad game.Who has not?Hart vs Sweden,Cech has had a good few.Same with Reina,Sczency etc.De gea started poorly but has progressed hugely.He is a world class keeper.One midfielder is enough.No full backs needed.Evra has to up his game.Rafeal could be a huge part of the team if he stayed injury free and concentrated.No keeper.If,and I do not believe it will happen DDG plays poor next season Lindegaard is a great keeper too.We do not need a new striker if Berba goes.We have to many.Owen and Berba played hardly ever because Fergie stuck with Javier,Dan and Wayne.A new striker and we have a new unhappy face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I miss Conno. He brought people together. The enemy of my enemy is my friend type of stuff.

Can i make a prediction that United are finished in the transfer market for this summer. Can't see them winning a bidding war for Modric and United need to offload some dead weight in the meantime. Sure ffs we havent even offloaded Berbatov yet.

Hope they are not finished for the summer. But fergie seems to have targets and if he cant get them he sticks with what he has. I can see him sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Required this summer:

2 CMs
    1 Keeper

I think there are much better keepers than De Gea, but none that would be readily available to buy at a decent price. So for now I think we should stick by him.

I agree totally on the need to get rid of the twins and sign two proper full backs. They are too lightweight and unreliable.

Two Centre Midfielders I have wanted for the past two seasons. Carrick is a waste of space, scholes is past it, fletcher not the same player he was and Anderson didnt fulfill his potential. Sneijder and a strong tough tackler like Dembele would be perfect. I think Ferguson was looking at Sigurdsson near the end of last season. Would be a good addition to the squad.

Definitely a striker is needed too. Welbeck is a class act, but a clinical poacher/finisher is needed too. Hernandez doesnt seem to get enough playing time though.

Edit: almost forgot, if we could get rid of the liability that is Rio, I would be over the moon :)

stooge wrote: »
    I think there are much better keepers than De Gea, but none that would be readily available to buy at a decent price. So for now I think we should stick by him.

I agree totally on the need to get rid of the twins and sign two proper full backs. They are too lightweight and unreliable.

Two Centre Midfielders I have wanted for the past two seasons. Carrick is a waste of space, scholes is past it, fletcher not the same player he was and Anderson didnt fulfill his potential. Sneijder and a strong tough tackler like Dembele would be perfect. I think Ferguson was looking at Sigurdsson near the end of last season. Would be a good addition to the squad.

Definitely a striker is needed too. Welbeck is a class act, but a clinical poacher/finisher is needed too. Hernandez doesnt seem to get enough playing time though.

Edit: almost forgot, if we could get rid of the liability that is Rio, I would be over the moon :)
    doublefacepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

You must be related to Sean are you?

yomtea98 wrote: »

Required this summer:

2 CMs
    1 Keeper
    Every keeper has a bad game.Who has not?Hart vs Sweden,Cech has had a good few.Same with Reina,Sczency etc.De gea started poorly but has progressed hugely.He is a world class keeper.One midfielder is enough.No full backs needed.Evra has to up his game.Rafeal could be a huge part of the team if he stayed injury free and concentrated.No keeper.If,and I do not believe it will happen DDG plays poor next season Lindegaard is a great keeper too.We do not need a new striker if Berba goes.We have to many.Owen and Berba played hardly ever because Fergie stuck with Javier,Dan and Wayne.A new striker and we have a new unhappy face.

Hi yomtea

I think that Evra needs a kick up the backside - He's been a shadow of his former self since South Africa. Signing a fullback should provide this. I don't think that the Da Silvas are the answer - Time and time again they've proven themselves to be unreliable headless chickens.

Agree re Lindergaard - If we installed him as No 1, I'd be happy enough.

Don't agree re the strikers - I'm a firm believer that you need four - Remember the glory days of Cole, Yorke, Teddy and Ole? Not suggesting a huge purchase - In fact, I'd hold on to Berbatov.

We must sign Modric - If his "real value" is £28m and we end up paying £40m, so be it. It's a statement of intent. We've p..sed away millions over the years on wasters. If we end up overpaying for a proven talent in an area we're desperate to strengthen, it's nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

I don't agree with getting rid of the twins could have some serious potential there, would not want to sell them but they are far from the finished article, fabio will be loaned out next year and Rafael is not going to play week in week out. I think we need to sign at least one FB if not 2 as Evra is getting no competition.

I really look forward to watching Welbeck next year I think the Euro's will do him the world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A) Why the **** are people responding to this rubbish?

B) Why do the mods do **** all about this rubbish?

• Advertisement

Hi yomtea

I think that Evra needs a kick up the backside - He's been a shadow of his former self since South Africa. Signing a fullback should provide this. I don't think that the Da Silvas are the answer - Time and time again they've proven themselves to be unreliable headless chickens.

Agree re Lindergaard - If we installed him as No 1, I'd be happy enough.

Don't agree re the strikers - I'm a firm believer that you need four - Remember the glory days of Cole, Yorke, Teddy and Ole? Not suggesting a huge purchase - In fact, I'd hold on to Berbatov.

We must sign Modric - If his "real value" is £28m and we end up paying £40m, so be it. It's a statement of intent. We've p..sed away millions over the years on wasters. If we end up overpaying for a proven talent in an area we're desperate to strengthen, it's nothing to be worried about.
    Modric would be an unbelievable signing,one I feel come the end of the season would swing the title towards United.The problem is there is no chance of us paying over 25 million for anyone.The money is simply not there.All revenue we get pays the Glazers debt.It is not going to happen.I feel Kagawa could be our playmaker.I have seen him a good few times times and is a intelligent player with an eye for goal.Great signing imo and for the money rumoured bargain.Berba should go but we should not spend big money on a striker because they will be behind three others.Rafeal and Fabio have huge potential if they are given time in a settled back four.They have both commited poor mistakes will they have been here but I have seen some quality aswell to say they could be the new nevilles

jdooley28 wrote: »
    I don't agree with getting rid of the twins could have some serious potential there, would not want to sell them but they are far from the finished article, fabio will be loaned out next year and Rafael is not going to play week in week out. I think we need to sign at least one FB if not 2 as Evra is getting no competition.

I really look forward to watching Welbeck next year I think the Euro's will do him the world of good

Euros fatigue could be a major problem for us though.

Yes it'll affect other teams too but Evra, Jones, Nani, Young, Wellbeck and Rooney are all still in the tournament and Giggs may end up playing in the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

1 rotational left back
    1 high profile centre mid

That's it and I'm happy, Powell is 4th striker and Kagawa fills a gap in ACM.
    De Gea is class, no need for debate.
    Kagawa will be class for us too I'm sure, ridiculous to suggest it's a marketing gimmick.

1-2 players and we have an unbelievably talented squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I agree with that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

G.K. wrote: »

degeaojai9.gif

Please don't ask him football questions. Honestly it's like at christmas when the really embarrassing uncle turns up and tries to get down with the lingo. But in reality they haven't a ****ing clue what's going on.

Mother of God, there are two of them. Dembele a strong tackler? Wow. Ya Wesely really set the world alight last season and at the euros. And incase you missed it Fletcher is, at present, out of the game indefinitely.

I'm done replying to these two (not GK), I suggest everyone else that grows weary of them do the same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement