Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just to be clear I wasn't having a go at kryo.

If we are to get RvP (dont think we should) I'd like to see berba go the other way (assuming hes leaving) he'd be so silky smooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Has anyone actually linked us to Moutinho or is it just a case of someone that's available that we should be in for?

We were linked alright, the most reliable source being from the Times however all speculation regarding him and United appears to have gone cold.

Tottenham were heavily linked too but are reported to have dropped out of the race due to Porto's asking price.

Paul Hayward ‏@_PaulHayward
    It's true that Manchester United fancy their chances of signing Van Persie. But they'll be wary after City's late pounce for Nasri

That's the chief sports writer of the Telegraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The signing of Kagawa and the pursuit of Hazard and Moura would, to me, indicate Kagawa, Nani, Valencia behind Rooney as SAF's favoured line-up in the coming season.

I think the signing of van Persie contradicts this - Would this mean that van Persie would play up front, with Rooney dropping into central midfield?

I think someone posted recently here, that playing our best attacker in midfield makes no sense whatsoever, and I agree.

We dont need van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah since Headshot retired Mitch has had the crown of most posts and now the phenom Kryogen has ousted him. Someone put in a £30m bid for Kryo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'm third on the list and No I have no hope or chance of catching Kryogen unless I pick up a nice fight with some member :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

RVP signing is an odd one.

I don't want United to buy him at all. On the other hand, I want United to buy him. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The squad for Feb 2012 only had 22 players listed.

Kuszczak, Owen, De Leat, Park all gone. Berbatov likely to go before end of august. Thats down to 17

kag makes 18.

7 spaces left.

De Gea, Rafael, Welbeck would move into the pre jan 1st 91 category.

4 spaces left - I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We wont sign RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Indeed, very very strange. must be some reason united pulled out of that, as it looked to be nailed on earlier along with the Powell deal.

He wasn't nailed on to come to us for a few weeks now. He was heavily linked with West Ham for the last while. I'm surprised he didn't move there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

United signing Van Persie would be indescribably amazing.

Fcuk your midfielders, sign him up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

keane2097 wrote: »
    United signing Van Persie would be indescribably amazing.

Fcuk your midfielders, sign him up!
    :D It would definitely be a positive!

But I refuse to believe Utd are even in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Modric seems destined for Madrid so we can scratch him off our list,the latest on SSN is that the deal is almost done.

Fergie wants to go back to high tempo attacking but looking back we always had a lynchpin in midfield to help out ala Robson & Keane but now we have a gaping hole with Carrick sitting in a screening role in front of the back four plus when it comes to a fight in midfield he goes missing.

van Persie
    Rooney
    Kagawa----Anderson
    Cleverley
    Nani
    Evra
    Vidic
    Smalling
    Rafael
    de Gea

Sure van Persie and Rooney would be able to help out the midfield way more than most other strikers would. Both are number 9s and number 10s. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rvp calls himself a 9 and a half .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It wouldn't surprise me if Utd buy Van Persie. Proven in the Prem. A year left on his contract so his few may not be ridiculous. Plus it would stop Man City buying him. Plus, he seems to be a level headed lad and career oriented so I think Fergie would like to have that type of player in his squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Blatter wrote: »

van Persie
    Rooney
    Kagawa----Anderson
    Cleverley
    Nani
    Evra
    Vidic
    Smalling
    Rafael
    de Gea

Sure van Persie and Rooney would be able to help out the midfield way more than most other strikers would. Both are number 9s and number 10s. :pac:

Van Persie
    Rooney
    Nani
    Kagawa
    Valencia
    Scholes
    Carrick

Smalling---Vidic---Ferdinand

De Gea

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd be happy enough with our summer if we got RVP. I'd obviously love a proper midfielder brought in but after last season, the prospect of RVP in a United jersey is mouthwatering.

That said, I still dont believe we'll get him if City are in any way interested....

Pj! wrote: »

Van Persie
    Rooney
    Nani
    Kagawa
    Valencia
    Scholes
    Carrick

De Gea

Where is our 'False' LB and 'False' RB? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

That said, I still dont believe we'll get him if City are in any way interested....

I think he's one of the few players who'd chose Utd over City. He's been in the Prem for years now. He knows the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pj! wrote: »

Van Persie
    Rooney
    Nani
    Kagawa
    Valencia
    Scholes
    Carrick

De Gea

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Where is our 'False' LB and 'False' RB? :confused:

HELLOOOOOO!!!?!! FFS Do we have to spell it out for some people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

RVP would be an amazing signing for Utd, saying that I would be amazed if it happened.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    HELLOOOOOO!!!?!! FFS Do we have to spell it out for some people. :rolleyes:

Excuse me for not being the brightest, I for one thought Valencia was our False RB.

Thanks for clearing it up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Rvp calls himself a 9 and a half .

That's because he knows he is half the player Nicky Butt was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

De Gea
    -Rafael--Smalling--Vidic--Evra
    --Valencia--Carrick--Rooney---Nani
    Kagawa

Van Persie

Not ideal by any means, but something tells me this is the way Fergie wants to go. I wish he would just sign a CM and forget about strikers we don't need though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think he's one of the few players who'd chose Utd over City. He's been in the Prem for years now. He knows the deal.

Deluded tbh.

He'd clearly choose;

1) The PL Champions
    2) The club who'd pay more wages
    3) The club that's full of friends/ex team-mates of his
    4) The club with the better chance of honours going forward

City pip Utd on all those things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Saucer of milk for Mr Alan.

Me-ow! ;)

Still though, he's right. RVP would know more of the City squad, they would pay him mahoosive wages and they are Champions.

I don't see it, and also don't want to see it happening.

If we were spunking 25m on an Arsenal player, at least make it Wilshere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

nicklauski wrote: »
    Saucer of milk for Mr Alan.

Me-ow! ;)

Still though, he's right. RVP would know more of the City squad, they would pay him mahoosive wages and they are Champions.

I don't see it, and also don't want to see it happening.

If we were spunking 25m on an Arsenal player, at least make it Wilshere.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RVP would be an amazing signing for Utd, saying that I would be amazed if it happened.

signing any player of genuine world class thats wanted by our rivals would would amaze me, it rarely happens at united.

i assume if we got him, that would be our spending over then for the summer. would make most people happy i assume, probably means a more withdrawn role for rooney.

lets wait and see what happens, we are used to disappointments so i dont expect it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

De Gea
    -Rafael--Smalling--Vidic--Evra
    --Valencia--Carrick--Rooney---Nani
    Kagawa

Van Persie

Not ideal by any means, but something tells me this is the way Fergie wants to go. I wish he would just sign a CM and forget about strikers we don't need though.

The only reason Rooney was in midfield last season was as a stop gap, I'd imagine it's the type of thing he volunteered to do for a few games. He's our best striker, he simply has to play up top unless we're very stuck again.

• Advertisement

signing any player of genuine world class thats wanted by our rivals would would amaze me, it rarely happens at united.

i assume if we got him, that would be our spending over then for the summer. would make most people happy i assume, probably means a more withdrawn role for rooney.

lets wait and see what happens, we are used to disappointments so i dont expect it to happen.

Not signing RVP won't be a disappointing at all, only last season he was fit for whole season before that he missed many games in every season.

Not signign CM will be disappoiting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I think Valencia will be played RB quite a lot this year. Not least because Rafael picks up a niggle every 65 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fenix wrote: »
    I think Valencia will be played RB quite a lot this year. Not least because Rafael picks up a niggle every 65 minutes.

Have you forgotten about Smalling and Jones?

Felexicon wrote: »
    :eek:

Really? Do you not rate him or think the price is too much Felexicon? Genuine question, not having a pop or anything.

I think Wilshire is a cracking player, tough tackler, comfortable on the ball.
    It was unfortunate that he was injured for last season, but I think if he has his injury behind him now, he'll kick on and be probably Arsenals most important player if RVP leaves.

I'd actually prefare Valencia to Smalling or Jones at RB. I just don't think thier crossing is up to scratch for a full back.

Really? Do you not rate him or think the price is too much Felexicon? Genuine question, not having a pop or anything.

I think Wilshire is a cracking player, tough tackler, comfortable on the ball.
    It was unfortunate that he was injured for last season, but I think if he has his injury behind him now, he'll kick on and be probably Arsenals most important player if RVP leaves.
    I think at the moment that kind of price is a bit on the steep side considering how long it's taking him to get back from this injury. Maybe with a bit more football under his belt in a season or two that price might be justified.

I do like him as a player, I just don't think he's enough of a presence in midfield to solve our problems at the moment.

Of course he could as you say, kick on from here and this time next year or even in two months be saying he's worth 40 million

Take into account, he's English, selling him to one of your main rivals and I think anyone would be doing well to get him for circa 25m :)

Take into account, he's English, selling him to one of your main rivals and I think anyone would be doing well to get him for circa 25m :)
    True. If they used the same valuing system that was used for Andy Carroll he'd be woth about £217mil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Felexicon wrote: »
    I'd actually prefare Valencia to Smalling or Jones at RB. I just don't think thier crossing is up to scratch for a full back.

I'm usually more concerned with the quality of their defending, rather than their crosses.

• Advertisement

I'm usually more concerned with the quality of their defending, rather than their crosses.
    That's fine. Thier defending is of a good enough standard, I just feel that the ability to over lap and provide good crosses is an essential skill for a modern full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Has to be Fergie's plan....

De Gea
    Valencia-Rio--Vidic--Evra
    -Cleveley-Carrick-Anderson
    Kagawa
    Rooney-Van Persie

Nani sold cause he is a contract rebel (or because we need to somewhat balance the transfers), Young being the winger who is left out - could play centrally (where I have Kagawa) or as LB in our attacking full backs providing the width formation.

Kinda like what Barca do with Alves and, now, Alba, providing the width.

Fergie... I see what you are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

De Gea
    Kagawa
    Rooney-Van Persie

Cleverley and Ando injured in the first game and back to square one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Both of which are not full backs! I think he will play Valencia because he is good going forward, has a great cross, tracks back and will work like a trojan all day. Add to that, he is spoilt for choice in valencia's main position and is seemingly going for a much more narrow approach (less old style wingers) and yeah, I can see Valencia being regular RB. Will probably do well at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Macca07 wrote: »
    Cleverley and Ando injured in the first game and back to square one...

Replaced by Scholes and Giggs - you can't buy experience like theirs.

Tunnicliffe and Petrucci next in line - you can't buy club mentality like theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

De Gea
    Kagawa
    Rooney-Van Persie

Nani sold cause he is a contract rebel (or because we need to somewhat balance the transfers), Young being the winger who is left out - could play centrally (where I have Kagawa) or as LB in our attacking full backs providing the width formation.

sure stick rooney in at CB and de gea up front while you're at it.

• Advertisement

De Gea
    Kagawa
    Rooney-Van Persie

Will be very disappointed if we sell Nani. Now itself we are saying we don't have many players who can come up with magical moment to win the game, if we sell Nani then it's safe it say we have none :(

froog wrote: »
    sure stick rooney in at CB and de gea up front while you're at it.

Young has played behind the striker many times for England, Villa and even for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Fenix wrote: »
    Both of which are not full backs! I think he will play Valencia because he is good going forward, has a great cross, tracks back and will work like a trojan all day. Add to that, he is spoilt for choice in valencia's main position and is seemingly going for a much more narrow approach (less old style wingers) and yeah, I can see Valencia being regular RB. Will probably do well at that.

Valencia might be better going forward than the two of them but aren't you forgetting one important aspect of a full backs job? Defend!!

Anytime Valencia has played right full for us he has seemed dodgy enough both position wise and especially so under high balls. The only time I think we will see Valencia there this season is if we have another awful injury run and Smalling & Jones are both out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jesus Christ my heart jumped seeing RVP in formations. I'd love him but he's not what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I honestly can't fathom how you people on here talk such nonsense sometimes :) I mean sure, he's in contract NEGOTIATIONS but has he ever said he wants to leave? NO. He's said the opposite and wants to stay.

There is ZERO Interest from any club (that we know of)

Honestly..............Am I the only one who takes no notice what-so-ever of tabloid media until I hear an official release from the club, if I were to believe half the **** that was talked about we'd have sold EVERYONE this summer and have bought EVERYONE bar madonna and britney spears.

PS. Berba, you're the SMEX

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement