Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

We're going to the late night showing. Hopefully it won't be too bad then.

Unless everyone has the same idea :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

rio1.jpg

Rio doing....something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Samich wrote: »
    Lucas

Welcome to Manchester

Do you know something we don't, Sambo?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Do you know something we don't, Sambo?
    I hope he's on about Lucas Moura not Lucas from Liverpool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Or Matt Lucas!!!

The more I think about it the less I like it. If he signs it means Nani is pretty much gone and I don't feel comfortable trading a prospect (albeit a great prospect) with a player who consistently produces more assists than most players in the league as well as chip in with important goals himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Have my tickets booked for Vue Liffey Valley at 23:40 tonight. Will need a nap after work today.

If it came down to getting either RVP or Lucas, who would you rather? Neither are the player we think we need but i would opt for Lucas. Youth and potential are on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

The new Away kit is being launched today. Nothing on Manutd.com or any of the sports retailers site though. Seems to be very low key?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So apparently we ARE in for a LB after all...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/7918253/Fergie-won-t-be-left-short

Asked if he (SAF) would be signing a left-back he confirmed: "Yes. We have two young lads we gave a bit of time to against AmaZulu [their first pre-season friendly] but they are young.

"Patrice will be all right. He's shown he has a resilience about him and has a great attitude to playing, but he is 31 next month."

Ferguson admitted it can be an issue attracting a player when he has to compete with Evra - who is a virtual ever-present when fit.

"That's a possibility," he said.

"But we are not at the stage where we're assessing that. It's not an easy decision to make."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GSPfan wrote: »
    Have my tickets booked for Vue Liffey Valley at 23:40 tonight. Will need a nap after work today.

If it came down to getting either RVP or Lucas, who would you rather? Neither are the player we think we need but i would opt for Lucas. Youth and potential are on his side.

Saw it on wednesday.

Suck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Eathrin wrote: »
    What do people think of Berba as a Cm?
    Realistic or just a fantasy?

You can get away not tracking back as a striker but if you don't track back as a centre mid your team will be in serious trouble.

Don't get me wrong the man, has a great touch and can pass but can't see him busting him gut for 90 minutes which is what cms must do.

Also he'd have to learn to tackle.

• Advertisement

Saw it on wednesday.

Suck it.

Like when you sucked off Ben Affleck?

Saw it on wednesday.

Suck it.

Damn you to hell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    rio1.jpg

Rio doing....something.

"Nawh man, I'm not a racist. Look, here's me proving how not racist I am with my friend from Africa! He's a proper magnum like me....OH GOD, DON'T PRINT THAT!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Sir has absolutely nailed dalglish :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9412911/Manchester-United-manager-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-claims-Luis-Suarez-racism-row-cost-Kenny-Dalglish-his-job.html
    “I wasn’t surprised at Kenny leaving,” Ferguson said. “I think that the Suarez incident, [Liverpool owner] John Henry has obviously looked at that and felt it wasn’t handled in the right way.
    the wizard still has it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

conor360 wrote: »
    I hope he's on about Lucas Moura not Lucas from Liverpool :cool:
    Lucas Leiva would be a far better fit for us than Lucas Moura assuming we are not losing any wingers to transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United, City and Juve all bid for RVP according to BBC.

if United get him (won't though) the squad will be stacked.

well, if you exclude midfield that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

@bbcsport_david: "Arsenal receive bids from #mcfc, #mufc & Juventus. He will not go on pre-season tour: http://bbc.in/OLMEhr #bbcfootball #afc"

Hmmmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We (along with Juve and City) have had bids rejected for RVP according to the BBC and our lucas bid has been rejected also.

i wonder how does it work, lets say both were accepted, would we pull out of one or does that mean we have about 60million euro to spend?

both deals are strange but would make us a hell of a lot more exciting to watch next season if it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Is there an actual source for our bid for Lucas or is it all twitter/Daily Fail talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Great to hear we are actually in for him. Amazed really.

Come on Van Persie, you know it makes sense!!

prepares for disappointment

Homer, where do you see that tne bids were rejected?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow... well, it will be interesting to see if Arsenal let him go, and if so it'll be interesting to see who he chooses to go to.

Some people seem to think the choice between City and Utd is an obvious one, I don't think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

i wonder how does it work, lets say both were accepted, would we pull out of one or does that mean we have about 60million euro to spend?

If we get the pair of them we move onto our next target, a cm, I'm thinkin Yaya.

We could pull out of the 2nd deal if we get word on one. Unlikely they are both going to phone us at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The conspiracy theorist in me says that the club knows we won't be getting RVP or Lucas so are bidding for PR reasons to try to prove the club has loads of money while actually not having to worry about paying for said players

/tinfoil hat on

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Homer, where do you see that tne bids were rejected?

BBC put up the RVP story a few mins ago, Sky put up the Lucas one about 30 mins ago.

so i guess that means both transfers are true. total bids so far are £27m and £15 million according to both links.

that would be roughly equal to the £55-£60million we spent last year (including kagawa and powell).

Having a Robin Van Persie would ease the burden on Wayne Rooney. Rooney is played so much and is rushed back from injury every time. It would be nice to have another Match Winner up front that can drag us through games. Thats something i feel only Rooney can give us in the squad at the moment.
    In saying that, cant see it happening and wont be gutted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

kryogen wrote: »
    The conspiracy theorist in me says that the club knows we won't be getting RVP or Lucas so are bidding for PR reasons to try to prove the club has loads of money while actually not having to worry about paying for said players

/tinfoil hat on

I was thinking the exact same to be honest, especially with the IPO coming up which is not expected to raise as much as was first hoped. Over-cynical ?

RedRants ‏@Red_Rants
    Apparently United have completed the signing of RvP. Clubs plan to announce it tomorrow after medical tonight #mufc #dontshootthemessenger

be prepared that this will grow legs and message boards and all forms of social media will go into meltdown as this gains momentum :(

i wouldnt expect anything to happen for a long time yet regarding rvp and my money would be on the following -

Wenger refusing to allow him to go to City, Juve outbidding United.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

be prepared that this will grow legs and message boards and all forms of social media will go into meltdown as this gains momentum :(

i wouldnt expect anything to happen for a long time yet regarding rvp and my money would be on the following -

Wenger refusing to allow him to go to City, Juve outbidding United.

My expectation would be similar...Wenger refusing to let RvP go to City after the Nasri debacle, United outbidding Juve, but RvP going to Juve instead of a PL rival.

I was thinking the exact same to be honest, especially with the IPO coming up which is not expected to raise as much as was first hoped. Over-cynical ?

see, that is possible and to be honest it has came into my head a few times before, like Sneijder last year for example. alot of people have this view, especially the real anti Glazer brigade.

however, the story that we were sure of getting Hazard and he was shown around the facilities is true according to Miguel Delaney, whose word i would take as gospal to be honest.

my fear is that like last year, United will give up if the offers are not accepted and then we are left with nothing. the key thing however is, can you honestly see Fergie taking part in this? his reputation within the game suggests he is in no way inclined to mess with players like this and waste time on mind games and PR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It could be just a ploy to push the price up for City too.

I don't think United would ever act in the way some people are suggesting.

If they did angry chairmen would be tellling the world, United are making bids and then just pulling out. It would destroy confidence other teams have when dealing with United and commercially it would be a disaster. How many companies would want to be involved with a football team that acts like that? Maybe chicken farmers in india.

Big time companies like DHL? No way.

united are not messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Leftist wrote: »

um, hardly.

anyone with any intelligence knows that cost Kenny his job, at least in part.

SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone with any intelligence knows that cost Kenny his job, at least in part.

ya right. when i suggested this last January, i was lashed out of it by Liverpool fans for even daring to say this was the case.

there are alot of liverpool fans who believe he did nothing wrong with that entire case and it was his transfers and selections that cost him, leading of course then to bad results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

kryogen wrote: »

/tinfoil hat on
    Yeah, this is mental. I'm sure the club would damage relations with a plethora of other clubs by unsettling their players or offering money they were never willing to pay.

Yeah, this is mental. I'm sure the club would damage relations with a plethora of other clubs by unsettling their players or offering money they were never willing to pay.

well see they can do it simply by knowing full well a club wont sell for less than lest say £20million, but offering £17million.

the offer can be genuine, just united know its never going to be accepted. as i said though, i doubt Fergie would be interested in that s*it and United have a turnover of around £300million, they dont need PR like fake transfers, its on pitch results that generate more money than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Exactly. Although Fergie is no longer involved in transfers, he would be involved enough to know if that stuff was going on.

Anyway, it's far more likely that because of the money situation, they are trying to get players on the cheap. I'd say they set certain budgets before negotiations for players and refuse to exceed them.

ya right. when i suggested this last January, i was lashed out of it by Liverpool fans for even daring to say this was the case.

there are alot of liverpool fans who believe he did nothing wrong with that entire case and it was his transfers and selections that cost him, leading of course then to bad results.

yup, there are fans who believe that, but they're not John Henry.

the argument here isn't whether he did anything wrong anyway; the argument is that John Henry didn't take kindly to the handling of it, which is what partly cost Kenny his job. I remember Henry taking a trip over at the height of it, and Kenny making a statement not too long after backtracking quite a bit.

transfers, selections and results also had a huge part to play i'd say, as FSG said they wanted 4th, and we were nowhere near.

anyway, this is the Utd thread :D sorry all.

i just wanted to point out that Fergie saying what that the Suarez case cost Kenny his job wasn't in any way wizadry on his part. it was plain as day Henry didn't take kindly to Dalglish's tactics in the Suarez case.

• Advertisement

united don't have to offer the money, they just have to let the press get on with it. Leak a few 'insider' tips etc. Child's play. The support will then keep regurgitating the news.

There is a genuine united forum that these newspapers take their news from.

news from united supporters, sometimes it's as obvious as the nose on sir's face.

i just wanted to point out that Fergie saying what that the Suarez case cost Kenny his job wasn't in any way wizadry on his part. it was plain as day Henry didn't take kindly to Dalglish's tactics in the Suarez case.

one of saf's old nicknames was the wizard. Anyone following united for more than a few years would be aware of that.

Leftist wrote: »
    one of saf's old nicknames was the wizard. Anyone following united for more than a few years would be aware of that.

1) i don't support Utd, so i didn't have a clue.

2) awesome, then it's a stupid nickname so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

yup, there are fans who believe that, but they're not John Henry.

the argument here isn't whether he did anything wrong anyway; the argument is that John Henry didn't take kindly to the handling of it, which is what partly cost Kenny his job. I remember Henry taking a trip over at the height of it, and Kenny making a statement not too long after backtracking quite a bit.

transfers, selections and results also had a huge part to play i'd say, as FSG said they wanted 4th, and we were nowhere near.

anyway, this is the Utd thread :D sorry all.

It's still a shìt stirring kind or dig to point that out though. A dig at Kenny and an annoyance for those more biased Liverpool fans who still want to believe that Kenny handled it all well.

I'm not usually into the bitching that gets called mind games, but I enjoyed this bit of bitching from Fergie I must say.

1) i don't support Utd, so i didn't have a clue.

2) awesome, then it's a stupid nickname so :D

brilliant. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Landing both RVP and Lucas would immense but are they really needed or are we just CM obsessed in here????
    Homer made a fair point regarding CM a few days ago and this now looks like how Fergie sees it.
    I do believe that if Lucas comes i can see Nani being surplas to requirements and put on the market,a pity but having two flair players is not Fergie's way i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

A number of sources including the Independent have always said that Juventus is Van Persie's first choice.

What's the likelihood that United can offer sufficiently more to change his mind if this is so?
    And if Utd do offer more, what are the chances that they will match what City offer.
    And if they can match City, what are the chances that Van Persie will choose Utd over City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Guardian are saying United didn't match the 20 million bid. They probably lodged a bid of around 8 or 9 million for the laugh :P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/20/arsenal-manchester-united-robin-van-persie?CMP=twt_gu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Guardian are saying United didn't match the 20 million bid. They probably lodged a bid of around 8 or 9 million for the laugh :P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/20/arsenal-manchester-united-robin-van-persie?CMP=twt_gu

If they have bid for him I expect a deal to be thrashed out. Utd have always bid low (as you do) and then increase it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's still a shìt stirring kind or dig to point that out though. A dig at Kenny and an annoyance for those more biased Liverpool fans who still want to believe that Kenny handled it all well.

I'm not usually into the bitching that gets called mind games, but I enjoyed this bit of bitching from Fergie I must say.

It's probably pay-back for Suarez digging the whole thing back up again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement