Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Mirror saying:
    It is understood that United's bid is way short and is not even near the figure of £15m

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I know he's only a year left on the contract but he's still easily worth spending the 20million on even if it's not the most urgent area in the team that needs improvement! It's quality like him that United need to realistically compete with the best in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Although it would be quite nice to sign either Lucas or RVP and both would certainly be a great addition to the squad regardless of the fact that we're pretty stacked in their positions, I don't think we'll sign either realistically.

Lucas is just too damn expensive (over valued), I think that one's ran it's course.

RVP is more likely, especially if he can be got for a figure in the teens. The only stumbling block is obviously the competition. Money wise City will blow us out of the water if they need to and Juve have as good a pedigree and history as we do if that can sway him.

I can't lie though, whether we actually need him or not, if I read a headline in the morning 'RVP pens 3 year deal with Manchester United' I'll be absolutely thrilled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It wouldn't surprise me if RVP signed a new 2 year deal with Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Bob Cass has just tweeted this...

Quote:
    Great sit down with Fergie. Worth waiting for. He looks totally releaxed. Looks like he's got everything under control.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Cass/status/226269234290888704
    Quote:
    Fergie is trying to buy - Baines, RVP, Lucas. But it won't bother him if he doesn't. Won't pay above the odds.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Cass/status/226270054155694081

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well United have good midfield players on paper.

its the worry that Anderson and Clev won't last a season and spend a lot of time on the sidelines.

if United go for three in cm then I am happy with Anderson, Carrick, Cleverley, Scholes, Giggs backed up by Jones, Powell and with Tunni, Petrucci coming through.

To make that set of midfield players work the attack is going to need some real fluid and dangerous attackers. It would ease a lot of the pressure on the midfield if we get an extra player in there and three real attacking dangers on the field to take the oppositions focus off our midfield.

I think the key is getting another player in to the side to play midfield, making three, rather than getting new players to make up the standard two man midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
    Arsenal dismiss Manchester United's bid for Robin van Persie as other offers from Manchester City and Juventus also fall short

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is getting fùcking ridiculous. Talk about wasting money and the good players we already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So we're actually bidding for him :eek:

Would you say we set our sights on him or is it to stop City from buying him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Bob Cass? Is this not the fella that Fergie lashed out of it last year about
    "what you wrote in your f**kin paper, you can f**k off"

I can't see Fergie letting that go too easy and then tell him his summer plans at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement

nicklauski wrote: »

Apparently they kissed and made up ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

can you honestly see Fergie taking part in this? his reputation within the game suggests he is in no way inclined to mess with players like this and waste time on mind games

Eh.... thats his favourite hobby tbf

dahat wrote: »
    having two flair players is not Fergie's way i think.

What does that make ronaldo cos nani was around when he was. Nani will stay, there has been no hint of interest in him in the press has there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

nicklauski wrote: »

I can't see Fergie letting that go too easy and then tell him his summer plans at the drop of a hat.

exactly.

The only remotely believable aspect of this rvp nonsense is united offering a laughable bid vs city and juve.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

The valuation for Lucas Moura seems a bit over OTT i think. If united can't get him for 30mil they may as well have a look at Sahin who could probably be got for less than that, has played with Kagawa before, and has experience playing in top European leagues (albeit hardly any games in La Liga)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭recyclops

http://www.m-u-f-c.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.php?t=18894&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I always thought this OP was bull**** but looking likely now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

United have had a bid turned down, " in the region of 15 million pound " for Van Persie, according to multiple sources. Apparently Arsenal will not accept anything less than 20 million for there want away star

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18922208

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

recyclops wrote: »
    http://www.m-u-f-c.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.php?t=18894&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I always thought this OP was bull**** but looking likely now

It's not in any way looking likely.

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's still a shìt stirring kind or dig to point that out though. A dig at Kenny and an annoyance for those more biased Liverpool fans who still want to believe that Kenny handled it all well.

I'm not usually into the bitching that gets called mind games, but I enjoyed this bit of bitching from Fergie I must say.

Fergie is just trolling which he does well tbh!

He was outdone by Mancini last season though who played a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Michel Bastos may leave Lyon to join Al-Ain (UAE) for around € 7 or 8 million, according to 'L'Équipe'.

Jesus, why not move for Bastos?? Haven't seen him play in ages but he can't have gone that bad. Could be got pretty cheap, is 28, provide some competition for Evra, will last a few years by which time we should know for sure whether Fabio has what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheTownie wrote: »
    Jesus, why not move for Bastos?? Haven't seen him play in ages but he can't have gone that bad. Could be got pretty cheap, is 28, provide some competition for Evra, will last a few years by which time we should know for sure whether Fabio has what it takes.

He is not even a LB now, started playing as LW from many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fergie is just trolling which he does well tbh!

He was outdone by Mancini last season though who played a blinder.

Funny how football works, one goal away from losing his job and now its 'he played a blinder'. I think it was clear for huge chunks of last season Mancini had no idea what he was doing, can you imagine Fergie with his squad?

Anyway, thank God its the weekend in two hours so I don''t have to keep on hitting 'refresh' on Yahoo's transfer news. Nothing has happened all week yet i still keep on looking in hope. it really is the funny season all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Funny how football works, one goal away from losing his job and now its 'he played a blinder'. I think it was clear for huge chunks of last season Mancini had no idea what he was doing, can you imagine Fergie with his squad?

Anyway, thank God its the weekend in two hours so I don''t have to keep on hitting 'refresh' on Yahoo's transfer news. Nothing has happened all week yet i still keep on looking in hope. it really is the funny season all right.

Eurosport's Transfer News refreshes itself constantly ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

While its widely know that I would make any piece of clothing look good, I tried on the away shirt and it's very nice indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I may go down and try it on tomorrow. What price was it?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He is not even a LB now, started playing as LW from many years.

Hes more competent a LB than Valencia is a RB. If he stated he wouldn't be willing to play LB then fair enough but worth the query at least IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

NIKE-GROUP_532x425_1551359a.jpg

Looks really good imo, just waiting for someone to photoshop Van Persie in...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheTownie wrote: »
    Hes more competent a LB than Valencia is a RB. If he stated he wouldn't be willing to play LB then fair enough but worth the query at least IMO.

Yeah but Valenica is not our second choice RB, just emergency RB when we don't have any more options.

I think from last 4 or 5 years he played as LW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

These RvP rumours and Lucas rumours actually seem to have some substance over most rumours. More than Sneijder last year anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I know he's only a year left on the contract but he's still easily worth spending the 20million on even if it's not the most urgent area in the team that needs improvement! It's quality like him that United need to realistically compete with the best in Europe.

United already have quality like him in Rooney and Kagawa. Then we have an unbelievable set of wingers too. There is a lack in quality in the squad for competing in Europe, but that lack is in the centre of the pitch and at left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Michu has signed for Swansea for £2 million, bargain for a player who scored 15 goals from midfield in Primera Division last season for Rayo Vallecano.

United were linked at one stage.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yeah but Valenica is not our second choice RB, just emergency RB when we don't have any more options.

I think from last 4 or 5 years he played as LW.

When Evans gets fit again he can fill in there.

Surely we have put in a recall clause in Fabio loan? Pretty stupid if we didn't.

Anyway it was a suggestion of a person who, if could be got relatively cheap and is still willing to play there, would provide competition to a player to rarely gets injured. Would obviously give an extra option at LW too.

Utd are all about value for money don't ya know! :P

Although that is working on the premiss of keeping as much money as possible available for a CM but since Fergie doesn't seem to agree we might as well go out and spend big on a world class left back at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Adding RVP automatically improves the team but I can't understand how we could find room without getting shot of a few attackers.

Do we not also have the same issue as Berba/Rooney were two strikers are too similar in how they play to work well with each other (in terms of wanting to drop deep and have time on the ball)

smokedeels wrote: »
    Adding RVP automatically improves the team, but I can't understand how we could find room without getting shot of a few attackers.

Do we not also have the same issue as Berba/Rooney were two strikers are too similar in how they play to work well with each other.

Berba was signed as the final piece in the jigsaw. We had Tevez and Rooney who were identical players but we lacked a presence in the box, with someone who stayed close to goal.

Ended up he was too slow, the games pace increased. Counter attack is where you're at the most dangerous. Berba doesn't work in a fast direct team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff
    United defender Reece Brown, brother of Wes, has joined Coventry City on a season-long loan.

• Advertisement

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff
    United defender Reece Brown, brother of Wes, has joined Coventry City on a season-long loan.

Didn't know they were bros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Ben Amos gone on loan to Hull for the season.
    Who'll be our 3rd choice keeper for the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Samich wrote: »
    Berba was signed as the final piece in the jigsaw. We had Tevez and Rooney who were identical players but we lacked a presence in the box, with someone who stayed close to goal.

Ended up he was too slow, the games pace increased. Counter attack is where you're at the most dangerous. Berba doesn't work in a fast direct team.

I thought Berba's final downfall was that Hernandez and Wellbeck complemented Rooney (yeah, pace had a lot to do with it) and brought more out of him. Rooney is the talisman and the attack is built around him.

I'm just wondering if the pairing of RVP and Rooney would step on each others toes too much to work well.

I thought Berba's final downfall was that Hernandez and Wellbeck complemented Rooney (yeah, pace had a lot to do with it) and brought more out of him. Rooney is the talisman and the attack is built around him.

I'm just wondering if the pairing of RVP and Rooney would step on each others toes too much to work well.

The way I see it is Berba wouldn't try and get behind the defence so it was quite easy to defend. It's all about pace really. (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Kagawa is only 8.5 mil in the fantasy football! Bargain!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

If Arsenal are holding out for £20 million as they seem to be then they are playing a very dangerous game. For me it all depends on whether RVP has already set his mind on joining a particular team and I'm sure he has given it plenty of thought, be it for financial, footballing or geographical reasons.

Supposing he has made a decision and it is Utd then the reports that Sir Alex has told friends he's confident he'll sign for us and our low-ball offers make more sense. That said while I'd love to see it happen I'll be very surprised if it comes off. Cash plus Berba swap perhaps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Macca07 wrote: »
    Ben Amos gone on loan to Hull for the season.
    Who'll be our 3rd choice keeper for the season?

Sam Johnstone maybe?

I can see it being a rotation of RvP and Rooney between CF with Rooney and Shinji for AMC. Kagawa to get games out wide as we;; freeing up space in the front 2 for Welbeck and Hernadez on occasion and particularly the smaller games.

cdb wrote: »
    If Arsenal are holding out for £20 million as they seem to be then they are playing a very dangerous game. For me it all depends on whether RVP has already set his mind on joining a particular team and I'm sure he has given it plenty of thought, be it for financial, footballing or geographical reasons.

Supposing he has made a decision and it is Utd then the reports that Sir Alex has told friends he's confident he'll sign for us and our low-ball offers make more sense. That said while I'd love to see it happen I'll be very surprised if it comes off. Cash plus Berba swap perhaps??

If I was RvP I don't know who I'd choose. I'm sure he'd be quite envious over the past few years, Utd have usually got one over on Arsenal and they're always going for the title. City for the money though.

When was the last time Utd had a trophyless season? (and not including last season ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

cdb wrote: »

Im just curious, but how are Arsenal playing a very dangerous game holding out for as much money as they can get? If Man City are serious about getting RVP and are willing to splash the cash required than RVP would sign for them ahead of Man Utd if Man Utd cant come to an agreement with Arsenal, even if he had a preference to sign for you. They can offer him ridiculous wages and its not like Man City arent ambitious (something which RVP claims Arsenal lack).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its July. Arsenal would be stupid not to hold out for the biggest fee possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Fenix wrote: »
    NIKE-GROUP_532x425_1551359a.jpg

Looks really good imo, just waiting for someone to photoshop Van Persie in...

Looks like an England rugby jersey, but is an improvement on this years home jersey which is shokcing, and even worse up close than in pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

€20 million plus for an injury prone 29 year old striker is not what we need. Since Man City paid €25 million for Adebayor, they'd blow us out of the water in a bidding war.

When was the last time RVP was out for more than a couple of weeks through injury? Actually when was the last time he missed a game through injury?

I keep hearing he's injury prone, and while he was in the past, I've heard very little about him picking up injuries overthe last 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Maybe we're bidding so that Man City end up paying more?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement