Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Might get to see the likes of Cleverley tonight in the Olympic Pre-Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Niiiiiiice, some football to watch. And on BBC too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Or Moura :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Lads I'm new to the twitter thing.

Any decent, even half decent, in the know united people worth following on it with regards to transfers and general club news. Fans or journos?

Pj! wrote: »
    Or Moura :cool:
    Rafael too...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Or that new lad

Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Dancor wrote: »
    Lads I'm new to the twitter thing.

Any decent, even half decent, in the know united people worth following on it with regards to transfers and general club news. Fans or journos?

Howard Nurse is decent out. But I wouldn't know many more. I barely use twitter for United news, get that in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Been confirmed we are after rvp, baines and lucas by Bob Cass. he is in south africa with the team and met fergie this morning. however fergie not willing to pay over odds and wont think twice about backing out of all three.

Been confirmed we are after rvp, baines and lucas by Bob Cass. he is in south africa with the team and met fergie this morning. however fergie not willing to pay over odds and wont think twice about backing out of all three.

Seriously? Savage.

I suppose if we sign them players we can't be complaining about Chelsea or City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

That's old news

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79827709&postcount=4506

Shane St. wrote: »
    Bob Cass has just tweeted this...

Quote:
    Great sit down with Fergie. Worth waiting for. He looks totally releaxed. Looks like he's got everything under control.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Cass/status/226269234290888704
    Quote:
    Fergie is trying to buy - Baines, RVP, Lucas. But it won't bother him if he doesn't. Won't pay above the odds.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Cass/status/226270054155694081

Source?

??? Did u read the full post? The source is in there. yesterday somebody posted elsewhere that he was the most reliable source out there along with howard nurse though have to say he comes across as a bellend at times.

That's old news

Aplogies i am travelling today so only posting with limited access. didnt read the last few pages.

Aplogies i am travelling today so only posting with limited access. didnt read the last few pages.

Was news to me :)

??? Did u read the full post? The source is in there.

I wanted to know where you found out Bob Cass said what he said. You do realise this is the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Cleverley and Giggsy playing for GB tonight.

Can't wait to see Cleverley up a good Brazil side, will be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The same Bob Cass who Sir Alex previously said to him "You and your paper can **** off.!, over his article which he quoted off the record comments by fergie regarding United's interest in Sneijer!

• Advertisement

It's like groundhog day in here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

titan18 wrote: »
    Imo, he's better than Kagawa. I'd say he's equal to Rooney, but I think both could play together quite well.

If we do manage to sign him, obviously it's a problem as between Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Nani and Valencia you have 5 players who should be playing and then Hernandez, Young, Welbeck etc who are also good enough, but tbh if Kagawa has to sit on the bench or play on the left cos we sign RVP, then so be it, if he can prove in training, that he deserves to play then that competition for places is a good thing. Not having to rely on Rooney to score everything would be nice too

Kagawa is better than either Rooney or RVP in the number 10 role so I don't see how it would improve the team to not play him there. Rooney can play 10 very well, but Rooney+RVP isn't going to be more effective than Kagawa+Rooney. I've seen Kagawa on the wing and he's good, but I still think he's wasted there and the wingers we have already are excellent.

Hernandez is easily a 20 goals a season striker. Kagawa is worth a good number of goals. Plus Nani and Young are going to chip in with goals too. There is no shortage of goals in this team that RVP would be needed to address. The only reason Rooney was relied on so much last year was because Fergie persisted with Welbeck who is still developing that part of his game and because the central midfield was absolutely useless once Cleverley and Anderson got injured.

So 20m spent on RVP just means we end up with a player on the bench who is more than good enough to start. It's a total waste of money.

Bringing Song into this team would improve the team far more than RVP would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pro. F wrote: »
    So 20m spent on RVP just means we end up with a player on the bench who is more than good enough to start. It's a total waste of money.

Bringing Song into this team would improve the team far more than RVP would.

Now it's time to make a list of players we can buy for 20 Million. :pac:

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Andy Carroll minus his head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Not sure if anyone takes any interest in these things but a horse part owned by Paul Scholes and John O'Shea won at Ascot today, horse's name is Diaminda, might be worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fergie has confirmed to MUTV that Utd have made a bid for RVP.

As good as VP is, I can't get my head around his thinking on trying to sign him.

• Advertisement

£20m
    Lass Diarra
    Fellaini (might need a few mil more to convince Moyes)
    Vidal (unlikely that he would want to move again so quickly)
    Or €32m for Javi Martinez

Didn't know Cleverley was so ginger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I read last week Lass Diarra might be available for as little as €5 million

£20m
    Lass Diarra
    Fellaini (might need a few mil more to convince Moyes)
    Vidal (unlikely that he would want to move again so quickly)
    Or €32m for Javi Martinez

I don't like Lass, Fellaini, Vidal would be quality additions.

We can even sign Ever Banega.

Van Persie would be absolutely massive for United or any team. No question. Absolutely no question. United's chances of winning the title will greatly improve if we get him.
    The guy is at the peak of his career and is a massive threat up front.

Scored or assisted 58% of Arsenal's goals last season. 58% of a top Premiership teams goals!!

It's mind boggling to read that people don't want him. Absolutely mind boggling.

• Advertisement

Pj! wrote: »
    Van Persie would be absolutely massive for United or any team. No question. Absolutely no question. United's chances of winning the title will greatly improve if we get him.
    The guy is at the peak of his career and is a massive threat up front.

Scored or assisted 58% of Arsenal's goals last season. 58% of a top Premiership teams goals!!

It's mind boggling to read that people don't want him. Absolutely mind boggling.

It's also mind boggling that few are not realizing that scoring the goals was not at all a problem for us, losing midfield battles is the problem which should be fixed.

Signing RVP means we have to play out big summer signing out of the position.

Rooney, Kagawa, Nani, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, Hernandez that's enough firepower there.

It's also mind boggling that few are not realizing that scoring the goals was not at all a problem for us, losing midfield battles is the problem which should be fixed.

Signing RVP means we have to play out big summer signing out of the position.

Rooney, Kagawa, Nani, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, Hernandez that's enough firepower there.

But we lost the league on GD? :pac: I get where you're coming from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Don't forget that Van Persie is due an injury he got lucky staying injury free last season.

adox wrote: »
    Fergie has confirmed to MUTV that Utd have made a bid for RVP.

dNLPd.gif

Samich wrote: »
    But we lost the league on GD? :pac: I get where you're coming from though.

I think someone has already mentioned it, we lost the league when we let Everton score 2 goals when we were 4-2 up, we couldn't keep the ball and also against City when we fail to have a shot on target when they dominated midfield completely.

Against Wigan when we couldn't string 2 passes together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

RvP is a better striker than Rooney. Kagawa is supposedly a better 10 than Rooney (I havent seen enough of him to judge)

Tbh I think we should cash in on Rooney, don't like him

I think someone has already mentioned it, we lost the league when we let Everton score 2 goals when we were 4-2 up, we couldn't keep the ball and also against City when we fail to have a shot on target when they dominated midfield completely.

Against Wigan when we couldn't string 2 passes together.

ahhh but had the city match finished 30 seconds earlier our midfield wouldn't have lost us the league ;)

RvP is a better striker than Rooney. Kagawa is supposedly a better 10 than Rooney (I havent seen enough of him to judge)

Tbh I think we should cash in on Rooney, don't like him

And then when RVP is injured? Rooney is the heart beat of the team, many may disagree, but that's how I see him.
    Samich wrote: »
    ahhh but had the city match finished 30 seconds earlier our midfield wouldn't have lost us the league ;)

Had we won the league, I would have still said our midfield is a problem.

And then when RVP is injured? Rooney is the heart beat of the team, many may disagree, but that's how I see him.

Rooney has a tendency to be very streaky for a main man. He was also out of order with the way he handled his last negotiation in public. Not the United way.

Had we won the league, I would have still said our midfield is a problem.

Yeah but saying our midfield lost us the league is a lot worse than saying out midfield is a problem but we still won the league. :)

• Advertisement

Rooney has a tendency to be very streaky for a main man. He was also out of order with the way he handled his last negotiation in public. Not the United way.

And RVP is also going same thing at Arsenal?

And last season was the first time RVP scored over 20 league goals.

His contract negotiations sage is over, even Rio was payed big wages to keep him at United.

And RVP is also going same thing at Arsenal?

And last season was the first time RVP scored over 20 league goals.

His contract negotiations sage is over, even Rio was payed big wages to keep him at United.

Regardless of the RvP situation I'd have Rooney out (replaced). Rio didn't have the carry on as Rooney.

We can even sign Ever Banega.

Good player indeed. But if it was my call I wouldn't trust him to come into the English league and be the player we could rely on defensively in there. He is a well rounded type, but I get the feeling he isn't quite as interested in the defending as he is in the passing. I might be being overly harsh on him; it's just not the call I would make.
    RvP is a better striker than Rooney.

No he's not.

Good player indeed. But if it was my call I wouldn't trust him to come into the English league and be the player we could rely on defensively in there. He is a well rounded type, but I get the feeling he isn't quite as interested in the defending as he is in the passing. I might be being overly harsh on him; it's just not the call I would make.

He is not bad either, works hard for the team and is not afraid to put a tackle.

What I love about him is his ability to retain possession, he is very good on the ball. In the last few years apart from Wilshere he was the only CM I was impressed with playing against Barca.

If we want to do better against teams that press high up the pitch then we need players like Banega who is very good on the ball.

He is not bad either, works hard for the team and is not afraid to put a tackle.

What I love about him is his ability to retain possession, he is very good on the ball. In the last few years apart from Wilshere he was the only CM I was impressed with playing against Barca.

If we want to do better against teams that press high up the pitch then we need players like Banega who is very good on the ball.

I totally agree the player brought in needs to be good on the ball as well as defensively. I just don't trust Benega completely defensively. Maybe I just need to watch him some more.

Imo Fellaini and Lass are quite good on the ball and so fit that bill. Vidal and Martinez too, but they are just pipe dreams probably.

I totally agree the player brought in needs to be good on the ball as well as defensively. I just don't trust Benega completely defensively. Maybe I just need to watch him some more.

Imo Fellaini and Lass are quite good on the ball and so fit that bill. Vidal and Martinez too, but they are just pipe dreams probably.

Vidal, Martinez, Fellaini all are very good players and will add a lot to our first team but I dont think Lass will. Maybe he will but for some unknown reason I never liked him at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The more I think about it, the less convinced I become by the sign (insert random name here) for midfield theory. I don't think it will solve any problems by just adding more players.

United will still end up outnumbered and outplayed in that area if persisting with a two man central midfield.

United need to change up the system more than the players. We need a really destructive attack well backed up by a solid rather than dynamic midfield. If SAF finally sets the team up with three in that central area it will solve a lot of problems without signing anyone. Having a good attack set up provides an option for the midfield players. Its easy to pressure any midfield if they have nobody to pass the ball to, that is united main problem when pressured. Not that the players can't hold onto it, of course they can, all they need is more passing options.

I also thought SAF would hate to put people in the way of players like Lingard, Powell, Tunnicliffe, Petrucci so is reluctant to sign a midfield player.

But then he goes off and tries to sign Lucas and RVP - added to Kagawa, Rooney, Nani, Young, Valencia then he is putting serious obstacles in Welbeck, Hernandez, keane, Macheda's way.

so my head is buzzing trying to figure out his what his plans actually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

dNLPd.gif

Haven't been keeping abreast of things on here or in the media over the summer so probably a funny post alright.

Reminds me why I haven't been posting here since the end of the season.

I'll bow out again til the start of the season

I suspect Fergie will be disappointed not to have Lucas Moura signed up before the Olympics start. He looks tasty against Team GB. Can only add to his price tag.

• Advertisement

I suspect Fergie will be disappointed not to have Lucas Moura signed up before the Olympics start. He looks tasty against Team GB. Can only add to his price tag.

The pace. Reminds me of when Ronaldo made his debut v Bolton, just went by players so easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement