Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone else saddened at our pathetic approach in the transfer market of late? Our derisory bids for players miles out of our grasp. It's clearly become a medium to appease the fans into thinking: "there's still money to spend"

Benzema, Ozil, Sneijder, Nasri, etc. were all players we put 'money on the table' for. We hadn't a chance of signing any of them and we have no chance of signing van Persie. He's too much respect for the Arsenal fans to make such a silly move. Besides, he's an injury prone player. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to sign van Persie if we didn't have a collection of players with the ability to play in the forwards including a certain Bulgarian who's being sold. I don't think he's a better player than Rooney. But, besides that, he's a class act. He's currently the best striker in the league but I'd rather take my chances with Welbeck and sign a CM.

But we aren't really trying to sign him. I'd hate if we signed Lucas too. The only reason we're not going out and signing a good CM is becuase we haven't finished 3rd or 4th yet in this spell.

It's nothing short of madness with the talent Chelsea and City have in their ranks. At the level we are hoping to get to Tom Cleverley isn't good enough and Anderson isn't good enough.

Come the first of September we'll hear the 'no value in the market' line and I'll be praying that Michael Carrick can keep fit for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone else saddened at our pathetic approach in the transfer market of late? Our derisory bids for players miles out of our grasp. It's clearly become a medium to appease the fans into thinking: "there's still money to spend"

Benzema, Ozil, Sneijder, Nasri, etc. were all players we put 'money on the table' for. We hadn't a chance of signing any of them and we have no chance of signing van Persie. He's too much respect for the Arsenal fans to make such a silly move. Besides, he's an injury prone player. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to sign van Persie if we didn't have a collection of players with the ability to play in the forwards including a certain Bulgarian who's being sold. I don't think he's a better player than Rooney. But, besides that, he's a class act. He's currently the best striker in the league but I'd rather take my chances with Welbeck and sign a CM.

But we aren't really trying to sign him. I'd hate if we signed Lucas too. The only reason we're not going out and signing a good CM is becuase we haven't finished 3rd or 4th yet in this spell.

It's nothing short of madness with the talent Chelsea and City have in their ranks. At the level we are hoping to get to Tom Cleverley isn't good enough and Anderson isn't good enough.

Come the first of September we'll hear the 'no value in the market' line and I'll be praying that Michael Carrick can keep fit for the season.

To be honest, with the way the Glazers have riddled the club with debt, I would get used to it.

I don't think ye can compete financially with the big cubs any more.

I think Ferguson has won his last PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

He is ****ing quick. I am more excited about the prospect of signing him now. Fook where he would or wouldnt play. Plenty of games and plenty of players. Every year theres games we have to rest Rooney and every time we do we struggle. Nani goes in and out of form. Having a RVP and/or Lucas would be great to fill in those gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

GSPfan wrote: »
    He is ****ing quick. I am more excited about the prospect of signing him now. Fook where he would or wouldnt play. Plenty of games and plenty of players. Every year theres games we have to rest Rooney and every time we do we struggle. Nani goes in and out of form. Having a RVP and/or Lucas would be great to fill in those gaps.

Dont be fooled by the quickness - just look at Walcott!

His first run was just running into the space that was left, he looked so surprised that when he got into the peno box, he panicked and looked for the pass, instead of shooting.
    He doesnt impressive me much in the last few games I have watched him

Neymar was the live wire, cut out the diving etc and he would be a serious player

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

djPSB wrote: »
    To be honest, with the way the Glazers have riddled the club with debt, I would get used to it.

I don't think ye can compete financially with the big cubs any more.

I think Ferguson has won his last PL.

lol. I love when people say stuff like this. Even if we don't sign anyone else this summer Fergie will still have the team competing well for the league. Chelsea raised the stupid money stakes and left United behind years ago and Fergie has still won plenty of PLs since then.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    lol. I love when people say stuff like this. Even if we don't sign anyone else this summer Fergie will still have the team competing well for the league. Chelsea raised the stupid money stakes and left United behind years ago and Fergie has still won plenty of PLs since then.

Thats true, but Chelsea were stupid letting Mourinho go and Roman getting far too involved in transfers. That had a big part in it.
    Chelsea should have won a lot more because of Roman as much as in spite of him!
    I'd be more afraid of City. Not so trigger happy and not so interfering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ferguson is a man who beat Mourinho to a league, twice. Mourinho with a billionaire owner that is.

I'm not sure.

I think ye performed close to yer peak last season, while City were below their best and they will improve.

Chelsea will be there or thereabouts next season.

It's the fact that the club is burdened with debt that will cost ye in the long term.

I always thought Fergie should have retired after the 10-11 season, just before City came to the top.

He would have retired as a legend, and even more of a legend if City only starting becoming a force the year after he retired.

He could have blamed his predecessor for the rise of City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

While I understand your want for a midfield player I think you are being hard on United.

To be fair, Benzema chose Madrid, he never wnated to sign for United.
    Ozil went for small money, less than Kagawa was signed for. United were never in the running to start with.
    Sneijder deal didn't fail becuase of a transfer fee, inter would have sold. United didn't want to take on his wages nasri was never a possible once city got involved. There is actuallty no shame in that.

Van Persie's actions contradict your too much respect for Arsenal fans line.

have a good look at the City And Chelsea midfields. If you can get past YaYa's name you won't see much else to worry about.

Looking at this summer so far, United bid for Hazard was accepted but player chose elsewhere. Big bid has gone in for Lucas, it was rejected but no shame in that, after all Madrid and Inter failed with attempts to sign him. Remember the Kagawa deal was actually pulled off, other clubs were interested but United got the job done so I don't see a whole lot wrong with United transfer approach (well if you ignore the targets and focus on how they go about buying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Dont be fooled by the quickness - just look at Walcott!

His first run was just running into the space that was left, he looked so surprised that when he got into the peno box, he panicked and looked for the pass, instead of shooting.
    He doesnt impressive me much in the last few games I have watched him

Neymar was the live wire, cut out the diving etc and he would be a serious player

Neymar was terrible imo. I'd love to see him sign for City or something. With the amount of tricks he tries no wonder he scores a savage goal from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I agree but I think that City are far more advanced than Chelsea. I still think it will be us and City next year but I think Chelsea with a two solid CBs and another midfielder to play behind could be very dangerous. If Oscar, Hazard, Piazon and Mata can click they will be very good. I just still think they are about two years away before disturbing City.

I think city, United and Chelsea will become sort of an elite 'top three' for a few years similar to the 'top four' that came before it.

I'm more worried about our ability to compete in Europe.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ferguson is a man who beat Mourinho to a league, twice. Mourinho with a billionaire owner that is.

errrr, you might want to check that!

Mourinho won the league in his first season and then his second.
    He got sacked part way through his 3rd

and in 12 games they played against one another

Mourinho won 6, Fergies won 1 and 5 were drawn

Fergie - "you cant buy the league"

Mourinho
    "I agree money doesn't buy points and victories. If you go back a few months, Porto, with 10% of Man United's budget, beat them. So he's absolutely correct. Money buys players but not a team."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-333991/Mourinho-vs-Ferguson-head-head.html#ixzz21CSUsT5H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

adox wrote: »
    Haven't been keeping abreast of things on here or in the media over the summer so probably a funny post alright.

Reminds me why I haven't been posting here since the end of the season.

I'll bow out again til the start of the season

Awww dont go, ive only just stopped being a lurker.... watching, waiting, taking photos.....

You might check your own facts while your at it. He left in his fourth season after finishing runner up the season before (his third).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think ye performed close to yer peak last season

You obviously didn't watch a lot of football then.

You obviously didn't watch a lot of football then.

I watched alot.

Although, ye may not have always played great, ye grinded out the results.

I think ye will do well to match last seasons points tally?

I agree but I think that City are far more advanced than Chelsea. I still think it will be us and City next year but I think Chelsea with a two solid CBs and another midfielder to play behind could be very dangerous. If Oscar, Hazard, Piazon and Mata can click they will be very good. I just still think they are about two years away before disturbing City.

I think city, United and Chelsea will become sort of an elite 'top three' for a few years similar to the 'top four' that came before it.

I'm more worried about our ability to compete in Europe.

errr Chelsea and Utd have been the top 2 for years now (save one lucky Liverpool year!)
    City finally crashed the party last season, again because of Romans impatientence in sacking a world class double winning coach and failing to invest properly in the team (buying an over priced and long done Torres for one) Then hiring an inexperinced manager - you know the story!

I'd never write off Utd, money or no money

errr Chelsea and Utd have been the top 2 for years now (save one lucky Liverpool year!)
    City finally crashed the party last season, again because of Romans impatientence in sacking a world class double winning coach and failing to invest properly in the team (buying an over priced and long done Torres for one) Then hiring an inexperinced manager - you know the story!

I'd never write off Utd, money or no money

I'm willing to write them off. Anyone fancy a wager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mourinho
    "I agree money doesn't buy points and victories. If you go back a few months, Porto, with 10% of Man United's budget, beat them. So he's absolutely correct. Money buys players but not a team."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-333991/Mourinho-vs-Ferguson-head-head.html#ixzz21CSUsT5H

Sorry, what?

Mourinho lost the league and was halfway losing another before he got the sack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I watched alot.

Although, ye may not have always played great, ye grinded out the results

And you call this playing "close to our peak"? GTFO tbh.

We had a squad that was absolutely decimated by injuries, including losing one of the best CBs in the world for pretty much the entire season and relying on a 37 year old to come out of retirement. Yet we were practically seconds away from winning the title.

Anyone who underestimates Utd and especially Fergie is absolutely fúcking deluded tbh.

• Advertisement

And you call this playing "close to our peak"? GTFO tbh.

We had a squad that was absolutely decimated by injuries, including losing one of the best CBs in the world for practically the entire season and relying on a 37 year old to come out of retirement. Yet we were practically seconds away from winning the title.

Anyone who underestimates Utd and especially Fergie is absolutely fúcking deluded tbh.

time will tell.

I watched alot.

Although, ye may not have always played great, ye grinded out the results.

I think ye will do well to match last seasons points tally?

hilarious! and I'm a chelsea fan!

Utd actually improved on the season before when they won it.
    2010/11 season they scored 78 goals with 37 conceded

last season they lost it on the last day (thanks in part to that psycho tweeter barton)
    and scored more and conceded less
    (89 goals and conceded 4 less)

But please, keep impressing us with your knowledge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mourinho

You might also want to check it as your both wrong!

I'm willing to write them off. Anyone fancy a wager.

Give me 33/1 on United for the league?

Same price as you can get on Spurs who I assume you would also write off?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    You might check your own facts while your at it. He left in his fourth season after finishing runner up the season before (his third).
    Yeah, I meant he left in Sept, thats hardly losing to Fergie is it?!

Even Avram Grant made the title go to the last game of that season!

kryogen wrote: »
    Give me 33/1 on United for the league?

Same price as you can get on Spurs who I assume you would also write off?

I don't think that's how it works.

United are 2/1 for the League.

We'll say €50 straight bet that United won't win the league in the next two seasons.

I didn't say he lost the league to United twice, that was another poster. Just pointing out he left during his fourth season rather than third. Sure didn't ye win the FA cup that season so it wasn't all bad (maybe league cup also???).

Em, yeah, he did lose the 2006/07 title, Manchester United won it, you really would think you would be aware of your clubs recent history?

He then started the 07 season badly, losing to Villa, drawing with Blackburn, being held 1-1 by Rosenborg. Then got the bullet

How long are you a Chelsea fan again? ;)

Eh nobody signs everyone they want when they want. United have brought some players in but it isnt as if they have a history of goin after loads of established players. I know they broke british records but it isnt as if united have fallen back, the two blues have just got a boost while united have grown more organically. You seem very negative considering the manner we lost the league to City's Galacticos and the fact we got Kagawa-serious lad, Vidic is back, the plethora of young lads are a year older, Fergie is angry this season and we are still in for three good players

• Advertisement

We'll say €50 straight bet that United won't win the league in the next two seasons.

No thanks, you said you were happy to write them off, making them second favourite for the league is some way from writing them off. Maybe you want to rephrase?

If you are writing them off then 33/1 is a very fair price

No thanks, you said you were happy to write them off, making them second favourite for the league is some way from writing them off. Maybe you want to rephrase?

Well when I say write them off, I mean they won't win it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

@djpsb.
    You say City were below their best???
    What is their best?
    It's not like they were racking up anywhere near that amount of points before.This is all new territory for them.

You also say you don't think United will match last seasons points tally.
    What gives you that impression?considering we have added another real attacking threat and the return of arguably our most important player after Rooney.
    Add to that the likes of De Gea,Jones and Smalling all with another years experience under their belts.

If we don't sign anybody else,although chances are we will,the team looks far more capable of competing for the league this season.

Well when I say write them off, I mean they won't win it?

Yes, and if you are sure they won't win it then surely 33/1 is a generous price from your point of view! If you are certain they wont win it why not offer 200/1 to me?

This is pointless tbh, you simply mis used a phrase. Whay you meant to say was that you think the bookies prices are a fair reflection of Uniteds chances of winning the league.

This is not even close to writing them off, but there ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Premier league years for last season on sky sports one now lads.

May settle some discussions

Em, yeah, he did lose the 2006/07 title, Manchester United won it, you really would think you would be aware of your clubs recent history?

He then started the 07 season badly, losing to Villa, drawing with Blackburn, being held 1-1 by Rosenborg. Then got the bullet

How long are you a Chelsea fan again? ;)

Yeah I know - he confused me saying he had lost it twice - plsu its friday night and the beer fridge is open! :D

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    @djpsb.
    You say City were below their best???
    What is their best?
    It's not like they were racking up anywhere near that amount of points before.This is all new territory for them.

You also say you don't think United will match last seasons points tally.
    What gives you that impression?considering we have added another real attacking threat and the return of arguably our most important player after Rooney.
    Add to that the likes of De Gea,Jones and Smalling all with another years experience under their belts.

If we don't sign anybody else,although chances are we will,the team looks far more capable of competing for the league this season.

I don't think City reached the level which they should have considering the potential of the players they have at their disposal.

While I think ye over achieved with the players ye had available.

Realistically, a team that features Scholes and Giggs on a regular basis at this stage of their career is a sign of a team in demise IMO.

Yes, ye added Kagawa but I don't see where he slots in. He plays in the hole off the main striker which I didn't really think was a problem area for ye.

I thought Jones and Smalling did well last season, I can't season them improving much beyond that level next season.

I think Ferdinand is off the pace, Vidic won't return to the same level I'd imagine.

Of course I could be totally wrong but we will see. I don't think ye will be miles off the pace but just not strong enough to finish first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I'll bite. Make it a ton and we have a bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Of course I could be totally wrong
    Yep. :)

City and United had an impressive points total last season,it doesn't get all that much higher than that.
    I don't see City going out this season and smashing that.

Yes, and if you are sure they won't win it then surely 33/1 is a generous price from your point of view! If you are certain they wont win it why not offer 200/1 to me?

This is pointless tbh, you simply mis used a phrase. Whay you meant to say was that you think the bookies prices are a fair reflection of Uniteds chances of winning the league.

This is not even close to writing them off, but there ya go

I am writing them off in the sense that I don't think Fergie will win the League again. They will always be there at the top end of the table, but I don't think they will have the edge to beat both City and Chelsea to the title.

I don't think I am miss using the phrase tbh.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I'll bite. Make it a ton and we have a bet.

A tonne of sand.

• Advertisement

I don't think City reached the level which they should have considering the potential of the players they have at their disposal.

While I think ye over achieved with the players ye had available.

Realistically, a team that features Scholes and Giggs on a regular basis at this stage of their career is a sign of a team in demise IMO.

Yes, ye added Kagawa but I don't see where he slots in. He plays in the hole off the main striker which I didn't really think was a problem area for ye.

I thought Jones and Smalling did well last season, I can't season them improving much beyond that level next season.

I think Ferdinand is off the pace, Vidic won't return to the same level I'd imagine.

Of course I could be totally wrong but we will see. I don't think ye will be miles off the pace but just not strong enough to finish first.

Scholes was brought in as cover :confused:
    Giggs is past it but united have good youth all over the park, this is a team on the way up, only place the main lads are the wrong side of 30 is cb

I am writing them off ...

Then take the bet. Written off would mean that they are a massive outside bet for the league a la pool, swansea, villa.

A tonne of sand.
    You want the bet or not pal? Your the one shooting your mout off. Put your money up if your so confident.

I am writing them off in the sense that I don't think Fergie will win the League again. They will always be there at the top end of the table, but I don't think they will have the edge to beat both City and Chelsea to the title.

write someone or something off
    to drop someone or something from consideration

You want the bet or not pal? Your the one shooting your mout off. Put your money up if your so confident.

Who's shouting their mouth off?

I am portraying an opinion, in what I thought was a civilised manner, is that not allowed?

It may differ from others but sure that's the way it goes.

Who's shouting their mouth off?

I am portraying an opinion, in what I thought was a civilised manner, is that not allowed?

It may differ from others but sure that's the way it goes.

You also asked if anyone wanted a bet. If I was writing someone off for something I'd have no problem betting on it.

Quote:

write someone or something off
    to drop someone or something from consideration

Think we can write djPSB off so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Take it to the gambling forum :P

You also asked if anyone wanted a bet. If I was writing someone off for something I'd have no problem betting on it.

Who would have such vast amounts of money to gamble in these tough recessionary times. Times are so tough yanno.

But the €50 'fun' bet still stands if anyone fancies it.

Who would have such vast amounts of money to gamble in these tough recessionary times. Times are so tough yanno.

But the €50 'fun' bet still stands if anyone fancies it.

€100 a vast amount of money over 2 years? I'm sure u can swing a euro a week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement