Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you reply when someone ends a text conversation with 'Talk to you later'?

• 15-06-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Just a quick survey...

If someone has a text conversation with you and replies with a long text that finishes with TTYL or 'talk to you later' or similar, do you reply or do you just consider that the end of the conversation and don't text back? :D

So, do you reply to a closing text that says TTYL or 'Talk to you Later'? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

No, I don't reply.
    I'm not the best at social etiquette and that kind of thing though, so maybe you are 'supposed to' reply.
    Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Someone tells you: "Talk to you later" and then you immediately resume talking to them...

Makes sense alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Only if the text was free, just to say goodbye.

If it costs, they'll understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

k

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Someone tells you: "Talk to you later" and then you immediately resume talking to them...

Makes sense alright.

Well if you've had a conversation with someone for a while then it's nice to say 'Sure, bye.', no?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Depends on whether or not there's anything left to say. For instance, I might send my friend simey a text saying 'u owe me 20 beans frm lst nite' (it's a text so I have to write like a gimp). And he might reply with 'TTYL bbz' at which point I'd have to send him another text containing a picture-message of my ball sack with an angry face drawn on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I'll get back to you on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No, I don't. I never bother replying to texts-they usually ring you to ask "did you get my text??" and you can have a quick conversation and sort out wtf they want rather than trying to type out a long load of crap using a keyboard the size of a stamp. I may be a boll1x.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I usually end with 'Good Luck'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Vivara wrote: »
    Just a quick survey...

If someone has a text conversation with you and replies with a long text that finishes with TTYL or 'talk to you later' or similar, do you reply or do you just consider that the end of the conversation and don't text back? :D

I said that to someone recently but received a reply asking me '@ wat tme so I'm 4e?' . That just made me cringe tbh.

Normally though, when I say 'chat later' the person gets the point/ reason and don't actually reply at that point. I don't reply when it's said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

"You will yeah. Dickhead."

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I reply. If you were having a conversation with someone, and they said "Talk you you later" would you just turn around and walk away? No. You'd say "Cool. Talk to you later. Good luck" or something like that. It's common courtesy, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

when someone texts me 'talk to you later' i usually just reply with 'so did you watch the match?'

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

i wouldn't reply to the other stuff they said in the text, i'd just say 'ok bye' or something if i was gonna reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Why not reply?
    It's only a small message.
    X.X.X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

policarp wrote: »
    Why not reply?
    It's only a small message.
    X.X.X.

That's code for "I would like us to make a sex tape". You don't want to jump in with that at the end of a light conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ladyarse

Wouldn't text back, waste of time.. Maybe just laziness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

ladyarse wrote: »
    Wouldn't text back, waste of time.. Maybe just laziness :D

But yet, you registered just to write that?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ladyarse

I registered a few days ago, after months of not registering due to again laziness :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

No, its them effectively ending the convo by telling you they wont reply again.

Texting after that is just desperate.

Although to be fair my Da does it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I end all my text conversations with, "take care of yourself and each other." Then I wink at the camera I imagine following me around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

End your conversations with vocally atheist acquaintances with "God bless!". Tends to be one goodbye that always provokes a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Talk to you later = the person wants to talk later, not now.
    So i dont reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I always reply with "cool wb xxx"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

No I don't think I would text back, what's the point :confused: If anything it's irritating when someone has to send a reply to everything when it's only just an 'ok ttyl'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I sign off all texts with "Toodeloo!"

Or tddl in txtspk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

instead of using the abbreviation ttyl i usually will say see you later or talk to you later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I usually text back "Ok cya talk to you later" or something along the lines of that.

Advertisement