Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC to Third level wihout LC maths

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Your post is a little confusing, but there are three points I think need to be made:

1. I had a look at the course you want to do and there is quite a bit of Maths in it. It's not clear from your post if you have actually repeated it this year. Even if you managed to avoid the Maths requirement, someone who didn't pass it in the LC would find the first two years of this course extremely difficult. The entry requirement is there for a reason.

2. You talk about 'full progression' from a FETAC Level 5 course into Multimedia in WIT. The way the Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS) works is that there are a limited number of places on a third level course for FETAC students doing a linked course and they have to compete against each other. Essentially what this means is that you would have to get all distinctions in your Level 5 to be in with a chance of getting your place in WIT. Repeating the LC gives you far better odds of getting in.

3. Most colleges of further education are run by VECs, so I doubt WCFE is run by WIT.

I doubt that both the man in Clonmel and your career guidance teacher are wrong - the Clonmel course will get you in, but you still need your Maths. Your best bet is to ring WIT to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

WCFE is not run by WIT, it is a VEC college. If you got in (based on interview and having 5 passes - any passes) and you did very well, Distinctions, you would have a chance of getting into Multimedia in WIT. It is not guaranteed but its a good chance. WCFE cannot guarantee you getting into WIT, its up to WIT, same for Clonmel.

However the WIT multimedia is very maths based and you would struggle if your maths was not up to standard. Have you looked at LIT, their course is Multimedia but not so maths based.

Unfortunately you are not likely to get into WCFE at this stage in the year, there are two rounds of interviews gone and the course is most likely full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Ha,sorry,i thought it all sounded a bit confusing,you got it though.

So you're fairly sure the course in Clonmel will get me in to wit?

when you say I'll still need maths,do you mean as a course requirement or for my own good? because i'm fairly good with maths,the only reason why i don't think i got it (yes,i did repeat it) is because of project maths which i wasn't allowed do because i didn't do a course in it,and all but one qeustion in papper 2 was project maths.

As you, your guidance counsellor and the guy in Clonmel were talking about points, I'm guessing that you can get in to your course in WIT under the Pilot Scheme (FETAC results converted into points) and not under HELS (limited places on certain courses for FETAC students). However, it's not clear from the WIT prospectus, so I can't recommend ringing the Admissions Office and/or the Multimedia department enough. They are the only ones who can confirm this. It is my opinion that you have to meet the Maths entry requirement, but you have to contact them to confirm.

Do ring them, have your questions prepared and don't end up doing something that won't get you where you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

• Advertisement
Advertisement