Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricolour on coffin

• 15-06-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Few of us wondering can anyone be buried with the tricolour on the coffin? Or do you have to be someone important? Just wondeing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

you can be buried any way you want.

Hell, stick on a green white and orange sequin gown and wig if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Anyone can as far as I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

migemo wrote: »
    Few of us wondering can anyone be buried with the tricolour on the coffin? Or do you have to be someone important? Just wondeing.
    Anyone can.

What happens is that you buy a custom made flag which is draped over the coffin, it is then removed in the graveyard and presented to the family.

Generally only patriots would have the flag on their coffin, but I guess anyone could do it if they fancied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'm sure if a family puts a tricolor on a deceased loved one's coffin not a word would be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

How would you prounce tricolour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

try-colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

migemo wrote: »
    Churches, etc. may be reluctant to have flags inside the church. You also need the undertakers, pall bearers, cemetery, etc. to accept it.

The flag usually isn't buried.

phasers wrote: »
    try-colour.
    Some say trick-ler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Some say trick-ler

They're idiots.

Victor wrote: »
    Churches, etc. may be reluctant to have flags inside the church. You also need the undertakers, pall bearers, etc. to accept it.
    In practice, even though flags are apparently flags are forbidden in churches, generally nothing is said by priests.

• Advertisement

They're idiots.
    lol

I didnt know wtf they were on about the first time I heard it.

Could just be the thick accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Some say trick-ler
    thats a blue white and red tri-colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Flags other than Irish ones might draw more attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

But not as much attention as a volley of gunfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think we need to bury the Ireland football team's Euros efforts in a triicolour.

And possibly some concrete for safety's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Surely you can. You may raise a few eyebrows if you place it with the deceased before a cremation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I think we need to bury the Ireland football team's Euros efforts in a triicolour.

And possibly some concrete for safety's sake.

We can end the funeral service with The Fields of Athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's a tradition for anyone serving in the defence forces (Gardai, Fire Bridge, Navy, Army, etc) to have a tri-colour draped over the coffin until burial when, like mentioned above, it is removed, folded and presented to the family for a reason i can only think of as being the state saying "Thank you" to you for having a child give their life in service of the country represented by the flag.

But i'd say you can have whatever you want on the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If things weren't depressing enough... :D

It's a tradition for anyone serving in the defence forces (Gardai, Fire Bridge, Navy, Army, etc) to have a tri-colour draped over the coffin until burial when, like mentioned above, it is removed, folded and presented to the family for a reason i can only think of as being the state saying "Thank you" to you for having a child give their life in service of the country represented by the flag.

But i'd say you can have whatever you want on the coffin.
    Traditional for republicans too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Schism wrote: »
    I'm sure if a family puts a tricolor on a deceased loved one's coffin not a word would be said.

Well, not to their face at least. I've always found it odd that at a couple of funerals where people had died having done nothing of note for the country have had a tri-colour draped over their coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I want to be buried with a flag with a velociraptor on it, just to confuse future archaeologists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I want to be buried with a flag with a velociraptor on it, just to confuse future archaeologists.

You're too late.
    They're all gone. .
    Try a neantherthall

from Coppers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

But not as much attention as a volley of gunfire.
    tried that once, now i've a hole in my foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And then go on and on about being the Best Mourners in the World. :pac:

Even though some will only turn up at the funeral for the session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And then go on and on about being the Best Mourners in the World. :pac:

Even though some will only turn up at the funeral for the session.

Sure we have that won already, Irish funerals can be great craic and are world famous:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Im nearly sure that you had to of done something to have the flag on your coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Victor wrote: »
    Churches, etc. may be reluctant to have flags inside the church ---

Well, they won't have that problem with me when I kick the bucket, because I wouldn't be found dead inside a church. :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

realies wrote: »
    Sure we have that won already, Irish funerals can be great craic and are world famous:)

Could maybe make a tourist attraction out it.

"Visit Ireland and go to a real genuine Irish funeral. Craic agus ceoil!!! The locals are just dying to see you!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I want to be buried with a pirates flag on the coffin saying 'Here lies me booty' then when they open it, I've my penis sticking out of my fly. Yarrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 39 prometheus2012

Yes, you can, but Irish etiquette says you cannot. Same as the Tricolour should not be flown after 6pm or before dawn. Loads of rules, but they're not observed at funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes, you can, but Irish etiquette says you cannot. Same as the Tricolour should not be flown after 6pm or before dawn. Loads of rules, but they're not observed at funerals.

Ya for one thing the flag is NOT allowed to touch the ground, unless in defeat during battle, albert reynolds let it fall to the ground starting some race a few years back, my father went spare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I've been at a funeral where the flag of a rowing club was draped over the coffin. It made me laugh cause the deceased hadn't rowed in 60 years and hadn't lived in the city for nearly as long. Some people just like a flag.

Advertisement