Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIFLE LAWS

• 16-06-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all
    I'am looking for info on getting a rifle cert for .22 for target shooting
    1. does anyone know what the super in louth is like for issuing firearm certs is he pro or con.
    2. I live in dundalk my nearest club and range is just across the border so how would this affect my application (ie) could i get a licence to cross the border every weekend
    3. if i became a member of this club would this be any good when applying for the licence in the republic. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you would have to join a club in the republic to get the licence. and if you wanted to shoot over the border you would need a european firearms pass and a permission from the psni. you won't get a licence without being a member of a garda authorized range or with permission to shoot vermin on someones land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Nope, its no good. I was refused in Dundalk for a Northern Ireland target club.

THe nearest club after that is the midlands and he wasnt very pushed on that idea either I dont think. I moved house soon after- problem solved :D

I wouldnt like to say that the Dundalk Super is anti-firearms. But I will say that he doesnt give them out lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

Mike87 wrote: »
    Nope, its no good. I was refused in Dundalk for a Northern Ireland target club.

THe nearest club after that is the midlands and he wasnt very pushed on that idea either I dont think. I moved house soon after- problem solved :D

I wouldnt like to say that the Dundalk Super is anti-firearms. But I will say that he doesnt give them out lightly.

Hi Mike,

Just browsing and noticed you are on line, so here is a question if you do'nt mind.--- I applied for a .22 rifle licence last week (in Cork )have you any idea how long the process takes? and what chance have I of being successful? All my details are positive. ( I also ticked the sound moderator box).

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Can take anything up to 3 months...depends on your district really. If you have everything in order(land permisson/range membership, security etc) then you should be fine.

Hi Blay,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you don't hear anything in eight weeks I would give the district office a ring and speak to the supers secretary she will be able to tell you how the application is going,sometimes they can forget.:rolleyes: Good luck with your application.

Hi Juice,
    Thanks a lot for your help and appreciate the 'Good Luck' wish.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

021CRETE01 wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

Just browsing and noticed you are on line, so here is a question if you do'nt mind.--- I applied for a .22 rifle licence last week (in Cork )have you any idea how long the process takes? and what chance have I of being successful? All my details are positive. ( I also ticked the sound moderator box).

Cheers.

Keep pushing them if you hear nothing in 5-6 weeks, I got a grant notice today I put the application in last March. That's almost 6 months

Advertisement